Posted in Kate, Other, Stovetop

I’ll tell you straight up that this is not the only French toast recipe you’ll ever need; actually, I’m not sure that ANYONE “needs” deep-fried refined carbs coated in cinnamon sugar and possibly topped with syrup. This is special occasion French toast–I usually make it about once a year, if that. That being said, you really do need this French toast. Whether it’s for breakfast with some juice, fruit, and breakfast meat or eggs for protein or for dessert with whipped cream, everybody needs a little indulgence once in awhile. Best part? You probably have just about everything you need in your cupboards. Worst part? You can actually hear your thighs getting fatter. Especially if you top it with Buttermilk Syrup or Sara’s Honey Butter. This recipe is easily halved, but as it is, it serves 2 teenage boys, 6 hungry eaters, and probably 8 more conservative ones.

Puffed French Toast
Our Best Bites

Ingredients:

2 eggs
2 ½ Tbsp. sugar
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. milk
1 c. flour
2 ½ tsp. baking powder
12 slices Texas style toast, cut in half diagonally

Instructions:

In a large skillet or frying pan, heat about 1/4″ of vegetable oil (not olive oil) over medium heat. In a shallow bowl or pie plate, whisk together eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla, milk, flour, and baking powder. Test oil heat by flicking some water into the frying pan. If it pops, reduce the heat. If hardly anything happens, turn up the heat. If it sizzles, it’s just right.

Working quickly, take each 1/2 slice of bread and soak it both sides in the milk/egg/flour mixture. If you leave it in too long, it will get soggy, but you want to make sure enough of the egg mixture has soaked into the bread. Gently shake to remove excess batter and place in hot oil. Cook until puffed, golden brown, and a nice, crispy crust has formed on each side (probably 3-5 minutes per side; you really need to babysit them and make sure they’re cooking correctly) and then remove from oil and drain on a paper towel. While cooking remaining French toast, keep cooked pieces warm in an oven set to the lowest temperature it will go.

When ready to serve, roll each piece in cinnamon sugar.

If you’re feeling extra naughty, go ahead and drizzle a little maple syrup, buttermilk syrup, strawberry syrup or scoop some honey butter on there. You can email me later and tell me how bad you feel about yourself, but I guarantee that it’ll be worth it!

Golden and crispy on the outside with a sugary crunch, and heavenly soft in the middle.

Slice the bread into strips for great french toast dippers. Kiddos love these- or talk about killer party food! You could pile them high on a platter and then serve next to ramekins filled with different dipping sauces. Ie: Maple syrup, Buttermilk Syrup, Strawberry Sauce, etc.

Sara says:

y..u..m…

does Thursday count as a “special occasion”? lol.

Cami says:

Sounds devilishly delicious!

P.S. I have a heavenly fudge recipe that turns out fantastic every time! When I take it to functions, everyone always asks for the recipe.

Becca says:

What’s better than French toast? you got it- FRIED French toast! This looks delicious. And Cami… send that fudge recipe my way, will ya?

Kate says:

Oooooh, fudge. We’re toying with the idea of some recipe contests in the future, but I may just need that ahead of time… ;)

Who Knew . . . says:

Oh My Goodness! This recipe is off the hook! It deserves an exclamation point after every sentence! I made it for dinner last night in honor of my friends birthday and everyone could not stop talking about how amazing it tasted! And the butter milk syrup – forgetaboutit!!!!!!!!!! I have been recommending your blog left and right lately! If your visitor numbers jump up 10 more people on average now you will know why! Keep up the great work!

Kate says:

Thanks, Stephanie! I’m seriously so glad it turned out so well for you. And thanks for telling people about us! :)

Kara says:

Yeah, I know this thread was a long time ago. We just tried this along with Sara’s honey butter, and they are both SO good!! I’ve never had french toast like this, and it was great. However, I do kind of fell like I need to work out extra long this week, lol.

Tara says:

May I add a little sumpin' sumpin'? Take the puffed French toast, add vanilla bean ice cream and drizzle with hot fudge! BEST EVER!

taffi says:

My grandma used to make a version of this – ohhhh so yummy! She sprinkled hers with powedered sugar before serving – and then at the table my grandpa would put butter and real maple syrup on there. Amazingly enough, they both lived into their 90s… lol

Caprene says:

This is also how my family makes french toast. A good tip is that I freeze my bread, then it doesn't get soggy. And we are also a powdered sugar family. And lately, I've been using Great Harvest cinnamon chip bread. You don't really need the syrup.

Katy says:

I made this for my family tonight and it was great. I will make this again and again.

gina says:

I just finished making (and eating) the Puffed French Toast – and OH MY GOSH it was good. I love LOVE French Toast in restaurants but have never been able to make it taste as good at home. Until today! Thank you!!

katship says:

Honestly, I have never spent so much time on any site ever but your site is so wonderful. The recipes are outstanding and your instructions and pictures and antidotes are perfect.

I can't wait to make this "puffed french toast" because it looks just like the french toast you could order at Boy's Big Boy restaurant. Boy's Big Boy was a California chain that closed years ago and to find this recipe means so much to me…thank you.

giggliz72 says:

Made this Christmas Eve morning and all I can say is OH MY HECK THIS IS FABULOUS!!! My honey agreed with me that this was the very best french toast ever. Served it with honey butter and a little drizzle of maple syrup. I was in a sugar induced coma for most of the morning but my taste buds were quite happy!

Allison says:

You have another O.B.B. fan right here! This was soooo delicious that I forgot (as I was taking my first bite) that I was still in my PJs in my kitchen that was a mess (my 2 year old was "helping" and sprinkled sugar all over the floor) and thought that I was in a fancy restaurant! This french toast was fantastic! Thanks!!! :)

Maggie says:

I am usually not a big fan of french toast, but this is seriously unbelievable!! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!

Erin says:

This recipe will probably make my husband happy. French toast is seriously his favorite food, and something I just can't eat, being pregnant therefore he hasn't eaten any for awhile either. But, these look so delicious that I think I can get past getting sick just thinking about french toast and try them.

Barbara Bakes says:

Oh this recipe does sound evil, in a sinfully delicious way!

Joy says:

Has anyone tried freezing the French toast sticks & reheating them in the toaster?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Joy–Yep, you can definitely freeze the leftovers, although I'd probably reheat them in the oven or a toaster oven; I'd worry about them getting too hot and sticky in a regular toaster and not having a way of cleaning it out.

Hope that helps! :)

Renee Richins says:

I just made this for the first time and this was so good. I always make french toast when I can't think of anything else to cook, but have never tried to make it this way. Yummy!

trishthefish says:

I made one similar to this but now I can't wait to try your version. I dipped mine in the egg batter in then into crushed frosted flakes before frying. Oh so good!

Beth says:

This is sooo evil! And delicious. Evilly delicious.
    Excuse me while I come off my sugar high.

Camilla says:

my entire family loved this! so sugary crunchy yummy! We served with fresh whipped cream and that was divine! I also cooked it in coconut oil which added an extra level of delcious flavor! Now if only it was fat free so i could eat it every day! thanks for posting this! now to go link this on facebook so all myfriends can enjoy too!!

Friday afternoon was our special occasion! My little man randomly requested French toast and of course I always check your fabulous site first- so we made this- I used wheat bread which is just what I had on hand and oh man… It’s like eating donuts! Uber delish! Thanks ladies!

Kim says:

YUM!!! I think I’m changing gears and making this for dinner tonight!

Briana says:

Glad I found your website! This looks very similar if not exactly the way my mom made it when I was little. I remember her frying our french toast and it was always warm, crispy, and soooooooo good!

She couldn’t remember how she made it(having never written down a recipe in her life!) so I am anxious to try this and see if it measures up. ;)

I wish I never discovered these! THESE ARE TO DIE FOR!!! These are now for special mornings at our house. They are so good with the cinnamon and sugar AND the strawberry sauce. I’m trying to make every morning a “special” morning just so I can eat these. :) My husband already put these in as his Father’s Day request for breakfast. I can’t wait for Father’s Day!

If you love churros you’ll love these.
    If you love French toast you’ll love these.
    If you love breakfast you’ll love these.

luv2cook says:

Can you use other kinds of bread? For example just wheat sandwich bread? Or will tis just completely ruin the recipe?

Sandwich bread *might* work, but I worry that it might fall apart. If you can’t find/don’t want to use Texas toast, I’d just hand slice a loaf of French bread.

Hope that helps!

• luv2cook says:

Thanx.

• janita says:

we have used reg bread and it was ok but def better with texas toast. the best thing however was when we did pepperidge Farm cinnamon bread. omg!!!! i just barely dipped both sides so it didnt get too soggy.

Nicholle Cousino says:

Just made this for the first time tonight – OHMYGOSH it was so good….like fried dough, only better….french toast perfection!

Brooke says:

Looks delicious! I think I’m going to try this one today. If you could, please answer quickly, can the remainder of these be frozen? If so, how long can they stay in there before they turn bad! Thank you!

Loni says:

Umm, yes, I will be making these for my husband’s birthday tomorrow morning. They look incredible!

janita says:

seriously, THE best french toast ever!! my kids would never touch french toast but they ask for this every week. you’re right, not the healthiest thing but its been great for summer when we actually get to make breakfast in the mornings, and its easy enough that my 10 year old can do all but the frying. it is about the only thing i will pour oil in a pan for and it is oh, so worth the hour on the elliptical later! thank you!!!

Tyler says:

I’m in the minority posting on here since I’m a guy, but these were too good not to comment. My wife got the recipe book for her birthday, so i decided to make these this morning since her bday is actually today. Needless to say, they were an instant hit, even our 2 year old asked for more! No need for other french toast recipes, this is THE BEST…HANDS DOWN!

Chelsea says:

LLOOOVVEE this! I take all of the dry ingredients mixed up, and add the wet when we are camping for a yummy breakfast when camping- or really any other occasion I can make an excuse to make these. They are delicious!

Lee says:

Is there a way to know what the nutritional value is of these recipes? I am feeding a medically compromised child and need to get in as many calories as possible.

Jolayne says:

Lee – try inputting the recipe ingredients into food.com. I’m diabetic and have been counting carbs for a few years. I find it’s the easiest way to get all the nutritional info I need. You have to set up a free account, but then you can add as many recipes you want and keep them all private, so you don’t have to type out all the instructions, just copy and paste the ingredient list.

Bianca says:

My daughters love this. I was wondering if there was a way to make it like stuffed french toast with a sweetened cream cheese inside like at IHOP?

Sure; just stuff it :) Just be careful to not have too much squishing out or it will cause the oil to splatter.

Robin says:

These were de-vine!! We used whole wheat flour, regular bread (instead of Texas toast b/c we didn’t have any on hand) and about 1 3/4 tsp of Stevia and they were perfection…my husband, myself and our kids loved them!

Brenda says:

Quick suggestion a la Alton Brown: Use a heating pad topped with a kitchen towel and paper towels to keep this warm on your counter. He says it prevents sogginess. Can’t wait to try this recipe!

Maja says:

we have that recipe in our country,it’s called PRZENICE :) ,but I’m not sure what is on the 4th small picture in the shallow plate…looks like breadcrumbs…?

janita smith says:

is it bad that this recipe has its own icon on my homepage? i wish that were a joke… :)

Kara says:

Amazingly delicious!!! Thanks for the recipe!

[...] I searched for some deep fried French toast recipes online for inspiration. My recipe is a combination of the Punalu’u Bake Shop’s Sweetbread French Toast recipe and Our Best Bites Puffed French Toast. [...]

[...] google I went to find a recipe that I could adapt and make for my family!  I found a recipe from Our Best Bites and adapted it a tiny tiny bit (I never change recipes the first time I make it!)  Here is the [...]

Mishell says:

Ok, so……….I just made these for dinner tonight, and OH-MY-GOODNESS-GRACIOUS-ME they were delicious! My whole family loved them! I’ll never be able to make french toast any other way now. We were hooked…..INSTANTLY! Awesome recipe!