Posted in Condiments, Sara

One of my favorite things to take to a summer pot-luck is a big basket of rolls or cornbread and a bowl of sweet, fluffy honey butter.And not to get all braggy braggy, but I don’t think I’ve ever taken it without at least half of the people there asking what my “secret” is!You’d think honey butter would be pretty self-explanatory: honey + butter, right?Well as you can see from the picture below, mine has just one secret ingredient and it makes all the difference in the world.I’m pretty sure I saw my sister make it this way once and I’ve been doing it ever since.Some of you out there may already make it this way too, but for those who don’t, or have never made it, here ya go.

There are 3 simple things to remember:

1. Use REAL butter.No exceptions.
  2. Add the powdered sugar- that’s what makes it so good.
  3. Beat with an electric hand mixer so it gets super fluffy.

Can you get any simpler than this?

Honey, butter, powdered sugar

I dare you not to put your finger in there ;)

Leah says:

oh, yummy! I am going to make this soon!

Anne says:

Yum!!

Kate says:

YUM! My recipe has marshmallow cream in it, which I imagine does something similar to the powdered sugar. I will make it and let you know how close our awesome honey butter recipes compare!

Sara says:

oooh interesting Kate. I would never think to put marshmallow cream in honey butter! I’ll have to try that some time.

Angie says:

You are the bomb daily biter! Great site and recipes!

Becky says:

This is my first time commenting. I took hot rolls and this honey butter recipe to a baby shower last night. It was a hit. My mom’s honey butter recipe calls for a raw egg so I never make it. I was excited to try this recipe and it certainly didn’t disappoint. It taste just the way I wanted it too!

Doris says:

Would you please share your Mom’s recipe that includes the egg? I bought some Apricot Orange Pecan Honey Butter in TN and LOVE IT and would like to make it, bottle it, and sell it at the local Farmer’s Mkt in MO. I would have to find out how to make it safe for resale or canning. Might have to omit the egg, but I am curious as to the other ingredients & amounts. Thanks

Sara says:

I’m glad you liked it Becky- and I hope you’ll comment more now, we love to hear from you!

storyengineer says:

I made this for the fourth and loved it! The powdered sugar makes it a really nice consistency.

Now I’m baking some bread so we can use up the leftovers…

donna says:

in the recipe for honey butter, what do you mean by cubes?

donna says:

what do you mean by cubes? tablespoons?

Kate says:

Hi, Donna! A cube=1 stick of butter. I guess it’s not technically a cube, huh?

donna says:

ok thanks ….never heard of stick of butter referred to as cubes. I assume it’s unsalted butter right?

HannaBanana4511 says:

mmm i made cornbread and honey butter tonight for dinner, it is one of my favorites!

gaga says:

I never knew about the powdered sugar. Thanks!

Kevin says:

Honey butter is a great idea!

Adriann says:

Add some cinnamon and you get the wonderful butter from Texas RoadHouse. It's AWESOME!!

missy says:

salted or unsalted butter?

Missy- use salted if you have it, but unsalted would work fine too in a pinch.

TheRoddyBride says:

OMG! I made this exact recipe for Thanksgiving for the rolls and my pop's pumpkin bread and WOW is all I have to say. I found myself dipping my finger in the butter often for a little taste (of course washing my hands first)…

Great recipe, I am going to share this on my recipe blog and of course crediting you and referring my readers to you! I am so glad I found your blog!!

amisparky says:

Delicious! I whipped this up and took it to our Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone enjoyed it.

crystale says:

What would you say the shelf life of this would be?? Would make great little gifts in a jar!! Yummy!

Crysale- I don't know the *exact* shelf life because honestly it's never lasted too long. But it's jut butter, sugar, and honey, so I would say if it's refrigerated it's going to be good for a few months.

KK says:

I'll ask anyway, even though I know the correct answer to my question is probably "As long as you can keep your head out of the bowl." How long does this keep?

Thanks & can't wait to give it a try!

KK- you beat me to the answer! Really, as long as butter lasts so quite a while. I don't know specifics because it really doesn't last long at my house!

Julie says:

That honey butter was DIVINE! I took it to my Bunco group last night with homemade rolls and everyone was loving it. Thank you!

Kyla says:

My husband is a butter fanatic and LOVES honey, so when I made this on thanksgiving to go along with my homemade rolls…he went a little crazy!! It was a hit with everyone! Thank you!

Katy R says:

I made this with a dash of cinnamon to go with my dinner rolls, OMG! It was like a sopapilla roll!

The Kari says:

I just licked the screen…..

Teresa says:

I seriously post on EVERY thing I make of yours. Everything is so good! I’m glad I didn’t make a huge fancy dinner because it would have gone completely unnoticed. This is soooooo good. It makes quite a bit. I still have most of it left and we ate a ENTIRE loaf of french bread with it. I’m starting to think you ladies are my kindred (food) spirits!

Jeni says:

so this is with two sticks o buttah?

I cut the recipe in half (which worked beautifully) since there are only two of us here. I should have made the whole recipe because there is no restraint when it’s this good! I ate WAY more than I should have, just because I couldn’t stop with the honey butter!

Trina Cudney says:

amazing – I had never had any verson of this before and thought, why not give it a try? Huge hit in out house! we still have plenty but my friend and I are already draming of having it on a warm toasted bagel in the morning -

Lisa Winters says:

You say in your recipe, 2 cubes of butter, do you mean two sticks of butter?
    thank you, I look forward to trying this with some hush puppies!

Tara says:

Ummmm… serious deliciousness!!!!! Thank you!

Natoria says:

I just made this! Soooo good. Thanks for the recipe.

Jojo says:

This is an amazing recipe

Linda N. says:

I served this with warm cornbread. Soooo good, everyone loved it. Thanks for the recipe!!

Curtis says:

Wow! The simple pleasures… with the holidays approaching, this will be a sure delight!

Mom says:

I must confess – I licked the beaters! I’ve always made mine with powdered sugar too. So good on banana bread when it turns out a bit dry, and on zuchinni bread, and on pancakes, and on…. oh heck the list goes on and on. Just make it – it’s oh so good!

nadine says:

wow. I have often just added the honey and butter but never the powder suger. So much better. Thanks! That’s why I keep coming back. Yum

Erika says:

Do I use salted butter?? I’m def going to make this one!

Dawn Pope says:

I use to be a manager of a restaurant where we made honey butter by the gallons. The best secret to making honey butter supreme…, use marshmallow creme instead of powdered sugar. MMMMmmmm! Melt in your mouth good! Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Kami Tullis says:

How long can you store this in your fridge for?

Made this go go with your World’s Best Dinner Rolls. So yummy!

Lindsey says:

This is super yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Amy says:

Whew – I always wondered what the big deal was with honey butter. Apparently it’s the addition of powdered sugar! I am a big butter fan, but I now think I might be obsessed with this honey butter. I am finding myself making various bread things to put the butter on (because it’s just too scary to think of eating it with a spoon, which I’m pretty sure I will do if I don’t have cornbread or Parker House rolls to schmear with this divine concotion!). Thanks for one more excuse to eat more butter!!! As if I needed it.

Angel says:

Living in a foreign country. Needed a yummy late night snack. Didn’t even have electricity to use a hand mixer so I just mixed it by hand. Turned out delicious! Yay! Thank you!

I add cream style corn instead of all the milk and I throw in some canned chilies. The chilies don’t make it hot at all they just add a little to the flavor.

Wendy says:

This is a great recipe, thanks for sharing it!