Posted in Grill, Kate, Latin, Poultry

Okay. I’m being a board hog today. I’m also craving Mexican food. One of the major disadvantages to living in the South is that there is very little in the way of good Mexican food, so I have to make it myself. I’ll be posting a recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup on Friday, but I wanted to share some tips with you today as well as a recipe for chicken that you can use for anything–fill small flour tortillas with this chicken, some cheese, a little cabbage, guacamole, and pico de gallo, and you’ll think you’ve gone to heaven. Make taco salads with this instead of ground beef. The best thing about it is that you probably have (or will have) all or most of the ingredients in your house and that it’s EASY.

Here’s the lineup (other than chicken of course):

Juice 2 limes and combine them with a couple splashes of red wine vinegar and some garlic. Pour over chicken. This will not completely cover the chicken; just turn it occasionally as needed. Marinate for at least 4 hours, no longer than 8.

Heat an outdoor grill (you can also use a grill pan inside. Or your broiler in your oven.) Combine salt, chili powder, cumin, and black pepper in a small bowl. Remove chicken from marinade and rub the spices all over the chicken. Isn’t raw meat disgusting-looking?

Grill about 7 minutes per side.

Remove from heat and allow to stand a few minutes so it doesn’t lose its juiciness. You can either eat the chicken as it is, maybe with Mexican rice and beans, or use slice it up and use it as you would taco meat.

Sara says:

“I can tell you right now that I’m a breast girl and Sara prefers thighs”

Okay, am I the only one who laughed out loud at that comment? Sounds like something a guy would say, haha.

(And I should clarify that my thigh preference only comes into play with specific recipes. Some just don’t turn out the same with one or the other!)

Man! I have never seen such artistic and beautiful pictures of frozen chicken and ingredients. I’m addicted to your blog. It’s so. . . yummy!

Hillary says:

I thought the same thing you did at first, Sara! Kate is one perverted chickadee! :P

That chicken looks really good. We recently discovered how delish chicken thighs can be in place of breasts in some of our favorite recipes.

Do you guys have a spot on here for submitting recipes? I’ve got some really fantastic ones!

Sara says:

Hillary- we’ve been tossing around the idea of a reader recipe contest, so keep checking back and maybe you’ll find more info on that in the weeks to come!

Tyler & Meagan says:

I made chicken tacos with this chicken. YUM! Everyone loved them. I made some cilantro lime rice, doctored up a can of black beans, added guacamole and other taco stuff and it was so yummy.

If I had known it was so good I would have made more! We ran out and everyone was bummed.

I also have some good recipes for you, if you ever go that direction.

Thanks so much… I can’t wait to try your other recipes!

Tyler & Meagan says:

I also have some good recipes for you, if you ever go that direction.

Thanks so much… I can’t wait to try your other recipes!

Tyler & Meagan says:

I also have some good recipes for you, if you ever go that direction.

Thanks so much… I can’t wait to try your other recipes!

Heidi says:

I loved how yummy this chicken was and it was so easy, my kind of meal!!

The Whitmore's says:

I’m so excited to find your site! I just got married and became and instant mom to three great kids. Having been busy in my career (with companies like Costa V ida and R umbi) I haven’t spent a lot of time in the kitchen! Your recipe’s are so clear and easy to follow! Can’t wait to try the tortilla soup tonight with my family! (The recipe is not too far off from Costa’s!) Thanks again——Amy

Katherine says:

love this chicken, so flavorful!

Esi says:

Looks easy and delicious

Kevin says:

That chicken looks tasty!

Amber says:

This was so great in the taquitos! Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

Rachel Porter says:

I'm going to try this one this week, with it being winter here and all in Kansas City. Can you give me the down low of how to cook the chicken with the broiler setting on the oven? I'm such a novice.

Rachel, place your chicken on a broiler pan, or a foil-lined baking sheet. To avoid burning, I would set the broiler temp to medium (if you have that option) or move the chicken down a rack so it's not right below the heating element. Broil for 5-6 minutes on each side, although timing will depend on the thickness. You may find it easier to just heat up a skillet and saute the chicken that way- it works too.

Nikkers says:

I am trying this recipe today, but I had extra chicken in need of being cooked and am going to try putting it in the dutch oven with all the same ingredients (including the spices) and letting it cook all day till it shreds easily. Then I will use it for your tortilla soup! Looking forward to trying both recipes, my family loves mexican so I hope they like these as well!

kevnjess says:

Very tasty on it’s own, or incorporated into other recipes!

Sadi says:

Any suggestions on how to cook this chicken in the crockpot so that it’s super easy yet will shred for tacos??

Lacey says:

A friend of mine just told me today she tried it in the crockpot and loved it. She just put all the ingredients in at the same time and cooked it all on low for 3-4 hours. She used this crockpot version for the Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos. I’m going to try it as well this week.

Lalani says:

Loved the chicken. I rarely marinate, and now I am dying to do it again. So good.

Rachael says:

We had this chicken last night with a yummy black bean and corn salsa, in corn tortillas. The chicken was a hit, and the whole dinner was delicious! We have loved everything we’ve made from your cookbook and website!

Laura says:

Paired with the cilantro-ranch dressing, this dish is so good I can’t stop craving it. While I’m eating it for dinner I’m already thinking of when I can make it next. It makes an awesome bed time snack and I can’t wait to eat it again for dinner tonight.

Megan says:

Has anyone tried this marinade on salmon yet? :)

Tracey L says:

Grilling up this chicken right now. We’re having it with cilantro lime rice and grilled vegetables. Can’t wait!

Tracey L says:

Me again….making the chicken tonight for taco salads! De-lish!!

Kirsten says:

Have you ever tried freezing this? I do a lot of freezer meals and I wanted to do this, but I was unsure when you said don’t marinate it longer than 8 hours. I would love it if you would do a freezer meal section to your recipe index.

Kelly says:

Awesome chicken! I cut it into cubes, added some mexican spice blend, and sauted it. My boyfriend (who’s puerto rican) loved it. Thanks for the recipe–I bet it would be even more awesome grilled!

Jeni Mason says:

Yum! Just made the taco chicken and the family loves it! Thank you for another great recipe!

Anny says:

This was great!!!! My one and three year old devoured an entire piece before it made it to the table! Delish!!!!

D'Arcy says:

I just stumbled across this chicken recipe from Pinterest, so glad I did! I was looking for something new and exciting, and I wanted to make big batches of chicken for freezing. Can’t wait to try it.

I made it tonight. It was great!

Misty Conn says:

Ok so this might be a silly question but could I still use this marinate with an an already cooked chicken? I made a rotisserie chicken yesterday, with just simple spices. Today I really want to make your chicken tortilla soup but want to give it everything it calls for including the correct kinda chicken. I was thinking of marinating most of the day and then heating it back up on the stove to cook in the flavor. Do you think that would turn out ok, or am i better off just making another one of your fabulous soups (like white chicken chili-YUM)with my leftover chicken?

Ashley says:

Do you normally make your own mexi-rice or just buy store bought Lipton mexi-rice. If you make it would you mind sharing your recipe. Would love to make this for dinner tonight.

Melissa says:

Thank you for the great recipe. This is a staple at our house now. Tonight we shredded in soft flour tortillas with Pioneer Woman’s pico de gallo and guacamole. Your blog is my favorite!

dee says:

This is officially my go-to chicken recipe from now on. I originally made this for the creamy chicken taquitos.. and I was lucky I had any leftover for the taquitos because I couldn’t stop eating it. I’ve tried tons of mexican and salsa chicken recipes but they’re all bland compared to this. This recipe packs so much flavor and is perfectly spicy… it’s amazing.

Amanda says:

I’ve used this recipe with chicken and it’s awesome! But I’m wondering….has anyone ever used this recipe with fish, like tilapia? I’m craving tacos tonight, but we’ve had a lot of chicken lately and I LOVE fish tacos!! Thanks for the awesome recipe and for the help!

Jackie says:

Not great Mexican in the South? What? Come over the border to Texas. We’ve got great Mexican or TexMex.

BTW- love this recipe.

True–but I generally don’t consider Texas or Florida part of the “South”–they’re definitely their own places and don’t really fit the Louisiana/Mississippi/Alabama South, you know? (Not saying Texas is like Florida, either, just that they’re both in the South but different from the rest of the south). I looooove Texas and when I need a real Mexican food fix, that’s where we go. :)