I’ll be totally straightforward with you guys–my husband does not like this drink. He thinks it’s a “chick drink.” I think it’s probably the cranberry juice because heaven forbid he like something that’s good for him–if he could hook himself up to a Mountain Dew I.V., he probaby would. It also probably explains his kidney stone a few years ago. Okay, enough about my husband’s urinary tract.

Anyway, I love this drink. It’s sweet, it’s tart, it’s tangy. A tiny bit tropical. I like the cranberry juice because the color and flavor reminds me of grenadine, but it’s cheaper and more flavorful than grenadine. I think the citrus and cranberry make it a fabulous drink for a brunch, although you could make arguments for just about any time of day or season. I do think it’s a perfect drink for a girly evening, although don’t let that deter any of you guys out there who are dying to try it! :) Also, if you drink alcohol, you could replace the ginger ale with champagne to be extra festive!
Sunrise Punch
2 c. pineapple juice
2 c. cranberry juice
1 (11.5 oz.) can apricot or mango nectar
1/2 c. FRESH lime juice (about 4-5 limes)
2 12-oz. cans ginger ale (or 3 c.)

Combine pineapple juice, cranberry juice, “nectar,” and lime juice.

Chill until ready to serve. When ready, you can either mix the ginger ale with the juice-ish mixture or you can mix the drinks 2 parts juice, one part ginger ale. Serve over lots of ice. Garnish with fresh fruit and a little paper umbrealla if you feel the urge!
CUTTING FRUIT SHAPES

So I thought it would be fun to garnish the glasses with mango cut into shapes. I cut the mango into 4 pieces as per Sara’s instructions.
I used some teeny, tiny cookie cutters I got at William-Sonoma and cut into the fruit while it was still on the skin. Then I inverted the skin and cut the stars off with a sharp knife. I cut a slit halfway through it and voila! I could slide it right onto the glass! You could do it with any fruit that’s big, smooth, and firm enough to handle being cut–apples, bananas, melons, etc.

Ashley says:

I love the star-shaped fruit! I’ll be trying that for sure!!!

Sara says:

Ditto that, how cute are the mango stars?! That drink looks so yummy, I want to reach through the screen and slurp it down. I love the color too. Beautiful! Always love a fun drink.

imajacobs says:

This looks great! I have a ton of Sprite in my food storage, so would that be an acceptable substitution for the ginger ale?

Kate says:

Oh, yeah, you could totally use Sprite! :) And you’ve gotta have the most fun food storage EVER! :)

Steph says:

Looks like a winner to me!
    Maybe our next recipe exchange night.

Angie says:

Looks way too refreshing!!! I’ll be coming to your site for my next shin dig!

Lacey says:

I KNOW I commented on this, but it must have disappeared! This drink sounds SO yummy! I’m going to have to try it, and then will come the hard part: deciding which to make for the bridal shower I’m planning, this or the brazilian lemonade. Which do you suggest? I’m thinking this one will be easier to make in larger quantities because it doesn’t involve a blender.

Kendell Wrae says:

i love the fruit cutting idea. are there other fruits you can cut that would hold shape like that? that would be an easy table filler for a wedding or somethng like that. thanks. love the blog! :)

Kate says:

Lacey–Ooh, that’s a tough call! Braziliam Lemonade is my all-time favorite drink, but yeah, this would definitely be easier; no straining or blending!

Kendall–You could totally do it with other fruit! :) Melons, apples, kiwi, bananas, etc. Pretty much anything that holds its shape really well and isn’t really segmented (like oranges or raspberries).

The Brewers says:

I know I am a few months late commenting but you could totally use starfruit!

Kristen says:

Made this for a neighborhood party and everyone loved it. I used sprite instead of the ginger ale because there were going to be a lot of young kids there so I thought it would sweeten it up a little more for the kiddos. But really anything carbinated usually goes over pretty well for them.

Pamela Morrison says:

How many servings does this recipe make?

A lot! You can just add up the volume of the juices for a total- serving size really depends on the size you’re doing.

Mariah says:

that sounds amazing also would you have an idea on whih drink would be the eaiest and coolestfor a 13 year old’s birthday party? it a Black light party.