Posted in Cookies, Kate

Okay, so this is totally Sara’s recipe, but I figure by this point, we probably share about 90% of our cooking brains.  These are the perfect cookies to use for ice cream sandwiches.

Ice cream sandwiches are perfect for bringing to a summer potluck (as long as there’s a freezer handy) because you don’t have to worry about ice cream scoops, dishes, or spoons. These are quick and easy to whip up and are a fun way to serve ice cream; plus, who doesn’t love ice cream sandwiches?! Oh, I miss Fat Boys so much I could cry.
You can use any flavor of cake mix that you want–this part is fun because you can mix and match depending on your flavors. If you’re doing a fall-ish ice cream like pumpkin or eggnog, you could use a spice cake mix, whereas mint chocolate chip or peppermint is perfectly paired with chocolate.
You could certainly use these for regular cookies, too–just bake them a few minutes longer.
Cake Mix Cookies (for Ice Cream Sandwiches)
Our Best Bites
Ingredients:
1 cake mix
1/2 c. shortening
2 eggs

Instructions:
This is super tricky. Preheat oven to 350. Combine cake mix, shortening and eggs. The dough will be VERY stiff.
Drop by tablespoonful onto cookie sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes.
You want them slightly underdone because if you’re making ice cream sandwiches, you’re going to freeze them and you want them to still be soft when they’re frozen. Also, I let mine cool completely on the cookie sheet instead of transferring them to a wire rack because they’re so soft that they break and fall through the wire.

When making ice cream sandwiches, spoon a couple tablespoons of ice cream onto the flat side of one cookie. Top with another cookie, press together gently, and freeze ASAP. Assuming your cookies and ice cream are both soft enough, you can serve them straight out of the freezer.

Katelynn says:

Oh man! This looks absolutely FABULOUS! I can’t wait to try this for our next BBQ!

Thank you so much! I love your daily recipes. :)

Sara says:

I agree Kate, these are the best for ice cream sandwiches. One of my biggest pet peeves is taking a bite into a homemade ice cream sandwhich only to have a hard frozen cookie break your teeth and squish all of the ice cream out the sides! These are so perfect since they stay soft. They look so yummy!

One of my all-time favorite combos using this method is spice cake mix with pumpkin ice cream- but only in the fall! Maybe by then, my child will be able to tolerate dairy?? Let’s all pray for that, lol.

Becca says:

I love these cookies. They bring back good memories of Christmas time when we would stuff them with peppermint cream cheese frosting!

Hayley says:

I make these cookies but use oil instead of shortening, I will try shortening next time. Then right when they come out of the oven I put an Andes Mint on top of them and as it melts I use the back of a spoon to smooth out the chocolate. Let them cool or pop them in the fridge so the chocolate hardens. They are to die for!

crownofflora79 says:

I make these kind of cookies ALOT. You can use any kind of cake mix and any kind of mix in (chips or nuts) and they always come out great! I get more requests for this recipie than you can imagine. I use oil or usually apple sauce instead of shortening though.

Randi says:

I make these with a block of cream cheese. They are so soft an delicious!

Little Becomes Much says:

Thanks for this OBB!! I am using golden butter cake mix and my dough isn't very stiff..any suggestions?

pookielou says:

I love filling these with cream cheese frosting to make homemade oreos. :)

Mimi says:

I’ve used this ice cream sandwich idea so many times and EVERYONE has loved it! I use chocolate or devil’s food cake mix and put mint chip ice cream between the cookies. It is heavenly! The consistency is perfect and it’s so easy. Thanks!

stephanie says:

hello,
    me being a little bit of a health freak ( and the fact that I never have shortening on hand).. would apple sauce do the job? what about oil?

Asia says:

It appears the link to the peppermint ice cream doesn’t work. Apparently the peppermint ice cream didn’t make it over to the new blog layout. Could we please get it???

Thanks!

Amy says:

Honestly, these are some of my favorite cookies ever – and so easy! My version uses a box of devil’s food cake mix, 2 eggs, and 1/2 cup oil (shortening icks me out). Then I mix in about 2/3 of a bag of Reese’s peanut butter chips. Yum!

lauren says:

i tried these as cookies with a cherry chip cake mix and they were devine!!

lauren says:

which would also make really good cherry cheese cake bites!

Heather says:

My family always made this recipe, but rolled them out and cut with a circle cutter. Your method is WAY easier! Thanks :)

we made these!!!!
    they were so good and easy!!!
    we are both 8 and we love these:)
    THANK YOU!!!!!!
    Our best bites makes the best recipes!!!
    And thats true we agree