Posted in Potatoes, Sara

My Mom’s yummy twice-baked potatoes are a staple on our family dinner table at every holiday. It’s been that way since I was a kid. They are a hit with all age groups, every time. If you’re not a fan of bleu cheese, don’t stop reading!I will say here in writing that I actually don’t care for the blue stuff either. I actually really dislike it (gasp!) – yet I can devour more than one of these potatoes in a sitting.The cheese is just enough to add that perfect hint of flavor, without being overbearing. Most people can’t even put their finger on what that flavor is. It’s just….good. I can’t tell you how many blue-cheese haters have told me they love these potatoes!So give it a shot; I can promise that 99% of you will love them (hey, I can’t account for any wackos out there with dysfunctional taste buds!)

Stuffed Bleu Cheese Potatoes

4 medium baking potatoes
½ Cup sour cream
1 oz (1/4 cup) crumbled bleu cheese
¼ Cup milk or buttermilk
4 Tbs real butter, cut into chunks
¾ tsp salt
Dash pepper
½ t garlic powder
8 pieces bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
Grated cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.Wash and dry potatoes.Rub them lightly with a bit of shortening or vegetable oil (helps crisp the skin) and place directly on oven rack, or a cookie sheet.Bake for one hour or until potatoes are done.

2. Remove potatoes and let cool just a bit.Cut an opening on the top and hollow out each potato, OR cut each potato in half (as shown in photos) to make 8 servings.You may want to hold them with a potholder as they will still be hot!

3. Scoop out the insides and place in a bowl. Mash, and add butter, sour cream, bleu cheese, milk, salt, pepper, and garlic. Beat with a hand mixer until fluffy. Carefully spoon mixture back into potato shells. Place in a baking dish.

Return to hot oven and bake for 12-15 minutes.

4. Remove and sprinkle bacon and cheddar cheese over each potato

bake an additional 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly

Now sit back and soak in all of the compliments!

Kate says:

Yum! So quick question–would it be totally un-Kosher to cut them in half and have 8 potato halves instead of 4 whole potatoes?

Sara says:

I don’t see anything wrong with that- as long as the potatoes are round enough to hold in the mashed potatoes; they’re pretty soft. If you try it, let me know how it goes!

At first there were two... says:

I have always cut them in half, and, like Sara said, if they are large enough it will work. I have tried it with smaller potatoes but sometimes ended up making a hole in the skin in effort to get enough “meat” from the potato.

Becca says:

Mmmmmmm bleu cheese potatoes… It is true we REALLY love these potatoes in our family, and the only person who actually likes bleu cheese is my mom! I personally have a hard time not gagging when I smell it- I have to hold my breath when opening the container, but lately I have found myself sprinkling a little extra into these potatoes because it makes them so dang GOOD!!!!

Hillary says:

I’ll definitely have to try those!

Tara says:

Wow, looks SO yummy! Thanks!

Mmmmm. . .yes, I’m dreaming of Christmas dinner.

Charis says:

Okay I want to be in your families.
    They must be so well fed :-) All of your recipes look so good and easy! I haven’t tried any yet – I just don’t cook that often…. But there are so many I am going to try.

storyengineer says:

I just made these for Easter dinner. We loved them! Thanks for the recipe!

Sara says:

Kate, I have to tell you that just for the heck of it I tried these cut in half today. They definitely work better as whole potatoes because the mashed part is so soft and creamy. But hey, if it’s just for you and you don’t care about aesthetics, then go for it. They still *taste* fantastic :)

Angela says:

Made these with the routis chicken, it was really good, we couldn’t taste the blue cheese but still loved them.

The Nedrys says:

Wow, I made these for Mother’s Day dinner and they were AMAZING! I am not a fan of blue cheese at all; in fact, I hate it. However, I saw this recipe and what people had to say and decided to give it a try. Boy, am I glad I did! The blue cheese gives it such a subtle, but yummy flavor. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful recipes! I love your site and get new ideas from it all the time!

Chocolate Shavings says:

This looks just too good!

mhgdblog says:

Are you kidding me with these? I want to lick my computer screen. YUM!

Cheri says:

Yum! These sound delicious!

gaga says:

Looks beautiful! I like blue cheese, so I'm sure I would love these.

Southern Belle Mama says:

I made these for a covered dish dinner and they were wonderful! I was extra happy that I put back one for myself and my husband to eat!

adrianne says:

i just made these last night for my husbands birthday along with a filet. I think he fell even more in love with me because of it! haha but no really they were incredible:) Thanks so much

Heather says:

Sigh . . . you ladies make cooking soo much more fun. We are blessed to read your fun posts and try your delicious recipes! XOXO!

The Chipmans says:

These sound so good, but I am a baked potato flunky. I have never had my baked potatoes come out right. How do you know when they are done? Did you poke holes in your potatoes?

Chipmans- what's usually the problem? Are they not cooked enough? I just poke them with a knife and you can feel if they're soft inside or still stiff.

The Chipmans says:

It seems like no matter how long I cook them, they are always stiff.

Stephanie says:

It was my job to come up with a new sweet potato dish for Thanksgiving this year, but then I saw this recipe that made my mouth water. Bleu cheese and bacon? Yes please! I used this recipe but altered it just a bit by using fat, round sweet potatoes instead and I left off the cheddar cheese on top. Instead replaced it with some crumbled spiced pecans. The flavors were great with sweet potatoes, making this a super versatile dish. Loved it–thanks!

jamie says:

I don't know how I found your blog but I am so glad I did! LOVED these potatoes.

J says:

After weeks of trying to decide which recipe to try first I finally narrowed it down to these potatoes.They were fantastic and the blue cheese gives the mashed potatoes just enough tang. I paired it with the beef dip sandwiches and it was a great meal. Now I'm back to square one with deciding which dish to make for my follow up performance.

Stacie says:

Just wondering how much of this recipe can be done the day before? Thanks

Marissa says:

So, I have a bunch of feta cheese in the fridge right now that I need to use… do you think it would work with feta?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Marissa–Yep, you can totally use the feta!! Super yummy! :)

Miranda says:

I have the same question as Stacie. I'm looking to make these for a suprise Brithday party for my parents this Friday.I work all day and will only have a few hours before we plan to do dinner. do you think these would be ok if I prepared them up to the point they are supposed to go in oven the night before? And then pop them in the oven before the party?

Miranda says:

Just a follow up. I made these for the second time tonight and they are soo delicious everyone LOVED them. I typically HATE bleu cheese.. like makes me gag. But like you said somehow in these potatoes they just lend the perfect kick. I made these the night before and then topped with bacon and cheese and popped them in the oven before dinner. They need a bit more time to heat through but they worked great. I think next time I make these I'll do the same thing it was so nice just to pop them in the oven. You ladies rock! Thanks for helping me make my parent's Birthdays special!

Sami says:

These were TO DIE FOR!! Thank you such a delicious recipe with ingredients I just happened to have!!

Lalani says:

Oh so perfect. SO perfect.

Teresa says:

Made these as a surprise for my husband, he adored them. He alone ate 4 of the 8 halves. I was nervous about the blue cheese, over all I find blue cheese pretty scary and smelly. But with the great reviews I gave it a try. This is going to be one I pull out when I want to impress people without looking like I’m trying to hard. =) A winner in my book.

Owned by a Westie says:

WOW – that’s all, just WOW! The picture alone is making me drool (a reaction that happens far too often when perusing the recipes on your site!) Definitely going to make these tomorrow along with your meatloaf recipe – can’t wait! Thanks!

Holly McNeil says:

I think I will make this tonight, throwing my bacon in for the last 15 minutes of baking the potatoes the first time (I LOVE your oven baked bacon!). Perfect dinner with a green salad, THANKS!

Y4LYFE says:

These are awesome! I like to add some gravy granules into the mash and deepens the flavor.

Kimberly says:

can I freeze these completely done between parchment paper and warm them on the day of?