Whew! It’s been quite a week; all this virtual party-throwing has made me tired. Luckily, I have a whole lot of food and a DVR with The Office, Lost, 30 Rock, and Grey’s Anatomy on it. I’d better hurry and eat it all before my husband comes home from his business trip.

So the last thing on our menu is the fruit dip! It’s just another variation of the ubiquitous cream cheese fruit dip. And, like everything else on our baby shower menu, it’s easy. See, that’s the trick when you have a party where you’re serving a lot of food; make easy, delicious food where a lot of it can be made ahead of time and then you can actually enjoy yourself! Sometime within the next day or two, I’m going to post a schedule of what to do ahead of time so your party can go smoothly and you can have fun, too.
Caramel Fruit Dip
1 8-oz. package cream cheese (you can use light cream cheese)
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla (you can add more to taste)
Toffee bits (look by the chocolate chips and try and find the chocolate covered ones if you can! Your dip won’t be pretty, but it will sure taste good!)

You’ll also need:

• Assorted fruit (I just buy a fruit tray at some place like Costco and a carton of strawberries if they’re on sale; you could also cut up some Granny Smith apples)

• Bamboo skewers (if you want to kebab your fruit)

Allow cream cheese to reach room temperature. With an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, brown sugar, and vanilla. When ready to serve, stir in about 1/2 a bag of toffee bits. Serve with fruit (or not…that’s totally up to you…I just caught my husband finger-dipping.)

Thanks for coming to Sara’s baby shower! We hope we’ve given you some ideas that you can use, whether it’s for your family, a party with friends, or if you end up throwing an actual bridal or baby shower.

Caramel Fruit Dip
Our Best Bites
Ingredients:
1 8-oz. package cream cheese (you can use light cream cheese)
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla (you can add more to taste)
You’ll also need:

Assorted fruit (I just buy a fruit tray at some place like Costco and a carton of strawberries if they’re on sale; you could also cut up some Granny Smith apples)

Bamboo skewers (if you want to kebab your fruit)

Instructions:

Abbey says:

This was the tastiest baby shower I have ever been too!!! Thanks for the great ideas!

Lindsey says:

This looks so good! I love any kind of fruit dip, but this one looks extra yummy!

Robyn says:

So I just did a baby shower last night and while it was good, I wish that I would have done this full menu! I’ll have to do this for the next shower I host! Even better, I’m just going to make it all for me!

~April~ says:

I am so going to try all of these recipes. Especially the ones involving chocolate! Hee hee!

Sara says:

mmm, I love this stuff! Especially with tart green apples (while watching The Biggest Loser- right Tricia?? lol)

mesha says:

I want to host a babyshower just so I have an excuse to make this! My husband’s birthday is in 3 weeks, and I think I’m going to try this out on him. Birthday party, baby shower, caramel craving…this looks worthy of any occasion!

gigi says:

I can not wait to make this. I love fruit and always looking for a new fruit dip!

I’ve used many variations of this dip for showers/church activities and called it an “apple bar”. Put out lots of kinds of apples and then the different dips.
    Here are some ideas for possible additions besides toffee pieces:
    cinnamon, nutmeg and pecans
    frozen raspberries
    peanut butter (i use less cream cheese in this instance)
    caramel (good by itself too)
    marshmallows

Enjoy!

Kristy says:

I made this dip this past weekend, for a summer get-together with friends, and it was a huge hit! And you're right, no fruit needed – my friends were ready with a spoon, and I have already had three requests for the recipe.

I thought I had brown sugar, but didn't, so I substituted white sugar instead, and it still worked!

Jo. says:

If I prepared this caramel tofee dip before party I would have to remake it and remake it before all guests arrived since I would empty bowls of this dip one after another. I couldn't resist even a second.

Nina Timm says:

I have my children's birthday parties coming up and I am so going to do this. We will have lovely fresh fruit available then. Next to the pool, it will be a hit!!!!

Jenn says:

what about using splenda brown sugar and low-fat cream cheese?

Would this work?

Sure, give it a shot Jen. Low-fat cream cheese is just fine (that's actually what I usually use) and the splenda will work, it just has a little bit different of a flavor (as you probably know)

Jenn says:

So I opted to go for the reduced fat cream cheese and just used light brown sugar.

Now, what about fat free cream cheese? Would it lose too much of the taste/texture?

I'm still going to try it with the splenda mix….. because it'd be so much more diet-friendly! :)

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Jenn–Personally, I'm not a fan of fat free cream cheese–I think it has a weird, chemical taste and texture and honestly, if I had a bagel and it was between using fat free cream cheese and no cream cheese, I'd pick no cream cheese. That said, if you're okay with fat free cream cheese's texture and flavor, there's no reason you COULDN'T use it–like it should hold together just fine. :)

Michelle says:

I made this for a party and it was a big hit! I served with fresh granny smith apples and I used the toffee with chocolate.

Leslie says:

I totally ate this for breakfast with an apple this morning…then ate the rest of it with my finger at lunch….SOOOO tasty

Stacie says:

Jenn and Kate- in reference to the fat free cream cheese – IT DOES NOT work!!!!!!!!! toooooooo runny!!! Was making a double batch and had to throw it out! Thank goodness I had not put the toffee bits in yet! Just the sugar, cream cheese and vanilla!! I was using the "great value" brand, not name brand so don't know if that made a difference!

Colleen says:

This was a llovely dip for our Easter brunch! (even without adding the toffee bits.) Thank you for sharing!

Jessica says:

It was a bit too thick for me so I added 2 tablespoons of sour cream and then another splash of vanilla. It turned out great!

Carlene says:

about how much does this make. I am using for my 35th wedding anniversary party and we are having about 130 people. Thanks

[...] Caramel Toffee Fruit Dip from Our Best Bites Strawberry Yogurt Fruit Dip from Glorious Treats Key Lime Tartlets from Gimme Some Oven [...]

Matt says:

Its beast

[…] Caramel Toffee Fruit Dip – If you’re having a craving for a caramel toffee, here’s an easy recipe for you. Toffee is one of my favorite kinds of candy […]

Shireene says:

I have made this recipe for many years. The bowl always comes back empty.
    In the fall you can also add 1/2 cup pumpkin puree and a little bit of cinnamon and nutmeg. It is absolutely delicious.