So the first year my husband and I were married, my sister-in-law Stephanie gave us a little box of homemade Christmas candy and I loved it. I also realized that I was suddenly in the realm of Christmas treat-giving. How grown-up.

Anyway, inspired by Stephanie (who makes awesome toffee, by the way. And check out her cakes), the next year I decided to make Christmas treats for our friends and family. In fact, I think Stephanie and I made them together while our husbands bought toilet paper together at Costco. No joke. However, as I was packaging the treats up, I realized that I was a few treats short and I really didn’t want another toffee fiasco (don’t ask). So I made this instead, modifying it from 2 large loaves to 5 mini loaves. It quickly became a family favorite and a staple in Christmas treat-giving.

Funny story, and then we’ll get cooking. A few years ago, I made a bunch of these for some people who helped me with a project. After I baked them, they just didn’t seem quite right, but I still delivered them. And never heard the usual “oohs” and “aaahs” that I get from this bread. So I took a bite and something was seriously wrong. And then I remembered that I forgot the oil. So don’t forget the oil, but if you do, don’t feel stupid because I did, too… :)

Almond Poppyseed Bread

GLAZE

3/4 c. white granulated sugar
1/4 c. orange juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. butter flavoring
1/2 tsp. almond flavoring

Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, oil, sugar, and flavorings and beat for 2 minutes. Alternate adding in flour mixture and milk and then mix until just combined. Add poppyseeds and mix until just combined. Pour into prepared pans (5 mini pans or 2 regular loaf pans) and bake (35-40 minutes for mini pans, 1 hour for large pans; keep an eye on them). When done, place on a cooling rack for 10 minutes

and then remove from pans and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack. While cooling, prepare glaze by combining all glaze ingredients. Drizzle over loaves and allow to harden.

I like to place these in cellophane goody bags (found in the cake decorating section of Walmart or a craft store like Michael’s) and tie with a ribbon

If possible, try not to package these in cellophane until ready to deliver because after awhile, the moisture will condense in the bag and the glorious sugary crust on the bread will liquify and soak into the bread. Which, don’t get me wrong, tastes great, but the slightly-crispy texture on top of the soft bread may just be the best part.

jenimur says:

Oh you gals never fail! Another new treat to try and share! Thanks!

Stephanie says:

First, I have to say, you read my mind. I was just getting on here to be inspired by something I can take to the school bake sale and THIS is perfect!
    Second, thanks for the “shout-out”. I feel special that my name is out there in the universe! LOL! It’s funny because Jenny always remembers funny details too! I vaguely remember making candy with you, but not the husbands-shopping-at-Costco part. Ahh, good times. Anyway, thanks for the recipe! I can’t wait to make these!

Sara says:

I LOVE almond poppy seed bread. My Mom is famous for it, she’s been giving it away at Christmas time for as long as I can remember, so this always reminds me of her. Yum yum yum.

Cami says:

I’m not a huge fan of almond flavoring. Can you substitute lemon juice or extract instead?

Sara says:

Haha Sara, I was thinking the same thing. This is another one of those holiday treats that reminds me of mom and happy Christmases!

becca says:

Oops, that was me.. Sara is not talking to herself ;)

becca says:

Oh and Cami- I can’t believe you… who doesn’t LOVE almond flavored stuff?!

Kate says:

Cami–Yeah, you could probably use lemon flavoring instead. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes! :)

MissouriMormonMama says:

Yummy! I’m giving folks canned blackberry jam and apple pie filling for Christmas, but may just have to throw these in for variety! Thanks!

Michelle says:

Thanks for offering suggestions for Christmas gifts that won’t break my budget!

Erin says:

I’m so hungry. How did you know bread is my weakness?

Amber says:

OK, another “must try” recipe….. I wonder how it would be made into mini muffins. I’m always trying to make things into mini muffins for my kids to grab and go. I wonder if the top would get crusty like it does on the loaves….

hot garlic says:

It IS a small world -besides all of the mutual friends, we must own the same ward cookbook too! A lady in our ward was ‘famous’ for making this bread so we always had it growing up. It was the second recipe I posted on my blog when I started it, it is SO good!

jjcrew says:

Omygosh, that post was worth it just to read the story about the bread without oil. TOO funny!

The Wilkes Week says:

I love almond and poppy seeds so I know I am going to ADORE this bread – can’t wait to try it.

Mary Kelly says:

Can you use this recipe to make muffins instead of loafs of bread?

Leah says:

The Almond Poppy Seed Bread, was amazing as to be expected. I only had four pans so I just made the extras into muffins, which my husband LOVED!

Shaun and Sherry says:

Did I miss somewhere what temperature to cook them at? I am already to put them in the oven.

Sara says:

oops, I’m pretty sure it’s 350!

Do that, and Kate will come add that little detail in soon!

melissa says:

This is an amazing recipe. It is the same as I have, except we pour our batter into a bundt pan, bake for 1 hr, turn it out, and put the glaze on top and slice it up~it’s beautiful! I won a blue ribbon at the fair with it. oooohhh, I want to make it now! :)

Panter Family says:

So totally a beginner at cooking/baking! Is vanilla extract the same as vanilla flavoring, or are they totally different? This sounds so good, I need to make it soon! :)

Panter, use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor. Vanilla *flavoring* is an imitation product so the flavor won't be as good.

Teresa says:

Made this for dessert tonight. Instead of mini loaves I made one large bundt cake, cooked it at 350 for 50 minutes. Yum.

Katrina says:

um . . . shouldn't that be confectioner's sugar and not granulated? i wasn't paying attention to the fact that i was making a glaze and just followed the recipe – granulated sugar does not a glaze make! (other than that – this tastes awesome! especially the day after Ü)

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Katrina–I've always used granulated sugar. It makes it nice and crunchy on top. :) If you stir it long enough, the sugar will dissolve, but you could probably do it with powdered sugar, too. :)

Ya Katrina- powdered sugar works too if you want a nice smooth glaze, that's actually what I do with mine!

Ellie says:

My mom gave me your cookbook for Mother’s Day and I found this recipe this afternoon and made it into muffins for my kids’ after school snack. Even healthified (wheat flour, oil substitute, no glaze — does that sound horrible?) they were a huge hit! I am loving the cookbook.

Alicia says:

So good and moist! I made these the other day and two people asked for the recipe!

Brittany says:

would making these without butter extract be a BIG no no? dont have any but wanted to make this afternoon?!

Brittany, it’s just fine without the butter extract. In fact my personal recipe is almost identical to this, but I don’t use butter extract in it at all, so make it!

Kelly says:

I just made this early this morning but I made them into muffins for breakfast! They go perfect with your ham and egg cups! But what I just noticed is that the butter flavoring isn’t in the cookbook for this recipe. Is that right? Does it make a big difference in the flavor?

Rebecca says:

If I don’t have butter flavor, can I use something else?

Della says:

Great recipe. Came out perfect as if you bought it at the bakery. Love this website and it is so cool that you are willing to share what you have learned and created. Thanks

Annie says:

This bread is amazing!! I made mini loaves along with pretzel turtles and homemade marshmallows for my husband to give to his professors/fellow grad students. We’ve gotten so many compliments! Oh, and for what it’s worth, this recipe made 6 mini loaves for me.

Mandy says:

Question for you smart ladies, can I use vegetable oil in place of canola oil? I never have canola oil…. what in the world is the difference, does it bake or taste different? Thanks, can’t wait to make these!! Mmmmmmmmmm!!

Jervae says:

Love this recipe and have made it for years…however I inject some of the glaze right into the bread as well….so yummy!

Mandy, canola oil is a lighter oil than vegetable oil and a healthier fat. You can use vegetable oil instead, but I suggest switching to canola oil in all your cooking and baking when you finish your bottle of vegetable oil. Canola oil is healthier and I think it tastes better because it isn’t as heavy.

Diane Dutson says:

Hey, I don’t know if you care or not, but I learned a trick on how to get the sides of quick breads to bake down instead of curling up. So I spray my pans with cooking spray, then flour them. I knock out the extra flour and then with a paper towel I wipe out the top half of the flour/grease. So basically just the bottom and an inch or so up the sides of the pan are greased and floured. It works really well, but takes a littel bit of extra time. If I don’t have time I don’t worry about it, but I like doing it if I’m giving them away. I love this recipe. Mine is a bit different, but very close to this one. I just made it this week and for the first time I was disappointed in it (besides the time I use part applesauce instead of oil–FYI that does not work with this bread :). It was much dryer than usual. I’m pretty sure it’s because I cut the oil down a little bit. I swear I’ve done that before and it still turned out perfectly moist, but it didn’t work so well this time. Lesson learned!

Lisa says:

Hi, I bought some ceramic mini loaf pans which are decorated for Christmas … going to give them as teacher’s gifts, etc. Do you think after I bake these that I can leave them in the ceramic pans that they are baked in, or do they need to be turned out to cool properly? Thanks!

Audra says:

AMAZING!!!

Amy says:

I just made this bread (let’s get honest…this is cake). I brought it over to my parents house to share and my little bro. tried a piece and told me that all he wanted for Christmas from me is more of this cake. lol – it really is just that good!

KatieJ says:

Thanks for this amazing recipe! I made mini loaves for all our friends and neighbors for Christmas this year and they were a hit! I learned after a few batches to go really easy on the non-stick spray to keep them from getting all crazy on top when they bake. I got tons of compliments and had to make an extra batch because we couldn’t stop eating them too!

Kristin Young says:

This is my absolute favorite recipe on your whole page.

Valerie says:

What are your thoughts on using buttermilk instead of milk?

Cindy says:

This bread is amazing! Everyone I have given it too has raved about it as well. Thanks for sharing such a delicious recipe.

Barbara says:

Made this tonight. Everyone loved it! Seriously, both loaves were gone in less than 20 minutes. Thanks for sharing.

Stephanie says:

I agree. . the slightly-crispy texture on top IS the best part. . YUM!!

Fran says:

I’m a novice here, but this is really enticing me. What if I want to make one loaf; how would i split 3 eggs and 1-1/2 c and tsp of ingredients. Many of your recipes yield more than i need! Thanks, in advance, for the help

Meg C. says:

This sweet bread is soooooo good! I have made this recipe many, many times and everyone just loves it. I always double it and it freezes great with the glaze on it too!Thank you for a awesome recipe, it is super easy, moist and very tasty, and freezes great!

keri says:

For some reason my bread is always super dark on the sides, but perfect on the top. Any suggestions? It still tastes great, but I wish it looked a little better.
    Thanks

Sandi says:

A great place to get Butter extract is Olive Nation, but be warned, their site is like a candy store for bakers. So many REAL extracts in flavors you thought you’d never see. I found it looking for Butter Extract for this very recipe last fall. Their prices are very reasonable, shipping is quick and Customer Service is AH-mazing.

Oh and I upped the poppy seeds to 2 Tbsp. It’s my most popular holiday gift.