If you have never made your own tomato soup, you should really try it. It’s so easy and the final product is so flavorful I promise you’ll be licking the bowl.  This one combines a combo of both canned and sun-dried tomatoes and it also includes some reduced-fat cream cheese which instantly makes it rich and creamy. And unlike other “creamy” soups, this one is fairly low calorie (Which means you can pair it with a big toasty sandwich or a few warm breadsticks and not feel guilty!)

You start by sauteing garlic, onions, and carrots.  You can use butter or olive oil, but I use the oil right from the can of the sun-dried tomatoes that are used in the recipe.  It adds extra flavor and it’s convenient because the jar is already open!

After the veggies are tender, you’ll add in both canned and sundried tomatoes along with a few seasonings and some chicken broth.  After simmering, you’ll pop it in the blender with the secret ingredient (the cream cheese!)

And puree until smooth

To serve, I like to sprinkle it with some freshly grated parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of basil.

And it pretty much begs to be eaten along side a grilled cheese sandwich.  Just so you know.

Wanna make it a meal? It would be fantastic with:
Smoked Turkey and Artichoke Panini
Breadsticks
Rosemary Foccacia loaves
French Bread
Herb-topped rolls

Kate says:

Yum! I hadn’t thought about cream cheese. I bet that makes it yummy.

Carly says:

Yummmmmm…I made this soup and it was delicious!! I took Sara and Kate’s advice on how to make it spicy and added a bit of hot sauce and a bit of red pepper and it was the perfect amount of “kick” I needed! Thanks!!

Tyler & Meagan says:

I made this on Friday. It was delicious. I served it with panini(just mozzarella,basil, tomatoes and balsamic vinegar & oil).

I have a recipe for a creamy tomato, but it is loaded with cream and butter, so thanks for a healthy alternative. This tasted just as good!

Tyler & Meagan says:

Tyler & Meagan says:

Brittany Iverson says:

I made this a few months ago and now I can’t bring myself to eat campbell’s anymore. Yuck.

It is soooo good!

Thanks! My bread sticks came out too dry though. Should I use less flour?

Kate says:

Hey, Brittany! :) I’m sorry your breadsticks were dry! Yeah, next time I’d try them with a little less flour and see how they come out. Good luck!

gigi says:

Really, girls this was one of my favorite recipes! I got to making so many soups that I bought myself an emulsion blender and it makes the soup makeing even easier! Love it!

mushbelly says:

are you guys seriously taking all of these beautiful pictures with just a point and shoot? I’m so impressed. I love the pictures on this blog almost more than the recipes themselves.

cathy says:

looks so good! i love how the cheese is translucent and just floats against that deep orange/red color :)

gigi says:

Kate and Sara,
    I got the gift card in the mail today!! I am super excited about spending it. I’ll keep you updated as to what fun thing I get!
    I also bave you a shout out on my blog. Thanks again so much.

Fichtner Family says:

This makes me really sad that I killed my blender making the black bean soup – Which was yum by the way.

Kara says:

I made this tonight for dinner. Seriously, the BEST soup I’ve ever had. It’s so good Sara!

Kara M.

Nana says:

Mmmmm. This looks fantastic. I am going to give it a try.

Katie Tyler says:

I recently made a recipe very similar to this- but they did not suggest removing the center piece to let the steam escape… and I paid the price, the top exploded and I was covered in HOT tomato soup (and so was my kitchen) Thank you for the new, and clearer recipe!)

Meagan says:

This IS my favorite soup, and my family LOVES it. In fact, I tried to make it this weekend while we were away at my parent’s condo (full kitchen) but alas, the recipe wasn’t available on your site… probably ’cause you were working on re-posting. So, we had to make do with a different recipe, but it was WAY more fattening and not as good.

Glad to see this recipe is back!

Britanie says:

I made this for my girlfriends today and it was delicious, mine came out thicker than Sara’s, I wonder why? Also made the foccacia bread for the first time, wish I hadn’t waited…sinful!

Rebecca says:

I love the addition of sun dried tomatoes! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

liso. says:

Thanks for the re-post. I had missed it. AND we loved it…served in bread bowls, a complete meal. No nothing else…I added some fresh parmo and wow. I totally forgot the red pepper, though, so we’re trying it next time!

marricked says:

I'm 17, male, and just started cooking, and I have to say this is one of the tastiest things I have ever made and the recipe was so easy to follow, thankyou so much Kate for posting it! Definately bookmarking this website!

Kamie says:

I love your blog. It is my latest addiction. I was getting bored with my recipes and found your blog just in time thanks to a friend. Loved the tomato & black bean soups as well as the lemon zucchini pasta. I am way excited to try a few more recipes out this week. You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the time you put into this.

Zoe says:

AMAZING!!!! Okay, seriously, I have been searching for this recipe forever! I LOVE tomato soup and my favorite came from a restaurant that went out of business. I almost cried. I tried making my own version with heavy cream, etc. I never thought of cream cheese! It is the secret ingredient! Thank you sooooo much!

Janice says:

OMGosh my daughter and I made this soup last night and we will never go back to the can. It was easy and yummy. We did decide that what would make this an even better meal is some pizza rolls. Thanks for the recipe.

Dana says:

All I can say, is "WOW!" This soup is soooo good. (And, totally worth the search for the sun dried tomotates packed in olive oil with herbs.) Heaven.

jfb says:

I've made a lot of tomato soups – but this is by far the best! I omitted the sundried tomatoes because I had to make this the minute I saw the recipe and didn't have any on hand. still delish.

HWFA says:

Can't wait to try the new version … loved the last one, an all-time favorite soup recipe!!

Could I substitute the oven roasted tomatoes (from your site) for the sun-dried tomatoes in the recipe and still have it come out similar? I have a bunch in my freezer from last fall :-) thanks so much!!

What A Dish! says:

Made this for dinner tonight and it was both delish and easy- thanks!! My immersion blender makes it even easier.

Samara says:

Made this over the weekend and it had great flavor but for some reason it was a bit more on the chunky side than the creamy side. Is there an ideal amount of time to blend for to make it smoother? Thanks!

Samara- the chunkiness is completely up to you! All I can tell you is to blend it until it's the consistency you want. Just take a taste before you take it out of the blender next time.

Sarah says:

My husband told me tonight after we had this soup for dinner that he was "very impressed"!! (Yay!!)Thanks for making me look good! :)

Anne says:

Made it tonight and served with grilled cheese sandwiches! I couldn't get it totally smooth no matter how long I blended, but the flavor was great!

Jenny Lovering says:

This sounds delicious. I am trying to figure out the nutritional information…so how many servings does this make?

Jenny- I'd say it serves about 6

HWFA says:

Just wanna say thanks again girls. I went out searching for tomato soup recipes to use up a batch of garden tomatoes and made (3) different tomato soup recipes this week. I don't know why I even bother to look elsewhere … your recipes are always my hands-down favorites! Taste-y and Do-able … the best combination!! Love this soup!! Just used garden tomatoes instead of the canned and it was perfect.

Keep 'em coming :-)

kchf008 says:

Looks great! And, I love the soup bowl. What brand is it? Thanks!

Katie Call says:

This was a wonderful fall soup… paired with a panini, it was heavenly! It also makes a great pasta sauce, as it turns out. Had a rancid jar of spaghetti sauce that ruined my last pound of ground beef. AGH! I had leftovers of the soup, so I put it with some cooked ground sausage and served it over spaghetti with fresh mozzarella on top. DELICIOUS!

Janice says:

What are the Weight Watcher points for this recipe it use to be 2 ponts is it still? Thank you for the soups and the points I'm happy to say that it is helping me to lose the weight that I need to say goodbye to!!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Janice–I'm not sure if the points for this have changed or not and I don't have it in me to calculate them right now… :) My guess is that they probably didn't; most of the foods that now have higher values were higher in carbs, whereas now, most fruits and veggies are 0 points.

De-lish! I made this about a week ago and it is my new favorite tomato soup recipe. I loved the roasted tomatoes in it. Thank you!

Marianne says:

Our family loves this recipe. Thank you! It tastes so similar to Paradise Bakery’s fire roasted tomato soup.

Jocelyn says:

I substituted the sun dried tomato for roasted red peppers. Yum!

Meg says:

Just thought I’d let you know that when I calculated this recipe on the Weight Watcher Website, it comes out at 3 points per serving, with the recipe making 6 servings:-) hope that helps.

Andrea says:

This recipe is a home run! I would say the 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper makes it pretty spicy, would probably cut back on that next time. I sprinkled the cheese on top and tossed a few croutons on it and it tasted like Panera’s, yum!

Jacki says:

I’ve made this several times and it’s a huge hit with my family. I just use my cuisinart smart stick hand blender to mix it right in the pan. It turns out blended and creamy and it saves one step and one dish that you don’t have to wash. Hooray!

Jennie Brown says:

I dream about this soup. We die over this soup. And we also have taken it to people who are sick and sad and stuff.

I can’t help it. I’m just going to have to make it this week.
    (With rosemary foccacia bread? Yes, forever and for always.)

tdish says:

Ok – so I made your oven roasted tomatoes the other day when tomatoes were on sale. My husband didn’t care for them; I was shocked because I couldn’t stop eating them! I pureed them with a little sugar & stuck it in the freezer, knowing I would use the puree sometime soon.
    Well today it was rainy & we wished for tomato soup – so I pulled that out of the freezer, mixed it with diced tomatos, chicken broth, & milk (didn’t have cream cheese) – It was amazing! My husband was SO impressed that I made tomato soup (and in less than 5 mins). He loved the soup. And I felt quite domestic. :) If you ladies ever wonder why you are doing what you do – just know that it really really helps us ladies (that don’t know our way around the kitchen very well) impress our husbands & feed our families yummy new foods. Thank you.

Orinda says:

I went and bought the ingredients for this soup and my husband did NOT look excited about it… both of us have a hard time with tomatoes, so the idea of tomato soup was not a happy thought. Lets just say we both loved it! Thank you for this and all your recipes, we honestly love everything off your site and cook book!

Shauna Maloy says:

Oh my. I am absolutely in love. My 3 boys and my husband also loved it, and I heard a lot of “Mom your such a great chef!” Thanks for making me look so good ;)

Denise says:

This was SO YUMMY!!! :) Thank you for the recipe! We had ours with grilled cheese tonight, and I almost died, I loved it so much! I didn’t have any sun-dried tomatoes on hand, so I used a can of tomato paste for that stronger tomato flavor. And I chose not to blend it, because I was scared to have it explode everywhere, but it turned out wonderful!! Thanks for posting this! :)

Amy says:

This soup is amazing. It’s my comfort food. I made it for a friend and she told me that Zupas should buy their soup from me!

[...] Soup (I switch out cream for evaporated skim milk) Link Carrot Peanut Link Sun Dried Tomato Soup Link Roasted Broccoli (I add a T or so of Romano cheese to my bowl before serving) Link Split Pea with [...]

[...] | creamy tomato soup (subbing coconut creamer for the cream cheese – [...]

Alie says:

Just made this using vegan cream cheese. It was excellent and my two-year old finished his bowl and asked for more!

Marci says:

I’ve made this recipe a few times, but we live in Texas where it isn’t really soup weather all year… this weekend when I made it my husband asked me to make a double batch next time since there just wasn’t enough of it (for the two of us). Good thing it’s “winter” now and it’s getting cold enough to really enjoy your soups before it’s time to just live off of Southwest Pasta Salad again!

[...] the a new spin on our family favorites. They have never led me down the wrong path. So when I saw this recipe for creamy tomato soup in their first book, I figured I’d give it a [...]

KAY says:

This is the BEST tomato soup…….

Megan L. says:

Hi Sara and Kate. Just wondering if I could use Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss wedges in this soup instead of cream cheese? What do you think? Would it still taste good? Thanks…

Jena says:

How freezeable is this? My daughter loves it and I would love to freeze it in small batches for her for lunches. I am worried about the cream cheese. Thank you!!

because there’s not a lot of cream cheese in there, and it’s blended in, I would think it would freeze just fine. But I’ve actually never frozen this one so you’d have to try it!

kristina baker says:

Hi! How many servings does this make?

Robin says: