Have you tried and tried to replicate fresh sweetened whipped cream but can’t do it? Yeah, I did that for a long time, too. When I worked at Kneaders, I even offered to make the whipped cream for the waffles one morning so I could learn the secret, but they wouldn’t let me because it was just that special.

Fast forward a few years when I discovered it was way easier than I thought it would be. I don’t know if this is how Kneaders made their whipped cream, but it tastes the same to me. I kept doing nutty things like adding vanilla and using granulated sugar; turns out all you need is whipping cream and powdered sugar.

Anne says:

Thank you for the tip!

Hillary says:

I had the epiphany this past Thanksgiving to use powdered sugar instead of granulated, and the difference in my whipped cream was insane! Soooo good! I also put a small amount of vanilla extract into my whipped cream as well, and it’s delish!!

Megan says:

I just made this to top my birthday dessert, and I can't believe how well the leftovers have lasted in the fridge compared to my usual granulated sugar type! Thanks for sharing this great tip!

mom says:

A little cinnamon is good if serving with pumpkin pie. Also, using powdered sugar instead of granulated, keeps it from going watery when leftovers are stored in the frig. So, ya, you got it just right.

Mary says:

Awesome tip! I used cinnamon and vanilla in mine and am going to top Kate’s Crumb-Topped Apple Pie with it.

Mel says:

My ganoche for the mini cheesecakes did not work out, so I used the rest of the whipping cream and made sweetened whipped cream. I knew exactly where to go to find help! Thanks!

pickbet says:

I also use a bit of vanilla extract in my whipped cream. It add so much flavor. Just add a few drops and see if it doesn't make it taste better. I don't measure but I'd guess I use at least a 1/2 tsp in a half pint of cream.

Holly Weston says:

Since this was an old post but I love browsing through your blog – let's hope your comments are emailed to you! I have never heard of making sweet whipped cream with granulated sugar. I grew up with the powdered sugar/vanilla recipe. I too would strongly recommend a little bit of pure vanilla – it just adds a great flavor to the cream. I'm sure by now you've tried if you really wanted too – after all, this post is two years old – but I just thought I'd throw in my two cents!

Annarose says:

Ha, I figured this out too a couple of Christmases ago! We were at a friend’s house for dinner and when it came time for dessert, her boyfriend disappeared in the kitchen to make the whipped cream. Now I’ve never really cared for whipped cream- blasphemy, I know- but that whipped cream was incredible. He told me it was whipping cream with powdered sugar and vanilla. The funny thing is that I’m not a big fan of the flavor of vanilla (I know, terrible) OR powdered sugar (its the cornstarch), but whipped cream made this way is just wonderful. My favorite way to enjoy it is on top of fresh pineapple. Seriously yummy!

Jolayne says:

I learned this trick when researching how to make Black Forest cupcakes. So wonderfully simple!

Jenn says:

can you store this in the refridgerator to use as a sub for cool whip then?

Jenn says:

ummmm hahaha…. I had NO idea that I posted on this yesterday? LOL!

If I wanted to add some pumpkin pie spice to the whipped cream to make it “spicier”, how much should I add?

[...] 6 large, stale butter croissants 1 8-ounce package cream cheese 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, divided 2 lemons 1 1/4 teaspoons lemon extract 2 eggs 1 1/2 cups milk Strawberry Sauce Sliced fresh strawberries (about 2 cups) Sweetened Whipped Cream (optional) [...]

Bethany says:

It also really helps (if you live in a super warm climate and your kitchen is always hot like mine) to keep a metal bowl and an extra mixer whisk in the freezer. As a baker out of my home in Louisiana, this has proven to be a lifesaver when making whipped cream icing!

Meggymoo12 says:

Hiya, is this recipe English cups or American cups ?