Posted in How To..., Kate, Latin, Other

“I like eggs over easy with flour tortillas, and nobody knows me like my baby…” Actually, I don’t really like eggs over easy, but I do love flour tortillas and I also love Lyle Lovett. If you think he’s just the ugly dude who was married to that actress from Pretty Woman who has dropped off the face of the planet, you should go find his music!

Anyway, If you’ve never had freshly-made flour tortillas, you really have to. After I had them the first time, I knew I could never go back. Yeah, there are times when I buy them and I always end up regretting it because I know what flour tortillas can be and a package of Mission tortillas ain’t it.

I tried a couple of times to make my own tortillas, but I always failed–they were always too thick because the dough was so tough that I wasn’t physically strong enough to roll them to the size and thickness and shape that I actually wanted them. And then I met Mel–Fabulous Fajita Mel–and I learned from her how to make my own gen-u-ine flour tortillas. And it’s really not THAT much work. Plus, the results are SO worth any extra effort it might take! I promise you, once you make these, you will never return to store-bought tortillas in good conscience.

Flour Tortillas

2 1/2 c. flour
1 c. very hot water
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1/4 c. shortening

In a heavy-duty mixer, combine flour and salt. Add in shortening and mix until well combined (it will resemble coarse bread crumbs). Add hot water. The water hotness is the key to these being easy to make–it needs to be hot enough to melt the shortening, but not SO hot that the dough turns into an ooey-gooey mess. Or a hot mess (literally), as Mia Michaels might say. I usually get relatively warm water from my tap and then heat it for 45-60 seconds in the microwave.

Anyway, after you add the water, the dough will start to come together. When it is fully combined, remove from mixer and divide into portions. Now…the recipe yield really depends on how many tortillas you want. If you want small tortillas (like for fajitas), then you’ll probably get around 10-12. If you want medium tortillas (burritos), then you’ll probably get 8 or so. For large tortillas (like for salad wraps), you’ll get around 6. Shape portions into round balls.

Preheat a non-stick or cast-iron skillet to medium-low heat. If necessary, spray your work surface with non-stick cooking spray; you may not need to because the dough isn’t particularly sticky, but it may be and you also don’t want to add any more flour to your dough. Press your palm against the surface of the dough ball, trying to maintain as much of a round shape as possible. Place rolling pin in middle of flattened dough ball and roll to desired thickness, shaping in a circle as you go.

Place raw tortilla on preheated skillet. Now…be forewarned–the first one may not work out great; it’s like the first pancake or the oldest child (TOTALLY kidding, oldest sister and oldest child!) You’re going to be watching for bubbles. If you get little blistery bubbles, your skillet is too hot and you need to reduce the heat. You’re looking for big, fat, slow-bubbling bubbles.

When you start to see them, flip the tortilla over and cook for another 30-45 seconds or so.

This is where some personal taste comes in, but in my experience, dark marks on your tortillas (like you see on store-bought ones) usually lead to brittle tortillas when they cool down. Personally, I’m keeping my eye out for a kind of “greasy” look inside; I know that sounds gross, but that’s the best way I can think of to describe it. These ones are cooked enough to not taste raw, but they’re also very soft when they cool and they hold up to being wrapped, folded, twisted, and turned.

If you’re cooking these quickly, you can just stack them on top of each other and they’ll stay warm. You can also wrap them in damp paper towels and then wrap them in foil and keep them in a warm oven (170) until you’re ready to use them. But be sure and save one just for you–you have to eat it while it’s still hot and you can spread some butter on it or butter with cinnamon sugar or just eat it plain and BLESS the wonder that is real Mexican food!

So let’s hear it! Any other Lyle Lovett fans out there? Mia Michaels, anyone? Have you made your own tortillas before? Have you had fresh tortillas? Are you gonna try THESE fresh tortillas?

jenimur says:

I will totally be trying these out! There is nothing quite like a warm, freshly made tortilla! Ole!

rachelle says:

i just love you girls! i swear we are on the same wavelength. i made these last night, no joke. i can vouch that they ROCK! we love ‘em with everything. i adore how you go to all the work of explaining it all. you’re great! (i’m way too lazy.) anyhoo, keep up the good work! you’re awesome!
    and i just posted a major tribute to your blueberry cheesecake ice cream, and my new addiction to it. thanks, i guess! :) *hugs* rachelle

Katelynn says:

I was just talking to DH about making tortillas, and he said, “Oh, it’s too much work!”

BOOO, I say!

I’ll try these and let you know. I’m excited!

Erika & Ryan says:

These look soooo good! I’m a major mexican food lover, and I’m so excited to make these along with your fajita recipe! Thanks for all the great recipes-I’ve been lazy with my cooking lately and kind of in a rut, and you have totally brought me out of it!

Erika & Ryan says:

Fichtner says:

OK Kate you have a deal. I just happen to be making fajitas this evening and I will try it. I have always been intimidated by homemade tortillas, but you’re making me feel it is more of a pie-crust-type-fable. I hope it goes well. My only concern is my piece of junk, older than old gas stove does not have a low setting (the flame goes out and noxious gas spills into the house – ya fun).

Fichtner says:

Oh another quick thing, should I be using my dough hook on the mixer?

Kate says:

Yeah, Rach, use the dough hook on your mixer! :)

Sara says:

mmmm…I love homemade tortillas so much. And want to hear something naughty? (Not that!) I love to smear one with butter and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top. Heavenly!

Does anyone have a tortilla press? I just ordered one and I think it just might change my life forever.

Erin says:

I want to try these, AND I’m scared. I have a couple of questions: do you double your batch? Do they keep well for a day or two? Do you flatten out all of the dough balls at the same time, or flatten one and then cook it, flatten the next one and then cook it? I know could just try it and see what happens, but I’m intimidated enough by the thought of from-scratch tortillas that I need extra details. Thanks!

I have a tortilla press that has never actually left it’s box. I might have to give it a whirl one of these days!

Kate says:

Sara–I’ve heard that tortilla presses are a good starting point, but they don’t get the dough thin enough for most people. I figure if it doesn’t work THAT great, it’s one less dish for me to wash! :)

Erin, you can SO do this! And think of it this way–if it doesn’t work, you’ll be out about 25 cents (if that!) and 20 minutes; not exactly high stakes here. To answer your questions…

1. I only double the batch if we’re having guests or I need a whole bunch of tortillas. If you’re in an industrious mood, you could make a whole bunch at once and cook them (or not) and freeze them and then use them as you need them. If you freeze them, you just need to let them thaw before you cook them.

2. You can store any uneaten tortillas in the fridge for a couple of days or the freezer for a couple of months. If you’re pulling them out of the fridge, just heat ‘em up first so they taste good and they’re soft.

3. As far as rolling/cooking/rolling goes, these days, as long as I don’t have anything else going on, I heat up the skillet, roll a few out, and then cook while I finish rolling out the dough. HOWEVER. I have to get into that rhythm and it’s not something I’d recommend when you’re getting started. If you’re nervous, I’d roll all the tortillas out and then start cooking them so you can give them 100% of your attention.

Hope that helps! You can DO this! :)

ladiebuggg888 says:

I am also afraid to try this, but you encouraging Erin kind of encouraged me. i was going to buy my daughter a tortilla press for her 12th birthday (yes she wants a press and a waffle maker for her birthday lol, unfortunately i didn’t have the money to buy her either) so i think i will let my girls try this recipe

Steph says:

I love these homemade tortillas…And I haven’t had luck with my tortilla press (but it works great for corn tortillas!)

Alas, my sweet hubby no longer eats white flour, so don’t get to make this kind any more.

Lisa-Lou-Who says:

I love these tortillas and I make them with wheat all the time. So much healthier and yummy too.

Heidi says:

I have made my own tortillas and we loved the taste of them, but they didn’t stay together and fell apart. I’m definitely going to try this recipe! Can you substitute whole wheat flour?

About Ours Good One Home says:

Hey! I have made my own tortillas but somehow they end up very puffed. Very good, but certainly not a tortilla. I’ll try these soon!

Morgan and Derek says:

I don’t buy store tortillas anymore! Homemade are SO MUCH BETTER! And not too hard at all!

Morgan and Derek says:

oh and Sara, Derek and I argue about buying a tortilla press all the time. He thinks it will change my life, but I like my funky, non-circular homemade ones. Someday I’ll cave.

mushbelly says:

these look amazing. I love homeade tortillas but have only attempted to make them once. Lately, Ive been buying the raw tortillas at Costco and cooking them myself. They are really good, but I still want to try making my own again. Thanks for the instruction and inspiration.

Sara says:

I love the raw tortillas from Costco. I say if you can’t make your own, that’s the next best thing!

mellynne says:

This recipe was taught to me by Mexican women who didn’t speak a lick of English. My own opinion…but I think this dough is too tender for a press. In any case, I could live on these. Mmmmm …warm right out of the pan with butter on them. Why again am I low-carbing it????

BTW, Kate… I saw Lyle Lovett in concert. He was very entertaining…as was the guy who opened for him. –Keb Mo’.

Mel

Mare says:

I tried your tortillas last night and they were fabulous—and suprisingly easy!! Thanks for all your great recipes. I love this sight!

malouf says:

Is that butter-flavored Crisco you have in the picture? I used regular Crisco, and I’m wondering if they would be a little more flavorful with the butter variety. So easy to make and good! Thanks for the tips!

Kate says:

Alison–Yep, it’s butter-flavored Crisco, and I really think it does make a difference. You can also use lard (ew, I know) for a really great flavor.

Danielle says:

Ok – I’ve made these twice in the past week. My husband and I are addicted. LOVE them! Last night I told them we had to have breakfast burritos for dinner just so I could make more! Thanks!!

Lindsay says:

Love these. I try to limit our use of shortening, but for these, it’s worth it. I’ll have to try them with wheat flour sometime.

Chef E says:

I make these on Saturday brunch at the cafe, I saw the director on youtube while surfing the net, Robert Rodriguez, make them and remembered how easy they are to make.

The Payne Family says:

Would they turn out if you replaced the shortening for another oil? If so, would vegetable/olive oil be better than smart balance or something like that?

Kate says:

Oh, I honestly have no idea. If I HAD to replace the shortening with something, it would probably be vegetable oil (like canola oil, not olive oil) and then margarine if that didn’t work. The good thing with shortening is that it’s now trans-fat free, so if you’re concerned about that, you don’t need to be anymore.

Memória says:

Lard is definitely better and more authentic. Lard gets a bad rap for no reason. It contains more good fats than butter, especially when it is homemade. Thanks for the recipe! Also, if you're going to be eating Mexican food, you are going to be eating a bunch of non-healthy ingredients.

Russell says:

Well, after making your pizza dough breadsticks, and wowing my taste testers…I decided to bust out some flour tortillas this morning. I've always always ALWAYS meant to figure out how to make my own, and with your instruction, now I know…thanks!!! At the rate I'm going, I'll have my friends referring to me as "The Dough Whisperer" in no time…

Christine says:

These look so easy yet so intimidating! My only question is this… I don't have a lovely Kitchenaid mixer – just a regular old little hand mixer. Would that still work?

I looooove this blog. Not only are the pictures and recipes fantastic, I can always count on a laugh from reading it. Thanks for sharing all of this great yumminess!

Woohoo Mia Michaels! I still have SYTYCD episodes on my TiVo from last season… thats embarrassing.

Kate says:

Okay, Christine. The first thing you need to do is run right out and buy a Kitchenaid mixer. ;) No, seriously, I've never *tried* making these without my heavy-duty mixer, but they've been making them in Mexico for hundreds of years, right? So I'm sure it can be done.

I'm thinking you could mix the shortening into the flour and salt with your hand mixer, but when you add the water, I would just mix it in by hand. It'll feel a lot like homemade playdough. Just make sure the water isn't too hot because we'd hate to be sued or something! :)

And yeah, unfortunately, we lost all of last year's SYTYCD episodes a few months ago and I nearly cried. I wish they'd put the seasons on DVD!!

Jaimie says:

Ok, I need some major help with this recipe.. I tried to make a batch TWO times today and it failed miserably. The dough was TOTALLY sticky- it stuck to my hands in one big goopy mess.

I didn't use Kosher salt because well, I don't buy that.. And I used vegetable shortening rather than butter-flavored. Would either of those be the culprit?

It just seemed like the dough was SO hot and melty or something?

Suggestions? Thanks!! I really, really want to be able to make these! We eat a lot of tortillas!!!

Kate says:

Hey, Jaimie! I've been having some of the same issues this summer, I'm thinking because of the humidity. These are the things that I've found:

–Get reasonably hot tapwater, but don't worry about microwaving it.

–You may need to add an additional 1/4-1/2 c. of flour; basically, add the amount of flour called for in the recipe and then add enough more to make the consistency like soft homemade playdough.

–Butter-flavored shortening is fine, and Kosher salt won't affect the texture, but I really think it tastes better with Kosher salt! :)

Try those out and let us know how it goes! :)

Jaimie says:

I did it!

I ended up going to get butter-flavored shortening because I ran out of regular anyways.

I probably added at least 1/2 C. more flour, if not 3/4-1 Cup extra. It has to be the humidity.

After that, they were really easy and I loved them. : )

Donya says:

I made these and they were so yummy! Thanks for another great recipe!

Trimble says:

Tried these tonight and it did not turn out well. They NEVER bubbled and I left them on forever! I used 1 cup of wheat flour though and I used the whisk attachment for the Kitchenaid. Could one of those things or both have messed it up?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Trimble–It sounds like a couple things probably went wrong. First, you shouldn't have been able to mix it with the whisk attachment on your Kitchenaid–it should've been way too heavy for that. So it sounds like you probably needed more flour because you definitely want to be using your dough hook.

Wheat flour shouldn't be a problem, especially if you're not subbing all wheat flour.

From your description, it sounds like your skillet probably wasn't hot enough–if they never bubble, then they'll just get kind of dry and hard as they cook for too long. I'd try turning up the heat a little next time and see if that helps.

I'm sorry they didn't work! :( Hopefully they'll be better next time!

Trimble says:

Thanks Kate! I'll try again.

Deni says:

Made these yesterday morning for the first time and my kids LOVED them. So I made another double batch last night and made them into your taquito recipe. Yummy,yummy and so worth the little effort.

I had some problems with my tortillas springing back into a thicker circle than the one I had rolled out. So, my tortillas were thicker than I wanted. Suggestions?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Deni–I'm so glad you loved them! They do kind of spring back, so I just generally roll them out a little bigger than I plan on having them. Also, if you roll them out thinner, there seems to be less shrinkage. Part of the charm of homemade tortillas, I guess! :)

kristin says:

Can't wait to try these, and for the record, I grew up with Lyle Lovett crooning from the car speakers… His music was the only thing our whole family liked. Personal favorite: If I Had a Boat. Also, the fabulous Ms. Mia M. rocks my world.

Rachel says:

So, I love the creative ideas I get from your blog, and last night I tried these flour tortillas. I'm not sure if I did something wrong because they did not bubble. Not even little ones. Also, they were pretty dry…I just used "regular shortening." Any thoughts?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Rachel–It sounds like your skillet probably wasn't quite hot enough. Hope that helps!

Kitchen Kween says:

Thank you so incredibly much for this recipe! I made it twice in one day. The first time I made it with butter and my husband loved it. I wanted a more figure friendly tortilla because I ended up eating a lot of them before they even made it to the dinner table, so I made a version with a corn oil (just a little- maybe 2 tablespoons) and they turned out great too! Not as tasty but now I have an excuse to eat more;)

By the way, I added the oil to the water then gradually added them to the flour.

Quiet Footsteps says:

Total yum!!! Made these tonight and they totally reminded me of our time living on the border of what we affectionately refer to as "Mexas". So good! Thanks for the recipe!

allie says:

Omigod! I just made these to use for enchiladas at my dinner party a few days ago and I am still getting rave reviews! What an easy recipe! Thanks Ladies!

The Stells! says:

just made these they are wonderful and really easy!! thanks!!

Stephanie says:

I just made these. Used margarine instead and worked very well! At one point the hot water made it into a sticky mess but I just let the dough sit there for a moment and all was good again.

Drew says:

Lyle Lovett stayed at the Salish Lodge when I worked there. We had to stock up on white cheddar popcorn and Rold Gold pretzels for him, in case you ever have him over…

Monica says:

Tried these tonight and my dough was kind of sticky. It was hard to roll them out so I added more flour, which helped a little. Mine sure didn't look anything like the picture, very uneven in shape and thickness. They also did not bubble, but they did brown nicely. So, here I'm thinking my kids are going to make fun of me for trying a new recipe, but instead, they were thrilled when I took the foil off the plate! They didn't even care that they looked different from the store bought tortillas and said "this is a keeper Mom!"

Alison says:

I just made these tonight as a surprise for my husband who LOVES fresh tortillas. They were wonderful and suprisingly easy to make. He loved them and we both loved your fajita recipe (one of his favorite foods), which we thought were amazing!

Shannon says:

This is a dumb question, but if you were to give a specific temperature for "medium low" for these babies, what would it be? I'd like to set my griddle to the right heat before ruining too many tortillas. Also, about how long would you say you cook it on the first side before the bubbles start to come up?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Shannon–I pretty much never use my electric griddle, so I may be way off here, BUT if I were, I would say the lowest temp on the dial is "low," the highest is "high," the middle is "medium," so I would go for the middle of the lowest and medium setting. How long it takes just depends on your griddle, dough, elevation, everything–there's always a little trial and error. But it shouldn't be longer than about 2 minutes–if it takes longer than that, try increasing the temperature a little.

Hope that helps!

Missy says:

Did someone say homemade tortillas? I make them ALL THE TIME! My husband and I love them with just about everything. I use my griddle which I can cook 4 tortillas at time on. I put mine at the highest setting (400)and cook each side no more than one minute. Also, on my tortilla press… I never roll, but to make it easier I use a gallon sized zip lock and cut the zip part completely off and then slit the sides so that it is a folded piece of plastic and then lay that on your press and the dough ball between the plastic. It makes it much easier to peel the dough back and much less mess. Hope that helps everyone!

Lisa says:

I want try making these but I want to know if the results will be the same using a Gluten Free flour replacer (Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour to be exact). I would imagine they would but the flour is pricey & I don’t have the budget to lose that flour. With gluten free twins in my house I really need tortillas they can have. Corn tortilla quesadillas aren’t cutting any more. LOL…

Thx bunches.

Lisa, you can always give it a shot! This recipe doesn’t rely heavily on the gluten, but I don’t have any firsthand experience, so I can’t say whether or not it would work for sure!

Angela says:

I want to make a about 150 tortillas for a dinner. I read that you can freeze them and I would prefer to freeze them cooked.What method would you suggests for reheating them, especially that many? Thanks!

I made these, using lard as someone else suggested. It’s really not that bad…Alton explained the pros of it in one of his episodes of Good Eats, it may have been the pie crust episode. Anyway, these turned out divine! And so easy! We made tacos out of them last night and we still have some leftover, so I think I’ll make cheese quesadillas to go with chicken noodle soup tonight.

Andrea Coombs says:

About how much time is supposed to pass before you flip them? I tried making these tonight and they cooked forever and never bubbled. . .so then I read through the comments section on here and turned up the heat–to no avail. They were just weird and dry and never bubbly. Did I not make them thin enough? Too much flour? I just don’t know. Thanks!

Hmmmm…you don’t happen to have a pic, do you?

Honestly, it sounds like maybe it wasn’t hot enough when you started and then they were dried out by the time it got hot enough.

• Andrea says:

Kate~
        Sadly I don’t have a picture. Honestly, I would probably be too embarrassed to show it to you even if I did. I felt like I let the skillet preheat a good long time, but sometimes my stove occasionally acts possessed. Thanks though. I have been making lots of other stuff off here that has turned out great!

MONA says:

CLEAR! THANKS .. I thought and I realized .. YOUR RECIPE IS EASY TO MAKE ME THE MOST COMPLICATED AND I WILL TRY TO TELL YOU A HUG ..

Kristen says:

Another perfect recipe!! Thanks again ladies for making me new job (stay at home MOM) so much fun! I have been working my way through your cookbook and blog and am loving every recipe and tip you have to offer!

Erica Kirby says:

Bahahahahaha! Your “oldest child” comment cracked me up. I’m the oldest and I know completely what you mean! The tortillas look great! Can’t wait to try them!~

Dan says:

These are top notch. I prefer them with a little added corn meal.

Sandy says:

Haven’t made the tortillas yet – my grocery store makes homemade tortillas while you watch – but I had to congratulate you on your excellent taste in music. I too am a big Lyle Lovett fan, so I’m always happy when I hear of someone who appreciates his music. He’s the best!

Kiersten says:

The first time I made homemade tortillas, they turned out HORRIBLE! I almost gave up completely. But somehow I decided to try your recipe and now I rarely buy tortillas anymore. I love them!

Jessica Mai says:

I have had yummy freshly made tortillas before – I love love love them and have always dreamed of making my own. This recipe and your comments make it seem like I may be able to do this all by myself! I can’t wait to try this!

Michelle says:

Wow! These were delicious! My husband and I always buy “fresh” uncooked tortillas from Costco, but these tasted just as good! And so easy!

Patti Jean says:

We made these tortillas, the mango pico de gallo and the chili lime rubbed steak for fajitas for a Mexican meal tonight. Everything was great. The tortillas were easy and so worth the little extra effort to make. The only thing we changed was the amount of salt in the second batch. We tasted the first and it just seemed to need something so we added an extra ½ teaspoon. Because we were doing one at a time in a cast iron skillet and making a double batch we tuned a lid upside down over the sautéed peppers and onions pan on the stove, put a plate on the lid and let the hot lid keep our plate warm which kept our tortillas at a perfect warm temp. We did throw a damp paper towel in between every few or so. Don’t know if we needed the moisture but thought it wouldn’t hurt. They were GREAT! Right down to the last one, still warm and soft! Try them if you haven’t, they really are easy and so good.

Meg says:

I LOVE this site! I made these tortillas last night, using all butter, and they were beautiful and delicious!! My family all LOVED them! (BTW, when you make 10 tortillas out of the recipe, they are 5 Weight Watchers Points Plus each, figured from the WW website). Also, I use a Bosch, and the recipe worked great in it. I just had to break up the butter a bit more with a knife. We served these with your pico de gallo without the jalapeno, which was awesome, and made the creamy lime-cilantro dressing! Everything we try is always amazing! Thanks so much for the great site and all the helpful photos. I just got your recipe book as a gift as well, and am loving it!!

Pam Bennett says:

Thank you for this recipe. I have tried making them in the past with the same experience you wrote about in your first paragraph and had given up. At times I buy the cook kind at Costco but they are so expensive. I look forward to trying this recipe this week.

patrice says:

I have never made fresh tortellas before. Judgeing from some comments, could one use a flat heavy pan to keep them from bubbling up? My tomatoes are blooming, so I can’t wait for fresh tacos and a BLT or two or three!!!! Yummy!

Azita says:

i put milled/ground flaxseed and chia into it (tried to have a healthier version), everything else according to the recipe… but it turned out pretty hard… not sure if it was the seeds or the temperature… it was between low and middle heat. What should do I do make it nice and soft? I really don’t wanna buy tortillas, want to make them myself. I wonder if I can use coconut oil

darcelle says:

I think that we may have been separated at birth, except that I am a lot older than you. I LOVE Lyle Lovett and think that everyone who doesn’t listen to him is really missing out on his superior music. I also just read your Mint Brownie/Tim Riggins brownie today and have to say that I love, love, love Friday Night Lights and have watched it since it first came out. I even switched to Directv for it and to get a Tim Riggins fix, Coach Taylor, too! All the recipes I’ve tried from your site have been so delicious and I’m about to buy your book at Costco. Thanks for your wonderful blog!

Oh, see, I LOVE me some Coach Taylor–in fact, I’m kind of more in love with him than Tim Riggins. Coach Taylor’s the guy I’d marry, Tim Riggins, is the guy I’d lust after, and Matt Saracen…oh, Matty, break my heart…

• darcelle says:

I agree on all counts! I was so sad when I watched the last episode. I admit that a few actual tears may have rolled down my cheeks. I think that it was the most perfect finale of a show ever! If you haven’t already seen it and enjoy something funny, the show “Arrested Development” is also an awesome show! :o)

Lily says:

I haven’t tried these yet, but I’m sure they’re amazing.

Better yet- try them for OBB’s Baked Cinnamon Chips!

Do you know anything about Powdered Shortening? I went to the local baking store intending to buy butter flavored shortening for this very recipe, and the lady sold me powdered shortening. It’s kind of soupy when you mix it up. Would that still work in this recipe?

shelley says:

great site. My sisters and I have one where we post our healthy recipes and health info. One we’re going to do a post on is shortening/fat and the healthier versions…if you’re going to use shortening, look into spectrum’s organic non-hydrogenized shortening, if you haven’t yet. :)

Millie says:

You’ve ruined me. Thanks a lot! My boys love quesadillas, but we were out of tortillas and live WAY out in the country. I remembered you posting about these back at Cinco de Mayo, so I looked it up and made them. Best quesadillas. Ever. For my lunch, I sauteed some cubed zucchini and potatoes in some olive oil & butter, seasoned with sea salt and a titch of onion powder (I would ordinarily cook some onion, too – but I’m 6 weeks and onions aren’t doing it for me.) I threw that in my amazing tortilla with some cheddar-jack cheese and a scrambled egg. Ohmygoodness. Thank you for this recipe, I’m not sure I’ll go back!

Firecat Maren says:

These are amazing! They will be perfect for a great recipe that my momma and I came up with in which we use the “cook yourself” tortilla’s (as they are much better than the not-so-tasty store bought ones). And I imagine these will make my recipe into the first place recipe it was destined to be (it came in 2nd place on a Utah’s Own recipe contest the news held a few years back). And I must say, I do love that Fabulous Fajita Mel – I just never knew her in such context until she pointed me in the direction of the tortilla recipe on your website when we were discussing how much we adore your cookbook/website.

Kelly B. says:

Ha ha! Fabulous-Fajita Mel is my sister!! She taught me how to make tortillas too! (among MANY other things). I have to agree… there is NOTHING like hot, fresh, homemade tortillas. I learned a funny concept from Alton Brown about tortillas that I thought I’d share… Apparently, after you’ve made homemade tortillas, and have fried them up into tortilla chips, you can actually grind them up after they’ve gone stale and turn them into…. TORTILLAS! Just like a phoenix, they have a never-ending life cycle! Who would have thought!

P.S. Mel introduced me to you guys by giving me your cookbook as a gift… one of the best gifts I have ever received. NO KIDDING – EVERY single recipe I have tried has turned out incredible. Good work!

Carol says:

Can you use regular salt instead of kosher?

Mommy J says:

I have made tortillas for years, after I learned from a navajo lady and a friend from Arizona.
    My kids love the green spinach tortillas and the sundried tomato tortillas to make cheese and lunch meat rolled sandwiches. (A local resturant had a sandwich called the “Big Bird” that we copied and they do the same with the spinach tortillas and call them “Oscar the Grouch”)
    Do you have any ideas on how to do tortilla variations like that?

My tortillas never bubbled and are kind of hard and crispy. First I set my skillet to 300, and since that didn’t work I heated it to 400. I had to add extra flour because my dough was too sticky and I used regular crisco, but other than that I stuck to the recipe. What do you think I need to change to fix them?

It sounds like your skillet was actually probably too hot. I’d turn it down to the 250-275 range and wait for the big, puffy bubbles to appear.

You can also make the water warm instead of hot–you might not need as much flour that way and that could help solve your problems (but definitely decrease the heat, too).

Hope that helps!

Jami J says:

Oh gosh! My sweet hubby gave me your cookbook for Christmas… we had the sweet mexican style pork this week! Oh My Gosh So DELICIOUS! Anyways I attempted these babies and had NO success, come to find out from your instructions here that I didn’t use hot enough water and my skillet was too hot… I’m so excited to try them again and hopefully have a ton of yummies because of it… thank you! :D

pen says:

I am a hunter of the perfect recipe for anything. I enjoy reading your comments as much as I like looking at your recipes. Found you by accident, by looking at a review of the “Food Nanny” on Amazon. Thank you for doing this blog. I am going to try a few recipes and then buy your book.

Megan says:

I am really excited to try these… I live in a small-ish town in Idaho and I’m just tired of not being able to find and afford GOOD, REAL tortillas. I’m from AZ where you can go to the Mexican market on Main Street and buy the most amazing tortillas for cheap. I’ve been looking for an excuse to try making them but I remember my mother trying to make them and they were always too thick and bready-feeling, so I’ve always been too scared… here’s to conquering my fears!

Sarah says:

Oh these are heaven! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I just finished making these for the second time. I saved the last tortilla for myself and while it was still hot I slathered some Nutella on it and that is what I am eating right now.

I tried adding half cup of whole wheat flour and it gave the tortillas a really nice rustic look without the whole wheat flavour. Going to have Buffalo Chicken wraps tonight. Yum!

Nicholai says:

That’s an awesome way to describe it. You’re a great writer. My wife and I make tortillas together, but we wanted to know why some would turn out more brittle. You explained it perfectly. Thank you.

Nancy Benson says:

Have you tried it with cocoa powder and some sugar? I don’t really know how much you would have to add, but I have heard of chocolate tortillas before. I think that would be good!

eloise says:

hey there! i am fixin’ to make these tortillas, and i was wandering IF i have any left over, how or what should i store them in, when i put them in the fridge? Phew… forgive my run-on sentence.:)

Ceci says:

I randomly started craving Mexican food
    at 10:00 at night, and then I came on
    here, saw these, whipped ‘em up, and
    ate ‘em with butter melted across the top!
    you guys saved my night time tummy rumblings,
    I am eternally grateful!!!

Jay says:

Kate,
    what type of shortening is this? It looks like margarine or butter

Sophia says:

Can you make this without a stand mixer?? If so, could you give me some direction? Thanks!

Natalie says:

Hi. I have bought the “fresh” tortillas from costco, but I am going to try making my own. I was wondering if I used them for taquitos or breakfast burritos, do I cook them first, or can I fill them raw and then bake them in the oven as per recipe? I have both your cookbooks and have NEVER made anything my family did not like! Amazing talent from both of you and THANK YOU for sharing it! :)

[…] Package of Medium Flour Tortillas (we like mission but I think I might make my own this time– I’ll let you know how it goes! One Packet of Taco Seasoning (this I usually […]