Posted in Cookies, Sara
Everyone has their ultimate cookie. Some like them soft and gooey, some like them thin and crispy, I like mine soft but chewy: crisp on the outside, soft in the center with a nice chewy texture. Cookies have different results in different conditions (altitude, humidity, etc.) so it’s not a bad idea to try a few to find one that works best for you. For example, Kate has a fabulous chocolate chip cookie recipe as well. I have a couple recipes that I love and I make them depending on the type of cookie I’m craving. This particular cookie is a chewy, bakery style one and for me, it lived up to its expectations! My husband even said this was “the one.”

The recipe is from Cook’s Illustrated and I’ve wanted to try it for a long time because it’s different than most chocolate chip cookie recipes. Cook’s Illustrated is an awesome resource and if you’ve ever watched America’s Test Kitchen you know that they seriously test every factor possible when coming up with a recipe. I think they tried 40 different variations when coming up with the best chewy cookie.

I was going to try to be a food scientist and tell you why the interesting things in the recipe make for a good cookie, but I’ll let Cook’s Illustrated tell you. Here’s how they explain it:

Most cookies start with creamed butter. Creaming incorporates air into the dough, resulting in an undesirable (in these cookies) lightness. Our thoughts sifted to chewy brownies and blondies, both of which typically begin with melted butter. We tried both creamed and melted butter and found that melted butter did indeed give us the dense, chewy texture that we were after.

We turned to the one factor that we hadn’t yet fully examined–the egg factor–and found that one whole egg plus one egg yolk keeps the cookies soft and pliable hours after emerging from the oven. Also, cooling the cookies directly on the cookie sheet promotes the soft, chewy texture. Finally, we had a thick, chewy chocolate-chip cookie that could rival any gourmet bakery’s.

For me, they certainly did. I’m going to be making these again and again.

As a side note, I think my cookies were especially good because I used eggs fresh from the farm- aren’t they cool looking? Some of them are green! I’m a city girl, so I thought green eggs were really cool. You can stop laughing now.

Start by melting your butter and setting it aside to cool a bit.

Then mix up your dry ingredients

Measure out your sugars and then pour the melted butter over them.

After it’s mixed well, add in the eggs

and the vanilla.  Yes, I just pour it like that.  A little extra vanilla never hurt anyone!

Then in goes the flour mixture

Mix, mix, mix…

Once it’s mixed, in goes the chips.  Add toasted nuts here if your little heart desires.

Here’s something interesting about the next step.  From CI, ” Form scant 1/4 cup dough into ball. Holding dough ball using fingertips of both hands, pull into two equal halves. Each half will have a jagged surface where it was ripped from the other; rotate each half up so the jagged surface faced the ceiling and press the halves back into one ball so that the top surface remains jagged. (The nooks and crannies you have created will give the baked cookies an attractive and somewhat rough, uneven appearance.) Place formed dough onto one of two parchment paper-lined cookie sheets, about 9 balls per sheet”

You got that? So it looks something like this:

Bake ‘em up

And place on a cooling rack.  I’ve learned you can underbake them by quite a bit because they set up well and get more crisp around the edges as they cool.  So don’t wait for them to get browned, just set.

Eat at least one warm.  Or two.  Or  lots.

Steph says:

I’ve made this recipe so many times. I think it has the best flavour because of all the brown sugar. The only problem is.. there is so much moisture that the edges don’t stay crisp!

HoneyB says:

I like my cookies any way but Grumpy loves them chewy!

Danielle says:

We love Cooks Illustrated here. Everything we have made from there has been divine!

Cafe Johnsonia says:

That is my absolute favorite recipe for chocolate chip cookies ever. I like it with dark brown sugar. They are so chewy. And they never last long around our house.

Lynn says:

I LOVE this recipe. I have adapted it some, even tried it with part whole wheat flour. I make the basic version of this all the time.But I agree, I just use my cookie scoop when I make them.

Ellen says:

It is too funny, that last night I made some CC cookies and they turned out flat and not too appetizing. This morning I was talking to my husband and said, “that’s why I never make CC cookies because they turn out like this, I don’t know what to do.” He responded, “Maybe you need a new recipe.” So I thought I would hop on over to your site to see if I could locate a recipe and usually some tips or tricks on technique, Then VIOLA! That was today’s post — I am thinking I was meant to be a great cookie maker after all. It’s fate! I can’t wait to try these out!

Sara says:

How funny Ellen, we must be in snyc! I hope you like these. Check out the other chocolate chip cookie recipe we have posted on our site too- it’s fantastic as well. Now that you’ve got 2 good ones, you’ll never make flat cookies again!

Who Knew . . . says:

What?! Farm eggs are colored? I knew there were white and brown but green and pink and other pastel colors? The picture looks like you colored them for Easter.

becca says:

Mmmmm these look amazing! I love the colorful eggs, too. Were you still at home when I was working at Kelsey Creek? They had the coolest chickens that laid all sorts of colored and speckled eggs. I used to bring home the really neat ones and blow them out to use as Easter decorations. They would be awesome as chocolate filled eggs, too!

Crystal says:

When we make cookies at our house we call it “warm dough”. I love them barely cooked an doughy. That is if the ever make it to the oven.

{lindy baker cakes} says:

I love these cookies! This is my favorite chocolate chip recipe.

Lindsay says:

Oh no, I’m torn! After I tried Kate’s recipe (the first recipe I ever tried from here and the one that fully converted to your blog), I swore I would never use another chocolate chip cookie recipe! But, now, I guess I’ll have to be unfaithful and try this one out–it’s just too tempting.

So what would you say the difference is between these recipes? I mean, in the results, of course.

LollyChops says:

mmmmmm cookies.

So these colored eggs are normal? Is it because of what the chickens are fed????

Chef E says:

I like the green egg comment, I did not know what they were until culinary school, since I did not boil eggs often enough, but the cookies rock!

Holly Dart says:

Chocolate Chip Cookies are my favorite treat. Up until now, sara, you and I have been like food soul mates, but I find this recipe…well, abominable. I made it only once.

surprising from the test kitchen, but I thought these cookies needed more salt and the texture just wasn’t right to me. Even worse, I could taste the extra egg yolk in there, which was weird.

I swear by the New York Times cookie recipe from july 2008. To me, it is perfection! apparently, perfection is in the eye of the beholder!

Erin says:

My stomach is totally growling. I might be out of eggs right now…drat!

Sara says:

Holly- I’ve yet to try the NYT recipe. It’s been in my file for months. I kind of resisted since it was so ‘trendy’ in food blogger world. Stupid, I know! And how on earth can you taste an egg yolk?? You must have some sort of super sense! Hopefully we can find a way to still be food soul mates, haha.

Lindsay, like I said, I think chocolate chip cookies are completely about preference. I think the main difference is that this cookie is chewier. The margarine in Kate’s make them a bit softer all around and the full butter in this recipe gives a crispier outside/edge (the centers are still really soft though). They definitely have a chewier texture over all though, so if you love Kate’s, then this one might not be the texture you like. But there’s only one way to find out! Do you really *need* an excuse to try cookies? haha

Bunny says:

I made these and didn’t have any luck with them, they didn’t turn out the way yours did!

Kate says:

So I want to try this RIGHT NOW but . . . do I have to use parchment paper? I have those heavy pans mentioned in Kate’s recipe that I usually use. I don’t have any parchment paper. Though a trip to the store at 10 o’clock at night isn’t entirely unwarranted in the case of a pregnant mama with a craving, is it?

Kate says:

Wow, this seems to be quite the divisive cookie! I will have to try it and weigh in…I have to say my cc cookie recipe hasn’t been the same since we moved. I’m not sure if it’s the humidity or the elevation or just an all-around sense of evil, but I’m not happy about it.

Oh, and Who Knew? Seriously, this very morning I was thinking, “Hey, what ever heppened to her?! Did she stop reading our blog??” I’m glad you’re still here! :)

Sara says:

Kate- no I wouldn’t make a trip to the store just for parchment. I bet your pans work just fine!

Everyone-
    I mentioned in my post that cookies just turn out different for so many reasons. What may be the “perfect” cookie for someone somewhere may be a total flop for someone else. I had recipes I loved in Seattle that just don’t work here in Idaho. I tried Alton’s Brown recipe, which I’ve heard a lot of people rave about and they turned out horrid. And don’t even get me started on the Tollhouse recipe. So who knows- this may be “the one” for some people (like my husband!) and not for others.

I only have one other recipe that I use a lot and love and I think at some point I may post that one too. It’s been a “no-fail” for me. If anyone wants it, you’re welcome to email me to get it!

Jane Johnson says:

Sara, I would really like your other chocolate chip cookie that you mention in this comment. I too have a difficult time with getting the cc cookies to be crisp on the edges and chewy (but cooked) on the inside. I really enjoy your website sooo much! Always look forward to your emails. Thanks! Jane

drewy88 says:

I’ve made this cookie, and it is definitely a keeper!! I value the same cookie qualities as you do – crispy exterior and chewy center. Melted button and brown sugar seem to do the trick. My cookies do not come out as thin as yours… not sure why. I think I would prefer thinner cookies. Alton’s also worked very well for me, though they were also relatively thick.

Kate says:

Alrighty, you’ve convinced me. I’m starting them, even though we’re now going on midnight. And I’d love to get you started on the Tollhouse recipe. It boggles my mind. It worked great in Virginia. Upon moving to Utah, I produced nothing but flat horribleness. I still can’t make them work here in Texas, but my husband can–he refrigerates the dough overnight. I don’t have time for that.

The Food Librarian says:

I’m a city girl too so I’m in awe of those eggs! :) These cookies look so delicious!

Eric says:

Best chocolate cookies ever!

Shannon says:

This is quit similar to my cc recipe I use but it is a whole egg rather than the yolk. I will have to try this. I also enjoy doing mine with m&m's. So yummy! You did a good job with your post. For a minute I thought I was watching Good Eats.

Hillary says:

Whoa – I had no idea eggs came in so many different colors. How is that possible? Your cookies look great and I bet they did taste better because of their farm fresh eggs.

Hillary
    Chew on That

Oh YUM!

That last picture is the best. . .

Malesa says:

Thanks for putting on a print recipe link. That’s awesome. It saves me from having my laptop open in the kitchen (which is a stupid thing for me to do)since I’m too lazy to just write it down.

☾ Ash ♡ says:

Those eggs are cool!!!
    Great.. I give up chocolate for Lent and you’ve got the perfect recipe for chocolate chip cookies.. just a few more weeks to go and then I’ll try them out :)

☾ Ash ♡ says:

Those eggs are cool!!!

Gabe's Girl says:

I love using fresh eggs! I am copying and printing your recipe to use right now. Will let you know how they turn out.

Gabe's Girl says:

Okay, so I just tried this recipe and my dough looks nothing like yours. It turned out very gooey looking. I think because my “warm” butter may not have been warm at all, but a little more than warm. I am putting it in the freezer to harden. Always second chances!

Kate says:

Mmmm. These are perfect. PERFECT.

I didn’t use all the batter that night so I just tried them today after it was refrigerated and they are still perfect. Even after a few hours in an air-tight dish, still soft and chewy!

Tricia says:

I made these cookies and didn’t tell my family it was a new recipe and my husband commented that these were the best chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever made, needless to say there weren’t any leftover for the next day :( Thanks for the recipe!!

TuTu's Bliss says:

I heard from Gabe’s that you have great recipes. I am trying to make Starbuckish almond toffee bars do you have any tips? Do you love them too and already have a toffee bar creation, could I be so lucky?

Ellen says:

OK, so I made the cookies yesterday, and they are AMAZING! YUM! I wrote at the top of this recipe, “it’s a great one!” The kids were impressed and my husband even wanted to take some to work! YEAH!

Betsy says:

Is there any way you have this recipe in some metric form? I’m from the states, but I’m currently in Austria. :( I miss American food so badly, but using a coffee cup and soup spoon aren’t cutting it as measuring tools. (As evidenced by my chewy pancakes.)
    And they don’t have cookies here. At least not this delicious kind.

Nar_Meow says:

I tried it… and YUM! The only thing is, I think that there’s too much butter. Yeah, I know… how can there ever be too much butter… but I think 1 stick was enough. They were soooo soft though. YUM! Absolutely loved, and so did the fam.

nicole says:

I have always been really bad at making CC cookies, but this recipe made me look like a pro! Very delicious, even my picky hubby loved them. Thank you so much!

Lisa says:

Finally got around to trying these and they are my new favorite! Yummy!

Jenny says:

I find it interesting that this recipe was taken from the Cook’s Illustrated one, because there’s one appreciable different; this one contains nearly a cup more flour than the Cook’s one, and that turns out to be the difference between a moist, delicious cookie, and a cookie that leaves globs of grease on your fingers when you touch it and might clog all your major arteries. I followed that Cook’s recipe to the letter and the cookies were gross! 1 3/4 stick butter to 1/34 cup flour??? Never again. Thank God I found this recipe and turned it all around. I made them exactly as suggested and they came out perfect. Thanks so much!!!

Hayley says:

WOW! These cookies turned out perfect even in my very funky Bosnian oven. I also had to use Muscavado brown sugar (its all I can find here) thats really dark which I am not a huge fan of at all, but they were still delicious. I just ate one for breakfast (Shhh!) and I thought for sure since it was the day after and I had just left them sitting on the counter all night that they would be all crispy, but no…it was AMAZING! Still so chewy and moist. I couldn’t believe it. Thanks for a fantastic recipe once again.

Shelbie says:

Can I just say how much this recipe failed for me?

Yours look so BEAUTIFUL! I was actually excited on my way home from school today to start these cookies because I knew my mom had gone to the store to get chocolate chips.

But once I had mixed all the ingredients, exactly how I was supposed to, the dough was very sticky(I guess from the melted butter?) and hard to work with. So I added about 1/3 cup more flour, but it was still pretty sticky. And after they were baked, they lacked the attractive brown color that yours had, so they seemed undercooked, yet the edges weren’t crispy–they were rock hard! The center was soft and chewy as promised, but the edges were extremely messed up.

Where did I go wrong? :(

Ah Shelbie, that stinks! I wonder what happened…I can only think that something had to have been measured wrong because that shouldn’t have happened!

chloex3lizabeth says:

i was just searching around for some recipes &&i picked yours(=

i mean they look delicious; but i'd like to see how the other from CI turned out too.
    i guess i could just try some when i bake them, lol.
    nvm then, ill bb for an update on how they were!

chloex3lizabeth says:

okaie, so those were reallie great cookies! my brother didnt like the cookie dough, but i thought it was fantastishh! =D

when i put the cookies on the sheet i did them both ways you wrote about; i took pics of them afterwards to put on here but it wont let me put it in a comment =/

anywhoo, my mom &&i liked the normal ones while my brother liked the ridges on top. so now imma have to make them both ways, lol; alreadie having to make chocolate chip dough &&whatever my dad wants in a smaller portion of dough [like white chocolate or butterscotch chips], so its a lotta work!! but soo worth it!! =D

when the alarm went off i was just itching to eat those cookies! when i took them out i knew i shoulda waited to put the cookies onto the rack, but i couldnt! lol. luckily onlie one cookie broke – &&just a littlie bit! i was hoping more would brake off so i could burn my mouth with its goodness, haha. well when i ate that little piece of cookie without a chip, it tasted kinda sugar cookieish; which is a plus with mi familia(=

good recipe! DEFF using it again.

Kelly11 says:

I made these cookies- and they were the best choc chip cookies I have ever had. They are very chewy, but that's what I love about them! Just perfect.

Stacie says:

YIPEE!!! now i finally have the PERFECT chocolate chip cookie recipe! i've never been successful with chocolate chip cookies for some reason. it's been completely frustrating! but these turned out PERFECT and they are the TYPE of cookie that i love. texture is to die for! thank you thank you thank you! i feel like i've found the pot of gold!

CrAzY JaY says:

So, after reading all the commotion for the other Choc. Chip Cookie about high altitude, vs, sea level, this cookie was made by Sara, who is in Utah, and so it should work at high altitude??? Do I have everything straight?

Crazy Jay- haha, hard to keep everything straight, right?! I'm in Idaho at about 2,900 feet so a little lower than Utah.

CrAzY JaY says:

SO, probably not high altitude? What do you think? I am in Wyoming at @ 6380 ft….. adjustments or not?

tiffany.rice says:

These are, without a doubt, the BEST chocolate chip cookies I have ever tasted! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for this recipe!

Rochelle says:

They are delicious! I added some dried cherries and used chocolate chunks instead of regular chips. divine. I am up here in the Seattle area and I had to cook them for 2-3 more minutes than the recipe called for, but no biggie. They are DELICIOUS! Thanks for a new favorite! I finally found a recipe I can do right! My sister in law has an amazing recipe that I seem to mess up all the time, here is to "my" new cookie!
    Thanks!

Jones says:

I have made this recipe twice now in the last week. I have a 'party' I'm going to tonight and I was positive I wanted to bring these cookies ….SOOOOO good!

Shari B. says:

These ROCK! Mine came out perfect and looked like they came from a professional bakery! Used parchment paper, and cookie scoop to mold the cookie dough! YUMMY!

Laura says:

these tasted delicious, but they didn't turn a pretty brown or flatten like yours. Not sure why?! My husband raved about them–thanks!

Lindsay says:

These turned out perfectly! Once again, you guys have blown me away by the amazingness of your recipes. I shared these cookies with one of my best friends, my boyfriend, and my roommate. They all loved them.

Lindsay says:

And, by the way, I live in Arizona. Surprisingly, no altitude problems or alterations.

Emily Horrocks says:

I was scared to make this recipe because every batch of CCs I make turns out terrible, but I nailed this on my first shot! I gave them away to ladies from church who both said they thought I bought them from a bakery!
    Also I think this recipe trumps my MILs, whose recipe my DH swears by.
    I am tempted to make more today! (And I made 2 batches yesterday_)

nika the mad baker says:

I have been on this never ending search for the perfect chocolate chip cookie and vioa-la. I found it! i should've known it wouldn't disappoint, i made the mint frosted brownies on here and those were terrific too! I added 1 c pecans bc my friend ordered them that way. These were insane! i dont there's any left and i just made them last night too!

Bournes says:

LOVE this recipe!! I live in Maryland sea level and I didn't have to make any alterations at all. They were perfect. I've actually made quite a few of your recipes and I've loved them all!! Thanks for the wonderful recipes.

Lor says:

What do you mean by moving the racks to upper and lower middle positions? Which of those two do you suggest baking the cookies… both? Two trays at the same time? I'm sure the recipe would work with one tray at a time on either, but I was just wondering.

Lor, that just means if you bake 2 sheets at a time, put them both in the center of your oven. You just don't want to use the very top, or the very bottom rack. Does that make sense?

Lor says:

Thanks Sara! I've never baked 2 sheets of cookies at a time, successfully. They were a hit last night, and are nearly gone now! Chewy yumminess! I learned to trust that even if they aren't browning by the 13 minutes maximum, take them out anyway if you want them chewy! Your recipe IS 'the one' for us!

Asia says:

Amazing! This is "the one" for me!

Venus says:

I have been searching for the perfect CC cookie recipe from the time I started baking thirty years ago with my grandmother. This one has become the ONLY one I use since I found it on the Sur La Table website a few years ago. I do one thing differently, though. Extensive taste "research" led me to refrigerating my dough for 36-48 hours instead of baking it right away. After chilling, I let it sit at room temp until scoopable and then bake away. Letting the dough rest allows the flavor to develop fully and gives the cookies a richer taste. Try it and you'll never bake immediately again!

The Harris Family says:

Oh, goodness. This is quite possibly the best CC cookie recipe EVER! The dough was odd to work with…I'm used to using softened butter and having the dough be more, well, dough-like. But holy cow, were they delicious! I made one addition…added a little bit of decaf instant coffee granules. Weird, yes, but they add a great richness to the cookies! Well done, the perfect chewy cookie!

SuzSpeaks says:

YUM! I just made these.. infact the last batch is in the oven. I've already had two! I'm very picky about my cookies and rarely bake. I have an amazing oatmeal chocolate chip recipe but we're out of oatmeal! We're snowed in here in OK today and these are perfect to add to the day! Thank you so much!

randumbredhead says:

So I made these today for dessert and I think I've made myself sick <eatting the batter, plus 3 nice and gorgeous and warm lovely cookies. A bowl of spaghetti and meatballs and an enormous amout of chocolate chip cookies/batter, do not go together!! My goodness I think I'm going to pop!!!

Ann says:

I honestly don't know why I tried this recipe because I love my recipe. But I was curious about the melted butter, I didn't love the dough (which is good because it means there are cookies to eat) but the cookies are scrumptious! Truly.

Anna says:

My husband is a cookie monster and I have tried many chocolate chip cookie recipes. He’ll eat any cookie but I haven’t always been happy with the recipes I’ve tried. In search of a new chocolate chip cookie recipe I searched your site and tired this one. It’s perfect! I love the flavor – the strong vanilla taste, the perfect amount of salt, the carmel-y taste from all the brown sugar. I love the texture. I have made this recipe twice already – which has allowed us to have fresh-baked cookies every night! They’re addictive!

rein laroya says:

The kids really like it. I’ve been making this type of chocolate chip cookies for months now and they still asked me to make it every week.

Brittany P says:

SO GOOD!!!!! I can’t wait for my husband to try them. GREAT flavor and texture! You gals are the best!

Arika says:

These are the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever had. The whole batch lasted only 2 days at our house!

Chantel says:

Thank you so much for this recipe! I made these for my husband last night and he LOVED them! He also felt like this recipe was THE CC cookie recipe. I also have purchased your cook book and I absolutely love it! Thanks for sharing your talents and tasty recipes!

Lisa says:

Thank you so much for sharing this tasty recipe! I was so excited to try it and it lived up to all the hype! :) I am definitely going to make these again and again. I used half wheat flour and white. They turned out perfect! Thanks again! :)

Jasmin says:

I have never made chocolate chip cookies before by myself and I saw these and thought I would give it a try… My friend from home makes cookies and they’re okay but these were AMAZING. I am in college and am on a very tight budget being out of state and everything but all your recipes look perfect, so I spend my money on food instead of anything else. I cannot wait to try everything. Thanks!

Jessica says:

I live in New Zealand and tried these cookies and they didn’t work out (because of sea level and humidity, I think). So after 4 attempts I finally figured out how to make them chewy and gooey at sea level. I took different suggestions from your different recipes and here is what worked for me. So I did 10T melted butter and 2T shortening and mixed really well with the sugars. I also added 1/4-1/2 cup more flour to this. When I used the recipe amount for flour it didn’t work where I live. Maybe this will help those that live at sea level. Thanks for the yummy recipe! :)

Samantha says:

Wow I made these last night and 6 of them got gobbled up by my boyfriend before I even got to put them on the cooling rack. This is amazing as my boyfriend doesnt usually eat sweet things so I could not beleive my eyes. Oh and the tip about splitting them in half and leaving the rough side up worked perfectly :)

Alyssa says:

Best cookies ever! I have made them several times, but today they were better than ever. They might just be the death of me.

Charlotte Olsen says:

I usually have difficulties making perfect CC cookies because the altitude is so high in Idaho! But these cookies turned out amazing!

Tiffany says:

I just made these, sooooo yum! My whole family including the little girl growing in my belly agree!

Camie says:

Ok I admit I was skeptical. Every Choc. Chip cookie recipe I have ever made with butter they are flat, hideous cookies (like tollhouse). Even while mixing it wasn’t looking like it was going to work. Then…the timer went off and voila! The cookies were NOT flat they were beautiful little chocolate chip cookies sent from heaven. Ok maybe not sent from heaven but you know what I mean! They turned out PERFECTLY! Thank you!

Amy says:

I was afraid the cookies wouldn’t turn out because of melting the butter. They turned out perfect. The cookies were gone before the day was over. Another great recipe! We have chickens and so I was able to use fresh eggs as well! The colored eggs are pretty neat.

txkatherine says:

Tried these today! I made the base recipe as instructed, then split the dough in half (one half used semi-sweet chips and the other milk choc chips). Then each half, I baked 2 different ways. The first was the tear and bake as given in the recipe. The second way was 1/4 scoop, place on parchment tray and refrigerate for 20 mins, then bake. Although in the end these were not my favorite CC cookie (blander outside, inside like a blondie and too much vanilla), I would recommend the milk chocolate, scoop and refrigeration method. The cookies are much prettier and more uniform. I had no trouble with recipe as written and couldn’t begin to tell you my elevation ;). Btw, even though these are not my favorites, I had no problem eating them! Thank you for your site!!

Jody says:

Just made these today…. My hubby said they were the best cookies Ive ever made! (Not that that says much ;)) But I am glad to find a cookie recipes I dont ruin! yay!

Megan says:

I was so excited about these…maybe too excited because I “read” 1 1/2 c. butter… not sticks… double butter…BAD COOKIES. Will attempt again.

Megan says:

Second attempt was WONDERFUL… I was a little worried because I doubled it and didn’t have enough eggs, but 2 eggs and 1 yolk worked fine. delicious :)

Paula B. says:

Am making these now – first visit to your site, was in need (!) of a new c.c. cookie recipe. Mine came out more golden looking than yours and seemed to spread more but the taste is superb. Such a flavorful cookie and mixed up so easily. Will try these again soon with other add-ins. And I’ll be stopping back for more yummy recipes.

Brooke says:

I don’t know if anyone is still checking out this old post, but I must say that this cookie was fantastic! I just made them, literally, the first batch just came out of the oven. I am chewing one as I type. They are moist, and chewy, and absolutely perfect! Thank you thank you! No more Nestle recipe for me!

Moosa says:

These cookies look divine!!! One question though.. is it possible to use this recipe to make freezable cookie dough logs for baking at a later stage? Thanks for all the GREAT recipes! Everyday Cinnamon rolls are a family favorite!

You can with most cookie doughs, although I have frozen these before and the texture is not nearly as good as they are fresh.

LA says:

I”ve used this recipe multiple times, and every single time they turn out great! At my house, we usually save half the dough just to eat raw (sometimes because it tastes better than baked cookies) but, with this recipe, it tastes good no matter what!!!!!

Rochelle stephenson says:

Finally!!!! A cc cookie recipe that creates my ideal cc cookie!!! Thank you, they are amazing!!

Robin says:

Any idea why these cookies burned 8 minutes in? http://picplz.com/user/hismuse/pic/hmvhj/

Oh Robin- I think the title of your picture says it all, lol! I’m sorry, burnt cookies are no laughing matter :) It definitely looks like you’re oven is not cooking evenly or at the right temp because the bottoms are totally burnt while the tops don’t look very done. Did you follow the recipe exactly? I only ask because the cookies don’t look exactly like they should- they look like they have too much flour, did you add any extra? Might just be the photo though. Another thing you could try is using parchment paper, or a lighter aluminum pan. Often those dark pans heat up more and overcook things like cookies. I hope some of that helps- how frustrating!

Robin says:

They did come out really soft so he wasn’t able to shape them right, I thought he followed the directions right but then again I read most of it too him while he was in the kitchen. We’re thinking of getting some Airbake cookie sheets.

Esha says:

I just made these and they turned out AMAZING!! thanks for a great recipe!

Nancy says:

I just want to say how much I enjoy your site and I love how your personalty shows through everything you do, Some are rather humorous and makes me smile, I just made these cookies and I have to agree they are addicting I think I have already had 4 All I can say is get the milk and thank you!

Amy says:

Super yummy cookies, my husband loves them! I tried them with margarine first and they came out super sticky. I then used butter and they turned out perfect! So to all those people saying they are too sticky, be sure you are using butter. Thanks for the great recipe!

Jennine Watson says:

Those eggs look so pretty like pastel Easter eggs. These sound delicious so I am going to try this recipe today. Thanks!

Jennine Watson says:

Do these work well in high-altitudes (i.e. Utah) like Kate’s recipe?

Jennine Watson says:

Made them. So easy and the yummiest chocolate chip cookies ever! Everyone devoured them. Love the idea for putting them on the pan, too. :-)

The dough is delicious and the cookie… Even better

Vicky T says:

Yum, I will try them out today. Those might be the ones Santa gets from our children on Christmas, ha. Thanks.

Kelly says:

Tried your recipie and kates recipie today, both turned out great. I had people do a blind taste test and reviews were split right down the middle! It really depends on how you like your cookies. Everyone who did my little taste test said these ones were denser and chewier than the others. Hit it right on the nose! Thanks fo the recipie!

Sky says:

Yay Im going to try these this afternoon and take them over to eat at with a bunch of friends! They look great!!! Best recipe yet! Sky xox

~Sky~ says:

THEY LOOK DEEEEEELISSSHHHH!!!

Havnt had a good soft & chewy CC cookie since agezzzz!!
    CANT WAIT TO BAKE EM UP!!

~Sky~ says:

Hi again…
    Just wanted to say I have been trying to make chewy delish cookies for a long time but they never ever turn out just right….:( Im gonna try these soon so Im really really excited!

~Sky~ says:

*YUMMY*

~Sky~ says:

approx. 36 choc chip cookies :)

Erica M says:

Just used your recipe…pERFECT! they always flatten out a little in high altitude but still just as tasty!

Kristin says:

The nice thing about these cookies is that you don’t have to remember to set out the butter ahead of time, since you end up melting it. The dough is indeed stickier than what I’m used to, but I just put what didn’t fit on the first cookie sheet in the fridge to harden a little. These cookies are really good! Thanks for the recipe :)

Annie says:

I bake a lot of cookies, and am always willing and eager to try a new variation of chocolate chip cookies. My family told me that these were the best cookies I have ever made!

beth says:

I love your site. Thanks!

Nickie Carter says:

I am always looking for the better CC Cookie recipe! Actually, I had been searching for a few years for a wonderful sugar cookie recipe, when last month your post on sugar cookies and icing sent me right to the kitchen… I was not disappointed one bit! They were wonderful! I haven’t been disappointed yet with any recipe I have tried (or craft for that matter…LOVE the Tulle Wreaths.. I have made three now) so I will be trying this one for CC as they are my partners fav! Oh, and those Green and Blue Eggs… that look like Easter… they come from an Americana Hen. We started our own back yard flock this last year, and she is our favorite… but ALL the fresh eggs, for whatever we use eggs for, only come from our hens…THEY ARE AMAZING! Thanks for all your posts! LOVE THEM!

Myra says:

this cookie recipie sounds great.I think I will have to try it this week. As my husband loves chocolate chip cookies , and has my aunt bring him some back from Australia each year . They are soft and chewy and melt in your mouth. Sounds like this recipie might just fit the bill.

Cindy says:

Simply awesome!

sheena says:

Would love to win this the cookie recipe looks divine!

Jan Crills says:

I have off tomorrow am & now I know what I’m going to do.
    Can’t wait to see how mine turn out :)

Christine says:

Can’t wait to try these and the multi-grain bread!

Bev says:

I LOVE cookbooks–the more, the better!! Bring on the new one!!!

sandy Elijah says:

I love chocolate chip cookies- any way shape or form but these are great!

Sue Mackey says:

I love Cook’s Illustrated too. They are so beautiful, have yummy recipes and they are so informative. I love your website! Thanks for all your hard work. I gave my daughters (and myself) OBB calendars for Christmas. :)

Karene says:

I need this cookbook!

Staci says:

Oh, these are my favorite, too! I’ve been making them since the recipe first appeared! In fact, I have about 3 dozen in the freezer right now.

Suzanne says:

So I have made these several times and now have figured a few things out:

- The original recipe from CI says to break the 1/4 cup of dough in half and then squish those two halves together. These make really big cookies (although that didn’t stop me from downing 3 out of the oven…) so I would stick with Sara’s way and just do the halves

- Oddly enough, the dough seems to work better mixing by hand (don’t know why?!) but the good news is it is really easy to mix by hand

- The dough usually seems runny even after mixing in the flour, but by the time you measure out the choc chips and dump them in it is more dough-like. Still really sticky, but more like cookie dough. Like Sara said, DO NOT ADD MORE FLOUR! Chill or just have faith that sticky = chewy

- I am in Utah, and even after chilling or freezing the dough for a bit, mine tended to bake really flat (although still yummy and chewy!) I read on a CI message board to chill for an hour or more in the fridge (I usually cut it down to 15-20 mins in the freezer) and then bake at 375. Obviously shorten your time from the original recipe, but that seemed to help, they were more bakery like after that.

YUM! I love me a chewy cookie.

Karen Kuilboer says:

So, I’ve just found a new Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe….This one!! WOW!! It is SO yummy and SO easy!! I even baked them with my two daughters (ages 9 and 4), and they turned out!! Thanks again for yet another wonderful recipe!! :)

Twyla says:

Made these two weeks ago and they didn’t last long at all! I plan to make more tomorrow! Best chocolate chip cookie recipe ever!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Crystal says:

I’m trying this recipe asap! I like a soft cookie not chewy, gooey, nor cakey. I can’t really explain it but I hope this recipe is just what I need. I will let you know how I liked this recipe…
    P.S. What’s Kate’s recipe?

Crystal says:

Hi, can someone give me a tip or two? I attempted am attempting to make these awesme cookies, but the step where I am wondering if I did right is mixing the 1 1/2 cups of melted butter with the 1 cup of brown sugar, then I added the vanilla extract and the 1 egg + 1 yolk , ok at this stage my brown sugar would sink and it seemed as though the butter kept separating from the brown sugar no matter how fast and long I mixed it for( it didn’t look like pasty like on the picture posted at all) so I shrugged my shoulders and figured maybe after I add the 1large egg + egg yolk it will improve well it did but still did not look right. But it may workout in the end. Ok so I added the flour mixture and I put the “cookie dough” mine looks more like gooey paste consistency so I put it in the fridge to harden it a bit so that I can shape them put on the sheet. I’m still waiting for it now, but someone please give me a tip

Perhaps you had a mis-measurement somewhere? Did you use real butter? It should come together with no problems so I’m not sure!

Crystal says:

Ps oops I meant 1 1/2 sticks of butter. I wrote cups instead of writng sticks. But I measured it right. My cookies came out just fine they looked awesome and had great flavor. A little cakey due to my part because while I was making this recipe I discovered I had no baking soda so I got a tip” but I’m going to do the recipe with baking soda and do it the right way!

My darling husband was craving cookies so I thought I’d try this recipe. He wasn’t sure he wanted me to deviate from our tried and true recipe but I convinced him to try these and now he is SOLD! In fact he made a cookie dough sandwich with them. (some of the dough between two warm from the oven cookies). What men think of!

Julie says:

This is THE BEST chocolate chip cookie recipe! It is the only one I will use when making chocolate chip cookies. I have made them over and over again. Perfect, every time!

Crystal says:

Yay! These cookies were so good. Especially after letting them cool off completely. My children, mother-in-law, sister-in-law and father-in-law and I loved them! They complemented me on how delicious these were. I was making more in the kitchen because they could not have enough of these and they even watched me make them and wanted to learn how to make these. Thank you for sharing this recipe!!!

Cstewart says:

I tried this recipe tonight and they came out perfect! I love chewy cookies, they were amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Andrea says:

I live about 10 minutes north of Salt Lake and mine went flat. Any suggestions? I wonder if I should take Suzanne’s ideas (comment #125). I did try putting the dough in the fridge for awhile, then the freezer just because the dough was so sticky (not sure how long exactly). It was still sticky when I gave up and baked the cookies anyway. I used Imperial (not sure if it’s margarine or butter; it doesn’t say!) so maybe I need to try using real butter? I wonder if your other cookie recipe would work better. Also, I’m interested in the recipe you mentioned in comment #21. :) I think I will try different recipes and see what works better for me at this altitude. Thanks!

Andrea, the Imperial is definitely your problem- you didn’t use butter. Imperial is margarine. Try it out with 100% real butter!

Amy says:

I have made these cookies many times. I love them. The other day instead of just melting the butter I browned the butter! The cookie dough and baked cookie were AMAZING!!

Stacie says:

These were delicious! I also browned the butter and it gave them a caramel taste, which I loved. I’ll be making these again for sure!

Lisa says:

Seriously the best cookies hands down. Thank you so much for generously putting this recipe on here. I have had so many compliments about these cookies and they are my go to give-neighbors treats. This recipe will be sticking around in my recipe book for a LONG time :)

Stacey L says:

Thank you for posting this recipe!!!! This is the best chocolate chip cookie recipe! I’m not a fan of cakey cookies, but mine seemed to turn out like that until I found this recipe. THANK YOU!!!!!!

Julia Thomas says:

I made these today……absolutely delicious! I love how they are so soft and chewy but just set/crunchy on the outer edges! Best chocolate chip cookies ever! Thanks for sharing.

Diane says:

These are awesome!

Chelsie says:

I made these tonight, and while they taste good, they’re too sweet for me! My husband and kids have major sweet teeth, they loved them.. but I think I’ll cut down to 1/2 c. of brown sugar next time! :)

BeccaS says:

I’m so happy I found your website! I have been making this recipe for a couple of months now, but just to hop on in here and say thank you for posting it. This is my go-to choc. chip recipe now. I love that it uses melted butter, as I never plan in advance and my butter is always hard as a rock! lol! The texture is absolutely perfect!

Amelia says:

Yup- perfect cookie recipe, thanks for the recommendation to 1. cool the dough (it’s hot and humid in TX so that was a great tip) 2. to put the cookies on the broken side up. THANKS. I have used the same chocolate chip recipe for years and I am over that one and in with this one.

[...] recipe originally came from here: Our Best Bites. My take on it, with just a minor tweak or two, [...]

I’ve actually tried this with Heath bar bits and they came out amazing! Also doubled this recipe and made a 16 in round cookie cake. And it baked and set really well! This is my go to cookie recipe, I literally just change out the type of chips I use and it tastes delicious! Thank you!

Rebecca says:

I love this recipe, it is my favorite CC cookie recipe after a long search! However, I have had problems with it when I freeze the dough and want to bake some another day. They always turn out super flat and greasy and run all over the pan. Any suggestions about proper prep to bake after freezing them in dough ball form?

Michaeline says:

I made this recipe tonight. They turned out really good, but they were still flat. I live in Breckenridge colorado and the elevation is 10,000 ft. Should I put more flour in them?

christina says:

Made them tonight for Santa (we are doing Christmas early) and um, amazing. Santa will have no problem-o finishing them off. Thanks for the fabulous new favorite!

Denise says:

i made these tonight and they were wonderful; soft and chewy was the perfect title for it! thanks for sharing your talents with us!

Rebecca says:

Thank you for sharing this cookie recipe! It has become one of our favorites and I use it all the time!

M says:

Made these yesterday and they came out amazing! So soft and chewy, just how I love them. The size of the cookies was just right too. Definitely a recipe to save.

Sue says:

I was looking for a good recipe for crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. I will definitely have to try these!

Oh, and for those mentioned the eggs. I had a couple of hens that laid the green ones. The other hens just the old fashioned brown eggs. If you’re curious look up “easter eggers”. :)

Meaghan says:

I made these last night with my gluten free all purpose flour and they are AMAZING!!!!!! I am so happy to have found a cookie recipe that I can convert to gluten free. I’ve been missing cookies so so so much since becoming a Celiac. They are chewy, rich and probably the best gluten free thing I’ve ever baked. Thanks!!!

NotesAboutMe says:

For anyone that is wondering about freezing the cookie dough, it was my second time making these last week and when the dough was ready, I realized I was running late for something. So, I took a gallon-sized ziploc bag and stuffed it in, and tossed it in the freezer. I took them out yesterday, let the dough sit on the counter till it wasn’t as firm and baked as directed. They came out just like they did the first time.
    Now I will be freezing the dough in advance so whenever I’m in the mood for cookies, I can just thaw and bake! Thanks for such a great recipe.

Jason says:

About freezing…
    I actually rolled the cookie dough into balls put them on a plate with parchment paper & put them in the freezer for about an hour. After that put them in a freezer bag & now you can pull out a few at a time!!! I take them straight from the freezer bag to the oven. With my oven I had to bake them at 375 for 12 minutes & they turn out perfect. You might need to experiment with your oven. This is probably one of my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes & it’s super simple.

Allison Brenn says:

Yay! I finally made chocolate chip cookies that weren’t flat and crispy! Thank you for sharing this recipe. I love finding hidden gems on your site.

Aubrey says:

I’ve made these a million times and love them! But the last couple of times I’ve made them they have decided to turn out cake-like instead of flatter and chewy. WHY?! I’m not anything different… I don’t mind fluffy cookies but my hubby prefers the chewy ones! Someone help. :)

Weird! Did you maybe change brands of anything? Butter, flour, baking soda, etc? That’s often the culprit, I don’t know what else it could be!

• Aubrey says:

Didn’t change anything… but the only thing I can think is how hot my kitchen is. I live in AZ and now that it’s getting close to 100 degrees outside again the cookies are back to the way they were before! WEIRD.

Kim says:

Oh my goodness. I made these to take to work, and everyone loved them!! I think I am a convert to this recipe.

Celena says:

I tried the method to make the cookies pretty on top, but found I was kinda squishing them as I tried to put the pieces back together. I found it much easier to make a ball twice the size I needed, break it in half and place the jagged sides up. Half the work! :)

[…] recipe originally came from here: Our Best Bites. My take on it, with just a minor tweak or two, […]

Samantha D says:

I’ve been using this recipe for a while now. It is my “go to”! Thanks to you…. My nephew says “Sam makes the best cookies.” I grew up with a different recipe at home that everyone LOVED! But I will never go back. Hands down… My favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe!

Wendy says:

Love this recipe, thanks for sharing!

Kara says:

So these are seriously the best cookies. I’ve been making these cookies ever since I found the recipe. The other day I made some and doubled the batch and then of course ate a few when they were fresh out of the oven. I thought they were exceptionally good this time and even better than they usually are (which is weird, because they’re delicious). It wasn’t until today that I realized that I didn’t put all the eggs in. I doubled the batch, but still only put in one egg and one egg yolk. They were a touch crispy on the outside and nice and chewy on the inside. I even froze them and then will microwave them for about 15-20 seconds when I want one and they’re as good as the day I made them. I might be doubling this recipe from now on just so I can add fewer eggs, because they were super yummy!