Seems like it’s been a while since we’ve had a salad around here so I think it’s about time! Plus, what I’m really craving right now involves a pound of butter and some serious chocolate action so I’m thinking if I blog about salad I just might eat one. I’m sure everyone has some sort of go-to Asian salad. I have three. And I love them all for different reasons. So here’s my “Oh Dear Asian Salad #3 (in order of how said salads entered my life) how do I love thee? Let me count the ways…” list:

1. It’s flexible.You can toss anything in it that you think would be good.Whatever veggies you happen to have on hand. It’s one of those ‘clean out the fridge’ salads.
  2. It keeps well.Lettuce salads get wilted and gross the longer they sit, but this salad only gets better, which makes it a great option for a party, potluck, or picnic.
  3. It’s easy to make a huge batch or just enough for two.
  4. It’s quick.It starts with a pre-packaged bag of coleslaw, so you save time chopping.Plus you can prepare everything ahead of time and just throw it together when you’re ready.
  5. It’s healthy.No really, it is. Duh, you say? Not all salads are healthy. (Wait until I give you Asian Salad #1.) This one is full of fresh vegetables and the dressing has very little oil (pretty rare) so it’s very low-calorie.

It’s as pretty as it is delicious!

Leave out the chicken and it makes a great vegetarian salad, or a terrific side dish for things like potstickers, Asian BBQ chicken, or Sweet and Sour Pork. Serve it with the chicken for a light meal.

Serves 4 main dish servings, or 6 side salads.

Stephanie says:

I finally signed up on Google Reader and happened to get this right when I was trying to figure out what to do with my head of cabbage this week. This looks so good! The only question I have is, I think I only have cider vinegar. Any suggestions?
    Oh, and do you have a way for me to put your ad/logo on my blog? I put your link in my list of blogs, but if I can put the image it would get seen better. Keep up the yummy work!

Ashley says:

I am still here and still loving your blog! I’m the one who posted about having trouble with the yeast on those bread sticks. Next I am DYING to try your homemade rolls and orange rolls, but the yeast is scaring me! I’d hate to spend all that time on them and have them turn out not so great like my bread sticks did. Any ideas?

Heather says:

Yeast troubles…I didn’t touch yeast for about four years because I couldn’t get anything to rise. Then I tried again this month and I have had no rising problems. Maybe there was something wrong with my yeast? Or can something else in the ingredient list kill it? Or was it my methods? I wish I knew so that I could keep it from happening again.

Kate says:

Stephanie–We’re actually working on some buttons that people can put on their blogs/websites if they’re interested. Hey, Sara, get on that! ;) Also, do you have just regular ol’ white vinegar? You could replace the rice vinegar with that if you want.

Ashley–I TOTALLY get how scary it can be, especially if yeast didn’t work last time. And, like you said, it’s a huge time and ingredient investment. Check out the tips for yeast breads section, make sure your yeast is fresh (like I would buy a new jar of bread machine yeast and then keep it in your freezer), and then just make sure you’re not distracted. Duh, right? Yeah, well, you should’ve seen the batch of yeast dough I totally ruined the other night when I was trying to do something else at the same time! :) I might actually try doing another run with the breadsticks because the dough is a little easier, so if you’re successful with those, you might be less scared going into the orange roll-making. GOOD LUCK!!! Email us if you run into any problems along the way!

Both of you: We’ve said it before, but THANK YOU for your nice comments and all your support! You guys are what makes this fun! :)

melissa*smith says:

I LOVE your blog! We have just made the cake mix cookies so far, but I want to try everything! I love the pictures and instructions~thanks for a great website. Keep it up!

Liz says:

Love your blog! My daughter got me hooked on it. I really appreciate you both sharing your knowledge and expertise with all of us. Just saying hi and thanks!

lacy says:

I just tried the black beans…YUM! Thanks- I’ve passed this little treat (your blog) on to many.

Eric says:

looks like a great source of fiber…

Erika & Ryan says:

I’m here-been checking your blog each morning-it’s my daily ritual to see what’s cooking in your kitchen! I like the looks of this recipe-a nice variation from the recipe that I already have. Yummy Yummy! Ü

Erika & Ryan says:

MollyE says:

Sara, where do you buy your wonton wrappers here in Boise? I can never find them. Help! Also, thanks for checking my blog, its great!

Heidi says:

I’m excited to try this, it sounds so yummy! I also check your blog often, I LOVE it!!!

Allison Scott says:

This sounds very yummy. I have loved all the recipes from this site that I’ve tried! (I’m partial to the desserts, but I’ve made a few other things too–the fajita marinade was a big hit). What’s even better, is that my hubby has liked everything I’ve made from your recipes. Thanks!

Kendell Wrae says:

im new to your blog. and i love it. im so excited to become some who can walk into the kitchen and walk out with something other than cereal or easy mac for the boyfriend and myself to eat. :) yay. thanks a ton! :)

becca says:

Mmm…. I thought this salad was delicious!

Sara says:

Molly- I haven’t had any problems finding won ton wrappers around here (although I have a whole list of other ingredients they need to start importing to Idaho!) I usually buy groceries at Albertsons or Wally World and they both have them. You shop at Winco, right? I know, amazing the details I know about your life;) They should have them too. Are you looking in the right spot? They’re usually in the produce section, either next to the pre-packed salads and stuff, or buy the weird Asian Ingredients- but almost always on the wall in that refrigerated section somewhere.

Eric- yes, this is a greeat source of fiber :)

Katie says:

Hi! Love the blog (found it via BC) and I came here cause I had a hankering for fajitas…but alas, I don’t have 4 hours to wait…so fajitas tomorrow it is.

Toni says:

Hey Sara….I am still here checking out your blog. I just forget to comment on it. Everything looks so yummy! I just wish the kids and hubby were back in town so I have someone to cook for again.
    T

Camille says:

Well, since you asked…. Yes, I was actually out of town. :P Looks yummy! I always love salads in the summer but get sick of the same old thing so we’ll have to give this one a try!

Kathi and Ryan says:

I’m here too…I might make this one for a shower I’m throwing soon… And come on Sara…chop chop on the blinkies. I want everyone to know I’m a groupie right now!!! :-)

Sara says:

Oh yes, I forgot to comment on the blinkies. Let it be known that it is MY fault that they’re not here yet! I’ve been a total slacker. Okay, that’s not really true, I’ve just been so busy with other things- like food- that I haven’t done them yet! So I pledge right now to have them done by next week. And to make sure of it, I won’t post any recipes until they’re done! I’m aiming for Monday so CHECK BACK THEN!

In the mean time, if you have any ideas/requests for them (no worries kat, already got a groupie one with your name on it!) leave a comment, or drop us an email.

Camille says:

Yeah, I’m with Kat! Where’s my groupie blinkie?!?! You know I’ll proudly be sporting it on BBC!

Matthew says:

I have not commented before but Jason Chong told me about this blog a few weeks ago and I have really enjoyed it. My wife and baby have been out of town for weeks and I have been trying all kinds of things to impress her when she returns. The spicy chicken salad and faux rotisserie chicken are favs so far. I am going to also be trying Italian burgers and this salad soon. And definitely your crock pot-to-grill ribs. I am not the baker in my house so I anticipate when the wife returns I will be trying some of the desserts here as we. Thanks for your efforts, they are very much appreciated!

Courtney says:

This looks like a good summertime meal during this hot weather. Even Ryan said he’d try it.

Sara says:

Matthew- good to have you here. What an awesome husband you are to be cooking away while your wife is gone! I know lots of guys who would order pizza every day, lol. Love a guy who knows his way around a kitchen!

Courtney- I hope Ryan likes it too!

Katie says:

I tried this tonight and kept wondering if I needed more oil… and was a little worried… and it was amazing! Thanks for the low fat recipe… I can’t wait to eat it tomorrow for leftovers.

Janelle says:

I made this salad last night for 8 people and it was a big hit with all of them.
    Tonight I’m making the black beans.
    Very nice blog!

katie says:

This was phenomenal! Made it this evening–SO delicious. Added a tiny bit of ginger and sriachi as well. Yummy!

becca says:

I am eating this right now after craving it all day yesterday… so worth it :)

Leslie says:

Made this last night for dinner and it was soooo yummy! Just had the leftovers for lunch. Thanks again for a great recipe!

Brooke says:

Alert. Alert. Don't think that this delicious salad might be good if you substitute canned salmon for chicken. I'm pretty sure canned salmon is never good and that Dr. Oz lied to me. I thought it might be ok and I was totally wrong. It was so sad because the rest of the salad all looked and smelled delicous until I botched it with the fish. Just a warning that I'm sure no one else would even think of doing. I am, however, the worst cook in America! Here is a quote from my husband "It tastes like making out with a trout!" But I will try again using chicken this time!

Oh no Brooke! lol Your comment made me laugh- thanks for warning everyone else! haha You'll have to try it again with chicken because it's awesome!

Juliann says:

Since you didnt post it I figured out the WW Point Plus points and for the dinner sized portion (4 servings per recipe) with 1 cup chicken it would be 5 points. I cant wait to have it for lunch this week. I look forward to more WW friendly recipes

Thanks for the info Juliann!

Anna says:

Yummy yum yum yum! I tried coming up with my own Asian salad recipe and it was a flop. We love, love, love this salad and will be eating a lot more of it in the future. (We added mandarin oranges & wonton strips on top, too.) Thanks for the delish recipe!

Tanya says:

Just made this for lunch. Very light and refreshing. Thanks for the recipe.

Ashley says:

Delicious! Thank you for sharing, and thanks for including how many WW points it is. I love how quick and easy this salad is to put together.

This is another really yummy Asian salad that my sister-in-law made up. It is a big more time consuming but worth it:

Kristyn says:

Amazing. Period.
    Thanks for an amazing, healthy, quick, and easy recipe!

Michelle says:

Had a head of cabbage I didn’t know what to do with. I realized I had all the ingredients for this salad so I made it for dinner! It was delicious! I added a couple of shredded carrots and doubled most of the veggies to help empty my veggie drawer. Thanks for the fabulous recipe!

Allison says:

I saw this salad in the cookbook and it looks amazing!
    I’m going to try it for dinner this week and was wondering how crucial the sesame oil is to the dressing. I have never used sesame oil and don’t know what I’d use it for again (besides this salad) and figured since it was only 1/2 tsp. – maybe I could just leave it out? Or substitute something else?
    What should I do?
    Thanks!

Sesame oil has a strong flavor, so the little bit really does add a lot of flavor to the overall salad. You could probably leave it out and it would still taste great; it would just be missing that flavor component. If you do decide to buy the sesame oil, we have TONS of recipes that call for it, and one little bottle will last in your pantry for a long long time :)

Aimee says:

Just made this salad and it is oh so tasty! I made it for my Grandpa’s birthday and decided to have a big bowl of it before I brought it over to him. Hope he likes it as much as I do! Thanks for all the fantastic recipes. These past 2 weeks almost every night I am making something from your recipe index! Thank you thank you!!!

Kelli says:

Just made this last night. Loved it! I didn’t have sesame seeds so I tossed in some roasted sunflower seeds instead and it turned out yummy! Thanks for all the delicious recipes!

Debbie Bloomer says:

This was REALLY great. Thanks for sharing!

Laura says:

This looks delicious! I am wondering though…kosher salt or iodized salt?? Recipe calls for kosher, but picture shows iodized. Thanks! I’m in LOVE with this site!!

Hannah says:

I’m sorry, but this dressing was quite bad. Super salty!!

Heidi says:

This salad is one of my most favorite! I have made it many times and I cannot get enough! So delicious. The snap peas are essential- don’t leave them out if you can at all help it! Thanks for a great recipe!!