Yeah, yeah, I get it. Caramel apples aren’t exactly earth-shattering or anything. But there are caramel apples and then there are caramel apples. Have you seen those amazingly gorgeous caramel apples at places like Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory but you haven’t felt like shelling out $8 for some tastier-than-average produce? Well, today’s your day. These are easy, easy, easy, will wow everyone who sees them, and are easily cut up for a gorgeously impressive Halloween party finger food!

Caramel Apples

–1 bag Kraft caramels or Kraft caramel bits

–About 4-5 large, tart apples (I use Granny Smith; some of them were a little too sour this time, but there’s no real way of knowing that when you’re buying them…)

–Desired toppings; could use crushed candy bars (I’ve used Twix, Snickers, Butterfinger {yum}, and Heath), chopped nuts like peanuts, cashews, or macadamias (my favorite), toasted coconut, melted white or semisweet chocolate, melted marshmallows or warmed marshmallow cream, peanut butter or peanut butter chips; the sky’s the limit here!

1. Wash and dry apples; apples must be completely dry before you dip them in caramel.

2. In a medium saucepan, melt caramel according to package directions. Due to the fact that I live in the sticks, caramel bits are not available to me at this time; however, Sara was gracious enough to send me a picture of these little cuties that are doubly adorable because you don’t have to unwrap them, thus increasing the melting-to-eating stage of the apple-making process.

3. Spray a generous piece of wax or parchment paper with non-stick cooking spray.

4. Firmly place a popsicle stick into the apple (make sure it goes about halfway down. You usually get some with the caramels; if not, you can get a big bag of popsicle sticks in the craft section of the grocery store OR you can get some fancy-schmancy pointed sticks anywhere you get cake and candy-making supplies.

5. When caramel is melted, quickly dip apples. The easiest way to ensure even caramel distribution is to dip the apple and then flip it over and twirl it around so it starts to drip down towards the top of the apple. Just be careful to not get any on your hand; you’ll probably swear. And if it gets on your hand, DO NOT LICK IT. You’ll definitely swear that time, plus you’ll be burned twice and you won’t be able to taste your delicious apples.

6. Working in the order that you dipped the apples, quickly roll apples in desired toppings. If the caramel is really starting to cool, you may need to really press the toppings into the caramel.

7. If desired, dip a fork in melted chocolate or white chocolate and fling it over the apples.

8. When cool and stable, store apples in refrigerator until chocolate is hardened. These will be fine for about 2 days, but after that, some moisture will creep underneath the caramel and it will start to slip away from the apple.

These are huge and messy to eat whole (and actually too much for me), so I like to cut them into slices to share. These also make awesome gifts; spray the inside of a cellophane treat bag (also available near cake decorating supplies) with non-stick cooking spray and place a hardened apple inside the bag. Tie with a cute bow and take it to whomever you really need to suck up to… :)

So spill it…do you like caramel or candy apples? What other ideas do you have for toppings? Who’s making these for Halloween this year?

Brooke says:

I am hoping to make these. I love caramel apples. LOVE the idea of the unwrapped caramels. I wonder why no one has thought of this sooner.

jenimur says:

I LOVE caramel apples. I go to the fair each year and HAVE to have one. I go the outlet mall and Rocky Mountain Chocolate is the FIRST place I go! And I eat the entire apple MYSELF!!!!!

Yum!
    I’m making these.

Angie says:

Oh my!

Erika and Ryan says:

Oh ya!

Hannah says:

I made these last year for Halloween and everyone that had them LOVED them!!! It’s so nice that they are easy to do, look so great, and taste amazing!

Sara says:

Oh Kate, those look AmAzInG! Love those pictures. Williams-Sonoma sells those babies for $22.50 and yours look better.

We’ve made them a lot the past couple of weeks and I’ve found I love them dipped in caramel and then into dark chocolate- so it completely covers the caramel. I like the Butterfinger too- my friend Dawn brought me one like last a few weeks ago and it was so yummy!

Nurse Heidi says:

Nummy! I made these as neighbor Christmas gifts one year. The first three batches were fun. By the sixth batch I was really sick of cleaning out the caramel pan…

I’ve dipped the whole bottom in either white or dark chocolate. White chocolate bottom is good with a dipping of cinnamon sugar as well.

Patti says:

I gave my neighbor a gift for her new baby girl, and with her thank you note gave me a Rocky Mountain caramel apple. I’d never had one before and had no idea they cost $8! It was tasty, but these look just as good!

tren says:

I love, love, love caramel apples, so much so that I have actually shelled out the bucks for them at the RMCFactory. We made some plain old caramel apples without the additional toppings last night for family night, and I’m diabetic, but I ate one anyway!

Meagan says:

I just bought everything for them! I love to make the apple pie flavor (from Rocky Mountain). Caramel, white chocolate, and then rolled in cinnamon & sugar. DECICIOUS!

Lisa-Lou-Who says:

YUM! And yeah, why did it take the caramel people 100 years to finally make unwrapped caramel?

Amanda says:

Ooo! Those look great. Thanks, Kate!

D.I.M. Incorporated says:

Oh my goodness Kate! These are evil! I can’t wait to try them!

Lindsay says:

Oooh I love caramel apples! What a great idea to do treat week for Halloween! I’m doing a pumpkin month on my blog, yall will have to check it out- http://www.apronadventures.blogspot.com.

Jonathan says:

I love caramel apples! My mom makes them every year. This year, she dipped mine in a reese’s peanut butter cup–it was yummy!!
    ~jen

Hayley says:

Okay so a few people have already said that caramel apples dipped in white chocolate and then in cinnamon and sugar is delicious, but what is even better is to roll it in graham cracker crumbs and cinnamon. The RMCF calls it an apple pie apple. Its too good to be true and so easy to make at home!

Alisha says:

I didn't think the caramel made from caramel bits was nearly as good as homemade caramel. Easier, yes, but for me, a caramel apple is all about the caramel. (and chocolate)

Shirley says:

Oh my goodness these look awesome and what taste good on my lips are definately going straight to my hips! But they look so good can't wait to try them! Thanks!

Stephanie says:

I have seen recipes where they melt the caramels with water or oil, etc to change the thickness. What do you think about this? Is plain caramel pretty easy to dip and to dip a thin layer?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Stephanie–I'm thinking on the package of caramels, it tells you to mix them with a little bit of water. If it works, I'm definitely all for it! :)

Christina says:

I am SOOO going to make these!! :) They look A-MAZING!!!

Cammie says:

I made these last year for Christmas, and they were so amazing-looking. HOWEVER, a word of warning. I stuck them in the freezer to speed up the stiffening/hardening process. Unbeknownst to me, the insides became completely mushy and gross as a result of freezing and thawing. That hadn't even occurred to me (it may be completely obvious to you all). Just avoid the freezer, and you're in good shape!

McKinna says:

I LOVE LOVE caramel apples…
    I'm making them for my Bunco group this week, & & SOOOO doing the 'rollin in candy thing.' How much better can a caramel apple get?! YUUUUUM!

Melanie says:

YUM! These look delicious!! I am one that walks past the $8 apples because I am too cheap, I guess! I definitely want to try to make these. The last time I tried (regular caramel apples) I could only get a very thin layer of the caramel to stay on the apple and the rest all melted down onto the waxed paper. This is why I haven't tried since. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Maureen says:

Your caramel may have been too hot. The caramel temperature should be about 275F on a candy thermometer. I also dip my apples all the way up to the stick. Hope that helps!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Melanie, you're going to think I'm super weird here, but you might want to try roughing up the skin of the apple a little with some sand paper. Not enough to get juice out, but sometimes the skins are so smooth and waxy that the caramel slides right off.

Hope that helps! :)

Loni says:

I wish I had read the comments 20 minutes ago! I just made these, and while I’m sure no one is going to complain about eating them, most of the caramel and toppings slid right off. After it cooled a bit, I pushed them back on, but they won’t be as pretty. I was wondering if I should have cut down the amount of water the package calls for or wait until the caramel cools a bit before putting the toppings on. But sandpaper, that really is a bit of genius! I’ll definitely try that out next time around!

• Andrea says:

I don’t know if this helps, but somewhere I read to literally wash the apples in order to get the wax off. I dunked mine in clean dishwater and used a vegetable scrub brush. I rinsed them thoroughly. I haven’t eaten one yet (just finished them) but hopefully they don’t taste like dish soap! Ha! I had no trouble with the caramel sticking.

The Falco's says:

I love caramel chocolate covered apples- but i make mine a bit differently. I dip them in the caramel and then put them in the fridge for a few hours. when they are firm i then dip them in melted milk chocolate & THEN i dip in crushed skor/sprinkle it on top. then i refridgerate them a second time. they are deadly! oh and i've had bad experiences with wax paper- i ALWAYS use parchment that is sprayed! :) i love your recipes btw! :)

Tristen says:

You ladies are fabulous! My mom got me your cookbook and I have been obsessed. I am constantly trying new recipes from it, I love simple and delicious recipes. Keep them coming! Love the pictures, LOVE the writing, I was in stitches reading this post about burning yourself on the hot caramel. Too funny. Thanks for all the hard work you put into this blog, it’s fantastic. Can’t believe I didn’t know about the blog until today.

I think I gained weight just reading the recipe!!! Might as well go ahead and make these now. They look de-lish!!! What a great blog you both have here. I love it! Thanks!!

Andrea says:

I’m def making these! I made them last year but my caramel puddled off, I’ll try a different type of caramel this year and I love the tip of spraying the cello bags! Thanks for the advice!

Erika Sullivan says:

The best are the Apple Pie caramel apples like at Rocky Mountain Chocoate Factory. Dip in caramel, let harden, then dip or drizzle white chocolate or white almond bark on top, and sprinkle cinnamon-sugar all over the apple. Yum!!!

Andrea says:

The Apple Pie ones are my favorite! I made some tonight and rolled the apples in the white chocolate then right into the cinnamon sugar bowl (after the initial caramel layer hardened). I don’t see how you could have too much cinnamon-sugar but I hope I didn’t get to thick a layer by rolling vs. sprinkling on the topping.

Erin W. says:

I was just thinking the other night how much fun this would be for a date night!..get lots of yummy toppings and go to town!… can’t wait to try it!

Angela L says:

I made these for a baby shower favor and drizzled them with pink candy melts and blue candy melts along with chocolate. This was for a twins shower with one of each. :)

Yumm!! I took a class recently on making Wowwy caramel apples (Orson Gygi). So much fun!! Some of their recommended tips: Definitely use parchment paper. Caramel temperature… and chocolate temperatures are to be monitored – don’t want too hot or too cold.
    If planning to do caramel AND chocolate on your apple, dip caramel and scrape off excess (or spoon on, as was demonstrated in class), set apples in frig. Oonce “set” you can shape the “dripped down” caramel nicely along the bottom of the apple. Take this finished apple, dip in chocolate, then twirl around to spin off excess – then can roll in small toppings if desired. If want to roll in heavier toppings – let chocolate layer “almost” set up in the frig first – then dip into heavier toppings. Tips on tempering the chocolate were also taught… but that is a whole other topic!! If doing just a caramel coating but want to roll in a topping – work quickly so that toppings will stick to the caramel – then set in frig to set up.

Mikala says:

These look amazing! I printed out the recipe, and I plan on trying to make them for Christmas this year. Everyone in my family makes either food for supper or dessert, and I never know what to do. Thanks! (:

Melissa says:

I’m making these for my daughters 3rd birthday party and there going to be her Thank You gifts.

Jane says:

Got your cookbook and bought one for a friend. I too am obsessed and ready for the 2nd one. One thing I appreciate is you two explaining simple procedures that I have always wondered how to do and I DEFINITELY appreciate your sense of humor- we all think it but aren’t brave enough to say it out loud!

Simply.food says:

I love these reminds me of bonfire night. Please do share this awesome recipe with my event I am hosting C.E.D.D Apples @ simply.food.

Brenda says:

I’m not a huge fan of caramel apples, but I love LOVE reading these posts! Thanks for all the giggles!