As you have probably deduced, both Sara and I really like to make our own salad dressings. A lot of times when I’ve made a salad dressing for the consumption of people that do not include my husband and children, people look at me like I’m smoking crack.

“You make your own dressing?” they ask, looking at me like I’ve sprouted a third eye. You know, like this is rocket science or something. The craziest thing is that making dressings is definitely on the easy end of kitchen creations–they’re generally made with things you have lying around the house (milk, mayonnaise, vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, soy sauce, salt, sugar, etc. Although not all in the same dressing…that would be vile) and they can be whipped up in minutes. As in far less time than it will take you to scan your own groceries at the handy-dandy (not) self-serve line at Walmart, let alone drive to Walmart, park in Cambodia, navigate your way through the store, stop to take pictures of camouflage lingerie with your camera phone,

remember that you desperately need springtime Oreos, floral foam, and a multipack of blank CDs, drop $50 you never planned on spending, feel violated by the little old lady who checks your receipt on the way out to make sure those springtime Oreos that you’re currently stress-eating have been properly paid for, and then discover that the car you bought a year ago has been dinged by one of the many rogue shopping carts surrounding it. But hey, don’t tell your friends how easy homemade dressings are–let them think you’re Martha Jr. when all you really were was really LAZY.

Anyway, I know not everyone loves blue cheese dressing, but I sure do. Love love love. And this recipe is the best I’ve ever had. It comes out thick, which is perfect to dip veggies or hot wings in, or you can thin it out with a little milk or buttermilk (if you want to) to use on a salad. This dressing is amazing on my BBQ Chicken Cobb Salad.
World’s Best Zesty Blue Cheese Dressing
1 c. mayonnaise (do not use Miracle Whip. Just don’t. You may, however, use light mayonnaise.)
1/2 c. crumbled blue cheese
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. minced garlic (1-2 cloves)
A couple tablespoons of milk or buttermilk (optional)
Combine ingredients. Like I said, rocket science. If you’d like, thin to desired consistency with milk or buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Win friends and influence people with homemade salad dressing.

roxanne says:

Hahaha! I am new as well, and I just have to say thank you for sharing that Walmart experience, complete with photos of camo lingerie. Nice.

And yeah, it totally looks like a skeleton in that last picture.

gigi says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Blue Cheese!!!
    Thank you so much for this new one to try. I bet it becomes my all time favorite! I can just tell.

Guess what?? I get to use my gift card on Friday! I want to say thanks again for picking me!!

Happiness and Joy on this April Fool’s day!

Eric says:

Okay, on what other food blog can you find camo undies and blue cheese dressing in the same post? Oh ya, we’re one of a kind, haha. I love ya Kate, that was hilarious.

Also, I’m thinking we need to start a post just of food pictures that look like weird things; like this skeleton celery, or my gold fish flank steak and little ginger man. oh ya, I’m gonna get on that right now!

Gigi- I’m glad you get to go shop this week, let us know what fun thing you pick up at Williams-Sonoma!

Chef E says:

First of all that picture screams out to me ‘BITE ME’ and now! lol

Great post, and I am glad my taste buds gave into blue cheese…so many friends do not like it, and do not know what they are missing!

Stephanie says:

Peter loves blue cheese dressing. I love the camo nightie. It almost screams, “You see me! You don’t!” I highly doubt they have the same stuff at ours! ha ha

jlk says:

I almost didn’t see the Camo undies — they blend with their surroundings so well!

I am so happy to have found your site — from Todays Creative Blog.

Erika says:

That’s some hot looking lingerie. Only at Walmart!

cindy says:

I’m a blue cheese lover so this is something I must make!! Thanks, it is because of fun ladies like you that I have finally started a blog. Thanks for your inspiration!

merparker says:

ummm…well, that lingerie is somethin’ special! Thanks for the humor and the recipe!

becca says:

Mmmm I love blue cheese dressing, but usually on things a bit hardier than lettuce :)
    I would put this on steamed red potatoes… mmmmmm….

cindy says:

Surprise Cookies are there–just have to go back a page
    They are wonderful!! A Martha Stewart favorite!

Ingrid says:

Yes, I love, Love, LOVE blue cheese dressing! What I don’t love is Walmart. I never go there. Call me stuck up or whatever but I don’t care HOW much cheaper everything is there. We’ll just eat less or cut back some other way. My children even mention how not nice that place is…

Deborah says:

I am a blue cheese dressing lover, and this has my mouth salivating!

Chi-townRawlins says:

This has to be the funniest food blog I’ve ever read…

Deseree says:

I love making my own dressing too, it is so much easier, and you can totally mess with flavors. I am not a huge blue cheese dressing on salad fan but I love it with buffalo wings is that weird?
    Thanks for sharing!

Kate says:

Hey, Chef E–Bite me. Ha. :)

Deseree–Not weird at all. What about blue-cheese-dressing-on-my-finger? I think that’s probably quantifiably weird.

Everyone: I’m so glad my picture of camo PANTIES (that was just for Sara; she HATES that word) was entertaining and not offensive. I have a whole slew of Walmart stories/pictures/repressed memories because when I go to Walmart, it’s not just Walmart–it’s Walmart in the South. Honest to goodness, the first time I went to Walmart here, it was about 10:30 at night and there was a very pregnant teenager in a camo wifebeater, smoking. I also think I have a picture of a book about burning in hellfire for eternity in the inspirational book section. I shall check and see…

Yum. My father in law makes a wicked salad with iceberg lettuce, pineapple chunks, bermuda onion and blue cheese dressing. Will have to give this one a try!

Jenn says:

hahaha I swear half the reason i love reading these blogs is for your guys’ little stories :)
    this sounds de-freaking-licious. I’m going to try it out with wings! Mmmmm…

Katrina says:

ugh! i really should not read this blog right before lunch!! *tummy grumbles* so hungry . . . what happened to all the food in my snack drawer??

teeny says:

kate, my mother always made her own dressings. she even made her own mayonaise! i love blue cheese dressing. on hamburgers it is the best! so thank you for this recipe! will you make it too when you come home?

LOVE

teeny says:

steph, read your comment. i bet they have them in yakima. that’s the first thing i noticed at ned’s games. that every man there wears camoflage stuff! funny! lots of hunting in yakima!!!!

D.I.M. Incorporated says:

Ok, I’m not a fan of blue cheese. *ducks* BUT I’ll try it just for you Kate! And bc I love your southern Walmart stories! Hey, did you hear we’re getting another one here in your home town? Yeah,I thought you’d be excited. :/

Plain Jame says:

THANK YOU – I feel so validated now. I hate store-bought salad dresssings and wondered from a very young age why salads always tasted better at a restaurant… I now try (keyword try) to make my own dressings because anything is better than the bottle!

I just found your blog this past month and just tried this dressing tonight- so easy, SOOO good!!

Lisa says:

I also love to make my own salad dressings, I think it’s funny how impressed people are. Can’t wait to try this dressing with lettuce from my garden!

Made it. Loved it. Thank you! Perfect with cobb salad.