The first time I ever tasted a sweet potato fry was at McMenamins when we lived in Portland. They were fried like french fries with just a sprinkling of salt, and they were so so good. I didn’t expect to like them because it just sounded weird, but when I bit into that crispy, salty exterior and found a soft, sweet center, I was sold.
One problem: most sweet potato dishes in the US are so full of bad-for-you ingredients (deep frying oil, brown sugar, butter, marshmallows, heck, all of this) that is just cancels out all of the good stuff. And sweet potatoes are very very good for you. They’re packed with vitamin C, fiber, and tons of antioxidents, just to name a few. They’re also are lower in carbs than a regular potatoes. And if you battle with blood-sugar issues, regular potatoes are disastrous, but ironically “sweet” potatoes are much better. The sweetness comes from complex carbohydrates (the good kind) and not simple carbs (the bad kind) Also, they’re tossed in olive oil which is well known for it’s healthy qualities. Remember, olive oil is the good oil! This is is great, healthy alternative to french fries and they taste fantastic.
And if you’re totally ignoring this post because you don’t like the sweet potatoes on the Thanksgiving table, then think again. These are totally different. And kids love them. Making them in frech-fry form is a great way to introduce a food that maybe doesn’t get seen on the table very often. Both of my little boys LOVE these. Give it a shot!
FYI:
- One serving is 3 weight watchers points (add 1 extra point for 2T dip)
- These fit into phase 2 of the South Beach Diet

- A serving has 147 calories, 5 g of fat, and 4 grams of fiber.
sweet potatoes, extra virgin olive oil, herbs and spices
 This is how I cut my sweet potatoes:
It’s important that all of the pieces are evenly sized to ensure even cooking. So toss any irregular pieces aside (or eat them in another dish). When you’re ready you’ll have something that looks like a pile of carrots and you can trick your kids like I did. Muah ha ha ha ha!
Put the sweet potatoes in a bowl and drizzle the olive oil over them. Use your hands to make sure each one is coated. If you’ve got more than a pound of sweet potatoes, add a little extra olive oil. They should all be glistening, just eyeball it.
Then sprinkle on all of the herbs and spices and continue to toss until well coated.
Place the fries on the baking sheet. It’s very important that they are not touching, but can place them pretty close together like in my picture below.
*if you end up needing more than one cookie sheet make sure they are spaced more than one rack apart in your oven to prevent steaming. Also, rotate the pans when you take them out to flip.
Place cookie sheet in pre-heated oven and set the timer for 15 minutes. Don’t open the oven door, not even for a peak! Let them do their thing.
After 15 minutes take pan of oven and flip the fries. If you try to do it one at a time it will take forever, I take a long spatula and get a bunch at at time in the pic below. It’s super quick. Just flip, and then make sure they’re spaced out again. Be careful because at this point they’re quite soft.
Put the pan in the oven and cook for another 15-20 minutes. Just keep an eye on them. They should be nice and golden brown. Click on the picture below so you can see the nice caramelization in detail! Mmmm…I want to eat that up right now. Crispy crunchy on the outside, and sweet and soft in the middle.
Take them out of the oven and serve immediately. They cool off very quickly so they’re best eaten right away. Serves about 4.
Oh, and just because every fry needs a dip, I made one up for these. Honestly, they don’t need a dip, they’re really really yummy just on their own. But dipping is always fun, isn’t it? If you want a dip, whip this up while the fries are in the oven, or it can be made way in advance.
low-fat plain yogurt, honey, mayo, lime juice, cumin, oregano, parsley, onion and salt.

Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Honey-Lime Dip

Recipe by Our Best Bites
1 lb peeled sweet potatoes cut into 1/4″ match-sticks
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t oregano
1/2 t coriander
1 t kosher salt
1 t parsley
1/8 tsp black pepper
*you want 1lb sweet potatoes after they are peeled, sliced, etc. If you weigh them at the store make sure you have a little more than a pound to allow for the peeling, and tossing of small pieces.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  In a small bowl combine cumin, oregano, coriander, salt, parsley, and pepper.
Place sweet potatoes in a pile directly on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.  Use hands to toss until all pieces are well coated.  Sprinkle seasoning mixture on top and toss again with hands to coat.
Arrange sweet potatoes in a single layer so that pieces are not touching each other.  Place pan in oven and bake for 15 minutes.  Use a metal spatula to gently flip fries and then return pan to oven. Cook for an additional 15-20 minutes or until fries are starting to lightly brown and crisp.  Remove pan from oven and cool 5 minutes.  Serve immediately.
Honey-Lime Dip
6oz container plain, low-fat yogurt
1 T mayo (low cal is fine)
1/2 T honey
1 Tbs fresh lime juice
1/4 t cumin
1/8 t oregano
1 t parsley
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t kosher salt

Mix all ingredients until combined.  Chill until ready to use.

teeny says:

oh dear sara! i love sweet potato frys!!! can’t wait to make them at home now! thank you!

Shelby aka HoneyB says:

Ok, this is awesome! I love sweet potato fries, especially with a little spice – but that dip?! Yup, I’ll be making this soon! :) Thanks!

Natashya says:

I love sweet potato fries! And turnip and parsnip, sometimes a rainbow of fries. Thanks for reminding me how wonderful and simple these are.. I think I will make them tonight.

Bunny says:

My problem is there’s nobody but me who likes sweet potatoes,well I shouldn’t say that. The only time they get sweet potatoes is at Thanksgiving and Christmas and they’re all candied up. Your right, this is worth a try to see if the kids will eat them. I really think they’d like these!

Fuji Mama says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE sweet potato fries! Can’t wait to try this recipe!

Nathaly says:

Yum, I love sweet potatoe fries. I usually eat them with ranch mixed with a little chili powder. I can’t wait to try that dip next time!

Sara says:

Bunny- that’s what I’m sayin’, these aren’t like sweet potatoes on the holiday table- you’ll have to try them!

Nathaly- ranch mixed with chili powder sounds like a GREAT idea, I’ll have to try that one.

Sara – those look. . .beautiful! Can you say that about fries?? Yum.

Thanks for health info too.

Adrienne says:

I have never tried them but am always intrigued! This recipe might actually inspire me. My kids love when I make fries so maybe I can slip in some healthy-ness!! Thanks.

Eric says:

These are suprisingly tasty…I was impressed! The sauce really makes the meal though!

MollyE says:

these look really good, I am excited to try.

Crystal says:

I am excited for the new healthy recipes. I really love that you can cook yummy food and still be healthy. I can wait to try these. I love sweet potato fries.

Chef E says:

*drool*…its cutting them up that is the pain…but they are worth it…great post, and descriptive!

Ryan, Erika, and Ethan says:

These look delicious! We have baked sweet potatoes a couple times a month, so this will be a fun variation.

I never tried McMenamins fries while we lived up there, but we loved Burgerville’s!

Meagan says:

Oh how I love Sweet Potato Fries! They’re so delicious. Way better than regular fries! My whole family LOVES them.

I just might put them on the menu this week! DELICIOUS!

Candise says:

On the menu for tonight…since I just finished off the FOURTH pan of peppermint-heavenly-brownies you posted a few weeks ago. Thanks for the recipes. I am fairly new to your site and am enjoying it.

annaliese says:

i do love sweet potato fries, and have tried making them at home often, but they never are as good–I’m going try this recipe and see if better luck–thanks!

Steph says:

They look great, and no, I’ve never had them before.

Shannon says:

Now I know what to do with the rest of the case of sweet potatoes I bought at costco. I love sweet potatoes and this sounds great! I will be trying them.

P.S. Thank you for the calculation on points! Your the Best!

becca says:

Yay for health month! These look awesome. I am definitely going to try them when I reach phase two. Any phase one recipes coming this way by any chance??

jjcrew says:

For those of us who go back to weight watchers and calculating points every so often, BLESS YOU!! I’m still going through all my recipes and figuring point values. But once it’s done, it’s done. That’s the magic about it. I guess I’m a loser. I’ve NEVER had sweet potato fries. And I don’t know why. Never been exposed to them I guess. Thanks for the shout out for them.

jjcrew says:

P.S. It’s 6 points for the dip using regular mayo. :)

Sara says:

Thanks jjcrew! Is that 6 per serving, or six for the whole dip? Because the dip goes a long way, that seems like a lot. Just curious!

Tamara says:

my mouth is watering! Congrats on one of eightcrazy’s designs – she is fabulous and now your name is out there – you will be getting loads of visitors I’m guessing!

Kara says:

I’m really excited to try these, and have the kids try them. Dale isn’t a huge sweet potato fan, and the only sp fries he’s tried, were not that great. I’m hoping to make these tonight, thanks Sara! :)

Gabe's Girl says:

We all love sweet pots here! Your fries look gorgeous. I have made similar ones in the past, but they come out a little singed. Now, I know why. I did not cut them thick enough. I am going to try your recipe instead. The one I use calls for shoestring cut. Nice pics!

Katie Tyler says:

I made these for a lunch party today and my picky girlfriend wasn’t sure.. but we LOVED them!! yum yum yum, didn’t even need a dip! thanx

Juli says:

Thanks so much for all the healthy recipes this week! I love sweet potato fries! Mine never look as good as your’s. I’ll definitely try your recipe!

Wendy says:

We love this dip, even though we made it with Miracle Whip (sorry Sara). We first ate it with french bread and crackers… because we couldn’t eat it with just a spoon. I made the fries a few days later. I ended up broiling them for a bit. I loved the seasonings.

jjcrew says:

I’m actually attempting these tonight with my “fauxtisserie” chicken. Smells great. And that was 6 WW points for the entire dip, my friend. ~Jenn

Maris says:

I LOVE sweet potatoes! I was planning on making one tomorrow but I might have to make fries instead!

YUM. These were soooo good and my son loved them as well.

I threw my potatoes, olive oil and herbs into a big Ziplock bag and just massaged the whole thing until the potatoes were coated. No oily hands and no dish to wash!

I’ll definitely be making these again. I didn’t even use/need the dip they were soooo good!

pigpigscorner says:

They look perfect! Mine always come out a bit charred.

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer says:

OK – I think I love you!! Ha Ha – I have wanted to try these again as I was not a big fan of the fry thing and my first baked attempt… well did not work so well. It must have been my irregular sizes…. Great dipping sauce as well !!

Farmgirl Susan says:

Found you via Tastespotting. These look delicious! : )

Melanie Charlton says:

How yum were these! We made two versions, one following your recipe and the other adding a little garlic love. Both were equally good, but the garlic gives just an additional kick.
    Two thumbs up!

Karenglad says:

Very, very nice recipe. We don’t use sweet potatoes much in Denmark – used ordinary potatoes – and oh it was goooood :-)
    Kærlig hilsen – Karen

Kevin says:

Great looking sweet potato fries!

Rebecca says:

Those look great! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

stephchows says:

These fries look amazing! I learned a trick from cooking light where you pour hot water over the sliced up potatoes and let them site for 10 minutes before you bake them… it totally helped the texture! Not the best picture on this post but here you go!

crafty lass says:

sweet potatoes or yams? i bought sweet potatoes(labeled as such) they are not orange like that? what have i got?
    i love sweet potatoe fries from mcmenamins too! (hard to get sometimes)

crafty lass- what color are they? White? You may have a mis-labeled yam on your hands!

Read the 2nd paragraph in this post for some info: http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/11/candied-coconut-topped-sweet-potatoes.html

betchacanteatjustone says:

I was going to avoid the grocery store today but now I want sweet potato fries!!
    I always have a hard time getting them crispy on the outside, I guess I'm steaming them? I'll have to give your meathod a try! YUM

CanuckDeb says:

I found this recipe when I "googled" sweet potato fries…and I am thrilled to find this amazing looking recipe and very cool site. The step-by-step, beautiful photos and funny preludes to the recipes really make this site a cut above the rest. I am hooked!

PrincessWilly says:

I found your site googling for something to do with these two sweet potatoes that have been sitting in my fridge for a week. I'm glad I did!

This recipe was amazing, and the flavors you selected mingled so well together. Thank you for this excellent knowledge, you're definitely getting added to my bookmarks :)

Tanyazhut says:

Thanks for the yummy recipe. My family loved them. I especially appreciated the detailed directions and pics.

Mimi aka pz5wjj says:

Oh those look so good! I've tried several times to make sweet potato fries and they ALWAYS end up soggy or burnt. Now I know the trick! found you by googling 'Sweet potato fries' and yours was first!

going to try this evening. Thanks for the pictures & step by step!

catinanapron says:

i'm trying yams AND sweet potatoes right now. the guy in the produce aisle said the white ones were DEFINITELY sweet potatoes, and the orange ones were yams. but i remembered the orange in your photos and got both. he said in the south they call yams sweet potatoes?!? craaazy. we'll see how they BOTH turn out!

Debbie says:

I just made these last night and they were wonderful! Super easy and SO good! Thank you for the recipe!

Hope says:

I made these over the weekend and they were excellent! I didn't use cumin & coriander because I was out and they didn't get crispy but they were still delicious!

Cristy says:

i never thought you could make crispy sweet potato fries in the oven -i'll have to give these a try! also -great dip! i'm featuring it in my post on sweet potato dips, check it out!

Carolyn Nash says:

Hubby asked for SP fries for Thanksgiving. This looks fantastic! Thanks for posting.

we are not sweet potato fans in our family–but we are wanting E to try more veggies, so we gave these a try! We all loved them! We'll definitely make them again! And next time I'll have to make the dip for me (the boys all use ketchup).

kamesha says:

So, I came to the site today to review the Diner-Style Fries recipe so that I could make them for dinner tonight and the Sweet Potato Fry Lover in me has taken over. I'll be making these TONIGHT! ;-) Guess I just use that bag of russets for mashed potatoes next week.

Oh boy, SP fries and lime dip HERE WE COME! YUUUMMMMYYY!!!

Una says:

I made these tonight and they turned out mushy. I was waiting for them to get crispy but it didn't happen. I ended up broiling them at the end and that helped a little bit. Any tips for getting them crispy? I cannot figure out where I went wrong with this one & I am desperate to figure it out because I love sweet potato fries. Thanks for the help.

Una- a few things:
    -make sure your fries aren't touching each other and that you don't have two pans on racks right next to each other or they will steam.

-cut them small and thin. The thicker they are the higher the chance they'll turn out mushy

-bake them longer. My guess is that they were underbaked. Even if you baked them as long as the recipe says, extend the time if they are still soft on the outside.

Also keep in mind that no matter what you do, a sweet potato fry will generally always be softer than a regular potato fry

triciaintexas says:

i love sweet potatoes, i usually bake them add butter and cinnamon! i wanted to try the fries and now that i have an easy recipe i will make them tomorrow!

Amanda'sLife says:

My sister-in-law turned me on to this site and I love it so far!

She brought the honey lime dip from this recipe over to my house the other day and I made sauteed tilapia and we drizzled the dip on top and it was EXCELLENT! Give it a try, you won't be sorry!

mocha says:

omg.
    one word.
    YUM!

thanks for posting this. we had some sp fries in the freezer that we thought were kinda blah. I made your dip (ok miracle whip and maple syrup instead of mayo and honey) but we loved it. polished off that bag of fries and now gonna make your recipe.

Jill's Comfort Zone says:

I made these for Thanksgiving 2008 and they were delish! My friend HoneyB sent me to your link! Awesome! Thanks!

bobbinis-kitchen.com says:

Wow. What a great idea to make fries out of sweet potatoes. Thank you for the inspiration.

kellyfayhope says:

I love your site! I found it recently and have already tried several recipes…all of which were delicious!! I've tried these sweet potato fries twice and while they still taste great, they're getting burnt before they get crispy. I cut them small and made sure they weren't touching or steaming…I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! Could I be cutting them too thin? Thanks!!!

Kelly,

hmm…ya you might try cutting them a tad thicker. Also, maybe your oven runs hot? You could try bumping the temp down just a bit or turning them more often. Hope that helps!

Grams says:

This is a great recipe for sweet potato fries! Simple, easy and they came out perfect. This is going on my regular rotation of recipes.

Jamison says:

Delicious! I found your site yestereday searching for rainbow cupcakes. I have read from your first post to your last and can't wait to start preparing some more of your recipes. Your pictures make the site! I appreciate seeing all of the steps. I will use your index to plan our meals for the week! Next on my list: Black Bean Soup! Yum! The sweet potato fries were fantastic! We eat them weekly, and yours is the recipe I will now use.

Matt says:

Best Sweet potato fries recipe I've found–and the dip is great!!

jamaicanfoodie says:

I made this today (minus the dip) and it was wonderful!! I had saved this recipe from a long time ago but just decided to make it today. Really good! The only thing I didn't do was to read the tips for cutting up sweet potatoes and so that was hard….

Analisha says:

I can't even tell you how much I appreciate the nutritional information on this recipe. I am on weight watchers and often look at that to see if it is worth making. Thanks for your great recipes.

Karen says:

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm searching for a sw. potato fry recipe to make, and yours looks the best! And you sure have the best photos.

I'm sure I'll mess with it (I can't leave anything alone) but thanks a ton for posting.

Tracy says:

Thanks for your step by step instructions. I've baked fries several times like this, but often get soggy results. I'm sure your extra pointers will solve my problems. Love all the pictures you take.

Lindsay says:

These were amaaazzing! :) I will definitely be making these again. But I definitely need to invest in a potato peeler, because all I had was a small little steak knife (i'm a college student, what can i say?) and peeling it alone took 15 minutes, and cutting them into thin little strips was another 15, plus I was a bit scared about cutting my fingers! With the right tools, I think I could whip these up in no time, though.

jmommy08 says:

I made these a few weeks ago and wanted to share this tidbit. I sliced the sweet potatoes a few days ahead of time and couldn't figure out if it would be better to bake and then freeze or freeze and then bake. So I split what I sliced in half. My tip: Slice and don't season – freeze. Pull out to defrost the morning of and then bake. They came out so YUMMY! The baked and frozen ones were just a little too over done – really crispy though – if you're into charcoal. :)

So do they not turn dark or anything when you put them in the freezer without being cooked at all first? Everything I’ve read about freezing sweet potato says to cook a little bit first. I’ll take your word for it though, thanks for the tip!

dbunk902 says:

I've always loved sloppy joes …. better than just a plain old hamburger any day! And leet's face it, who doesn't like to have a messy meal once in a while! It's a great way to extend a pound of hamburger too! It's like meatloaf – I don't want to eat it every week, but I love it a couple times a year!

Mindy says:

I know I'm late to this party, but I wanted to let you know that I make these whenever I get sweet potatoes from our CSA, and our whole family loves them! Thanks for sharing!

Elita says:

We make sweet potato oven fries once a week because there are antioxidants that you can only get from sweet potatoes and other orange veg like pumpkins and squash. Anyway, while I LOVE these oven fries I can never really get them to crisp up properly. Is it because my fries are too close together on the cookie sheet? Otherwise I am doing it exactly as you lay out here.

Elita- it might just be because they're sweet potatoes! They never get super crip. The best tips I have are cutting them really small and making sure they have space while baking, also baking long enough. Good luck!

dancemom says:

This recipe looks really good and I am planning on making it tonight. However, I am not sure if I am missing this information – I can't find the serving size anywhere. Could you post that or point it out? Thanks.

Dancemom- I'd say 4-6

teacher.mom says:

I think I checked all your comments to make sure no one already asked this: When you have 'coriander' in your list of ingredients, do you mean cilantro (an herb), or coriander (a spice)? (I'm thinking cilantro, but want to make sure…

coriander the spice. If we ever call for the herb, we say cilantro :)

christy says:

Yummm! Made these for dinner this weekend along with the french dip recipe, what a great combo! I have only had SP fries from a restaurant (The Keg) before, these were as good if not better. Will definitely add them to my list of repeats. I didn't make the dip tho, just enjoyed them on their own.

I may have cut mine a bit thinner as I didn't need to cook for the suggested time.

sarahworldcook says:

Thanks for the great-looking recipe. Can't wait to try them. I love sweet potato fries and would like to make them baked instead of fried.

Sarah L. says:

I just have to say how much I LOVE these fries and Honey-Lime Dip.
    The dip is WONDERFUL! Hope these make it into your next cookbook. You gals keep me coming back for more. Let’s not forget the great part about helping other not to forget how to cook from scratch.

Ashlee G. says:

I have tried several of your recipes, and all were great!! I am wondering though on these sweet potato fries, when it asks for parsley and oregano does that mean dry or fresh? Thanks for all the wonderful recipes!!!

olivia says:

I made these tonight. SO ADDICTIVE. They are perfect!!!! I’ve never had sweet potato fries before because every resteraunt that has them and every frozen variety (pre-made) I’ve seen are always coated in flour. but I can eat these as they are sans gluten! Woohoo! I can’t believe what I’ve been missing out on!

Absolutely can’t wait to try this recipe! Thank you for all the great instructions and photos. The Weight Watcher info is much appreciated as well! Sharing this post with my fans on FB.

Cheers!
    Jenn/Rook No. 17

I love sweet potato fries and I love saying Sweet Potato Fries even more. I can’t believe you lived in Portland and didn’t have them at Burgerville. The dipping sauce looks amazing cant wait to try that next time.

Kristie says:

This looks outrageously delicious. I love the whole “tricking the kids” thing too! :D

Geri says:

I found your site today! I will try several recipes-on a gluten free diet and
    no sugar/no flour too. Your recipes seem very adaptable-I will try the chicken
    taquitos using corn tortillas. Please specify if the sweet potato fries
    seasonings are ‘ground’ or ‘leaves’. Do you mean ground cumin, dried oregano
    leaves, ground coriander and dried, or fresh parsley??
    Thanks! I’ve been drooling over your recipes all day!

Honestly Geri, it doesn’t matter. Use whatever you have! In my pantry I generally use ground cumin, oregano leaves, ground coriander, and parsley leaves. Enjoy!

lauralee says:

Thanks Sara for posting a “South Beach Friendly” recipe. What other recipes on your site would you put in the same category?

Dana says:

Love this recipe – I’ve made it probably a dozen times in the past 6 months! I like mine with a little bit of seasoned salt and some paprika, though. I also throw in some Tony Cachere’s creole seasoning. the seasoning provides just enough spice for me – it’s delicious! :)

garysgirl says:

Hey Sara. :) Me and a friend have both made these and they didn’t ever crisp up! :/ My friends were like mush she said (although she commented that the flavor was good), and although mine weren’t actual mush, they just weren’t crispy. Do you have any suggestions as to why this might be?? Help! :)

Well for starters, sweet potatoes will never be as crispy as regular fries- they just can’t be that way. The closest you can get is when they are deep fried, but even then they’re a bit softer. The only thing that improves the crispy factor is cutting them very thin and making sure to cook them long enough. Hope that helps!

Heidi German says:

Mine were soggy too. :( I couldn’t have cooked them longer because they started to burn. I’m going to give them another try, and use the blanching method a previous person suggested. I know with regular potato fries you can soak them first to get some of the starch out so maybe that will help! Even soggy, they still tasted yummy! Loved the blend of spices.

Carie says:

All of my friends love when I make these and they have asked if I could make them for a BBQ this weekend. Do you know if you can cut the sweet potatoes ahead of time? Or will they go brown like potatoes? I would love to take them already cut up and just have to throw them in the oven. Any suggestions?

Stephanie says:

Trader Joes sells sweet potatoes already cut up!! now you guys have no excuse not to make these delicious fries!!

Joy K. says:

I’m eating your fries right now, and they are astounding! The only sub I had to make was because I’m unexpectedly out of cumin, since I wasn’t expecting to spill the whole jar. I subbed in smoked paprika, and it’s a huge hit. Thanks for this recipe. It’s an immediate favorite.

Thanks also for the picture showing how you sliced the sweet potatoes–that really helped in the preparation.

Tiffany says:

What is T and t mean?

Michelle Lubbers says:

Hey there! I found your recipe on Pinterest, and I am laughing because I have the same long spatula from Pampered Chef. Now I have a great use for a utensil that often is forgotten. Thanks for the recipe, we lurve sweet potato fries.

XXOO

Michelle

kaitlyn says:

Making these right now. I just combined the all the ingredients into a ziplock baggie and shook them up. I didn’t add quite as much olive oil. We will see how they turn out. It took me about 10 minutes!

tonis says:

very nice im going to try soon thanks

tonis says:

very nice im going to try soon thanks

kariotakis

Joan says:

Maybe u could hide the oven temp a little lower on the page next time

Holly says:

Could you sub plain yogurt for plain sour cream?

Daniel says: