Okay, so much for my Irish roots! Here we are, the week of St. Patrick’s Day, and all our food has a Latin/tropical flair. Ah, well, my Irish ancestors would probably rather have Key Lime Pie and Mexican salad dressing if they had the choice!

As all you long-time readers know, we absolutely love limes around here. You’ll also probably know that Brazilian Lemonade is my favorite drink in the whole world. So yeah, this key lime pie? It’s pretty much Brazilian Lemonade as a pie. And life doesn’t really get a whole lot better than your favorite drink in the form of pie.
This recipe is pretty tart (hahahahaha), but that’s the way I like it. I also like to cut that tartness with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream instead of the more traditional meringue. Meringue is gorgeous, don’t get me wrong, but I just like whipped cream better. Sue me.
This recipe can either be made as a pie or as tarts. And it’s awesome both ways. However, I like making them as tarts because of the following reasons:
1) They’re cute.
2) Who doesn’t want their very own mini pie?
3) You get more out of the recipe (10 tarts as opposed to 8 slices of pie).
4) The mess is completely self-contained; you don’t need plates or a pie server.
5) Double the recipe, pop a whole slew of these on a baking sheet, and you have enough tarts for a party in just a few minutes.
6) I must be held accountable at the end of the day for any and all empty tart tins. There are no slivers of pie mysteriously disappearing throughout the day.
Enough motivation for you? Go tarts! And by that, I mean small pies, not loose women.

Key Lime Tarts
10 mini graham cracker crusts* (available near the regular graham cracker crusts in the baking aisle)
1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
Around 1/2 c. lime juice. Fresh key lime juice is best, then regular lime juice, then bottled key lime juice. If you’re going to use bottled regular lime juice, don’t. Honestly, I’m too lazy to juice those tiny little key limes, so I just juice regular limes and call it a day.
2 drops green food coloring (optional and rather controversial in the world of Key Lime Pie purists. If you don’t add it, your pies will be more authentic, but also on the yellow side. I normally don’t bother with it, but since it’s Green Week, I lived on the edge a little.)
Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, combine egg yolks,
sweetened condensed milk, and lime juiceDistribute evenly among graham cracker crusts (I used my cookie scoop to make sure things were equal). Place tart pans on a baking sheet

and bake in preheated oven 10-11 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature, then chill in fridge until ready to serve.

Before serving, add a dollop of sweetened whipped cream. Light a coconut candle, turn on your ceiling fan, close your eyes, and pretend that cockroach you found this morning was in Key West instead of, say, Louisiana.
*If you want to bake this as a single large pie, just use a standard 9″ graham cracker pie crust and bake for 15 minutes. Top each slice with whipped cream before serving.

Melody says:

I know exactly who I am going to make these for! They are so pretty. Love your blog. Thanks!

Eric says:

wow, those look amazing! uh, we need to make those at our house;)

Steph says:

Looks yummy! And I love how even your mutilated, juiced, limes are are still beautiful :)

Maria says:

Love the little tarts!

Sara says:

Those are so cute and fresh and yummy looking. I love individual desserts. Also, I think that last picture is the most perfect swirl of whipped cream I’ve ever seen!

Gabe's Girl says:

I just LOVE key lime pie. These tarts are a wonderful idea!

The Food Hunter says:

Oh they look so cute and delcious.

OREGON SOUTHWORTHS says:

Oh my gosh! I just discovered your site from my friend’s blog last night and EVERYTHING looks SO GOOD!! I’m making mental notes for the next trip to the grocery store… The Brazilian Lemonade sounds fabulous (my husband served his mission there so I’m anxious to see what he thinks) and I can’t wait to try the chocolate chip cookies!! I pride myself on being a pretty decent baker but have a love-hate relationship with baking chocolate chip cookies and have been desperate for a good recipe.
    The key-lime tarts look good (I will definitely go for the cute little tarts over the whole pie) and the french dip sounds yummy. I’m so happy to have your link added to my blog and I really love your posts, pictures and detailed directions!
    - Jennifer

Donal says:

Hey I’m Irish but I agree you definitely don’t have to be to enjoy these! They look really great!

Cheers,
    Donal

becca says:

They’re so cute! And they look delicious, to boot!

Kate says:

Jennifer–I’m so glad you found us!! :) Welcome to the flock… :) Be sure and let us know when you love (or don’t) a new recipe and don’t hesitate to ask any questions!! Welcome again and happy cooking! (Apparently I’m shouting inside my head today…)

suzi says:

Yum! These look awesome. I can’t wait to make them.

OREGON SOUTHWORTHS says:

Alright, so I made these Monday night so we could have them for dessert last night when my friend was over for dinner. They were fantastic!! I couldn’t get over how easy they were to make and so, so tasty! :)
    - Jennifer

Drew says:

I LOVE LIME!!!!!!!

Erin says:

I made these last night. They're super cute and taste great! And they couldn't have been easier.

Linz says:

Do you think these could be made into even smaller, bite-sized tarts? As in baked in a mini muffin pan? And if so, what steps would be different.

You'd obviously have to make your own crust for that…and maybe even use cupcake papers to hold it together so the crust wouldn't fall apart.

Do you think it could work? Just wondering because I was thinking of making them for a potluck of sorts, so the mini pies would be too big and too few for the guests that will be there.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Linz–I think the biggest concern with doing mini tarts would be the custard filling. The crust really helps hold that in, but if you had a graham cracker crust all the way up the sides of a mini muffin tin, you might not have enough room for the filling, you know? If you end up doing it, PLEASE let us know how they turn out because they could be super-cute!

Jordanne says:

I made these into mini-tarts today for a RS dinner and they were a huge hit! I used homemade graham cracker crust and a mini muffin tin with paper liners. I put 1 (slightly heaping) teaspoon of crust and an almost-full cookie scoop of custard in each liner. I baked at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes. They came out of the liners easily, with minimal mess (though I would be sure to pack the graham cracker crust down pretty well to prevent crumbling when you take off the liner) and the proportion of crust to custard turned out great! One batch made approximately 32 mini-tarts and I covered almost all of them with the whipped cream from a half pint of heavy cream. :)

jfb says:

hey there! I love all your recipes so I came here first looking for a key lime pie recipe (my hubby's request for his bday this week). Do you suppose I could just do this in a pie size crust and all would be just as well? I assume so, but wondered if you have done that before.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

jfb–Sure thing! Just get a regular graham cracker pie crust and bake it for 15 minutes. :)

Monaca says:

I just wanted to double check the amount of egg yolks?

Your picture has 5 yolks, but the instructions did not say…

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Hi, Monaca! I think your eyes might be tricking you because the recipe says 5 yolks… :)

Pam says:

These look terrific — and I like the "additional" portions! However, after spending the last hour poking around your blog (I just found you), I have one thought for you: Key Lime Pie in a Jar.

I may need to go to the store… ^_^

Kirsti Saatela says:

I think these will be my next it on my list of things to make… My boyfriends birthday is coming up, and I think this is what I will make him!

Dawn Robinson says:

I made these adorable tarts today for a family get together. Everyone loved them (even me and I don’t like keylime at all). Thanks for the wonderful recipe. Love the site!

Kirsti Saatela says:

This was a total hit! I just made this for my boyfriends surprise birthday dinner. My picky sister even liked it! She said it was way better then my lemon mEringue pie (which she doesn’t like!) I paired it with chili-lime steak and the salad, but ate them as separate dishes and the coconut rice from your cookbook! Everything was fabulous!

Kirsti Saatela says:

Pooh! And i added lime juice to my homemade whipped cream rather then the usual vanilla, since i have failed to get more since i ran out weeks ago!!! I thought it was a good substitute!

tracy n tigard says:

Making these for Easter dinner today ! I use Key Limes and use a garlic press to extract the juice – perfect!

Kristin says:

Thank you for this recipe! My boyfriend is from Venezuela and this is his favorite pie. I was afraid I might end up having to buy it from a store, but you have solved my problem. Thank you!

Adrienne says:

I just squeezed 2 bags of those little key limes!! I hope its awesome!! Love your blog, cookbook, everything!!

Rene says:

I made these tonight for book club! They were tasty, easy, and fun!! What a fabulous idea! I bought a few too many limes, so I’m making them again tomorrow for a family party.
    Thanks for a yummy recipe that I will use again and again!!!

Adrienne says:

I made these for my bunko group and they went crazy for them! I squeezed 2 bags of the tiny key limes…it was worth it though.

Shannon says:

I’ve made both the full pie and tart versions for company- the one thing I noticed is that having them sit in the fridge for a day before serving actually made them taste better! The first time, I made the tarts and served them after about 2 hrs chilled, and they were a little TOO tart! (and that’s saying something for a sour lover like me!) After a day in the fridge, the taste was much better.

Crystal says:

These were SO easy and delicious! Thanks!

Elizabeth says:

These are delicious! I made them tonight. They were super simple and I’m definitely taking the rest to work tomorrow to share.

I really appreciate the simplicity coupled with great taste found in all the recipes on here!

A friend of mine is moving out of state and key lime is his favorite pie, so I made these for him as part of a going away party. They were a hit! I made 3 desserts and these little tarts were the only ones we ran out of. I used a bit more than 1/2 cup juice…I juiced my own key limes and used 15, which gave me closer to 2/3 cup. I also only got 9 tarts instead of 10 and baked them for closer to 15 minutes. Like I said…a complete hit. It was my first time ever making key lime pie, and my friend said it was an amazing success. :)

Lindsey K says:

What if you wanted to make this as a deep dish pie? That’s the only kind of pie plate I have…would you double the recipe? How long would you bake it for?

Hi, Lindsay! You know…I’ve never tried it in a deep dish pie plate, but you don’t even need your own pie plate for this recipe because you can use packaged graham cracker crusts and they come out great! I’m sure you COULD do it with a deep dish crust, I just don’t know how much more filling you’d need to make or how long you’d need to bake it.

Sorry I can’t be of more help!

Melissa Gutierrez says:

I used your recipe and made them in cupcake tins with homemade graham cracker crust and they turned out amazing!!! Thanks for the recipe. :)

Sarah says:

Hi Kate! I’m going to make these for my cousins baby shower next weekend and was wondering if you think I could make them this weekend, freeze them, and then “defrost” them a day before the shower and just put them in the frig until i serve them? I’m so excited to make these! They are going to be perfect! Thanks!!

I probably wouldn’t–weird things can happen when you freeze custard-based pies! :) The good news is that you can bake a million of them at once and they’re quick!! You can also juice the limes now and freeze THAT, which would save you a ton of time.

Melissa says:

Okay, all I can say is, I’m awesome because of you guys! All I ever do is make your stuff. Made these today to bring as a dessert to a friend’s dinner tonight. Had to try one of course to make sure they were okay, and OMG – delish!!! I cannot believe how quick and easy they were and my friends are going to think I’m like a gourmet chef or something. These are going to be my go-to treats for parties and potlucks. By the way, I was slightly concerned when you said these were really tart. I didn’t think they were too tart at all. Definitely not anymore than any other key lime pie I’ve ever tasted. And take note, I live in Florida :).

I made these today and they totally rocked! After making these and the sweetened whipped cream (from Kneaders), I decided you need to come up with a copycat recipe for Kneaders’ fruit tarts. Those things are to die for!

Stacey says:

I made these for St. Pats Day and my family loved them! So easy too…seriously, 3 ingredients?! I’m going to have to put other pies into those cute little crusts because they are so appealing and ahem, help with portion control.

Susan Bewley says:

These are so cute! I pinned these last night on Pinterest and just had the chance to really read through the recipe. I guess my husband pulled up the link since he went grocery shopping to get all the ingredients we didn’t have :)

nikki says:

What should the consistency for these be when they’re fished cooking?

Laurie says:

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned this but if you add a tsp of vanilla it makes them super yummy. Just thought I’d throw that little tidbit in there. (:

Jennifer Stamper says:

Can these be frozen for later use?

Jennifer Stamper says:

Never mind, I just read through the other comments and you already answered that! Sorry1

Abby says:

I love these! I’m making them for our YW activity this week! :)

Alyssa B says:

I’ve made this recipe several times and it’s one of my favorites! It’s time, I saw a big bag of those cute key limes on special for a dollar. They are actually pretty easy to juice. I let them sit in hot water for a few minutes to warm them up, then cut in half and squeezed each half with my hands. It took 10 minutes tops to squeeze 40 of them, and I only needed 15 to make half a cup.
    I usually use the big limes, but I was feeling adventurous today :)

Asia says:

I have made this recipe as a regular pie several times, it’s completely delicious. I would just note that the pie takes closer to 30 minutes to bake in 9 inch pie form. I know most traditional key lime pie recipes say 15-17 minutes but this one is totally liquid at that amount of time. (And I know it’s not my oven, as I make a lot of your recipes and the times are spot on).