Posted in Condiments, Italian, Kate

Okay, I’m throwing Sara a fast one because this is not what was planned for today. But I’ve come to realize that Johnny’s garlic bread seasoning isn’t available everywhere. This week, I have literally checked out every store in my area that supposedly carries Johnny’s and no one has it. And as much as I love it, I’m not about to shell out $7 to have a $6 jar of garlic bread seasoning shipped to me. So I decided to make my own and share the recipe with all of you because I’m sure there are plenty of you in the same pickle.

This is about as easy as it gets.

Garlic Bread Seasoning

1/2 c. powdered Parmesan cheese
2 tsp. Kosher salt (you may want to start with 1 and sample since parmesan can vary in saltiness)
2 Tbsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. basil
2 tsp. marjoram
2 tsp. parsley

Combine ingredients in a jar (preferably one with a sprinkle top) and shake. Well, don’t shake until you’ve put the lid on, but I assume most of you are smart enough to figure that out! :)
Sprinkle on top of breadsticks or combine 1 1/2 Tbsp. seasoning with 1/2 c. of softened real butter and spread on a loaf of French bread (cut in 1/2 lengthwise). Wrap in foil and bake at 375 until butter’s melted. If you want, you could also pop it open-faced under the broiler for a few minutes so it gets brownish and crispy.

Sara says:

oooh, you sneaky sneaky girl ;)

That looks yummy!

Alisa says:

Thanks for this. I can’t wait to try it.

Travis and Melissa says:

FYI, Costco sells Johnny’s! ;)

Kate says:

Sadly, we have no Costco here. Every time I remember that, I die a little inside! ;)

Erin says:

Now that I have moved back to Utah, I specifically looked up your breadstick recipe so I could find the brand name of the garlic bread seasoning that I have to go purchase (Johnny’s, here I come). I’m sorry you don’t have a Costco Kate. Do you at least have a Sam’s Club???

Lisa says:

I was at Costco (Manteca, CA) yesterday and it wasn’t there :-(

Nate and Jessica says:

Thank you for this…do you refrigerate it?

Kate says:

You know, I probably *should*, but I never have. I probably will next time I make it, though. Just be sure to keep it in an airtight container so no moisture gets inside…

Karly says:

I just made this tonight and I messed up the breadstick dough (totally my fault…turned the oven on to warm it up for a second before putting the dough in for the second rise and I forgot I turned it on! Argh!), but this seasoning was DELICIOUS! Loved it!

Washing pile says:

I love this seasoning and not just on bread. The other day I was cooking salmon. As I was popping the salmon into foil, I decided it needed more than just oil and put this seasoning on top. The salmon was lovely, nice garlicy taste and didn't overpower the salmon.

I've tried making stuff like this before, but it's never tasted this good. I realized after making this that it was marjoram I was missing! It's like the "secret" flavor or something. I've been putting this on everything lately- we especially love it on top of pizza.

Kate says:

Thanks for the recipe! It's so yummy- I am completely addicted! I can't wait to try it as the secret ingredient in pizza sauce.

Julie says:

Has any one tried this with a little rosemary? Rosemary is FANTASTIC on pizzas.

Meridee says:

Where can I buy powdered parmesan cheese in UT?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Meridee–It's just that powdery, white Parmesan cheese in the green can, probably the stuff you put on spaghetti as a kid. :) It seems like it's at different places in different stores, but I've seen it everywhere from the cheese section to the Italian aisle. I'd ask someone at the store if you're having trouble finding it, but I'm sure they have it. Good luck!! :)

Meridee says:

Oh it's just the grated parmesan cheese??? Sorry I thought it was a spice. Hello!

geegarland says:

Any suggestions for what I can substitute for the marjoram? I don't have any and don't have to time to get to a store!

geegarland- if you're in a major pinch, just leave it out :) But next time you're at the store grab some because it really adds the magical flavor here!

Sadia Virk says:

Is this Parmesan cheese ok to use?

Does this mixture need to be kept in the fridge, because of the cheese? Or am I supposed to have a different type of Parmesan that doesnt need to be kept in the fridge?

Cant wait to try this, thanks so much

Sadia- yes, that works great. And it will keep longer if you store it in the fridge.

Allison says:

Does it matter if the oregano is ground or leaves? Same for the marjoram . . .
    I'm making your breadsticks tonight and I can't wait!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Allison–Leaves! :)

Anna says:

This is great seasoning! I have made multiple batches over the past few months and have tweaked it to perfectly suit our tastes. It’s such a clever idea. I use it on breadsticks, pizza, have sprinkled it on pasta with butter for a super lazy dinner when I’m too tired to make anything else, and once in a while even for garlic bread. I’ll bet it would be good sprinkled on other things too like broccoli. I love this seasoning and that it keeps in the fridge for months!

Tara says:

Oh my gracious!!!!!! Stop the presses!!!! You have outdone yourselves!!!! I’ve had Johnny’s before at my parents house, but I can’t find it here and we don’t have Costco. But ladies… this beats the pants off Johnny’s!!! It is perfection! THANK YOU!!!!

I love the ideas about pizza, broccoli, and pasta. Ooooo what about on sauteed shrimp???? YUM!!! I know Emeril has his “essence” but I think this mixture is going to be MY essence!

Nicholle says:

Made this for the first time last week, and mixed it with some butter to slather on Texas Toast – it was SO good, even my super-finicky husband was impressed! No more store-bought pre-made (always disappointing) garlic bread for us!!

4monkeymama says:

Increased cheese to 1 cup, added 1 cup mozzerella, 1 stick butter, 1/4 cup mayo and mixed in food procesor until smooth. Slathered pasted on bread and broiled—Amazing cheesey crusted bread.

Yanira Lopez Lo Coco says:

Ohhhhhhh thank you for this…I am in the last couple of TBS of the Johnny’s seasoning and I totally agree on the shipping—Ridiculous!!

Have a great day :)

Yanira Lopez Lo Coco says:

Besides mashed potatoes and pasta, I use it on shrimp and make tacos with it…My husband loooooves it!

Wendi says:

I also live in a Costco-deprived zone, so I was looking online to buy it and came across your recipe. Can I tell you how excited I am? This makes the best Ceaser dressing ever! THANKS!

Gloria says:

This is awesome in your pizza sauce!

Barbie says:

I was just looking for a recipe for a garlicy/parmesany herbed butter recipe, but I think this might just do the trick. Another winner!

BARBARA says:

you telling me??? we got johnny’s garlic bread seasoning from a friend who lived in north jersey. it was the best i had ever tasted. when i ran out of the darn thing.it was no where to be found!!! it was in a big plastic jar, i hope this will taste the same. i will let you know….by the way???? where do you find “powdered cheese???????
    thanks
    barbara

I know, right?! :) Powdered cheese is just the green can of Parmesan you find in the regular aisles of the grocery store (like Kraft), not the actual Parmesan that has to be refrigerated and grated.

Pam Bennett says:

yum!

Reagan says:

Made pizza dough, added a bit of oil and sprinkled this over the oil. I added the rest of the mixture to a half tub of cottage cheese and put it over the initial “layer.” Added mozzarella, parmesan, and provolone cheese, baked, and MMMMMMMMmmmmmboy! Cheese pizza heaven! Thanks. Love this seasoning!

Rachel says:

I just got your cookbook as a gift and I love it! I am a beginner when it comes to cooking, especially when it comes to adding different spices. Ground spices verses dried leaves… does it matter which one I use? I bought ground marjoram and ground oregano for this recipe but noticed you used oregano leaves (after I bought them of course!). Can I still use the ground oregano and if so does it measure differently?

We pretty much always use leaves unless we specify that something should be ground. I wouldn’t use ground oregano in this recipe because the flavor can be VERY overwhelming, but if you do, I’d cut it down a LOT.

Laresa says:

Thank you so so so much for the recipe. I have a recipe using Johnny’s Garlic Spread and Seasoning. I have looked in every store in Broken Arrow, and Tulsa, OK. I can’t find anyone who sells it. I don’t want to order it on line and pay so much in shipping. I am making it tomorrow, to use tomorrow night for my husbands 60th birthday dinner. I can’t wait.

Debbie says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing!! This mix is amazing!! I love to use it on bread sticks, but I also use it on pizza crust… brush your unbaked crust with oil then sprinkle on! Smells heavenly!!

Barb says:

You can buy Johnnys on line…

wow…premade bread sticks seasoning…nice :)

danielle says:

i mixed some of this in with the breadcrumbs used to bread our chicken cutlets the other night and it was fabu…

I used this seasoning in my potatoes. SO GOOD. http://pinkanchors.blogspot.com/2012/10/crispy-crunchy-goodness-potatoes.html

Thanks so much for this!

[...] add this topping for top of crust Wrap in plastic wrap and [...]

Janna Burton says:

Wow! These are the best bread sticks I’ve ever eaten! Thanks so much for the recipe! I use just under 4 cups of flour and they turn out perfect every time. I also made a very large pizza last night using about 2/3 of the dough and used the rest for breadsticks. We all thought it was the best pizza we’d ever eaten, too. Our friend who came over said “Pizza Hut better watch out”! The dough is so easy and so nice to work with. It doesn’t shrink back or anything. Perfect! Thanks again!

Janna Burton says:

Oops. I didn’t realize that I was on the seasoning (rather than breadstick) recipe. I love this seasoning on your breadstick recipe. I put it on top of the pizza and around the outside edge of the crust. This seasoning makes everything fabulous!

stacey pyne says:

so I’m not the best cook in the world and was wondering……do I need to refrigerate this since it has parmesan cheese in it?? Just thought I’d check to be safe!! this smells delish and can’t wait to try it tonight in your homemade pizza sauce I’m making too!! tHANKS!! =)

Jamie says:

We used this recipe in another recipe for Meatball Casserole that called for the Johnny’s spice stuff. We didn’t have access to that so I searched for a close substitute and found this delightful site! We tried it tonight as a “shake and bake” for chicken and it was soooo much better than any kind of shake and bake that you get in a store. I am going to fiddle with the recipe a little bit and see what adding bread crumbs and a few others things does.

Oh, we didn’t have regular parmesan shake cheese so I just used our Parm/Romano/Asiago blend and it was really good.

One question: After this set in the fridge for a week (the original recipe we needed it for only called for a tablespoon), it was a tad salty on the kitchen. Any ideas to make it less so? I guess just not adding the salt in the mix?

[...] 1 serving garlic bread seasoning ( 1 tbsp Mrs. Dash’s garlic herb seasoning mixed with about two pinches of garlic salt also works great) [...]

Fat Tony says:

I “stumbled” upon Johnny’s on a clearance rack year’s ago and was an instant fan. Sadly, Costco, Wal-Mart, Vons, Albertsons et al NEVER have the garlic spread on their shelves. I was buying Johnny’s direct from the manufacturer’s website but price/shipping was a big pill to swallow. I can’t wait to test your version and if it’s even a close copy…THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I tried this and I looooved it, thanks so much for sharing!

[...] rustic style sandwich bread butter or olive oil pizza sauce garlic bread seasoning pepperoni or turkey pepperoni Mozzarella [...]

[…] oil for brushing 1 C. shredded mozzarella cheese 1 Tbsp. minced garlic Italian seasoning or use this seasoning […]

Natalie says:

So, all of the spices are leaves and ground with mortar and pestle?

Natalie says:

Where did you buy the little spice jar?

Shannon says:

This tastes exactly like what you would get at a restaurant! I will never buy frozen premade garlic toast again! Plus my 6yr old helped make it and it was a good lesson on measurements. I’ve used it on almost everything I have cooked since we made it!

Menu Mondays says:

[…] spaghetti with the best meat sauce, garlic sourdough […]

gail early says:

I have moved to Mexico and of course couldn’t find Johnny’s….a friend here wants to make one of the recipes in my book but Johnny’s was the key seasoning….

Thank you for sharing this!!!!!!

[…] your favorite garlic butter. If I have garlic bread seasoning handy in my fridge, I’ll mix 1 1/2 tablespoons with 1 stick of […]

Denise says:

Can I use the Johnny seasoning on meats ? Like a good steak ? Please write me asap !!! denisecott@yahoo.com

Meg Thornton says:

This “stuff” is amazing! The options for using it are endless – great in the OBB Pizza Sauce (highly recommend)~ on garlice bread, of course ~ and I like mixing it with a melted butter sauce to pour over cooked pasta. I keep it in my fridge for up to 3 months…if a batch even lasts that long!

KaySue says:

Thanks for sharing this recipe – so easy to mix up and keep on hand in the fridge. Makes great tasting garlic bread!

Heather says:

This stuff is also amazing when put into a chicken salad mixture!

Linda says:

This is the “Best” no more frozen bread for us. Added on some smashed potatoes was so- so good !