I got this recipe from Allrecipes a few years ago when I was planning a brunch after my son was born. I love it because it makes two pies, so you can either feed a crowd, make one for your family and take the other pie to someone else (it makes a great post-baby dinner with a salad and some orange rolls), or you can freeze it and heat it up when it’s convenient for you. Another great thing is that it definitely tastes better the next day, so if you’re having a breakfast or brunch, you can make it the night before and then easily heat it up the next day and no one will ever know that you weren’t up slaving away at 5:00 in the morning.

Believe it or not, I’ve lightened the recipe up a little. Not saying that this is a healthy recipe by ANY stretch of the imagination; this is definite splurging territory. But I tried cutting some caloric corners by using fat-free half and half and light sour cream.
Oh, and you don’t want to know what happened to the quiche in these pictures. It is a tragic tale of miscommunication and misplaced quiche that led to a heated disagreement between my husband and me. And we really don’t fight that much. Yes, we fought about a quiche and it wasn’t about who got to eat the last piece. Sadly, no pieces were eaten.
Quiche
½ lb. bacon
10 oz. package spinach
1 c. sour cream (I use light)
salt and pepper to taste
2 unbaked pie crusts
1 onion, minced
½ lb. diced mushrooms
2 c. diced ham
16 oz. Colby Jack or sharp cheddar cheese
4 oz. Parmesan cheese
8 eggs
1 c. half and half (I use fat-free)
1 Tbsp. parsley

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brown bacon, drain, crumble, and set aside. Saute spinach in bacon drippings (I told you we were going to be naughty). Drain. Saute onions. Add mushrooms. Stir in ham and bacon. Combine spinach, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Add meat mixture. Mix in cheese. Divide into each pie crust.

Mix eggs, half and half, and parsley. Pour over pies. Place pies in oven and bake 45-50 minutes or until tops are puffed and golden brown. Let stand 5-10 minutes. Each pie serves 8.

**If reheating, cover pie with foil and bake at 325 for about 20-30 minutes, checking frequently to make sure it’s not getting too brown. You could also pop it in the microwave (without foil! The Daily Bite is NOT responsible for your exploding microwave!), but you run the risk of gummy crust and rubbery, exploding eggs.**

Sara says:

Oh dear…I must hear the quiche story some time! I’m sad for you because that looks *really* yummy!

Anne says:

I want to hear the quiche story also! That really does look very good, but I’m still intimidated by pie crusts and I’ve never even made one. I’m going to try your recipe.

Erin says:

Hey, this quiche has spinach, so it really is healthy for you! I’m definitely going to try it.

Angie says:

Great blog Sara! I’m going to give you a shout out tomorrow on my blog!!! How’s the babe?

Lisa says:

I have never heard of fat free 1/2 and 1/2. So what’s in it and why isn’t it just skim milk?

Sara says:

Lisa, who knows what’s in it, but it tastes like half and half! lol. It has artificial flavors and thickeners so it seems like the real deal. You can find it right next to the real stuff.

Sara says:

I just made this for a brunch and it was a big hit! Both adults and all the kiddos loved it.

Katie BQ says:

I was up until 3am making this last night for a ward dinner group today. It was a huge hit and I’m super proud of myself for making pie crust for the first time. Everything turned out perfect, thank you so much for all the helpful tips!

The Stells! says:

Can i make everything up the night before and then throw it in the oven in the morning?

Laycie says:

When you said it can be frozen, at which stage do you freeze it? Just make the filling and freeze that or make the whole thing and then freeze that?

Just freeze it after you bake it. :)

Melanee says:

Can you use fresh spinach instead of frozen? I have a bunch that I’m trying to use up, but I’m not really sure how to substitute it.

Melanee says:

Whoops, I just realized that the recipe does use fresh spinach. Sorry! I guess I was thinking of the recipe from the calendar.

Charlotte says:

Evaporated milk is the perfec substitute for halh & half. Can’t wait to make this tonight!

Miranda says:

I made this quiche today for a little Easter brunch and it was SOO good. And pretty simple to put together too. I didn’t have any half and half so I subbed a little less than a TBSP melted butter and enough milk to make a full cup and it worked great. Just a word to the wise set the quiche on a cookie sheet in the oven to catch any drips. If it looks like you have too much egg mixture and you have to practice your nija moves to get it in the oven without spilling the egg topping, it will spill over once it starts to bake :)

Beverly says:

I want to make some mini-quiches. Do you think this recipe would work?

I know this is one of your oldest recipes but I just tried it today for a baby shower and lots of friends raved over it.