Ah, french fries. The devil’s starchy fingers, as Mrs. Kim calls them. Fortunately for your heart, this recipe is actually healthy–you’re using the whole potato, including the nutritious skins, as well as coating them in some olive oil before baking them rather than deep-frying them. Of course, they’re still salty and, at least at my house, meet up with a little fry sauce at some point, but I try. I really do.

I got the original recipe from a girl I went to church with and, man, she had a lot of really yummy recipes for the skinny little thing she was! Then my friend Lisa mentioned the idea of using garlic salt, so I invented my own little garlicky peppery version. They’re both yummy and go perfectly with, well, just about anything you’d normally eat french fries with. I have found that the garlic fries come out a little crispier, so if that’s important to you (or important that you DON’T have crispy fries), you can take that into consideration.

Oven Steak Fries
4 medium Russet potatoes, washed
2 Tbsp. olive oil

For Orignal Recipe Fries (just call yourself The Colonel), you’ll also need…

1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
For Garlic Pepper Fries, you’ll need, in addition to the olive oil and potatoes…
1/2 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
2 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. parsley
Preheat oven to 400. Mix desired spices in a medium bowl. Add olive oil and combine well.

Cut potatoes into 8 wedges each.

Add potato wedges to seasonings and toss to coat.

Lightly crumple some aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray and then arrange potato wedges on foil. This makes cleanup easy because your potatoes won’t stick and it will also ensures they’re cooked evenly.

Bake at 400 for about 40 minutes. Serve with ketchup, fry sauce, Ranch dressing, honey mustard…the sky’s the limit here!

Anne says:

Those look so good, I’m going to try them.

Sara says:

Ya know, I think the crumpled foil tip is one of the best I’ve ever heard. Before you told me that, my fries ALWAYS stuck to the foil and lost the yummy crunchy part when I peeled them off. I’ll love you forever for re-crunching my fries :)

Lindsey says:

These are also good if you want to put fresh parmesan cheese with the garlic. YUMMY!

Erin says:

These are the prettiest fries I have ever seen. I want to reach through the computer screen and eat it! I’m really excited to make these.

Lisa says:

We eat these all the time! I will have to try the foil trick next time I make them.

rubyjade says:

Boy am I glad I found your blog! I’ll be trying these delicious looking fries tonight!

rubyjade says:

I tried these last week, and they are sooooo good. I only wish I made more. These will definitely be one of the “regulars” in my home. YUM.

Jaime says:

I made these for dinner a few days ago and they were awesome! I went with the garlic pepper ones because I like the crunchiness on the outside and the warm, soft goodness on the inside. I accidentally used a Tbsp. instead of a tsp. so I just tripled all of the seasoning ingredients and now have 2 more bags of seasoning ready to go for future use. Thanks a bunch!

Angie says:

Looking forward to trying these yummy fries! I LOVE that you quoted "Gilmore Girls". Love that Mrs. Kim!!

Lindz Sims says:

Hello! These look fabulous and I cannot wait to make them. But…what is "fry sauce" and do you have a recipe for it? Thanks! (PS: your recipes rock…I'm newly married and thus new to cooking–your blog has been so helpful)

Lindz Sims- check out this post for fry sauce :)

Lindz Sims says:

Ah-ha! Now I know what fry sauce is! Thanks Sara. Can't wait to try this.

Michelle says:

Made these tonight with the fauxtisserie chicken. They were awesome! I made the originalrecipe. They were crispy and flavorful on the outside and soft on the inside. Will definitely be making them again. A huge hit with my 4 kids as well.

Nichelle_Nichole says:

What do you think the difference between the crumpled foil and parchment paper is? I've been leaning towards parchment before foil lately.. just wondering if it will affect the crunchiness.

eM says:

They turned out great! Just a little too salty. I’ll cut down on the garlic salt next time.

Lois says:

My family and I loved these! Way better than anything from the grocer’s freezer aisle! Went with the original recipe. Trying the garlic version today. Used my crinkle cutter for fun crinkly fries!

ELIDA says:

I STARTED COOKING AND I HAVE TO MAKE THIS ON MY MENU HOPE IT COMES OUT GOOD I’LL LET YOU KNOW THANKS

ELIDA says:

TODAY I DID STEAK FRIES AT WORK AND THEY CAME OUT GOOD AND EVEYBODY LOVED THEM THANK YOU

HeatherM says:

I’m totally addicted to these fries! They grace our menu at least once a week. I was a little worried they were going to end up tasting like a taco because of the cumin and chili pepper.. but no.. just deliciousness. <3 <3 <3 I will never buy frozen fries again!!!

Jennifer C says:

I make over fries a lot, and this is a nice spice mix. I always use a stone tray to make the fries. Preheat it with the over, and make sure there isn’t excess oil. Flip wedges halfway through cooking. Fries come out really crispy on the stone.

Nicole Peck says:

I made these from the cookbook this week, twice now. They are AWESOME!!! They cook perfectly. I LOVE the trick with the aluminum foil. I have a feeling as long as I have potatoes in my house, we’ll be eating these A LOT!!

karen says:

I made the original recipe fries tonight for dinner and they were sooo good! my husband LOVED them and said they were “even better than New York fries!” thanks for posting

Walker says:

I’ve made these fries twice now. Not only are they incredibly easy, but everyone loves them. My only comment is that 1/4 tsp of parsley seems like way too little. I probably used 1/4 cup for 5 potatoes worth of fries.

Nichole says:

I made these last night and they turned out amazing!! Very hearty. I went with the garlic pepper mixture, and next time will try to original recipe. I highly recommend trying these. One question I have is, if you were to make the wedges smaller cut, more like restaurant fries, how would you adjust time or temp.? My bf loves fries and I am in a constant battle with trying to master them! Now that I have the steak fries down, I want to master the restaurant style as well :)

CarleyJ says:

I am totally addicted to this site!! I LOVE cooking, and seeing peoples faces light up when they try something I make! With your recipes I never disappoint!! so simple, yet soooo divine! We are going away for a weekend with friends at our lake house and then entire menu is made from your site. Keep doing what your doing!

Ellie says:

Super great recipe – thanks! One thing. I kept looking at the picture…thinking ‘What is the green stuff?” I scrolled back up and looked at the picture of ingredients and I saw the parsley…you don’t list it in the ingredient list. Thanks again for the lovely recipe!

Robin Olson says:

I made these tonight for our weekly Sibling Sunday dinner after church and they were a big hit. Thanks!

Andrea W says:

Man, the tip about the crinkled foil is the best! The fries were also great! Thanks!

Kristy says:

I made these a few nights ago when I needed a last minute side dish, and fries sounded like a good idea. They were amazing – so easy to prepare, used ingredients I already had on hand, and they tasted wonderful.

Your site is the first place I come when I need a recipe, whether I have an idea of what I want and need specifics (like this one) or whether I’m just looking for a meal idea in general. Every recipe of yours I’ve tried (and I’ve tried many) has been a keeper. Thank you!

[...] Fries are done when tender and lightly browned, approximately 15 minutes.  (Optional: Substitute oven fries for deep fried [...]