Who the heck doesn’t love pizza? There must be some of you out there, but I’m pretty sure that pizza is one of the most versatile, universally-loved food out there. You can get the down-home, crowd-pleasing Chicago deep dish supreme or a fancy-schmancy thin-crusted Italian Margherita.

I’ve been married for 7 years and have spent the better part of that time trying to perfect homemade pizza. No matter what I did, it always came out a little doughy and underdone with a weird aftertaste and it would take me straight back to horrible flashbacks of homemade pizza made from a boxed mix when I was a kid. I guess I can get how people hate pizza, especially homemade pizza, if that’s all they’ve ever known.

About a year ago, I finally got it right. The sauce, too. This week, we’ll be doing the first of two homemade pizza cooking classes. Think of this as Pizza 101–the basics; versatile sauce, versatile crust, baked in an oven. In a few weeks, we’ll follow up with something a little more advanced.

There are lots of recipes for pizza sauce out there, but most of them are pretty work intensive. Quite honestly, if I’m going through the trouble to make homemade pizza, I don’t want to have to cook the sauce, too. Also, a lot of them are chunky and I don’t like chunky pizza sauce. And a lot of them are cooked with quite a bit of oil, so when you add the cheese, the pizza is all heavy and greasy.

I like this recipe because in addition to being super-yummy, it comes together in just a few minutes and uses ingredients you’ll probably have in your cupboard, anyway. Also, it’s a great dipping sauce for breadsticks! Ready, Freddy?

Try it on BBQ Grilled Pizza or a classic Oven Baked one.

Sara says:

mmm…pizza.

That’s all I wanted to say :)

I think I’ll try the recipe, but I have a question. Why use tomato paste instead of tomato sauce? Here, I’ve been using sauce this whole time….

Kate says:

Jen, you can use tomato sauce, you just need 12 ounces, which is a weird measurement for tomato sauce. Also, with the tomato paste, you can adjust the water if you need to–some people like it a little thicker and some people add a little more because they like it runnier.

Anyway, let us know how it turns out! :)

Alisa says:

Oh i am so excited for this week. Are you going to teach us all how to grill the pizza?

Sara says:

You bet Alisa, I’ll be doing a cooking class on grilled pizza soon!

High-Heels And A Sippy-Cup says:

Oh this is going to make the male pizza addicts of my household sooooo happy! YAY for pizza!

One Food Guy says:

I’ve been working on my homemade pizzas for the last few months. I’ve had great success with the pre-made dough and pizza sauce from Trader Joes. My best pizza was this past Friday night – sauceless. It was caramelized onions, arugula, fig and goat cheese with a drizzle of unfiltered olive oil…so good!

Adrienne says:

SO-I made this sauce with your breadsticks and the garlic seasoning (even made some cinnamon-sugary) Very Good! Thanks for all the great recipes. Love it.

Kate and Sara says:

One Food Guy-
    when I used to live by a Trader Joes I would buy their pizza dough a lot- love it! I also love sauceless pizza. I often do it sauceless when I cook it on the grill. It’s kind of ironic, because on oven pizza, I prefer extra sauce! Anyway, Yours looks delish :)

Sara says:

oops, that dailybite comment was me. I always forget to log in as myself!

Fichtner says:

Wow this sounds great! And so easy. You ARE the best.

Washing pile says:

Made this the other day and my Hubby thought it was great and my best homemade pizza yet.

I must admit I never make my own pizza sauce. I always have some sort of jarred marinara and I always end up using that. However last night I was out of sauce so I whipped this up and we LOVED it. I think I'll be making it from now on! So simple and easy and we really liked a kick from the red pepper flakes.

Kelly says:

Wow wow wow!! The sauce is SO GOOD! I'm enjoying it on my homemade pizza right this minutes. Bye bye jarred and canned sauce. This is so stinkin' easy and sooooo flavorful. LOVE IT! Thank you so much for the recipe. I found it on foodgawker.

Heileson Family says:

Wow we loved this sauce. We made pizzas last night and we loved them. We had leftover pizza today and I think that I loved the pizzas even more. I love this sauce. It is now what we will use every time we make pizza. Thank you so much. I am loving the recipes from this blog and I love making something new to eat.

Adriana says:

Made this sauce last night and it was sooo good! Actually it was great! Thank you so much! Looking forward to trying out the rest of your recipes!

Knitwit says:

You want simple? I don't even mix the spices in a bowl, I just sprinkle them on the sauce that's been spread on the pizza dough. Everybody likes my homemade pizza, so it must be OK. :)

kevnjess says:

This is seriously the best pizza sauce ever! If you are still using the store bought stuff, you are missing out!

jessika says:

This sounds delish! however i cant do dairy, can i do with out the garlic bread seasoning or sub it with something else?

Donna says:

I agree-this sauce is killer!!!!!!!I LOVED it.I’ve always been leery of marjoram but in this case it makes the sauce.Of all the recipes I’ve tried this is the one I’m using from now on.Thanks for sharing.

Emi says:

Easy and yummy. Thanks so much!

Gloria says:

This was so yummy and my family loved it! I also liked the fact that it was easy, didn’t have to let it cook for 45 minutes (last my old pizza sauce recipe) and it wasn’t chunky!

Kristal says:

I needed to make a pizza and I just realized that I didn’t have any sauce!! ahhhh!!! I decided to jump on here to see if by any chance you would have a recipe and you did!!! You guys have come through for me again!! Thanks!

Amber says:

This is my go to pizza sauce recipe now. It is the perfect consistency and has wonderful flavor. I use my tomato powder in place of the tomato paste and it works wonderfully. I left link to this recipe on a post I just did on how to use tomato powder in your favorite recipes. http://www.thrivequickdish.com/cook/you-say-tomato-i-say-tomato-powder/
    Thanks!

Katie Jo says:

Perfect. Just printed. Can’t wait to try this with my new delicious pizza crust by my favorite food bloggers!

Natosha Williams says:

Made this tonight for the Family. Everyone loved it!!!
    Thanks for the wonderful recipes!!

Shannon says:

Made your sauce this weekend and everybody LOVED it!! However I was disapointed when I got the leftovers out of the fridge this afternoon to use as a dipping sauce… it was a globby mess :(

cindy says:

how about a white garlic sauce next???

Amanda says:

I’m so glad I found this recipe! I left it on low while pizza bites were in the oven…..<3 yum.

Cassie says:

Delicious!!! My husband is very picky about his sauce and he LOVED this!!

Leah says:

Can I use McCormick’s Garlic Bread Sprinkle in place of your garlic bread seasoning?

Randall Black says:

I just bought a new Saber Grill, and they say it is very good for home made pizza. I was looking for a good recipe for sauce, I will use this. I think that I will go with a store bought crust, I just don’t know which one yet.

brandy says:

This pizza sauce is SO delicious. I’m using it on a gluten free pizza crust, so I wanted something with a lot of flavor, and this is definitely it.

Alice says:

Excellent! I made two homemade pizzas with this tonight and my picky kids ate both pizzas! Thank you :).

[...] rustic style sandwich bread butter or olive oil pizza sauce garlic bread seasoning pepperoni or turkey pepperoni Mozzarella [...]

Meg Thornton says:

This is an excellent pizza sauce! :) This will be my go-to sauce! The Garlic Bread seasoning is out of this world. I use it not only in this sauce or on garlic bread…but with any type of italian dish. Great mixed with a butter sauce and pasta.

Mary Childers says:

What is the recipe for garlic bread seasoning? The link takes says it’s not there anymore. Thanks very much!!