If I’m craving some sort of baked good and my cupboards are bare, this is my go-to comfort food.We make scones for breakfasts, brunches, desserts, all kinds of things.They are plain, and lightly sweet, with a light and airy texture.The mild flavor is perfect because they are best eaten while slathered with butter and some sweet condiment!The ingredient list is minimal and they’re a cinch to whip up and bake.This is what I always use when making strawberry shortcakes as well.

Also, I should add that these are considerably light compared to some other baked scones. Some, like Ina Garten’s for example, which are quite tasty, are loaded with heavy cream, large amounts of butter, and several eggs. I like this version because it’s not so heavy.

This is all stuff you should have around at all times!
salt, baking powder, flour, milk, sugar, butter, egg

Gently pat dough into a circle, about 1/2 inch thick. Brush top with milk or beaten egg and sprinkle liberally with sugar.

Cut into 6 wedges and separate on a cookie sheet.Bake 10-12 minutes.The tops shouldn’t be brown, but the bottoms will be golden-brown and the tops set. Keep an eye on them and don’t over-bake.The easiest way to ruin a scone is to over cook it!Scones have different texture than a cake or muffin, so if they get over cooked they will be dry and crumbly and you will say to yourself, “Why did Sara post this recipe? It sucks.” No, it does not suck, you ruined it :)

While still warm, split and spread with butter and jam, lemon curd, honey-butter, just about anything! Or let them cool and use them for things like strawberry shortcake.

Related links coming soon:

Strawberry-Lime Shortcakes with Coconut Cream
World’s Best Honey Butter

Spencer Family says:

My husband LOVES scones so we will definitely be making these this weekend. Thanks!

Eric says:

can’t get enough of these…good stuff.

Angie says:

Love your site! Gave you a big shout out on my blog! You’ll have to check it out! Thanks for all your time you put into this great site!

Becca says:

I’m drooling right now… I LOVE your scones. I have fond memories of you making them even when I was little. I think my favorite topping is honey butter…. or possibly strawberries and whipped cream… or really anything that has butter and/or sugar in it. Mmmmm…..

I love love love scones. I love them. These look so good, Sara.

laughter on the “it doesn’t suck. You ruined it.” part. He Ha Ha!

Courtney says:

Yum! I think I officially have to quit reading your blog though until I’m done with my elimination diet. Your recipes are too tempting!

Marcy says:

These look amazing! I can’t wait to try them..though I should wait since I’m trying to be good. lol

I also am excited to know how to cook a whole chicken in my crock pot. Yahooo!

You guys rock. It’s as if you are here in my kitchen holding my hand. Ahhhhh….

Kate says:

YUM!!! Oh, and Sara, a horrible, horrible thing happened today. I went to make these and discovered that I was…dum dum dum…out of butter! I know. I have no idea how it happened, but there is no butter to be found. So I have to go get some tomorrow and make some of these bad boys!

Sara says:

Oh Kate, I HATE it when that happens!!

Kirk L. Shaw says:

Tried these last night and they were AMAZING with apricot jam and honey.

Heidi says:

I just made these and they were delicious! Anybody else have egg allergies, I substituted 1/4 cup applesauce for the egg and it worked great. Thanks for the recipe!

Sara says:

Interesting about the applesauce Heidi, I would have never thought that! I’m glad they turned out well that way for you.

Adrienne says:

how long must you torture me? I do not think I can wait another day for the Strawberry-Lime Shortcakes with Coconut Cream recipe. Just the name makes my mouth water! I suppose I’ll have to make these just for the fun of it while I wait.

emily salway says:

I am going to try these for our Memorial Day dessert. I hope I dont mess them up! Wish me luck

etitameh says:

I decided I wanted to make scones today — as it's a slightly grey & cool early-fall day here near Denver — but realized I was out of sour cream, which 'my' scones recipe requires.

'Hmm,' I thought, 'wonder where I can find a good, simple recipe for great scones? I could go searching recipe sites, but I don't really feel like wading through all of those reviews and such… I KNOW! I'll check "Our Best Bites," I bet they have the perfect recipe!'

And indeed, you did — thanks so much. :)

Melissa S says:

I just took these out of the oven – oh gosh they are delicious! I can't get over how easy and how quick they are to make. I added 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract to the egg/milk mixture and the taste reminds me of press cookies my family makes at Christmas!

Thank you times a million for this recipe. I'll be making this again and again. :)

randumbredhead says:

BASIC?!? you mean BEST EVER!!! right? These were amazing. A great recipe to add to! I amde half the basic and I added orange zest and cranberries to the other half. Waaay better than store bought. I'm considering opening up a bakery with these! Just a scone bakery. I wonder how well that would do…. haha

Thanks for another great recipe.
    Sam

Menucha says:

Made them, loved them.
    So glad I discovered your site :)

Barbie says:

I CANNOT believe how easy and delicious these are! I love scones and always thought making them myself was beyond the limit of my ability. They are just as easy, to me, as using the bread machine to prepare the dough for the rolls I usually make for breakfasts. I will definitely be making these often. I’m so glad I had the guts to try!

Barbie says:

I made these this morning. So yummy! I’ve made them about 5 times now, and they are a hit every time! Today, I added the zest of an orange to the dough and used the juice of the orange with confectioners sugar to make a glaze for when they came out of the oven. Divine. Tomorrow, I’m trying almond and poppy seeds. Can’t wait!

Brittany says:

I made these for my hubby this morning, since it is his birthday! I think I’ll make them again on mine…or once a week for the rest of my life! So yummy! I was a littl worried because the dough was so sticky and hard to move around on the cookie sheet, but they turned out perfect!

I also put orange zest in the dough and made an orange glaze…or frosting since it had a little butter. Thanks for all your awesome recipes! Everything I have ever made from this sight has been delish!

Dennis W. says:

Wondering if you have a good banana bread recipe?

Thanks,
    Dennis

Kimberly P. says:

Wow! A friend introduced me to your blog, and I’ve been a huge fan ever since. I’m in the middle of my first pregnancy and craving scones like crazy. I quickly turned to you guys and was so pleased to find this recipe. It could not have been easier, and I can’t wait to try out all sorts of varieties. Today, I threw in 1/2 cup of dried blueberries before adding the egg mixture. Perfection! Thanks for the tip about not over-baking them.

Daisy Kaye says:

These are the easiest, most delicious scones I have ever come across!!! I like to add almond extract to make almond scones and then top with raspberry honey. Amazing!!!!

It dos’nt say how long to cook them in your print out recipe

Angela Krois says:

These are so good! I have never tried scones since they always looked crusty to me! These are delicious! I made them last night and my husband requested more for breakfast.
    Thank you!
    Would you add any other addittions for flavor besides almond, I am not crazy about that or orange.

Delaney R. says:

Oh my gosh! I love plain scones, but I always go to a bakery and buy them. I have made them before and they did not turn out well. When I found this recipe I noticed that I have all of the ingredients in my kitchen at all times, so I decided to save it. I finally made them yesterday and they were absolutely amazing! I sprinkled them with coarse sugar before baking and when they came out they are delicious and buttery! Definitely going to try new things with this recipe.

Julia says:

Hey I’m from Germany, but love to try different food. Can you help me with your shortcuts like “4T Milk”? Does it mean 4 Teaspoons?

Hi Julia! In American recipes, a capitol “T” stands for Tablespoon and a lowercase “t” is teaspoon. Hope that helps!

Amber S. says:

Super easy and simply irresistible. After the family demolished the first batch, I quickly had to make a second. I do have a quick question. If I want to add nuts or fruit, will I need to change the basic recipe.