A few weeks ago when we did our Q and A post there were a few overwhelming requests via comments and email. Specifically we had tons of requests for Soups, low-budget meals, quick and easy meals, and low-cal options. This one gets 4 for 4! And actually, the other big request was slow-cooker meals, and you could totally put this in a crock pot so I’ll give myself 5 points for this one.

I have a soup that I love that’s made with Italian turkey sausage, fresh herbs, fresh tomatoes, etc. A few weeks ago when I was craving it, but out of ingredients, I decided it was a good time to give it a make-under to see if I could come up with something equally delish, but less expensive, quicker, and a little healthier. Instead of turkey sausage, I just used ground turkey and seasoned it. Ground turkey is super lean and you can buy it in bulk and freeze for lots of budget friendly meals. Using dried herbs and canned tomatoes make it so fast to put together. You can literally have it done in 20 minutes start to finish. The finished soup also freezes well.

Now the really funny thing about this soup. Kate noticed the title of it on the schedule we share and asked what I had put in it because she had made an Italian Turkey soup on that same night. As we both spouted out our methods, we laughed realizing we had come up with the exact same thing! We really do share a brain, lol.

Kate says:

Yum! This was seriously so good–like really, really good minestrone. In addition to the other spices, I mixed the turkey with Italian sausage seasoning from http://www.penzeys.com and I used 2 cans of drained chickpeas (garbanzo beans), but yeah, pretty much the same recipe!!

Allison Scott says:

MMMM, I was just trying to decide what kind of soup I was going to make today, and now that I’ve seen this, I think I’ll try it. Thanks!

Eric says:

perfect soup day…cold and raining. this is great stuff.

Tricia says:

If I didn’t feel so sick, this would be a perfect meal for this rainy day!! Maybe tomorrow. . .

Britanie says:

I love that I have everything I need in my pantry to make this, thank you!

Stephanie says:

Mmm, this sounds so yummy! This will be right up there with Kate’s Tortellini Soup (one of my all time favorites). I will definitely make this as soon as my kids get over the flu bug. Thanks!

Yum! We loved the chipotle chili, by the way (Nate calls it Chipotle Mole’ because of the chocolate). This soup looks like it will be a hit too.

Mmmmm fresh parmesan. . .

Dawn says:

Ohh, that looks delicious. I’m trying it out this week.

just1morebite says:

I recently learned about your site from Leigh Anne at http://www.yourhomebasedmom.com. This was the first recipe my husband and I tried from your site, and we loved it. We’ll definitely be making it again soon and trying some of your other recipes. Thanks!

jjcrew says:

Hey Sara,
    I liked this soup so much I put a post on my blog about it :) Loved the white chicken chili too. Haven’t tried the chipotle chili yet. But am intrigued. Thanks for sharing.
    ~Jenn

Leah says:

I made this a few nights ago and my husband loved it. Thanks for a cheaper version of a traditional soup!

Ted says:

So delish! I also add peas for extra greens. Yum!

Briana says:

This looks amazing! It is on my menu for the week…can’t wait to try it!

Allissa says:

I know that this is probably written somewhere, but how many does this recipe serve? I’m looking to feed 7 people, so I’m just wondering if I should double the recipe.

Lindsey says:

How long and at what temp should I do in the crockpot? Thank you, love the site :)

Heidi says:

I can’t believe this only has 16 comments; Maybe because it is from so long ago. This soup is wonderful!!! I have made this a couple of times and have really enjoyed it. Today I made it with kale instead of spinach. Superb!

Wendy F. says:

We love this soup, it has a permanent spot in the fall/winter dinner rotations (or on cold rainy May days like today). Thanks for the great recipe!

Veronica says:

This was soo good! Even my husband liked it and he doesnt really care for soup. Thank you so much for all your great recipes. They make my life easier!

Leah Jespersen says:

We made this for a ladies stamping retreat in the mountains. It was wonderful. Everyone loved it. It is one of my fav’s. Oh yum.

Sue says:

this soup is really good. Very low fat and favorful. thanks so much

Ann Marie Fraser says:

I noticed this recipe was in a bunch from freezer meals. At what point would you put this in the freezer?

T.J. says:

I cooked the entire recipe from start-to-finish, then threw it in a freezer bag. I’ve had some since then and it was delicious. Months later, I’m making my second batch as we speak.

I mostly never comment on recipes but I need to with this one. It’s so simple. But most importantly so DELICIOUS! It took me bynsurpri

Winn says:

This can be rather variable in the crockpot–I’d most likely undertake it regarding 8 a long time on low or perhaps 4-6 on high. Thanks :)

Joanne says:

Cold rainy June day! It’s a soup day. I used hamburger since I didn’t have any ground turkey and was yummy!! Thanks:-)

These look fantastic and I would love to make them, but I don’t own a stand mixer! How would you suggest going about this by hand or with a hand mixer?