One of the most common questions I get this time of year is “What can I do with tomatoes??” “How should I cook my zucchini??” Seems like anyone with a garden has always got plenty of both! So this week (and throughout the coming month really) I’m going to devote time to the garden bounty and show you a few things I like to do with mine. And if you’re wondering why I’m talking in “I” and not “we” it’s because Kate will be spending her week trying not to get swept away by hurricane Gustav! Keep her in your thoughts this week so she can be back cookin’ real soon.

Onto the food-
This dish was created out of necessity last summer when I had tomatoes coming out of my ears. We loved it so much we literally made it several times a week. However we never get tired of it, because as you’ll see there’s lots of different ways to use it. I serve this as a normal salsa with chips, but also as a side salad, or a main dish by tossing some grilled steak or chicken on top. It’s about as fresh and summery as you can get and perfect for a garden meal. You toss the corn and tomatoes right on the grill.
The corn gets super sweet as it caramelizes in its natural sugars and the tomatoes become smoky and tender. Everyone always loves this. Enjoy!

Look at all this yummy produce- you’ll need some olive oil and some spices too.
Plus: Green onions, black beans, corn, cilantro, avocado, tomato, and lime.

Oh ya, and happy Labor Day!
Is anyone even around, or are you all out having fun??

Eric says:

This is so good…esp with fresh vegetables.

Marcy says:

Oh my goodness, this dish SO up my alley. And yes, those little tostados are SO adorable! Leave it to you to make a killer dish, provide cute pics and make my mouth water at 10am in the morning!

Now I need to go buy some corn! I’m kicking myself that I didn’t pick some up (like I usually do) at Costco on Sat…RATS!

Lisa-Lou-Who says:

I am around. I wish I were out somewhere having fun! That salad/salsa looks so delish. I WISH WISH WISH you and Kate were both my next door neighbors so I could peek over the fence and watch you grill all the time, oh and to eat all the food you shared with me of course. I’d stock you up with aprons and bags and you could keep me fed!

becca says:

Haha the scoops are SO CUTE!!! I made this (as well as I could remember from last time you made it for me) a couple of weeks ago. Dad LOVED it- even though I had to leave out the onions and avocados :( He kept saying ever and over how good it was0 and it wasn’t nearly as good as yours!

Nurse Heidi says:

I love this stuff. I make my own version all the time (meaning, I’m too lazy to actually roast the corn, so I open a can of Del Monte, but I’ll bet it’s way better with the fresh stuff). And I’m pleased to see the chipotle chili powder in there – that’s what I consider my secret ingredient that makes the salsa special.

Ryan, Erika & Ethan says:

That looks so yummy! You both are doing an amazing job with this site. I absolutely love it! I have had a couple friends I told about it also comment on how much they love your recipes.

Ryan, Erika & Ethan says:

Kendell Wrae says:

MMM that all looks so good. im excited to try it out. i really like the scoops idea. :) super cute

Becky says:

This looks really yummy. I kind of wish I had a party to go to as I would LOVE to bring that little appetizer and take all the glory for a second before I confess I got the idea from your blog.

climbhighak says:

I think the first time I came across your blog was from either foodgawker or tastespotting with the rib recipe. Now I have my grilled peppers cooling so I can skin them. Just googled some corn and black bean salsa recipes and again I come upon your great food. We obviously share a similar palette.

Coming across a fellow cook that details their recipes and experiences with photos and words reassures anyone else trying a similar recipe that they are on the right track. Thanks for sharing.

Kelly11 says:

I made this over the weekend. One word- AMAZING! It was better after sitting overnight in the fridge, as the flavors really had a chance to meld together. Was gobbled up!