I have to tell you that when I started really cooking, one of the things I was most scared to make was pie crust. I’d only heard how hard it was, how bad tough, non-flaky crust can be, how careful you have to be, all that stuff. And I believed it. Wanna know a secret? I think Pillsbury secretly spreads these rumors that everyone will screw up pie crusts and that they’re hard and time-consuming to make so you’ll go buy their refrigerated pie crusts. Also, they want you to believe that there’s little difference in taste or texture between those pie crusts and the ones you can make yourself. That is a big, fat lie.

If you’ve never made your own pie crust, today is your day. It’s honestly not that hard to make your own and the results are so phenomenally different that you’ll never go back. It’s easy, it’s super tender and flaky, it’s forgiving, and you can so totally do it. Don’t let the Pillsbury Mafia make you believe otherwise.

Fichtner says:

You are so right. I think home made crusts are made into this big deal when it so so simple. You can even mess it up and fix it and still be OK. And store bought crusts are just plain yucky.

Tres Chic Boutique says:

Homemade crust is SO much better than store made. Or even Pillsbury made. The only crust I have ever bought and like enough (but definitely not more than mine) is Marie Callender's pie shells.

holly says:

I found this lovely site today!
    So many wonderful things to try. I will be visiting here all the time. Yea for happy cooks!

Blaine says:

I have a question, I have never used the butter flavored crisco before. How is it that you are about to get that cold and cubed like butter?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Blaine–It doesn't need to be cold. I don't know how it works, but it's magic… :) However, if you're worried, you can always pop the crisco in the fridge first.

The Stig and The Pickle says:

Hi – can I use butter instead of shortening?

The Stig and the Pickle- check out this link for a butter recipe:

fairladykat says:

I make pies by the dozens around Thanksgiving, and I have found that instead of using an egg wash, use heavy whipping cream. You can brush it (carefully) on with a basting brush or spread it with your fingers. It gives it that nice look and has a great taste! You can sprinkle the sugar on top just like an egg wash as well.

Mary says:

Wow, this is awesome! Thanks so much for turning me into a pie goddess! I'll never buy a store bought crust again!

Caitlin & Taylor says:

I tried it, and I thought that I really could do it.. Well first off, you REALLY need a rolling pin. Note to self, the PAM can DOESN'T WORK! haha.. Well it crumbled on me, I'll maybe buy a rolling pin and try it again.

Nikki says:

I made this pie crust with your apple pie recipe with my son tonight, as we are doing an apple unit in our homeschool. I think my mouth died and went to heaven, it was so good! My hard to please husband was even blown away, giving it 10/10 and saying it was the best apple pie he'd ever tasted!! To be honest, it's the first pie I've ever made :/ So thank you for helping me find my inner domestic self!

amyruthporter says:

Hi ladies! Can you use butter instead of crisco in this crust????

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Hey, Amyruth! So good to "see" you! :) You know, you could sub butter (or 1/2 butter) but it makes the crust quite a bit heavier, both in texture and taste.

egregiousnes says:

How long can I keep the dough in the fridge for? With Thanksgiving coming up I'd like to do as much before hand as possible. Is it possible to cook the crust and save it for a few days before adding the filling?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

egregiousness–You could roll it out and wrap it securely in plastic wrap and store it in the fridge for 1-2 days or in the freezer for a little longer (just let it thaw on the counter for about 45 minutes-1 hour). I wouldn't bake it ahead of time; it'll get stale.

Hope that helps!

randumbredhead says:

This crust is AMAZING. I made it for the chicken pot pie. I made personal ones in mugs and that was a mistake. I wanted more crust. I could have just eaten the crust by itself, in fact I took the leftovers, baked them by themself and ate those plain! Yummy. I hope the recipes never stop!!!! Looking forward to what's going to post tomorrow.

vicki says:

My 11 year old grand-daughter taught me how to make a pie crust and I am 63. She taught me that when you gather up the crust put it in the cellophane and squeeze it tight. That way you are not handling it as much. Also, if you roll it out with one piece of cellophane on the bottom and one on the top you don't need more flour. Then you pick it up – cellophane and all and plop it into the pie tin and it will help you smooth out the crust with the cellophane still on the top. So slick. Who says you can't teach old dogs new tricks? Love you blog!

Linda Bigney says:

I have been baking pies for over 45 years now, but I can’t wait to try this pie crust recipe. I just today found your site and there are so many recipes I want to try. Thank you so much for sharing your talents with us!

Denna says:

Can this pie crust be made using butter instead of shortening?

Butter is generally too heavy. You can substitute 1/2 of the shortening with butter, but even then, it won’t be super flaky. You can always use lard if you want a more natural alternative.

• Kathy says:

Butter doesn’t have to be heavy and can be super flaky if you do it right. The trick is to make sure it stays cold the entire time. I very much prefer the taste of butter to shortening, and I prefer real fat instead of hydrogenated fats. Thanks for the directions on the lattice top. It is just what I’ve been looking for.

Hi! Loved the instructions for making the lattice top- always wanted to try that! Also just wanted to mention, that I usually put foil around the edges at the START of baking, and then remove it for the last 15-20 minutes. I find its much easier to do it this way (the foil doesn’t get very hot, I can easily reach in and grab it with my bare hands) rather than trying to put foil around a hot pie pan…. and they always come out beautifully browned, never burned. :)

Whitney says:

I know this post is all about pie crust… and not to worry, I’m heading to the kitchen to make this in just a few moments. But I have to ask – where did you get your red pie dish?? I love it! :)

Bev says:

This is a great little website. Thank you. I will be putting it on my toolbar, for easy access. I too, make my own pie crust. I have been using the Spry (no longer made) water whip recipe. I now use Crisco butter flavor. It is truly “as easy as pie” and flaky too.

Sue says:

I finally was able to purchase your cookbook! I have been wanting if for so long. Tried the pie crust recipe and you are so right! The best tasting, easiest, flakiest crust ever. I love your recipes, pictures and mostly your directions that are written with such a great personality. Even if I don’t make the recipe I ALWAYS read what you have to say. So very entertaining. Thank you so much for everything you do.

Annie says:

I’ve never had luck with pie crust til I tried your instructions. It turned out amazing! My 15 month old giggled when he bit into a piece of it. Not exactly sure what that means, but I’m pretty sure it’s a good sign.

Seth A says:

Thanks! I’m excited to try this! Wish there was a printable version somewhere… the link to find the “recipe here” didn’t really take me to the recipe – just one for apple pie. :)

Cathy says:

Going to try pot pies tonight. Going out to buy my rolling pin now! I haven’t had any luck finding a pastry cutter, and the knives didn’t work for me on my blueberry muffins, so I used my food processor. I hope it works for the pie crusts too.

Tiffany says:

What do C. mean?

jasmine says:

hi :)
    I live in Amsterdam and
    these measurements really don’t make sense to me, but I love your recipes!
    would you mind quickly writing down the measurements in grams?
    cheers,
    jasmine

Ana says:

I am sitting here with my husband enjoying a piece of apple pie (I made it last night) for breakfast. It is delicious!!! I purposely didn’t peel the apples to give it a nice crunch. I have to admit it took me three tries but finally got it. It is not as pretty as yours but the flavor is definitely there. I would have never imagine that I could make an apple pie, and to boot a delicious one at that. I am so very glad that I stumbled onto this wonderful website as I find myself referring to it constantly. I have become a pretty good baker, thanks to you two ladies. You two are an inspiration and I do thank you.

Carolyn says:

After years of failure induced store-bought pie crust use – I’m willing to attempt this for a Galette. Wish I’d seen this whole GENTLY thing years ago, before I kneaded pastry like you do bread dough…..lol

Sophie says:

Used this recipe for the pies in a jar and i’m waiting for them to come out of the oven. The dough was super easy to make and since i am a strong believer in homemade things instead of store-bought, I was happy to find this manageable. I was ready to use the dough right away, but i put it in the fridge for a little while anyway since based on my previous experiences with doughs that have butter, it’s much easier to handle when cold.
    thanks for posting and so far I am a huge fan of all of your recipes!

Sophie says:

oh and i made the dough with actual butter, so i’ll comment on how it tasted later.

Kathy says:

I notice you also have goldmedal flour. Can you use any kind of flour?

Lexi Majoue says:

Gosh, Kate– you make gorgeous pies. I can make crust that is edible, but it never looks pretty! ;)

Megan says:

How soon can I assemble the pie before cooking it? Or do you have to bake it as soon as you put in the filling? I am worried that the juices might make the bottom soggy and not end up cooking… If I put it together early can I just refridgerate it until I am ready to cook it?

Marci says:

Your pie looks kso much prettier than mine! I need to start by teaching my husband what “1 inch strips” means so that my strips for my lattice aren’t like 1/4 of an inch because those strips are so small they’re pathetic! The butter flavored Crisco is probably the best tip! I think it made a huge difference! I can’t wait to eat the whole pie now tonight at our “very OBB thanksgiving”!

I’ve always used store-bought crusts but this year, I made pie crusts for the first time this Thanksgiving. They were a little sticky but once they were baked, they tasted and looked great. Thanks for this tutorial!

Douglas Dischler says:

For those asking about butter replacing the shortening in this recipe, I’d recommend another technique. Instead of just butter, or shortening, add cream cheese to the mix. Use 1/3 of each (ie…approximately 1T of each). The cream cheese gives it a pliability that the other fats don’t. You still need to be gentle, but its more forgiving. Also…if you have a food processor…you can make a pie crust in about 3 or 4 minutes. Less time than it takes to open a package. Add the flour, the fats, then slllooowwwwly add the water until it comes together. Also, if you use a food processor…just freeze the fats :)

Devyn says:

Will the recipe work the same if I’m using gluten-free flour? (likely rice flour) Or should I adjust anything?

Barbara says:

These are so dear to my heart that I cannot express fully how much I love them. I made several and freeze them, then bake them when I want them for the two of us or to give to elderly neighbors or company that drops in. I think you started the whole craze, and I not only make dessert pies, but chicken and beef pot pies as well, and they are wonderful, too! There is a group of Navy moms, however, that are making fruit pies in a jar and putting the lids and rings on their jars while they are still hot and then mailing them, which gives them a tight seal, but IT ISN’T CANNING. Please warn people to not do that; it is NOT safe!

Barbara says:

I think I followed the wrong link; it should be in the pie in a jar page. I will post the warning there, also. Sorry!