It seems like everyone has their own go-to appetizers for potluck type parties. If you don’t have a good hot dip on your list then you definitely need one. I have a few. I like this one because it’s different than the standard spinach-artichoke dip that a lot of people bring, yet is has the same warm, gooey, cheesy appeal. You can make it with regular monterey Jack too, but I love the flavor you get from pepper jack cheese. It’s not spicy at all, it just adds an extra kick. And you all know how much I love roasted red peppers. If you’ve never bought them before they’re usually found in the same section as the jarred pickles, often on the top shelf. Or you can easily make your own with these instructions. They are smoky and flavorful and full of little charred bits that add extra yumminess. And yes, there’s cheese. A lot of cheese. And mayonnaise. And cream cheese. But who counts calories on New Year’s eve?! Go dunk some carbs and enjoy yourselves. It’s probably the last chance you have before that diet you promised yourself you’d start on Jan 1st!

Grocery list:
dijon, roasted red peppers, pepper jack, cream cheese, mayo, onion & garlic

Cheesy Roasted Red Pepper Dip

7oz jar roasted red peppers (about 1C diced) buy ‘em or make ‘em.4 C grated pepper jack cheese (3/4 lb)
8oz cream cheese (I use low-fat)
3/4 C mayonnaise

2 T minced onion
3 cloves garlic, minced

1 T Dijon mustard

Preheat oven to 350.Remove peppers from jar and blot excess water with paper towels. You want to make sure they are dry so they don’t add moisture to the dip. Then dice ‘em up.

In a bowl, soften cream cheese in microwave so it will be easier to stir. Add in mayo, onion, garlic, and dijon. Stir to combine and then add in grated cheese and the diced peppers. Place in an 8×8-ish dish (pie plate works). At this point you can pop it in the fridge if you’re going to cook it later and you can even make it a couple of days ahead of time. Place in the oven and cook for 30-45 minutes. Baking time depends on the dish. It will start to bubble and brown on the outside edge, and you want it to be bubbly all the way through to the center. It will be nice and golden brown on top, especially around the edges. Mine usually takes 40-45 min..

Serve immediately. If the dip is done and your party hasn’t started, just keep it warm in the oven. If you’re eating left-overs, or you cooked it ahead of time, reheat in the oven as well. Funky things happen in the microwave. Don’t ask me what, I’m sure Alton Brown could explain it, but I’m no food scientist.
You can serve it with anything that sounds good- tortilla chips, pita chips, crackers (choose a plain flavored one) or veggies. However my favorite is soft, warm baguette slices. There’s something about toasty, chewy bread with gooey garlicky cheese that just makes me happy. (I’m sure a psychotherapist somewhere is making a lot of connections with that one…)

Hope everyone has fun tonight ringing in the new year. Remember to eat lots and drink responsibly!

Amy S. says:

Despite how much you guys like comments, I don’t know that I’ve ever left one before. I just have to say, YUMM-O! If I can come up with the ingredients today (my current situation can make it hard) I am totally making this for tonight. My husband would love it!

I love this blog. It’s the only cooking one I read regularly. You guys are awesome. Thanks!

Britanie says:

This sounds delicious and I’ll be adding it to tonight’s spread! I would love the recipe for your artichoke dip I had a few weeks ago, hopefully you plan on sharing that too.

Sara says:

Brit I do have a great recipe for that spinach artichoke dip you had at my house. Here it is:

1. Get in your car
    2. Drive to Costco
    3. Can you see where this is going? lol.

I do however make one too (when I’m not so lazy!) I’ll definitely post it on here some time.

Bunny says:

My husband would love this, The pictures are wonderful!

The Food Hunter says:

Sounds delicious. thanks for sharing.

Lisa-Lou-Who says:

Sara, can I come over to your house and eat some of that so I don’t have to make it myself? I love hot dips. Y.U.MMMMMMMM.

The Wilkes Week says:

I just finished up all the soup for our annual Soup’s On New Year’s Eve Party and just read your post. I’m now going to the store AGAIN to get the ingredients I need to make this for tonight’s party – I know I am going to LOVE this and so will everyone else at my party tonight!!

Alisa says:

OH.MY!!!! I just made this and it is soooooo yummy. I am sitting here waiting for our guests and i just don’t know if i can leave any for them…it’s that good.

J.Danger says:

This looks delicious!

Happy New Year!

Stephanie B says:

I will definitely try this one out!

Eric says:

This is the best stuff ever! Highly addctive is the only problem.

Angela says:

when I try to click on tabs on your blog like recipe index it says that this blog is private and open to invited readers only. If this is true now can I please be invited. It won’t let me look up how to email you either?

Sara says:

Angela, don’t worry it’s not private, you just happen to be on while we’re in the middle of converting to our new site! Be patient and check back in the morning, it will all be working by then!

Kate says:

I made this for the grownups at Clark’s birthday party last night and it was SO GOOD! It’s officially my new favorite dip!

Domestic Diva says:

Okay so I made this for our book club last night and it was a huge hit! It was such a welcome change from my usual hot dips and the flavor was amazing – can't wait to eat the leftovers tonight :)

Katie says:

anyone have a suggestion for a substitute for the pepper jack cheese?

I'm an American living in South Africa, and that's ones of thing that is hard to find…we have cheddar, mozzarella…would either of those work?

Emily, I know what you mean, but I haven't had that problem with this particular dip. Maybe you had an extra fatty cheese? I would try cutting the mayo down just a bit and maybe trying a different brand of cheese. If it happens again maybe just stir it up before serving.

Kim says:

I made this for my husband's annual family Christmas Mexican food party and it was a hit. My brother-in-law had been whining about how there is never any good food there and later told my husband that that dip was the only thing on his plate that he had liked. He didn't know I had made it until my husband told him.

Thanks for yet another great recipe (and instructions on how to roast the peppers, my small town grocery store didn't have the jar!)

penthoughts says:

I made this for my family's Christmas Party and it was gone in 5 minutes! Some people didn't even get to try some. I will be making a double batch for New Years Eve!

Mama Durf says:

Can't wait to try this! If I had all the ingredients I would make it right now!!

Rebekah says:

I have made this dip 3 times now, and I absolutely love, love, love it!! Thank you for bringing such a delightful dish into my life:)

Erika says:

I want to make this so bad, but I despise Mayo. Normally with anything that uses mayo we substitute cream cheese, but you already have that in here. What should I use to sub for mayo in this? I haven't tasted it so I don't know!

Erika, honestly there's not a great substitution. You could try increasing the sour cream, but it definitely wouldn't turn out the same. It doesn't make it taste like mayo at all if that's any help!

Brooke says:

Ok, you said in reply to the mayo comment “you could try increasing the sour cream” but I don’t see sour cream in this recipe? Is this a typo? I’m so scared I’m going to mess this up, I’m not a “from the internet” cook usually! I had this at a party and loved it!

Stephanie says:

I'm planning on making this for a birthday party next weekend, but wonder if I could just cook it in my mini crockpot instead of a baking dish in the oven. That way I can save some space on the table & keep it warm. Since you've made it before – obviously – what do you think? Thanks for this & all your other delisious recipes!

Stephanie- hmm…I've never done it in a crock pot before. I'm wondering if having it on low would heat it all the way through enough to really cook it well and thinking that high might scorch the bottom. You'd also miss the nice crust on the top, but it might work. I'm really not sure- I'd have to say that you'll just have to experiment!

Jessica says:

I've made 3 things from Our Best Bites (including this) in the last week and one of my friend (who was at all events) said: "jessica, everything you've made this week has been amazing". Thanks Sara and Kate!

I'm trying the cheesy roll things tonight, so I'll have to invite that friend over, so I can be 4 for 4

Haha Jessica- I love that! Go for 4! lol

CrAzY JaY says:

So, I put this together and could have eaten it all COLD pretty much before it hit the oven. YUMMY! After it was hot and bubbly, it was a little too spicy. Now I don't know if I had some extra spicy PJ cheese, or if this is par for the course, but I am wondering what might happen next time if I substitute half of the PJ cheese with plain old monteray jack? Thoughts?

crazy jay- ya, I'd guess it was your cheese. Some brands tend to be spicy and others aren't spicy at all. I've experienced that too. You could definitely substitute monterey jack, that would work great!

CrAzY JaY says:

Thanks, Sara! This is one more reason OBB is the best! You respond!!!!! Do you have any suggestions for a milder brand of PJ cheese?

Jaime says:

I'm looking for a recipe for stuffed bell peppers. Would this work? I know this is a ridiculous question, but I was looking for something that would work in orange bell peppers for a Halloween type food.

Thanks! You're blog is ah-mazing. I'm living in a dorm at the moment, and I frequently just read it and dream of the different things that I can do with your recipes

THANKS!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Hey, Jaime! You know, I'm not sure this would work for stuffed bell peppers, although I bet it would be awesome for stuffed mushroom caps!

I've been meaning to use the filling in these meat pies:

/natchitoches-meat-pies-and-giveaway.html

for stuffed bell peppers, only adding in some rice. In fact, I think I'll try it this weekend and let you know how it goes, but if you get to it before I do, let me know! :)

Rebecca says:

This weekend I made this dip for the first time. I just finished it off, and now I want to make some more.

My goodness, it is delicious. I also made the chocolate crunch mousse cake and it was a huge hit!

Kelli says:

I made this for my husband and now I am constantly getting requests for it. He loves it! It is so delicious. :)

Cassie says:

I love this recipe! I tried it this weekend and it was a hit! I just started a blog about all of my favorite food blogs and I talked about you today! I don’t have much traffic yet and I am not set up completely but please come check me out! Can’t wait to talk about your great recipes in the future!! Cassie

Eileen says:

I made this dip for three different Christmas parties; and at each one I received such praise for it! Needless to say, this dip is entering my Rolodex of go-to appetizers. Its so delicious and so easy! I cant wait to try more of your recipes!

Walt says:

Made it for a football potluck a couple weeks ago and it disappeared in about 10 minutes! I have already received multiple requests to bring it to the Super Bowl Party. This is wonderful, thank you!

Dano says:

My friend made this for superbowl, I could hardly wait to come home and print the recipe for my recipe book. It was AMAZING!

Jamie Marshall says:

Could I make this in the crock pot? I’m having a party for 40+ and would like it to stay warm through the evening… Any other suggestions for dips in the crock pot?

[...] taking a few steps:We celebrated Zach’s birthday a day early with sandwiches, Zach’s favorite roasted red pepper cheese dip, pumpkin pie, and a chocolate fountain:Aunt Heidi and Ila:Grandpa and Ila:Homeward bound.  [...]

[...] Cheesy Roasted Red Pepper Dip from Our Best Bites. [...]

[…] Roasted Red Pepper Dip (Our Best Bites) […]

Amanda says:

This dip is insane with Ritz crackers.

[…] A similar recipe, from Our Best Bites. […]

Heather says:

Anyone tried replacing the mayo with sour cream? Did it/ would it work?

[…] Cheesy Roasted Red Pepper Dip […]