I consider myself to be a pretty good artist. My education and profession (okay, back when I had one) is in the design field and I’m pretty good at the crafty stuff. I also think I’m a decent cook, so I figured with those two things going for me, decorating fancy sugar cookies would be right up my alley. Imagine my surprise (not to mention shattered ego and broken self confidence) when I attempted to play around with royal icing for the first time and my little masterpieces looked like something in a 1st grader’s art pile. They sucked. Big time.  So I gave up on ever decorating fancy-schmancy cookies again.

That was until I met this style of icing. Now my confidence is back in tact because my first batch turned out beautifully! It’s super forgiving, easy to use, and it actually tastes good! The benefit of using an icing like this is that it dries to a solid sheen, making the cookies stackable and packable- perfect for giving. With a soft, fluffy buttercream, there’s just no easy way to give them away so you have to eat them all yourself (which may be the plan, right??) Let’s get to it. Lots of pictures to post on this one!

I love a little ingredient list!
light corn syrup, extract, whole milk, powdered sugar

Glacé Icing

1lb powdered sugar (about 3 3/4 C)
6T whole milk (low-fat actually works, but use whole if you can)
6T light Corn Syrup (6T is equal to 1/4 C plus another 2 T)
1 t extract (I use almond because I use almond in my sugar cookies)

With a whisk, combine sugar and milk until smooth (no lumps!) Then stir in corn syrup and extract.

You will use this same recipe for both glazing and piping. The way it is right now is the consistency you want for glazing. It’s smooth and thin, like in the picture below. It easily runs off the whisk in a pretty thin drizzle.

To prepare the icing for piping, you just add more powdered sugar. Just eyeball it. You can’t really mess it up because if it’s too thick you just add more milk and if it’s to thin, you add more powdered sugar. I add it in small amounts until it’s a good consistency. For me, it’s when it gets to a point where it’s relatively hard to whisk it by hand. When I pick up the whisk, it still runs off, but in a very slow, thick stream now, like this:

Take your glazing icing and separate it into bowls if you want to color it. I decided to do red (more pink, but I love it!), green, and blue. And I left my piping icing white. Use gel food coloring (you can find it at craft or cooking stores) for more intense colors.

There are a few ways to use icing like this. One way is to just glaze the cookie and leave it like that. I’m going to glaze it and then pipe a decoration on top. So the first step is to glaze. Take a small spoon and drop a spoonful of glaze onto a cookie. (Do one at a time, I’m just doing 3 for picture-taking-fun)

Then take a small spoon (baby spoons work great) and gently spread it out to the edges of the cookie. If you want the cookie completely covered, you could just hold it by the bottom and dip it in, then place it over a rack to let the excess drip off.

You need to wait for the icing to set before you pipe on top of it. It doesn’t have to be completely dry, but just set on top. An hour or two will probably be enough, but it depends on humidity and everything, so just barely touch the top and don’t smash the glaze because it will probably still be soft underneath. If it’s dry to the touch you can go ahead and decorate.

With your piping icing (the thicker stuff) in a pastry bag (I just used a plain, round tip), just draw on your design. I started doing little snowflakes and pretty much fell in love with them. These little cuties are about an inch and a half in diameter. How adorable are they??I just get happy every time I look at this picture.

The next method is to do do the piping first, and then fill in with the glaze. So for these shapes below, I just took my pastry bag and piped the white icing around the edges.

Great Tip: when you do dots, or when you start or finish a line, you may get a little peak of icing. If you try to smash it down, it will stick to your fingers and then you’ll make a big mess and maybe say a naughty word. Just get your finger wet and gently press down. It won’t stick and all of your problems will be solved.

You can fill them soon after outlining. The piping will act as a dam and hold the glaze in. So just drop a spoonful of glaze in the middle of the cookie and with a small spoon, or clean paint brush, or toothpick for small spaces, gently spread the icing out until it fills the cookie in.

While the glaze is wet, it’s kind of like paint. You can have fun combining different colors and swirling around for cool patterns. In these ones I just used a toothpick to make designs.

The last method is to outline the cookies with piping, then fill them with glaze, and then pipe again on top. You could then color different piping bags and decorate cookies like snowmen, santas etc. I think monograms are really cute too, especially for things like baby and wedding showers. Here’s some letters I did. Oooh, or how about an ABC theme for a toddler’s birthday party? That would be cute too. If you’re going to do this method, it may seem like a lot of steps. To break it up, you could bake your cookies one night and put them in an air-tight container. Then the next day glaze them and the next day give them away. Or if you ice them in the morning, they might be dry enough to stack and pack that night. I tested my cookies, and on the third day they were still soft and super yummy.*I’m editing this post after making my Valentines Cookies. I discovered that it worked great to bake the cookies ahead of time and as soon as they’re cooled, put them in the freezer. They can stay frozen for several weeks (maybe even months? I don’t know, they don’t last that long at my house!) Then when ready to decorate, take them out of the freezer and you don’t even need to let them thaw, just start decorating. I think the cold helps the icing dry faster. Do it in the morning and they may be dry enough for you to package later the same day- this way the cookies are super fresh.

And speaking of birthday parties…
this is for someone special today :)

No matter which method you use, the glaze will need to dry completely overnight.Make-Ahead Storage: Thanks so much to a reader who reported back with these notes! Made the glace icing 4-5 days ahead of time, stored it in the fridge, airtight, either wrapped in a pastry bag or in a plastic container with wax paper on the surface. It worked perfectly, did not even need to be re-whisked and barely even had to come to room temperature. Definitely can be made ahead and refrigerated, loved it!”So there you have it- thanks to Kim.Related Recipes:
Sugar Cookies
Valentine Sugar Cookie Pops
Chocolate Toffee Sugar Cookies
Spider Web Cookies

Kate says:

Oh, thanks, Sara! You’re so sweet! And those cookies are GORGEOUS! You’ve inspired me to make some; I’m usually hesitant because sugar cookies can be tedious, but those look amazing.

rossandconnierockon! says:

These cookies are GORGEOUS! You are making me think I can do this. . . and I am NOT crafty :)

Amber says:

Those look awesome! I love the snowflake design, and Happy birthday Kate!

Leah says:

Happy Birthday Kate! I think I might have to give these a try.

Melissa says:

super cute! they look perfect!

Aubri says:

Beautiful! I hate frosting cookies, and this makes me want to make them…right now!

*Kimmie* says:

Beautiful!!

Kaylene says:

Awesome! Sugar cookies are my absolute favorite!! Now that you have shared your icing how about your sugar cookie recipe that is still soft on day 3? Please do share. Oh happy birthday Kate

Jodi says:

What a great tutorial! The cookies are gorgeous!

Nurse Heidi says:

Happy happy birthday Kate!!

Those cookies are so fun! I’ve tried a glaze in the past and didn’t have great success with it either – this gives me new hope. Also, I can’t wait for the sugar cookie recipe because I always seem to have them come out poofy and losing the original shape. Yours are nice and crisply shaped.

Taylor says:

like everyone has said…those cookies are beautiful! i LOVE the snowflakes…so pretty! i wanna try making them and hope they turn out just as good! :o)

Derek and Mary says:

Those look so good! I’m definatley making some when you share your cookie recipe! I’m totally impressed with your cookie decorating skills!

The Davis Family says:

Those look like they are from the local bakery! So pretty! I can’t wait to try it. Too bad it will probably have to wait til after the holidays when I actually have time!

Happy Birthday Kate!

Laura says:

Happy Birthday Kate!

Sara~These cookies are beauties! I have always wanted to try something like this and now I feel like I might actually succeed when I try them. Thanks!

Patti says:

Very inspirational! I put my decorating tools away years ago, but I will be digging them out to make these adorable cookies. I love the blue star cookie with the white middle.
    Happy happy birthday Kate dear, happy days will come to you all year (you know the rest of the song).

gigi says:

Happy Birthday Kate!! Hope it’s a good one!

I love the cookies, they rock! You done yourself proud there little girly. I’d love to give these a shot.

Erin says:

The problem is you make it all look so easy! These are quite possibly the cutest cookies I have ever seen! You are amazing.

Nathaly says:

Hit Alt+130 for an é. (The numbers on the side of the keyboard.) Unless you have a laptop, in which case I don’t know how to help you, lol.

Those look beautiful! Great job! I can’t wait for your sugar cookie recipe because those are the only cookies Diego can eat. Well, unless your recipe calls for eggs and milk. All the sugar cookie recipes I’ve ever tried taste like sand.

Happy Birthday, Kate!

Morgan and Derek says:

Those are freaking gorgeous!

The Wifey says:

Well now who the heck are going to want to eat those gorgeous things??

Hannah says:

My three year old daughter just saw these and is begging me to make them. So here we go!! They look so good!

The Wifey says:

And thanks to Nat I just learned something new.

Glacé!

Sara says:

ooh, thanks Nat! I knew it was something like that, but I couldn’t remember the number combination. I haven’t used those in a long time. Thank you!

And thanks everyone else for the nice compliments. To those who think it looks hard, it’s seriously not- give it a try!

becca says:

To everyone who thinks they can’t do this- you can! Sara roped me and my sister in law in to help glaze these this weekend and it was SO easy! I, too have tried using royal icing before and it was a disaster. So thanks Sara, for the tutorial, and letting me try it out! I’m ready to make some super awesome Christmas cookies :)

Britanie says:

Sara, you are amazing! Those look wonderful, I just might have to start baking, you make it look easy enough I could enlist the kiddo’s help as well.

Diana says:

Those look so beautiful! You definitely gave me some courage in trying out frosting some cookies.

Tara says:

Wow, so those have to be the cutest things I’ve ever seen.

Joie de vivre says:

Absolutely GORGEOUS! I don’t possess your confidence yet, but I am bookmarking your recipe to try when I work up the nerve! I love the toothpick swirled designs.

Amanda says:

Your cookies are absolutely beautiful! I was having a hard time getting excited for Christmas this year… but this helped!!! I am making some of those as soon as I possibly can! THANKS for for sharing!

jack!e says:

THANK YOU!! You’ve solved all my icing problems! Now if I could just get that sugar cookie recipe…

Pilar says:

Sara, you are just amazingly talented and the best part is that you are not selfish and share your expertise with everyone. My daughter thinks so highly of you. I thank you for taking the time to teach us using pictures and writing all the explanations, so we too can learn and become better cooks!

Heather says:

Wow! Those look perfect, like out of a fancy magazine.

Anne says:

Wow, those cookies look like perfection!!

WaddleDee says:

Happy B-day Kate!

Did you use the gel food coloring for the cookies you made in the picture?

Sara says:

Yes, I did use gel colors for the ones in my pictures. I have some other pictures that I did with cheap-o liquid colors that I’ll post in my sugar cookie post next week. They work fine too, you just need way more to get a stronger color.

WaddleDee says:

Great, Those are beautiful and I love the color of the icing when dryed, so I had to make sure. I can’t wait for the sugar cookie recipe! Glacé

Kara says:

These are some of the most beautiful cookies I have ever seen! I am going to have to try them, they would be great for so many holidays. I’m thinking Easter eggs would be really fun too!

Amanda P. says:

That is my deleted comment because apparently I can’t spell!

You are amazing, Sara. Those cookies look beautiful!

Kotryna says:

those look amazing. thanks for sharing. the pictures make me happy looking at them too. :)

Erin says:

I bow to your sugar cookie decorating abilities.

Steph says:

Beautiful!
    And of course Happy b-day Kate!

Lisa-Lou-Who says:

They are so beautiful! I have to do that this year. SO fun. I wonder how they’ll look after my kids “help”. Great pics too.

Tasche says:

I can hardly wait for the cookie recipe! I have wanted to do this forever and with your super detailed instructions, I may actually have a prayer at success!

Shara says:

Those cookies are beautiful! I can’t wait to try them. Sara, what size of tip did you use to make those snowflakes? 2 or 3 maybe?

Sara says:

Shara- yes, it was probably a 2 or 3. I’m not sure exactly, I didn’t even look, I just picked the one that looked like it would work!

Lisa says:

Sara where can I find these gel colors? Are they at Walmart? Amazing cookies. I am so ready to lick the screen!

Sara says:

Lisa, you can find gel colors at most cooking supply stores, or anywhere Wilton Products are sold. I usually buy them at the craft store (Michaels’s or Roberts)because I can use their weekly coupon! Walmart does carry Wilton products, so you should be able to find them there. Depending on the store, they may not have the full line, but I always see special holiday sets. They won’t be with the food though, you’ll find them over by the crafts with all of the baking/wedding stuff. You can buy them in boxed sets, or one color at a time. A little goes a long way, so it’s a good investment.

Stephanie says:

I’ve been waiting for the holidays to try Toba’s recipe. I’m glad to hear that it tastes good. I have the same complaints about all the royal icing recipes I’ve tried. I have to say 2 things though . . . 1)Kate, Happy Birthday!!
    2)Sara, your cookies look beaUUtiful! You are truly an artist! I love the designs you came up with!

Christine says:

Wow, awesome! You’re so crafty!
    These cookies are also good for Christmas party. Thanks for your sharing! Very inspiring!

April says:

thanks for the tips!!! just in time for my holiday baking :-)

The cool family! says:

You are so freaking creative! I LOVED the cookie photos and instructions. Now I’m all ready to make cookies!!!!

Nathaly says:

Hey, in case you were wondering, “Pilar” is my mom. :) She is now a fan of ourbestbites, and is using a couple of your recipes for this Friday’s enrichment. Thanks, ladies!

Larisa says:

You are an icing savior! I have been battling with royal icing and having piping nightmares. I can’t wait to try this! Thank you!!!

Thermomix in Australia says:

These are inspirational and adorable, how talented are you!! I will try, once life slows down ;)

Books at Bedtime says:

These cookies are really pretty… make some more to hang on your Christmas tree!

Yael says:

You are great!! I am so in to cookie decorating and you have given me some great tips. More power to ya! Your cookies are inspiring- thanks so much! Looking forward to your recipe fo rthe cookies.

Sharon says:

Wow, those are beautiful. I am definitely going to try these for the holidays – great post!

HoneyB says:

This is absolutely the best post I hava seen on icing cookies! AND I found it jus tin time!!

Chef E says:

Great post! I once attempted to make gingerbread cookies and houses with my kids waaaaaay back, and I just have to face it, cookies just do not cooperate for me :( , but I make a mean caribbean salmon with sauted greens!

27Susans says:

Thanks for a great tutorial – I’m going to use your design tips for my next batch. I used a similar icing for my Florida snowman cookies, but you’ve perfected it.

Thanks for sharing.

Juli says:

I tried these over the weekend and they turned out fantastic! I love how the icing dries so you don’t have to worry about frosting getting everywhere. I used regular food coloring but they were the McCormick Neon colors and I got a really great bright apple green out of that. Thanks for sharing!

Art of Dessert says:

I tried this recipe and it was fabulous! They’re perfect for my gingerbread and sugar cookies. Thanks for posting it :-)

My Sweet & Saucy says:

Decorating cookies is so much fun! Love yours!

My Sweet & Saucy says:

Decorating cookies is so much fun! Love yours!

Rachelle says:

I love these cookies glazed like that! I’ll have to try my hand at your tutorial someday. :)

Maggie says:

The icing is so pretty! I am terrible at using royal icing to flood the top of cookies. I’m so glad I saw this before I made my sugar cookies this year.

Bellini Valli says:

My daughter is giving sugar cookies to her boyfriend this year so thanks for the glazing tips and recipe:D

Morgan and Derek says:

So, I just did these for the second time, and if you’re NOT artistic (like me)doing the dip method (dip and drip) with some festive sprinkles on top makes them look perfect. You can not screw them up!

sarah says:

hey sara amazin cookies… i cant stop looking at ur pictures… n now these ve tempted me to make some myself n get all artsy… i ve a question for u… do these cookies freeze well after all the glazin n decorating??? i wanna make a big batch n use ur glace recipe to glaze em n freeze em n take em out wenever needed!!!! pls say u ve done so before!!!!:)

Sara says:

Sarah, I really don’t know- I’ve never tried freezing them before. If you give it a shot, come back and let us know!

The Other Tiger says:

Thank you for writing this tutorial. I used your recipe and tips while icing my Christmas cookies, and I was incredibly happy with the way they turned out! I posted some photos of them on my blog, if you’d like to see them.

Thanks again!

sarah says:

hey sara …. i made a batch of ur sugar cookies n decorated em with glace icing as seen in ur tutorial… thank u ever so much for this tutorial n the icing recipe…. this is gonna b by go to recipe forever. thank u so much.. n yeah i froze half of my batch.. very ambitious i knw…its been 5 days n yaay they do freeze well n keep well in da freezer. the icing gets a bit hard but the cookie overall stays well wen frozen!!! so u there u go u cn stack em in ur freezer n ve em wenever.. thank u so much !!!

p.s: wil let u knw after 5 more days how the cookies r doin in the freezer . jus in case:)

Shelby says:

just had to let you know that i used this frosting recipe and LOVED making these cookies. i copied your snowflake on the circle idea, thought that was SO cute. here’s a blog post of my own with some pics of how my cookies turned out. http://shelbych.blogspot.com/2008/12/cookies-catching-up.html Thanks so much!!!

Stephanie says:

Thank you so much for sharing! This looks BEAUTIFUL, and if it’s easier than royal icing (argghh!) I’m totally in!

sammyw says:

these are beautiful, well done!

Angela says:

When you are letting the glaze set over night do just leave the cookies out on the counter or cover them or put them in an air tight container?

Sara says:

Angela-

I usually just leave them out on the counter, only because I’d have to round up a lot of containers to put them in since they have to stay in a single layer! I’ve done it both ways and I really don’t think it makes a difference.

Diamond says:

We decorated some heart cookies with this glaze last night. Even with a piped edge the glaze flowed all over. Next time we will be decreasing the milk and corn syrup to just 1/4 cup each to thicken it up a little.

Sara says:

If you had a piped edge and the frosting flowed over, it may just be an issue of too much icing! You only need a little bit because it spreads so much. I give it a really thin layer and then add more if I need it.

Diamond says:

We will be giving this another try. Because our cookies where for a Valentine’s Day Massacre theme the “bleeding” worked well.

I’ve seen other pictures of cookies made with your glaze that where as great as yours. Is the spoon the best way to apply the glaze? I’m thinking my husband may just be sloppy and heavy handed with the glaze.

Sara says:

Valentine’s Day Massacre, haha.

One of the most common problems people run into is just having it bleed everywhere and make a goopy mess. The thing that can be tricky is that the consistency of the icing makes it so it spreads a lot, but it spreads slowly. So people sometimes put on way too much and are surprised a minute later when the stuff is everywhere. If you want to make sure they don’t run over the cookie, pipe and edge first. Then put on only a SMALL amount and spread it on really thin(I like to use baby spoons, they work well for me). Once it’s completely covering the cookie, then you can add some more (tiny bit at a time)to make it thicker. Just start small!

Once you get into a groove, you’ll be able to tell just by sight and feel how much you need to make it work. Hope you give it another try!

rollingindough says:

I love your icing recipe and have made it numerous times. What is the shelf life of your icing? How do you store it for future use?

Sara says:

rollingindough- (love your screen name by the way, lol) I have no idea what the shelf life of the icing is because I’ve never kept any for future use. I usually just toss it when I’m done. I would imagine that it wouldn’t work well because it hardens over time. It even hardens and becomes thicker from the time I start my cookies to the time I finish, so if you were to save some you would probably need to add more liquid when you were ready to use it again. If you try it out you’ll have to let us know how it goes!

My comfort food network says:

Thanks for sharing your recipe. Great pictures. Drooling, drooling, drooling.

Nur Diyanah Magness says:

Simply superb! The recipes..the style..the works of art and the blog layout. Love it! No doubt an inspiration to the sugar passionate people.

Kristie says:

Hi Sara,

Love love love your cookies, they are gorgeous!

Just wondering if I could substitue the light corn syrup with golden syrup instead, thanks :)

Kristie, I've never used Golden Syrup in this (I'm assuming you're outside of the US?) but I think it would be just fine. I think the corn syrup is mostly for the glossy texture and sheen and golden syrup should do the same thing. Let me know how it goes!

Kristie says:

Thanks Sara, I will try it out :)

Kristie says:

Hi Sara,

Was just wondering if I could make this icing in advance and leave it in the fridge overnight?

Thanks :)

Kristie- yes you can store it in the fridge and it will stay good for several days. You'll probably want to let it sit at room temp though before using it.

Kristie says:

Hi Sara, I'm back :)

Thanks for dropping by my blog, very much appreciated. If you do have the ingredients for onde-onde over at your place, you should give it a try, it's a lovely dessert!

Thanks for ur notes, I'll keep them in mind :)

Kristie says:

Hi Sara, I'm back :)

Thanks for ur notes, I'll keep them in mind :)

Dorothy says:

Hello! I just linked to this tutorial on my blog, and I also added your site to my blogroll :) Thanks for the inspiration!

Sweet Homemade Treats says:

I have been using your glace icing recipe, but dont need such large amounts at once. When I try cutting it in half or in quarters, its not quite the same.

HELP!

Hmmm, I don't know what to tell ya! It's super flexible though, so just try adding more sugar or liquid until it's a consistency that works.

Sweet Homemade Treats says:

what size tip do you use to write letters? i had an order to write a name on the #1 and i cant get the name to look good.

any other advice for writing names?

Well if you're using a really small tip you generally need to have a more fluid consistency to your icing. So you just have to be careful that it doesn't get *too* runny. I don't have any "rules" I just go by feel and look and make adjustments from there!

Amanda says:

I have to say that I am completely intrigued now. I have a friend that swears by royal icing. I've also saved a tutorial using royal from another blog. This looks like a great method too. I guess I will have to try them both and see how it goes! Thanks :)

Maestro says:

I have been looking for a great tasting, hard frosting for cookies that I can get creative with! I am looking forward to using your icing suggestions. Great pics by the way!

Kristin says:

My husband is going to help me decorate cookies for the first time this year ~ this will definitely help him out! Thanks!

Avanniel says:

Hello! This sounds and looks absolutely amazing, but there's something in the ingredients i didn't get –
    What's the extract ?
    Does it have any alternate names so I can buy it here, in Israel?

thankyou.

Avanniel- extract is a type of flavoring we use in the US, often in baking. It's just a highly concentrated flavor that comes in small bottles in every flavor you can imagine. Just a small amount will flavor sweets and baked goods. You could use a few drops of a flavored oil as well if you have that in Israel.

Avanniel-

Okay, I just asked on Twitter and got this info:

In Hebrew they are called tamsiot or Tamtsit vanil (supermarkets) or http://bit.ly/cMVona

Thanks to @franticfoodie for that info!

Avanniel says:

Thank you, Sara! Now I know what you're talking about.
    Can't wait to try :)

andrea says:

Is this and icing that you can use on cupcakes also? Butter cream is way to sweet and cream cheese icing is just not sweet enough!

Andrea, this wouldn't work on cupcakes, but try this:

It's probably just what you're looking for!

Samantha says:

Thank you, Thank you, a million times Thank you! My search is over… This is THE sugar cookie recipe. I have been looking for YEARS for a recipe that I could make nice thick cookies with, that wouldn't puff up and distort the shape of the cut out. These stayed perfect! And the icing/glaze…also perfect. My family is all laughing at me becasue I can't stop singing and dancing about these cookies!!!!

Bella's mommy says:

Hi Sara
    the recipe says 6T C whole milk, is that 6 tablespoons plus 1 cup of milk? Thanks can't wait to try these!

No it's 6T, don't ask me how that C got in there!

ms.piggy says:

What is the drying time for the icing?? I would like to try the icing for some Easter Sugar Cookies and need factor in the time it takes to try. Does the icing come off easily?

Ms Piggy- if you want to actually stack and pack the cookies, they'll need 24 hours to dry. However, if you just want them to look pretty on a plate and not smash each other if overlapped a littl, a few hours will do just fine. They will have hardened on top, but the icing underneath is still soft. That's actually how I like them best! I'm not sure what you mean by "does it come off", but it doesn't really chip off if that's what you mean.

Kelly says:

Really pretty! I've been working with this glaze for a few weeks and having trouble with the colors bleeding – particularly with black/gray onto red or white (ladybugs and soccer balls). I really want to be able to layer colors! Any tips to keep the colors from bleeding? I love it otherwise because it gets hard and tastes great!! Thanks!

Kelly just try thickening your glaze- when it's too runny the colors will bleed easily. Or, let one dry for a few hours before adding the other. As long as you have a solid border nothing will bleed!

Sheri@childmade.com says:

You make it look so easy! I've always tended to be more like you described your first attempt. Thanks for sharing … I've posted a link.

Mauid102806 says:

beautiful cookies! Do you know if we can freeze these cookies already decorated with the glace icing?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Hi, Mauid! I've frozen them before in airtight containers and they come out great on the other side. The only concern is freezing them for too long–sometimes they'll lose their lustre and become a little cloudy looking, but they're still beautiful and taste great.

Tami says:

I think you are my new hero. I've just discovered your site, and I can't get enough! I need to try these icing tips ASAP…maybe for Halloween.

Denise Marie says:

OMG……best sugar recipe in the world…..i luv u!!!
    but cant do the icing….it was runny….need to perfect it…one more question cant get the color white to look so white….my colorless icing looks more yellowish kind of want to ake the snowflake white….any suggestions??

sillykris says:

I started with the piped border and flood method but then found that with this icing I could decorate a beautiful cookie with just spreading the icing on with a spoon. Thanks for your tutorial. This is the best blog for cookies that I've found.

Sharon says:

I was wondering if a non dairy milk, such as coconut milk would work, or even coffee rich.

Holly says:

I have been using Toba's recipes and book for 4 years now…THE BEST cookie decorating book out there! It is no nonsense, good recipes and good ideas. I have found her other recipes online as well.

Rene says:

I finally got around to trying this icing and it is GREAT! Looks just like the photos and mine turned out beautifully. I used skim milk and it didn't change the recipe.

Also, another tip: if you make the icing ahead of time, seal the container(s) or the icing will dry out.

Sugar In The Sky says:

Your cookies look fabulous!
    I have read through quite a few blogs and posts and by far you have THE very BEST one on decorating these sugar cookies! I am saving this one for my girls and I to make!!~
    Thank you so much for taking the time to post wonderful step by step instructions and pictures. I cannot wait to read through all of your other goodies!!~

Michele :D

Heather Talley says:

Love this icing! It is perfect for decorating those sugar cookies we cut out with decorative cookie cutters (like Easter eggs with the design in the cutter). I also just realized that I can use my edible markers on it! Perfect for when I am not up for the mess of frosting cookies with my 3 year old…I frost and the next day he colors!

Candace says:

Hey, I am making cookies with the glace icing on them and want to know when I should start icing them. I plan on giving them out Saturday. The cookies are already cooked and in the freezer. I saw one comment said they started to lose their shine so I want to know when I should start the process with piping and icing and putting them in cellophane bags. Thanks soo much!

You’ve probably already made these Candace, but if you’re going to package these, I try to make them one day ahead so they’re sure to be dry!

Ginny says:

When I was pregant with my third child I made sugar cookies and used the gingerbread man cutout, and made approximately 60 cookies(30)for each kid and painted pink and blue diapers on them then froze them till their little brother arrived so that they could take them to school to announce the arrival of their new baby to their classmates and my boys were happy to have pink ones to eat at home!

PS I also made some for my husband to take to work instead of the cigars that they used to.

Valeria says:

Thank you so much for this recipe. I’m pregnant and can’t eat raw egg whites, and all the royal icing recipes require it. I needed to bake some type of shower favors, and didn’t know what to do to decorate them until I saw your blog…. You’re a life saver!!!

Cassi says:

I thought I would put the frosted cookies in the freezer to help them set quicker. Learn from my mistake and DON’T DO IT! :) Once they return to room temp the frosting just runs off the cookie.
    Last time I made these, I did it the right way and waited patiently for them to set. They were adorable!

Stephanie says:

I was so inspired by your glace icing and the designs on your cookies, I thought I had to try it out. Well, sort of.. :) I’d made shortbread stars and thought to do a glace icing over the top. I used a different recipe (as I already had the ingredients for it), but your designs were what made me know I had to use a glace icing over the top. I settled for simply spreading the icing over the top of the stars and followed your tips on using a baby spoon and a toothpick for small spaces. Worked really well! I’ll have to try your glace icing recipe next time. I really love the white outlines and the colours on the inside. Creates lots of depth to the cookies. Thanks for your inspiring designs!

Jan says:

I haven’t tried this yet, but like some, I’m not too artsy. If all these great people can do it, well I guess I can.

Thanks people, for giving me the confidence by your comments.

Lu-lu says:

This is awesome! I`ve been trying to amp up my plain old cookies. >33> Sorry for asking this.

I wanted to make my boyfriend cookies for our 7 month anniversary and I want to use these tips~! x3

Steph says:

Love your website. So many good recipes. I always had such a hard time icing cookies as i didn’t know i had to put a dam. You do the same to put the filling in a cake so i should have known but anyways i do now. thanks for sharing all your great pics and recipes again. I’ll be a regular on your blog. x

Angela says:

This has got to be the best step by step instruction I have found. Can’t wait to try it!

Kathie Brundege says:

Lovely site, and great tadvice on decorating cookies….I am 60 years old and a seasoned cook and baker, but your tips are wonderful….and as my dough is chilling away as I key this…I can’t wait to get started. Thanks so much….Happy Baking

Syrita Lopez de Charana says:

Just wonderful!

Jp says:

I’m a n00b sugar cookie decorator. I tried the glaze today thinking it would be as easy as it looks but the glaze ran all over the place :( These cookies are suppose to be for my mom’s customers too. I can’t give them looking like this. I tried thickening it until it was to the point it was too hard to stir. I put that in a piping bag to make a barrier on the cookie so I could flood the middle. Still spreads and doesn’t allow stacking. I can’t have 30 cookies all over my counter for 24 hours or more :( I guess this isn’t the topping for me? :( They sure are pretty on your blog though.

jen says:

I used this icing and it’s wonderful I stored it in the fridge until next use but when I went to use it again I found it to be runnier then prior to refrigerating..Should I have added more icing sugar to thicken it up again?

Christina Taylor says:

All I have to say is WOW!!!! Once I read you’re write up on this and your sugar cookie recipie I realized that I too am a sugar cookie snob and have never found a recipie I liked… I am happy to say I have now. It was perfect!! not to sweet and I love them thick and chewy which is exactly how they turned out. The dough was great, not dry and at the same time easy to roll…it didn’t stick to everything which makes things Soooo much easier. I then decorated with your glaze and they looked great. I did little bags up for my four year old’s preschool class each withal tree, stocking and star cookie inside.

Heather says:

Thanks for the great lesson. My cookies came out awesome! My only question is about the piping. When it dried, it got many air bubble pops. Any suggestions for next time? Thanks!

Hey I am having a bit of an issues with the finish on my icing. It takes on a marbled or frosted look to it when it drys. I was wondering if you ever had that happen or happened to know what could cause that. Thank you so much!

Eileen says:

I found your link on pinterest…thanks so much for the great cookie and icing recipe..Made them with my 10 year old son and had a blast. They taste amazing and the icing glaze worked great..ours were almost as pretty as yours!

Lesley says:

Made these last night for Christmas using your sugar cookie recipe and they were PERFECTION! Thank you, they’re foolproof and got rave reviews from my guests!

diane says:

My daughter can’t have milk products. Can you use only water or would almond milk be o.k.?

michele says:

Just curious about a couple things. Is it SAFE to have MILK in this icing recipe and NOT keep them refrigerated???? I’ve always wondered about that….. Doesn’t the milk go sour at some point and is this safe? I’ve made this recipe before, but wondered if anyone would ever get sick on them because of the milk! Second question… Do they really get HARD enough to ship? In the past when I’ve made these, even though it had been several hours, and even into the next day, stacking them would always crush my piping and so I switched to Royal Icing, which as we all know, doesn’t taste as yummy as the glace does…. I would much rather use this icing, but I’m afraid when I ship them to customers that they may arrive smooshed…. Are you sure 24 hours is enough? Sincerely, Michele D.

Michelle, many things will impact the drying time (humidity, temperature in the home, etc.) I suggest testing a cookie and adjusting your drying time accordingly. To get really *really* hard, you will want about 2 days. After 1 mine are usually just fine to stack on a plate. On the milk issue, *many* baked goods include dairy in the topping and/or filling and are stored at room temperature. Think about your standard buttercream; I’ve had cookies out for a week and they still taste great :)

evelania says:

I can’t find the Valentine pops anywhere…where are they? It’s saying “page not found”.

Caroline says:

Love this icing and thanks for the great tutorial. I use this icing for all my decorated cookies, and link here so others can too :)

Melissa says:

I just made these for my kindergartner’s class for Valentine’s Day and they are amazing! I quadrupled the recipe and used lemon, almond and vanilla extract. They are sooooo good! I made the larger heart pops and they worked, just like you said! I got the sticks from Walmart and bags from Hobby Lobby. I just wanted to come here and post a big THANK YOU for your wonderful recipes and tutorials. I was making these for the first time and did it all with no mishaps. They really are the best, and you are wonderful for sharing.

One thing I tried and liked, because I was working with so much dough, was to cut the shapes first while the dough was a little softer and easier to work with. Then I stacked them on top of each other on a cookie sheet I had set in my fridge so they could continue chilling while the others baked. They did not stick to each other and they were all nice and cold before they went into the oven.

Terra says:

Thanks for the great tutorial. I made the cookies and icing for Easter and they turned out great.

cheeseburger says:

I know your boys aren’t old enough yet, but soon enough…. I just wanted you to know that one batch does exactly 45 Eagle cookies – for a Court of Honor. With just enough left over for a few graham crackers, or Oreo’s, or fingers… which is what makes it the perfect amount! (Y’all were fab.u.lous in Harrisburg. Lucky me!)

Kylee says:

I LOVE your cookies and this icing recipe, and have found that with a little patience and a LOT of research, I have made some amazing sugar cookies.

For decorating, the most important lesson I have learnt is the “10 second rule,” whereby when you cut a knife through your bowl of icing, the cut mark disappears in 10 seconds. Any more, and the icing will run EVERYWHERE. Any less, and it will be really hard to spread.

I’ve kept this icing for quite a few days in piping bags, doing multi-staged decorating projects with no problems. It can run out the end of the bag though, so make sure you store the bag tip side up!

For some really good tutorials and inspiration on decorating with this sort of icing, check out http://www.cookiecrazie.com/ I found this website to be invaluable – this icing has some limitations compared to RI but it tastes so much more amazing and you CAN do some gorgeous things with it, if you feel so inspired.

I do my sugar cookies this way also. But sometimes I use a buttercream icing (made with half butter, half crisco) to do the piping. That way it tastes even yummier! Gorgeous cookies!

Nicole says:

I’ve used this recipe three times now for flooding only.

I make a double batch and then refrigerate it for weeks at a time. I was a little nervous about it but the first time I made the recipe the single batch was a lot more than I needed for my tiny batch of cookies (I live alone so no roommates to feed). I decided to refrigerate it for my next batch and it was still great after days in the refrigerator. It tasted fine, but as another user reported after freezing, it may have been a bit cloudy.

Instead of gels, because I’m a poor grad student (and if I walk into a craft store – so help me…) I tried the McCormick’s Neon Food Coloring. They’re just like the same old ones you would find in the spice section but they’re really intense and they do turn out neon with this recipe. The Lime Green is unbelievably bright.

Anyway, this recipe is amazing. My co-workers all say that the cookies are bakery quality and it’s totally because of this icing (because I’m def not making the sugar cookies from scratch…).

Thanks a mil for this recipe! It’s amazing and it’s on my rotation for sure.

Andrea says:

I just had to take a minute and tell you how wonderful this recipe and your technique tips are. I love sugar cookies but feel they never turn out right for so much work. This was perfect and now feel I can make sugar cookies and glace icing for any event with confidence. Thank you so much!

Bonita says:

Just letting you know I linked to this post in my Snowflake Unit Study. http://www.zujava.com/snowflake-study

CamilleN says:

Popsicle sticks make great spreaders as well!

Jacki says:

I did it! I did it! It was quick and pretty easy for someone whose not crafty :-) I love this recipe. Everyone should try it! Thanks!

[...] decorate them the following day), decorate to your heart’s content. I simply spooned on this Glacé Icing and let them dry overnight before packaging my little balloon cookies. Next time I might try [...]

Breea says:

Thanks so much for this tutorial! I am in charge of Santa’s handout treat at our ward (church) Christmas party so I am making 240 cookies and frosting 160 of them. This icing is a lifesaver.

Jennifer Butler says:

I used this icing to make our Christmas sugar cookies this year. Can’t tell you how simple it was and how cute they turned out to be! Had some “trial and error” moments, but the tutorial was a great help! Much better tasting than the royal icing we used on gingerbread men earlier this week! :)

[...] today. I’m baking up some fragrant gingersnaps so we can pipe designs on them with white glacé icing. (Cookie cutters and multicolored icing are too much for me this year.) I plan to do a little more [...]

Vanessa says:

I used this icing to decorate sugar cookies for Christmas and loved it! Def. my new go to and it taste so much better than Royal Icing! :) Thank you so much! :)

Jo says:

Do you think if I piped a shape on top of a cake I can fill it with this?? Thanks!!

Lisa says:

What size tip did you use for the piping? I have been looking for glaze for my sugar cookies.

Thanks!

Roberta Langlais says:

Your recipe and directions were perfect.I was so afraid to try it. Did a dry run for my daughter’s bridal shower and came out amazing. I had bought squeeze bottle set from Pampered Chef for decorating and used for first time. Did the trick

Lisa says:

Love this glaze icing recipe. I’ve tried making it in the past but this one worked great. I needed something that would harden enough to stack for a bake sale but soft enough to bite through. It was delicious and a big hit. Will use again. Thanks!!

[...] Glac’e Icing recipe is adapted from Toba Garret you can find her link on ourbestbites which has good icing [...]

Andrea says:

Thanks for the tutorial! I love sugar cookies and cream cheese frosting (cream cheese everything)–and I stack them with wax paper between and they work out fine. I actually love the slick, polished look of these–but after a few royal icing flops, I’d given up hope of doing it myself! You explain things in such detail, which I really appreciate. Going to try these for my Christmas party–thanks!

Jyl & Jill says:

Sara thank you so much for your sugar cookie recipe! I have always avoided making sugar cookies because I just could not get them to come out right. My best friend and I bake Christmas cookies all weekend long and she always wants sugar cookies. We made a batch and had nothing but crumbles when we went to roll them out. (To the trash they went). We found your recipe and was giving it one more try. At least we got it right. LOVE the tip about rolling between parchment paper!
    Again thank you from the Jill’s

[…] and cut out X’s and O’s and of course hearts to then frost with this glacé icing found here. We like to add in mint extract to this icing during Christmas {My favorite part of this icing is […]

rmd says:

The icing and the cookie recipe are terrific! I made little hearts and packaged them for my son’s valentine’s this year and were supposed to be handed out today. Because everyone was confused with the schedule, not all of the kids brought their valentines in and now the exchange has been postponed until next Tuesday!!! I’ve read all the comments about freezing them AFTER they are decorated….I don’t know what the shelf life looks like for these, but based on your experience, would you recommend putting them in the freezer for the next five days, or leaving them out in an airtight container? I don’t want to ruin them, but I don’t want my son to hand out stale cookies next week. Thanks so much for your help…been reading your blog for years and LOVE IT! (Also bought the cook book when it came out…terrific!)