So I have this friend Kat (Hi, Kat!) who apparently thinks that cooking isn’t her thing. Little does she know that this recipe that I got from her is seriously one of our family’s favorite meals. The best part is that it’s just not super delicious, but it’s super healthy as well–low in calories and fat and high in lean protein. It’s seriously good enough for company and no one will ever know it’s good for them. Shhhh…I won’t tell.

Hawaiian Turkey Burgers
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1/2 c. (plus more if you need it) dry bread crumbs
1/2 c. red or green bell pepper, minced (about 1/2 medium bell pepper)
1/2 c. thinly sliced green onion
1 tsp. finely chopped fresh ginger root
1 small can pineapple slices; reserve juice
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
Thick Teriyaki sauce (like Kikkoman or this recipe)
Light mayonnaise (optional, but very yummy!)
4 hamburger buns (you can use this recipe if you’re feeling ambitious)

Gently combine turkey, bread crumbs, bell pepper, green onion, ginger, 1/4 c. reserved juice from pineapple, and salt. Form into 4 deliciously large patties. Chill until ready to cook.

If you can, pop these puppies on the grill until done; otherwise, you could put these under the broiler in your oven, a grill pan on your stovetop, or just a frying pan. If desired, grill pineapple in last 5 minutes of cooking. Baste burgers with Teriyaki sauce during last two minutes of grilling. Spread buns with light mayonnaise and a little more Teriyaki sauce. Enjoy!

Nutritional Information:

Burger and Pineapple Only:
Calories: 238
Fat: 3.6
Fiber: 1.6
Weight Watcher points: 6
Burger and Pineapple on Whole Wheat Bun:
Calories: 358
Fat: 5.6
Fiber: 3.5
Weight Watcher Points: 8
*If you add light mayo, add 1 more Weight Watchers point

Chef E says:

Well, since I like burgers, but only if I make them myself (no fast food here), then this is on the list for the weekend grill’er… Thanks!

Kaitlin says:

These look seriously awesome! I would totally love these, yum!!

Kathi and Ryan says:

Aw, I feel so special!!! I had no idea any of you guys even tried these. Well, I’m glad you like them enough to share the recipe here…they ARE yummy!

Bunny says:

I’ve never made a turkey burger for my family, but i think I could make this and they’ed be happy with it. Thanks!

Erin says:

My mouth is watering just looking at that pineapple. YUM!

Ann says:

I love your blog, read it all the time, drool over your recipes and pictures. And I know that you are trying to be healthy and supportive of people who are dieting….

BUT (I know you could feel it coming)

Could you please please please stop putting the weight watchers points info on your posts? It’s really rubbing me the wrong way. Consider it a way to be supportive of those who are NOT dieting.

Nurse Heidi says:

Ooooh, those look good! I’m kinda squeamish about mushing ground meat around with my hands, but I just might have to for these. I have a fresh pineapple that’s begging to be used and it looks like tomorrow might be warm enough to melt enough snow off my BBQ grill to actually do them outside. Bliss.

Kate says:

Okay…putting on my diplomatic panties here…

Ann–We’re truly sorry if including nutritional information rubs you the wrong way. However, we’ve found through numerous emails that people really appreciate us including the nutritional information and WW points.

Normally, we don’t have the time or energy to calculate the nutritional information for all of our recipes (and really, do we want to know how many WW points are in Peppermint Candycane Brownies??), but we’ll continue to do it this month to help people (ourselves included) get back on track to eating right. This isn’t about “diet” food; rather, it’s about good, healthy food that we eat whether we’re dieting or not. We want to showcase some recipes that are healthy without being “diet” recipes.

We hope that this won’t cause you to stop reading altogether! If it really bothers you, please feel free to skip the last paragraph of any post–we won’t be hurt, we promise! We will be sad, however, if you stop coming by!

Ann says:

Whoa, diplomatic panties? That sounds a little creepy. I hope you wash them regularly!

Glad to hear it’s only a temporary dip into the diet mentality.

Carry on! Carry on.

Carolyn says:

Meh, I don’t see what the big deal is. Health info can do anyone good! No matter what your situation is- dieting or not. And I think you are in the minority if you’re not dieting at all. Lucky!

Kate (and Sara)- this looks delicious! As usual, love the blog and all your recipes :)

Kelly says:

I was planning on using your yummy Candied Walnut Salad and honey red wine dressing for an activity with about 60 people, approx. how much does your recipe make? I have never made anything in bulk like that before, could you give me any suggestions? Thanks!

The Wifey says:

ha ha! Just because they are posting the WW points doesn’t mean you HAVE to go on a diet or that they think you *need* to. I for one think it’s great. And if I were on WW I would have died and gone to heaven finding this blog.

Amanda P. says:

I think anyone could use a new yummy nutritious recipe. Whether you’re dieting or not, eating healthy makes you happy.
    I’m really excited to try the recipes you have in store this month. Thanks Kate!

The Ditts Fam says:

I’ve never seen anyone “rubbed the wrong way” about WW points, but k…whatever.

I also LOVE the nutritional info on the food. Yes, I need to lose 10 lbs, but I’m not dieting, nor following ww. But I want to eat healthier to get my insides healthy as well. So when I see WW points and it’s low, I know it’s a pretty healthy food to consume. And since it’s on Best Bites, it’s definitly going to be GOOD. Not yucky diet food. :)

Keep up the amazing work ladies.

Kate says:

Kelly–for 60 people, I would probably 5x the recipe for the salad and 4x the recipe for the dressing. When I made the salad for a ton of people, I did all the prep work the day before–get bags of prewashed, chopped romaine if you can; if you can’t…

–Wash and chop the lettuce one head at a time and let one head drain while you chop the next one. Get the chopped lettuce as dry as you can with a bunch of paper towels and then put it in the gallon-sized ziploc bags.

–Make the dressing and keep it in a pitcher that has a lid and a pour spout

–Crumble the blue cheese; keep in a Ziploc bag

–Chop the apples up to a couple of hours before you have to go; as long as they’re in juice, they’ll be fine

–Caramelize the nuts the day before; same thing, Ziploc bag

When you get where you’re going, all you have to do is throw everything together and throw away the Ziploc bags. Oh, and if you’re making a bunch AND you have a Costco nearby, they have THE MOST delicious Gorgonzola cheese–it’s in light blue foil and sooooo delicious!!

Malesa says:

These look so good. I’m totally going to make them. Will they still taste yummo with extra lean hamburger meat? This may sound weird, but where we live, I don’t think I can find ground turkey close by and if I do, it will cost a million dollars. Also, thanks for posting the weight watcher stuff.

Yum, these look really good. I think they’re going on my menu for next week. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you’re posting WW points!

Torie Chipman says:

Love your blog. So beautiful & cheery. Love this recipe too. Can't wait to try it! Thanks so much for so many wonderful treats.

Joie de vivre says:

I love recipes like these! I’m bookmarking this one!

Tollestrup Family says:

Quick question – I am making these tonight and I don’t know how many bread crumbs to use. It doesn’t say the amount – and what kind of bread crumbs? They look fabulous!

Kate says:

Hahaha, yeah, that would be 1/2 c.! :) 1/2 by itself doesn’t really do any good, does it? Thanks for calling me out on it! :)

masoup says:

I love the Blog. I am especially excited for the Weight Watchers Points listed with the recipes. Please DON'T let anyone talk you out of putting them on. Thanks for a great Blog.

Melissa says:

My husband and I love these – so tasty! This time, I had extra mixture left (had to use up a 2lb. package of turkey) and thought, “I bet this would make a great meatloaf.” I was right! I just added pineapple tidbits to the mixture and poured a little teriyaki sauce to glaze the loaf, and voila! Hawaiian Meatloaf!

Mel says:

I really love this blog and appreciate you laides posting healthy delicious recipies. I am not dieting but love eating nutritious foods and appreciate your efforts in posting weight watchers points and calories. Please don’t let overly sensitive people prevent you from doing that!

Sarah says:

So these are in the pan as we speak and have completely fallen apart. Fail. What did I do wrong? I put in the correct amounts of everything. The only difference is my turkey meat was 90/10 instead of 93/7.

Becca says:

This is one of our new family favorites. I wanted to let you know of a substitution I made, turned out a masterpeice! I didn’t have bread crumbs on hand because I had used them all for the crispy coconut crusted chicken finger recipe I made last week. I had so much of the cocunut/crumb mixture left over afterwards, I decided to freeze it for next time I made the chicken.

You can already see where this is going, right? Yeah, I subbed those beauties in for the plain bread crumbs, and I cannot tell you what a beautiful flavor the coconut and curry powder added to these juicy burgers! A perfect blend with the pineapple on top – devine!

Thanks for all your inspirational recipes!

[...] 5- Hawaiian Turkey Burgers with Snow [...]

sam says:

lol, someone made about nutritional info? ignorance is bliss I guess. I am happy the info is posted. I don’t diet but I don’t want to fill my body with garbage either.

I am making this tonight, hope it works out,looks great!

Christine says:

Hi! Tried these tonight – so yummy! I grilled them & they stuck to the grill…just wonder what you might recommend to prevent the burgers from sticking? Perhaps, grill temp (hi, med, lo would be fine!) would make a difference in this department?

Natasha Valdez says:

I stumbled across your blog yesterday while looking for “healthy” ideas to cook some ground turkey. Usually i’m the type of girl that goes for the bag of Doritoes…Dorito’s? Doreetoes? Apparently this computer is telling me I can’t spell…anywho rather than potatoes. (Actually I don’t think potatoes are really healthy either but you catch my drift) I saw this recipe and I HAD to try it. Bad news is I had to settle for a dinner box of carbs that night because I didn’t have all the ingredients (I know i’m a diet newby it was eventually gonna happen lol) So TODAY I made them and they are sooo scrumpdiliumptious! (that’s pronounced scrump-dilly-um-shus) Definition: Heaven in a burger :) You girls are amazing! I’m so glad I came across your blog! It’s definitely going to get me through my diet plan! <3

[...] Skins Homemade Turkey Meatball Subs Turkey Meatloaf Bubble Up Enchiladas Taco Salad Hawaiian Turkey Burger  Skinny Crock Pot Pizza Casserole Fully Loaded Taco Bites Sweet Potato Turkey Shepherds Pie [...]

Brenda Wakefield says:

Hot off a cleanse and wanting to keep things healthy, I came across this recipe and made it last night. May I say YUM!!! My husband and 2 sons tend to give me some grief when I make meals “too healthy”. But last night the bugers got rave reviews! I doubled the recipe so all my men had two burgers to satisfy their big appetites. Delicious, flavorful, easy to prepare. Def recommend grilling the pinapple (and yes, I used some light mayo too!). So happy I’ve discovered this blog as I can’t wait to try some of the other healthy recipes the sisters post! :)

Laura says:

I just made these for dinner and they were absolutely delicious! Thanks for a wonderful, healthy and delicious recipe.

[…] adapted from Our Best Bites) Looking for more turkey recipes? Here are a few of our favorites: Ground Turkey Sloppy Joes Slow […]