So have you had a hard time finding a brand of Teriyaki sauce that you like at the store? Or even more likely, have you ever found yourself quickly approaching dinnertime and you think you have nothing to make? Well, I’m here to tell you that I’m willing to bet that you always have the ingredients to make Teriyaki something on hand. I almost always have the ingredients for Teriyaki sauce in my cupboards and I almost always have chicken breasts or thighs (or even steak. Steak from a cow, not steak from a chicken. I don’t think they make steak from a chicken.) So, at least in my world, if I don’t have all of those things on hand, something is seriously wrong in my universe.

What makes this even better is that you can literally make this for pennies and, not trying to be Braggy Braggerson here, but I think it’s better than anything you can buy at the store. I also like that it’s a little thick, so it works well as a glaze or dipping sauce.

One thing I love it on is chicken thighs. You don’t even have to marinate the chicken first (although marinating is certainly never a bad thing). Just heat up your grill and baste every 10 minutes or so until they’re done, or you can do it in an oven heated to 425. Just line a baking sheet with foil and bake for about 40 minutes, basting regularly and turning the chicken halfway through.

lynnette says:

I’ve been using this exact recipe for years. It’s my favorite!!

Sara says:

I made this once to use with Kate’s recipe for teryaki bacon wrapped chicken skewers (which I’m SURE she’ll share with us one of these days, they’re delish) and I thought it was really great. I used fresh ginger in mine and I loved the flavor.

Owens D.C. says:

You’re blog is the best! Simply put it inspires my style of cooking, thanks for doing such a great job!

Erika & Ryan says:

I agree-your website is wonderful! Try adding a little Saki wine to your sauce and you’ll be pleasantly surprised!

Erika & Ryan says:

Erika & Ryan says:

Lisa says:

Yeah, definitely add some Saki. That gives it JUST the zing you need. I have made this sauce and it’s YUM. Makes me feel so Asian…

Sara says:

Lisa, are you not part Asian? I always assumed you were…

Adriann says:

Kate, next time I see you I’m going to give you a big fat kiss! I did have all these ingredients on hand, and it was so easy to make! It is REALLY rare that what I attempt to cook actually turns out, and even rarer if it takes good – and this hit it out of the park! Shane and I are SO grateful for you posting this recipe. It was absolutely divine. Next time I’m at the store, I’m stocking up on soy sauce!

Spencer Family says:

I made a double batch of this last night and it is so good! I baked a chicken breast in the oven and marinated it with this sauce and then stirfried it with a bunch of veggies and put it over rice. YUM!

storyengineer says:

I made this the other day for my family. They loved it, but sadly, I found I don’t care that much for teriyaki. :(

Jessica says:

This was great – my family loved it (and that included a very picky 4 year old boy!) I will never buy teriyaki sauce again. Thanks for another great recipe!

Michelle says:

I love teriyaki sauce and I recently found out that I have celiac disease…. which means that I can't have store-bought teriyaki sauce.

Thank you for providing me with a recipe that I can use (with GF soy sauce substitute) to make gluten-free with a flavor that I LOVE. You're recipes are the BEST!!

Merry Christmas :)
    Michelle

Bruce says:

You are amazing!!!! I am so excited to be able to make a gluten free teriyaki for my family. This will come in extremely handy for so many different things thanks so much.

Nicholas says:

wonderful. I have never tasted anything that comes close to being this good. At the end of cooking mine I added some Weber Chicago seasoning and it kicked up the spice which is how I like it.

Brenda Sue says:

My FAVORITE recipe using ALOHA SOY SAUCE requires 4 simple ingredients and 3 hours to deliciousness..

Equal parts Aloha Soy Sauce, Water, and Sugar.

Bring those ingredients to a boil and add however many frozen, (yes, I said frozen) boneless skinless chicken thighs to the pot, WATCH CLOSELY as you bring it back up to a boil, once it boils, turn it down to a simmer, cover, and cook for 3 hours. Serve over rice. my emsil is brendasue2003@gmail.com if you have any questions. Feel free to post it to your blog.

Brittany says:

So I just discovered your page today and CANNOT wait to try lots of your recipes! This sounds to good and easy to be try. Love being able to control the sodium and cost co,pared to store bought teriyaki sauce! Seems yummy for kabobs and am gonna use it later this week for your Hawaiian turkey burgers! Thanks for sharing!

Brittany says:

***to good and easy to be true. Darn predictive text:)

Julianne Blanch says:

Hi Kate and Sara! I enjoy perusing your website. Thank you for all the wonderful recipes. I just wondered–how long will this recipe keep? I am just looking for a fun recipe for a bunch of 8-9 year old girls to make for an activity on June 14 to give for Father’s Day . . . will this still be good for Father’s Day on June 19? Do you have any other ideas/recipes from your site that I could use for this activity. I was also looking at Sara’s marinade for fajitas, but had the same question . . . how long will that marinade keep? Maybe I should stick with just a cookie mix in a jar and call it good. THANK YOU! You are both amazing!

Kayla Nichols says:

This sauce is converted to gluten-free by simply choosing gluten free soy sauce like La Choy.

Jenelle Jensen says:

Oh my deliciousness! Just had it with some chicken breasts and I CANNOT tell you how in love with it I am! Thank you!

Hillary says:

I used liquid aminos (I have a wheat allergy) the sauce was fabulous!!

Ann says:

If I use frozen chicken tenders, would this work in the oven? If so, how long would I cook them do you think? Should I marinate them first in the sauce? Thank you. I just love this blog!!!

Leda says:

Your blog is the ultimate cooking blog! Thank you very much for all your tips and delicious recipes, even an amateur like me can make them work. Keep it up!

Leda says:

This is a serious success!!! I just made this sauce and pork/beef skewers. They were a HIT! thank you very much for sharing!!

Heather says:

I’ve made the teriyaki sauce at least 3times already, everyone loves it. I’ve tried it with beef and chicken and the sauce is amazing. It tastes way better than from the bottle. Thanks so, much for making my parties a success.

Cstewart says:

Wonderful recipe! I tried it for tonight’s dinner and my husband couldn’t resist a second serving of my chicken teriyaki bowl! Thanks for sharing!!

Yuna says:

Hello. I am a beginner in cooking. I saw from the comments that adding sake would be awesome. I was just wondering how much should I add of sake or mirin? Thank you. Hope to hear from you soon. (:

Sorry Yuna, we won’t be much help. We don’t drink alcohol so we’ve never added either of those things!

Heather says:

Made this again last night. You are FABULOUS!

Jessica Clingo says:

made this sauce last night and I have to say it was the BEST!!! Mmmmmmmm, soooo yummy! :)

Brenna says:

My favorite teriyaki is Yoshidas, but I can’t find it in Arkansas! So I turned to your blog and I really love this teriyaki too. I also discovered that by adding 1/4 t of curry powder it taste almost exactly like my favorite sauce. Thanks for the great recipe!

[...] terikayi sauce from Our Best Bites quickly became a family favorite (and that is hard to do because my husband is SUPER picky about [...]

Tom says:

Food Network had this same recipe, just minus the vinegar & pepper. Thought it was great :) http://www.food.com/recipe/restaurant-teriyaki-sauce-133751

Lindsay says:

I made this last night and it was so good! I poured it over some rice, vegetables, and chicken. I love that this sauce can be made so quickly for an easy and healthy dinner.