This is a quick and easy wet rub that’s great on steaks. I’ve already shared my love of flank steak, (read all about it here) so that’s what I generally use this on, but it’s also great on other cuts of meat. Some of our favorites are tenderloin, NY strip, and tri-tip. Wet rubs are great because you can whip it up last minute. Intense flavor infuses the meat quickly, so if you forgot to make a marinade, this is your answer. This is kind of my steak version of Kate’s Taco chicken, and you can use it in a lot of similar ways. We love it with black beans and lime-cilantro rice, or sliced thin in soft tacos or on salad.

Can’t go wrong with this line-up:

Related Post: Chili-Lime Steak Salad

Princess of Everything (and then some) says:

I am a meat eater and that is making my mouth water!!

gigi says:

You are right, you can’t go wrong with this steak! Lookin good and tastin wonderful!

Britanie says:

We love meat at our house, I will be testing this out this week. As an Idaho girl I will probably be paring it with the Texas fries, and maybe a green salad for a little balance. Thanks!

Eric says:

This is great! Love the flank!!
    Also, that is an awesome pic of the spices my dear ;)

The cool family! says:

That looks good!!!

Laura says:

I really want to try this! Is garlic powder a suitable substitute for granulated garlic?

Sara says:

Laura, granulated garlic is generally better in rubs because of the coarser texture, but if you have garlic powder you can totally substitute it, it won’t make a huge difference overall.

J.Danger says:

the spice plate looks so good!

Joie de vivre says:

I gasped with excitement to see how the rub had worked it’s way through the cracks. I need to try more dry rubs, they just add so much.

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer says:

There is nothing better than homemade rubs!! What a great combination!

Drew says:

Just today I was thinking of barbecuing some flank steak, good timing Sara. I bought EM and myself a BBQ for Valentines Day (romantic huh) and just put it together last week.

biz319 says:

Oh, that looks really good! I need some steak – but that would require a trip to the grocery store and I still have so much food at home to use up!

Julie says:

Looks like a great way to make a steak a lot more interesting!

Maris says:

All of those spice rubs look fantastic! I bet it was a tasty steak.

Kara says:

We had this for dinner, and it was great! Thanks!

Kara M.

David says:

mmmm.. really this is looking great. I love meat very much. Thanks for the recipe.
    Visit site

Christa says:

Delicious! I made it for dinner tonight – the husband loved it and so did the 2 year old. Thanks!

Michelle says:

This is SO good. We had this spice rub tonight on flat iron steak and made fajitas. Everyone raved about it.

Sarah says:

A wonderful rub for steaks! My husband and I both loved it.

Karinstar says:

I made this the other night, along with your 'quick and easy black beans' and your 'cilantro pineapple rice'. Each dish was absolutely delicious and my husband (he is very picky) LOVED it, and so did I. You gals have the BEST recipes ever! You have helped make my life easier in a BIG way – thank you!!!

Melissa says:

I made this tonight for my husband, it was amazing. Will definately make this again as with all of your recipes I've tried so far. Great blog…

Sheila says:

Found this in the cookbook and made it last night. My husband could not stop raving about it. Easy and delicious!

allison walker says:

YUMMO!! i just happened to have set out some NY strips tonite. I will be treating them with this recipe tomorrow for sure!! love your recipes they are a sure thing.

Barbie says:

My house smells so good right now! I can’t wait to dive into this steak. What did I do before I came across this blog? You provide me with about 3 meal ideas a week! Another winner!

Made this tonight for dinner, what a yummy steak… the whole family loved it! It will totally be in our regular rotation!

Kerrie says:

Does this freeze well? If so, at what point would you freeze it; before or after cooking? What would be best to preserve the quality?

Megan says:

I didn’t have time to read all the comments, so not sure if anyone else has suggested this, but I tried this rub on salmon last night and it was AMAZING! I served your black bean mango salsa over the salmon and my husband and I loved it. It’s my new favorite meal! So yummy and fresh tasting! Thanks!

Trina Cudney says:

YUMMMM!!! WE love steak in our house however the sameold way of cooking it was boring! I saw this and ran to the store to bust out like $20 in spices (like I said I have always cooked boring!) and then fired up the grill (again first time grilling steak also!) and it was sooooooo good! I’m also a big sauce dipper and this need almost no A-1 steak sauce! Will be making this one again soon and this time will print it out to keep in the family recipe book!

Carianna says:

Looking for an appetizer for a Margarita Party and this looks great for grilling, skewering, and serving with the cilantro-lime dressing as a dip. Have you had leftovers of this before? How does it taste the next day? It would be much easier for me to grill, slice, and skewer the day before and then serve at room temp… Input?

I’ve had the steak cold in salads before and it’s good. Just don’t overcook it. If you’re going to eat it the next day you’ll want it nice and pink!

Carianna says:

Thank you! Officially on the menu!

Mimi says:

This was tasty! We loved it at my house. I actually posted it on my blog today (www.mimisfitfoods.com). Thanks for the fabulous recipe!

Arlette says:

In your cookbook you show it topped with something but I cannot find a note on what the topping is. Can you direct me to the recipe?

It’s the Black Bean and Mango salsa (also in the book) it is noted on that page of the book, I believe it’s on the side bar of the page with the tips and serving suggestions!

Brooke says:

I wanted to print the recipe but it denied me access. What’s the trick?

That was an old, inactive link. This recipe hasn’t been formatted for printing- so you’ll just have to copy and paste. Sorry!

Thomas says: