Taquitos! Just in time for Cinco de Mayo. One of my pet peeves is when people say that a healthier version of a traditionally unhealthy food tastes just as good. When it obviously doesn’t. “You’ll never know it’s light!” Ya, maybe if you’ve never tasted real food, but most of the time that’s just crap. Anyone who has followed counsel of the diet books to make spaghetti with spaghetti squash instead of pasta knows what I’m talking about. So when I tell you that a lighter version of something really does match up to it’s calorie-dense cousin, you can believe me! That’s why I was pleasantly surprised when I made taquitos at home for the first time. The tortillas baked up nice and crisp, and I found spraying the tops with a little cooking spray and a pinch of salt helped them have that deep-fried flair. And actually, I prefer this baked version because the deep fried ones tend to get so chewy and oily. These are super easy to make and even easier if you prepare the filling ahead of time. You could experiment with all kinds of filling–shredded beef or pork would be great, too. This particular filling is something I came up with for an entirely different recipe but I thought it might work well as a taquito filling and I think I was right. My family gobbled these up.

Make them with some sides for a fun dinner or for appetizers or snacks at a party. Whatever you make them for, this is totally “fun food”! And if you’re viewing this in a feed reader, come on over and check out our Daily Bite section that’s full of links to more fun food!

Then roll it up as tight as you can.

Place seam side down on the baking sheet. Lay all of the taquitos on the baking sheet and make sure they are not touching each other. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or an oil mister and sprinkle some kosher salt on top.

Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown.

The ones pictured below are actually flour tortillas- which I found out I like just as well (maybe even better!) than corn ones.

Dip ‘em in salsa, sour cream, guacamole, or this dressing.

Makes 12-16

Freezer Instructions: Prepare the taquitos through rolling them out and placing them on the baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the freezer and freeze until solid, then transfer to a large freezer bag. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 425 and place the taquitos on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.

Wanna make it a meal?
Serve with a side of Black Beans and a simple green salad with Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing. Wash it down with some Brazilian Lemonade!

Looking for the beef version? It’s right here!

Lastly, recently this recipe was noted in an article in the Chicago Sun-Times where the author noted that they were “some of the best taquitos I’ve ever had” I’ll take it!

Chef E says:

Now you are making me hungry, and these are so easy to make…

CeramiquesDeCherie says:

If It has lime and cilantro, I AM IN! I reviewed the recipe carefully and am certain this will easily be a family favorite. I plan to have the kids help me with the OAMC and this will be a recipe for the list. Thank you for all your hard work and I am so sorry that you missed the cut off by such a small amount!

Andrea says:

These look great! I agree with the previous comment – “if it has lime and cilantro, I am in!”

We will definitely be trying these out.

A Touch of Country says:

my mouth is watering as I type this!

Yum!

Erin says:

I was reading this recipe, and seriously my stomach started growling. Looks delish!

Kara says:

I have never actually had taquitos before. They sure look delicious, I think this would be a great recipe to start with!

Riddle Girl says:

These look so yummy. I will have to add them to my menu for next week.
    Also…THANK YOU for the Creamy Lime Cilantro Dressing recipe. Mine is finally to the point that I can’t tell if it is mine or leftovers from Cafe Rio! PERFECT!

Sharon says:

These look delish! I agree with you on making things “lighter” some things just don’t work. I have found a good trick of putting my olive oil in a spray bottle…Then you can easily spray your pans, tortilla, bread, sautee veggies etc. It will help you go “lighter” on the oil but still have the fabulous taste!

becca says:

I am making these. TODAY. Haha they look great!

And about the Cafe Rio dressing… we went to the opening of the Cafe Rio in Idaho falls last week and a guy a few places ahead of me in line asked the manager what was in the dressing that made it so good. The manager laughed and told him it was a secret recipe.
    I smiled smugly to myself because I had a homemade tub of it in my refrigerator already :)

Kate says:

Yum!!!! My freshman year of college, my roommate and I would go get taquitos at that true-blue Mexican restaurant in the Macey’s parking lot in Provo that’s open all night and serves stuff like brain tacos. We’d squeeze fresh lime juice all over them and it made them SOOOOOOOOOOO good! I can’t wait to try these!

Katie Tyler says:

Just in time for my Cinco de Mayo party!! yay! thanx

Malesa says:

Happy Days! I love food like this. I am also looking forward to your vegetarian recipes – not because I’m vegetarian (because I’m not), but because I have tried to find some great recipes in my attempt to become more vegetarian-like. Am I making sense? Probably not.

Victoria says:

OK… I’ll be a follower:)

tara says:

Making these tonight! Thanks for the awesome recipe.

Leslie says:

Love these. Too cute abd packes with flavor

Diamond says:

My gluten free children LOVE taquitos. It will be fun to make them as well.

Amanda says:

I made these for a friend who had knee surgery the other day and cant wait to try them for my family. The chicken mixture was AMAZING. and we love taquitos. the kosher salt is a great idea!
    Thanks!

Kell says:

We just made these over the weekend. YUM! I had my husband grill the chicken first and then I shredded it. The whole family loved them. I’m making them to take to a family for dinner tonight! Thanks!

Mindy says:

Now I’m having visions of making a huge batch of these and throwing them in the freezer for quick dinners! I love taquitos!

thanks for the tips on using corn tortillas–they drive me nuts when they fall apart and unwrap!

Carrie says:

This looks SO yummy! My husband hates cream cheese though, so could I substitute with cream of chicken soup? Would that taste funny?

Carrie- you really can’t taste the cream cheese, it just makes it nice and creamy and holds it all together. I say you just don’t tell him it’s in there ;)

cathy says:

I made these last night, and while mine were not nearly as pretty as yours, they were SO good! We all agree that this recipe is a keeper!

~Sister Boogie Woman says:

I made these and the cilantro/lime dressing tonight for cinco de mayo!

They SO rocked!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Everything I have tried from you has been just the best EVER!

My 13 year old son has decided that these will be prepared for his next birthday dinner!

The apple streusel stuff is tomorrow! I am so excited about making it that I am a little worried I might lose sleep.

You guys should make a book.
    Have you seen Blurb?

Morgan says:

These were fantastico!
    I used canned chicken from Costco because I was in a hurry (2 cans for the 1 cup) and shredded it in my kitchen aid with the sauce. It was very quick and easy and great. This will be a recipe to keep when trying to make something fast.

LeBeau Family says:

These are so great! Our family loved them!!! For some reason my husband always can tell when it’s a “Sara” recipe. I’ve lied a couple of times and said I was just inspired…(please don’t sue me for copyright breaches) but my husband rarely falls for it. We loved the black beans with it as well as the creamy lime dressing. I’ve made that dressing several times and it gets better and better. Thanks so much!

Steph says:

Amazing! In all 5 of her years, I’ve never seen my daughter take a bite of chicken voluntarily. And she loved these! Thanks for the great recipe :)

Melanie says:

Made these. Loved them. Ate way too many. Rationalized in my favor because they weren’t fried. Thanks for the recipe.

Angie says:

What is the difference between green salsa and original (red) salsa? I have tons of regular salsa and I'd like to avoid buying green if I can. Is there a great difference in flavor?

Angie, ya there actually is a difference in the salsas. Green salsa is made mostly from tomatillos, cilantro, lime, and jalapenos. The flavor is definitely different. But if you don't want to buy it, go ahead and throw in some regular salsa. It won't taste quite the same, but it will still be good!

Natalie says:

Do you really put Cream Cheese in these? Or is it Sour Cream?

Yup Natalie- it's cream cheese :)

Zach says:

Sorry, it was my husband who doubted it. After I read all the comments I realized I should have read before posting a question! Anyways, we had them tonight and they were DELICIOUS!!! My husband loved them and surprisingly I did too!!! (I'm probably the worlds pickiest eater) THANKS!!!

I guess I need to work on my corn tortilla rolling technique–b/c mine didn't look that pretty. But so yummy!! I will be making them again soon!!

Andrea says:

Wow. These were SO GOOD! I made a double recipe and froze half of them. I baked the frozen ones for dinner a couple nights ago and they were just as great as the first night. Yum. Yum.

fabulous everything says:

These are sooo yummy… better than anything fried! I made them with corn and white tortillas since I love both. They are sooo good right out of the oven.. sticky cheese hot goodness. Always love your recipes. If you had a book I'd buy it. But I do bookmark ALL your recipes pretty much!

Rebecca says:

Hi,

I made these last night. They are DELISH! Thank you so much for posting this recipe.

mckay says:

I made these tonight…they were so good! They are a winner at my house. Mine were not nearly as pretty as yours though.

Jessica says:

I made these tonight and they were super delicious! I'll definitely be adding this to my Google bookmarks, along with the TON of your other recipes that I have already included in my arsenal. Thanks for another great one!

Bethany says:

I used this technique tonight to make crisy bean and beef burritos (flour tortillas). It worked great with them as well. The only difference is that they needed a slightly shorter time in the oven.

Thanks!

Vanessa says:

I came by to get your hoagie roll recipe b/c I want to make it on Thursday. I guess serendipity led me here. I have a similar baked taco recipe, and a few variations, which I prepare regularly. Everyone calls them those taco things. (I have pics, but no written recipe b/c I eyeball it, but I'll send you a link when I get it together.)

They are always a hit, so I used the filling as inspiration for an entry in the Pillsbury Bake Off about 2 or 3 years ago. I bought lots of Pillsbury products, toiled and experimented. I didn't win. ;)

seaturtletreasures says:

These are amazing. We were tempted to eat them all. So yummy!

Jenny says:

I made these for dinner tonight and they were AMAZING! So easy, so good, and we felt like we were really eating something bad!

LollyChops says:

These are simply the best! My hubs ate 4 of them in one sitting!

I cannot wait to try the beef version!

Thanks you guys!

Meagan says:

Oh wow… these were SO good. Definitely a keeper. I also figured weight watcher POINTS… with 1/3 less fat cream cheese, they're only about 2 points each (if you use corn tortillas).

We loved them! Thanks for the recipe!

Becky says:

We have made these several times. Delish! We have even made them without Cream Cheese to fit them in our new eating plan and they are still so good! Thank You!!!

Trimble says:

This has made it into our 30 Day Meal Plan, we love them that much! Thank you, we LOVE your recipes!

Stephanie says:

OH MY GOSH!! I absolutely LOVE your site! I have an awesome crock pot recipe for some Sweet Pork that I serve at least once a month with some yellow Spanish rice, but I felt guilty to just but regular Ranch dressing on it because it deserved so much more!! I can't wait to try this! Thanks again for your delicious recipes and for your step-by-step photos!! and for your hard work!

kim says:

i made these tonight. doubled the recipe and flash froze them. they were really good fresh. i hope the frozen ones will taste just as good. ;) thanks for the recipe.

Leigh says:

I swear I drool anytime I read this blog!! These are now a new family favorite. My husband has now declared Tuesday night Taquito night!

Love this site!

This chicken mixture is so amazing, I can eat it with a fork! The first time I made them as the taquitos and they were a big hit with the kids. I love the mixture so much I use it for baked chicken chimichangas! I smother them with the same green salsa, cheese and sour cream. YUMMMM!!

I love your site. Thanks for all the amazing recipes!

Amber says:

Holy crap! These are AMAZING!!! Can't wait to try the beef ones. I will never eat the frozen ones at Sam's club again! Thank-you so much for sharing this recipe!!! :)

penthoughts says:

I made these just to try out because I thought they would be a good party food and the are SO good!!!

Alison says:

I can't believe I waited THIS long to make these! We had these tonight and they were a hit! I'm seriously going to make another batch tomorrow to keep in the freezer. These would be awesome to pull out for kids' lunches.

Leslie says:

These were so yummy! I used fresh garlic instead of the granulated garlic because I already had fresh garlic in our pantry. I have made baked chicken taquitos before, but these were WAY better. It's the sauce/mixture that makes these so delicious. I will FOR SURE make these again.

Thanks for the recipe!

Jenna says:

I substituted ground beef for the chicken and THEY WERE AMAZING!! I left the green salsa out (for my 2 year old's sake) and they still had a lot of fantastic flavor. Next time I think i will try the chicken. Thanks again!

Lauren says:

These were a hit when I made them the first time. The second time, when my husband discovered I was making them again, I thought he was going to hyperventilate. These are AWESOME!!!

Jess says:

Thanks for sharing this! My boyfriend secretly wants to deep fry everything we eat, and I try to keep things lite so this ended up being a perfect for us.

Jess says:

I know this is an old post, but I'm commenting anyway, because I have a question. These were a hit at our house. I'm curious, though, if I can freeze them. I'd like to make a big batch and have them to heat up one or two for lunch. Is that possible?

Jess-
    Yes, you can just flash freeze them and pop them in a zip-lock bag. Then just bake a few at a time!

penniesonaplatter says:

These are amazing! I've been making them and freezing them. So, before baking, I cool them in the fridge, then wrap them individually in plastic wrap and throw them in a freezer bag. I love that I don't even have to thaw them to bake them!! Just bake at 425 for 20 minutes and they are perfect!! Thank you!!!

mnmspecial says:

My 1 yr old loves these as much as my 6 and 7 yr olds. I have to double up or we don't have enough for dinner. My kids think I am awesome because I can make "takguidos". I love you for mentioning the flour tortillas because I would have never thought it. Thanks for all the great "spicy" recipes!

Amy says:

I finally got around to making this-used your "fauxotisserie" chicken recipe, too -will do that often now that I've tried it. These were wonderful with flour tortillas. We had leftovers for lunch today and I pan-fried them in just a little bit of oil and it really crisped up the tortillas.

Stephanie Lynn says:

This look delicious! Thanks for the recipe – I'm adding it to my monthly meal plan for next month!

Laura says:

I just stumbled on your site because I am OBSESSED with cadbury mini-eggs and love the cookie recipe, and found myself (three hours later) still bookmarking recipes I wanted to try. These taquitos were a huge hit! Thank you! I also prefer flour tortillas, so I used the uncooked kinda you buy at Costco–heavenly. :)

Hailey says:

I have never had a better taquito in my life!!! These were so scrumptious, whole family loved them, thanks so much for sharing :)

Katie says:

I love your blog, thanks so much for sharing.

I'm making these for a party, and I added a veggie option made of black beans, carmelized cumin onions, and sharp cheddar. This is such a great technique, thanks again!

Kate says:

My husband and I love these so much. Today he saw I was making them again and he practically peed his pants he was so excited!

Sheena and Seanna says:

I tried these and loved them so much I had to post a link to them on my blog. Thanks for a new favorite!

Meridee says:

Is green salsa the same thing as your green enchilada sauce? I have some of that in the freezer.

Meridee- it's not quite the same, but you could use it in a pinch!

Cherry Blossoms says:

Made these tonight but used red salsa {didn't have green} and they turned out FANTASTIC! Thank you!

Xeyedmary says:

I also made these last night for the first time- OH.MY.GOD!!
    They were a huge hit. Daughter took the last one to work to reheat for lunch and texted me to please make these often.
    Do I bake them and then freeze, or freeze them unbaked? I can foresee needing to have these in wait in the freezer at all times!
    I also printed out your beef taquito recipe- you can bet I'll be trying that! Thanks!

Xeyed Mary- I'm so glad these were a hit with your family! I freeze them unbaked, but you could probably freeze them baked as well.

senovia says:

I made this last night and it was a HUGE hit! My DH is sick of chicken, and he said it's "stupid good!" (that's a compliment!) and my kids said it was the best thing I ever cooked! THANK YOU!

MDI says:

I made these taquitos the other night with the Creamy Lime Cilantro Dressing for dipping. WOW!!!! My husband and I INHALED these. We ate the leftovers last night and I just made more taquito filling for tonight. Thank you so much! This is DEFINITELY one of those all-time keeper recipes. It will make a great appetizer for parties, too.

One question, I need to make some more dressing/dip, but I am out of ranch mix. Any ideas?

MDI- glad you liked them! You could use our recipe for homemade ranch dressing- just cut the buttermilk in half (and if you don't have buttermilk, just use milk) and that should work great. Here's the link:

MDI says:

Perfect, thank you! I will be sending friends and family to your site.

Next up are your beef taquitos! : )

Audrey Lee says:

As I was popping these into the oven I thought…might as well squeeze out the remaining lime on top! These taquitos are AMAZING without any improvements, but I have to say, we LOVED the extra lime on top! The only other way to crank the yumminess factor past perfect is to dip them in homemade guacamole…I make one just like Chipotle's :-)

Amy says:

I made these tonight and WOW!!! Instead of the green salsa I used a red chipotle salsa I had on hand (so I omitted the cilantro & green onions) and used flour tortillas. They turned out almost like our favorite store brand but EVEN BETTER! Even my 9 yr old picky eater went back for seconds!
    I am trying to replace store bought convenience foods (like taquitos) with home-made versions & these are just perfect!!!
    I am new to the site & I just love how you include tips for using leftovers, freezing, and pre-preparing items! I can't wait to try more recipes!

LadyJayPee says:

We had these for dinner tonight and they were very good! Thank you for sharing your recipe!

monika says:

I keep browsing your blog for last couple of months and tried at least 5 recipes all of them turn out yummy.
    Today this one was on my list and Oh Men!!! so easy and delicious!

Holly says:

Love your blog…everything I have tried is wonderful (and I have tried a lot in the last month since I discovered it)! I can't rave enough…thanks for sharing your amazing recipes.

Question about the taquitos: I am making a bunch for a freezer meal swap and I am debating if I should freeze the taquitos before baking or if I should bake them, cool, then freeze. What do you recommend?

They are so good…can't wait to share some with friends :) Thanks!!

What A Dish! says:

I just made these for dinner tonight and I LOVE them!! They seem to be popular with the whole fam. They are easy too. My husband grilled chicken last night while the grill was still hot for me to use in these. I think the chicken/cheese mixture would make a great dip with Fritos Scoops. :) Thanks for the recipe!

Our Little King-dom says:

Fabulous! These are so amazing. I've recently discovered your site, and am in LOVE! These were a huge hit with my family and are now a common request by the Mister. Love, Love, Love your site. I can't stop cooking your stuff…it's all so yummy!

Bethany says:

I wanted to tell you guys how often I use this technique now! I rarely make the actual recipe, but my family LOVES having "Crispy Beef and Bean Burritos". I fill up flour tortillas with refried beans, ground beef, and seasoning and bake them they same way as directed in this recipe. It is always a hit. I've also been known to sneak leftovers into the tortillas, and something about that crispy outside makes my family swill it. Tonight I filled it up with some leftover chicken, rice, a can of beans and some salsa and it got inhaled by everyone and no complaints about "leftovers".
    I've also discovered that my burrito versionn freezes really well and it is cheaper than buying prepackaged burritos.

Bethany says:

LOL! I just read back in the comments and it looks like I said the same thing back in August! I guess it goes to show how much we really like it!

Kaitlyn says:

This recipe has become a staple in our menu! These are so incredibly flavorful and a huge crowd pleaser. It is nice that they're not fried but still have a great crunch!

Thanks for another great recipe.

MammaDucky says:

I've been making chimichungas with the same, healthier techinique for a long time! My husband prefers the baked versions over the fried! I'm making the breakfast taquitos right now!

Do you think these would freeze well? I am always thinking of things to freeze for my husband to take to work… Thanks!

Katie K. says:

OH. MY. GOODNESS! These were so awesome! I made the filling ahead of time and snuck a taste – and was so excited because I knew they were going to be delicious. And they were! Thanks so much for an awesome recipe, I'll be trying many more!

Alan and Mindee says:

These were very yummy! However I would suggest using flour tortillas instead. The corn tortillas still cracked pretty bad even when I heated them and followed the instructions.
    Thanks for the great recipe!

p.s. I only had regular salsa on hand and they were still fabulous! I will have to try the green salsa next time!

Felicia says:

My husband and I loved these! Thanks!

AshleyCrouch says:

These are so yummy! Thank you! I really liked them with the flour tortillas.

ReFabulous says:

We LOVE this recipe! It has become a family favorite, almost a staple, really. We prefer the flour tortillas, but the corn were much tastier than I expected.

We've also converted at least 5 more families to this site, based on this recipe alone. You gals are FANTASTIC, and I look forward to your new recipes!

Jessica says:

I made these last night and they were wonderful! I will definitely be adding this to our favorite dinner recipes! We had them with a side of homemade guacamole, sour cream, black beans and spicy corn. 12 tortillas came in my package and I didn't have any filling left over – it was the perfect amount. I can't wait to eat the leftovers tonight.

Snuggs says:

Made these yesterday evening and they were yummy! Great flavor! I've always had the frozen kind and never thought about making them myself until I saw this recipe. These are much better than the frozen kind (and better for you too, I'm sure) and easy to make. Thank you!

Kendra says:

Oh man, these look awesome. I plan on trying them. I'll blog about my results as well (with you as a reference site, of course (:)

Thanks for the awesome recipes, can't wait to try more!

Melee says:

These look so yummy. I came accross your blog not to long ago and nothing that I have made has disappointed me. I am having a party this weekend and making your red beans and rice and jambalaya. Everything has been so so good. I was wondering if you have a good tamale recipe. I was raised in California and am living in the south and miss a good tamale

Adrienne says:

Quick question about freezing – do you freeze after you have cooked them and then reheat them or do you freeze after you have assembled but not cooked? Thanks! I'm jonesin' for some mexican food!

Adrienne- you can do it either way. I personally assemble first and freeze before baking.

Annie says:

Made these with the Cilantro Lime Dipping sauce and the black beans. WOW! Amazing – all had quite a kick as I didn't hold back on the salsa, hot sauce or spices – boyfriend (whose awful picky) stated – You can make these again! Big win in our house. visiting g/f loved them :)
    (I used flour fyi)

Sooo good – I might just have to make everything on your blog….

Jenissa says:

these look great… I am making a double batch tonight so that I can freeze some extra while to eat when our kitchen is gutted next week/month/whenever hubby gets to it. One question, I plan on freezing them unbaked, and I'm wondering, when I cook them, do I need to thaw them, or do I just toss them on a baking sheet frozen, and then spray them w/cooking spray and salt (or do you do that step before you freeze?) thanks so much!

Jenissa- you can do it either way. You don't have to thaw them, you can just stick them right on the sheet frozen (spray the sheet first) or if it's more convenient to let them thaw out in the fridge that works too!

Jenissa says:

Thanks you're a peach! I made the double batch as I mentioned earlier, however, I don't think they're all going to make it to the freezer (if any!) Hubby took one bite and said, "Wow, this is a keeper." We ate it with your lime rice ("Another keeper" in his words) and brazilian lemonade. This was in the same week we had chunky monkey pancakes for dinner =) as well as your black bean soup. I used to think I was a bad cook, now I'm convinced I just had bad recipes! Cooking is fun again b/c I'm always enjoying the results! I love how ya'lls recipes are non-time consuming and 100% there in flavor. We've got french dip sandwich meat in the crockpot for tonight and I'll be making your tortellini soup this week too. As well as your Thai noodles…and coconut chicken… did I mention I'm hooked? Well, I am. Love love love you guys! Btw, I'm a newbie to the site and I love how you have links sprinkled throughout your food posts. Like when you say, "Goes well with…" or "if you have leftovers of this, use it in this…" Yeah. My kitchen has seen more of me in these last two weeks than it has in a long time. Thanks again for sharing your talents!

Stacy says:

These were so yummy! I'm 34 weeks pregnant and have been doubling meals to freeze for when the baby comes, so I doubled these. They were actually so easy to make. I had cooked the chicken ahead and just had to throw them together. We loved them! I served them with the cilantro lime rice and some corn. Thanks for such a great recipe!

Anna says:

My husband doesn't prefer chicken. I made these anyway (because *I like* chicken, heh) and he said something to the effect of, 'See, if you'd cook with chicken like this, I like it.' In other words, we have a winner. :) Oh and as for my opinion, loved them; I used flour tortillas btw and yes….. so very, very tasty!

Katie Rose says:

My husband said the same thing as all the other husbands…"This is a keeper!" I used the corn tortillas, but will try the flour next time.
    Thanks for sharing this! Yummmmm!

lovinwaves says:

This is absolutely amazing! They taste JUST like a restaurant! I was apprehensive about the taste, but WOW! It is a bit spicy, so not sure what is causing that. The lime and cilantro really come through on the taste. Both corn and flour are really good. Thanks sooo much! I am definitely keeping this recipe!

Rebekah says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is the recipe that brought me to your yummy blog and got me hooked. After making them the first time, my husband came home the next night and asked when we could have them again — he'd been craving them all day! I've made them many times since then and just spent the last couple of days making a big batch of both the chicken and the chipotle beef versions so I could have plenty on hand in the freezer. ***One thought/suggestion — if you're lucky enough to live near a Costco that carries the uncooked flour tortillas, I'd definitely recommend using those. It makes the assembly process so easy (no worries about breaking tortillas), and the flavor is unbeatable. Just keep an eye on them in the oven — mine take about 9-10 minutes to cook. Delicious!!!

ilovecroc says:

Could you suggest a quick easy way to get shredded chicken for this recipe? Please? Thank you =) -Tara

ilovecroc- here's a few options!

1. Make your own using any of the methods in this tutorial:

2. Buy a rotisserie chicken from the store

3. Use pre-cooked frozen chicken strips (just thaw in the microwave and chop or shred)

Carrie says:

We made these for our small group and they were a huge hit! They are going into the rotation in our dinner arsenal.

ilovecroc says:

Thank you! I am new to cooking…so I was not sure how easy this "shredding was". You made VERY helpful suggestions. I made these last night for my family,using flour tortillas and corn. Everyone voted on the flour. But the corn ones are more healthy. Your site has helped inspire me to cook more, and my family is so thankfu!-Tara

Trina says:

No idea what I did wrong, but when I made these after about 8 min. my entire kitchen was filled with smoke and the outsides were burnt (I had them at the temp indicated). The insides were SUPER nummy though lol Will try them again, and watch them closely that time! :) Thanks for all the great recipes! Everything I try has turned out great!

Krista Hegstrom says:

I made these last night…SO yummy. Reheated them for lunch in the microwave and they were just as good…so yum!

Kara says:

Can these be frozen using the same freezer directions as the beef ones? Or will these not work as well frozen?

Yup, same instructions, they freeze great.

The Whimsical Princess says:

So yummy! Figured out a neat little trick to combat the cracking corn tortillas. I tried heating them and they still cracked. So I had a couple more I had to make after dinner. I sprayed both sides of the tortilla with no stick spray and then heated them in the microwave. They were perfect, just like when you dip them in oil only these aren't covered in fat. Thanks for the fantastic recipe!

Brenda Sue says:

About how many taquito's does this recipe yeild?? I'm going to double it and freeze half, and I just want to make sure I have enough tortillas? Please respond by emailing me if at all possible, brendasue2003@gmail.com Thank you!!

Kate says:

These have become standard football snacking fare around our house! We love them with shredded pork (that I slow cook with a spice rub in the crock pot) the best. And I even tried a vegetarian version for company. I kept everything else the same, but instead of meat used 1 cup black beans, 1 cup roasted corn and a handful of roasted red peppers. They were awesome and I loved being able to make one thing that pleased my entire family- meat eaters and vegetarians alike. Thanks for a terrific recipe!

Holly Weston says:

Kate & Sara –
    I just found out about your site last month. I have already spent HOURS perusing your recipes (I love to cook and am such a foodie), have ordered your cookbook and am counting the days until it is released and just tonight made this recipe. My husband and 7-year-old loved the taquitos. Next time I'm making at least a double batch and will freeze some. Thanks so much for making cooking even more fun and sharing your tried and true recipes! I live in Logan so if I hear of any book signings I'm comin' over!

abby and paxton says:

I made these yesterday and they ROCK! My husband couldn't stop saying how delicious they were. I took them to work for lunch today, and again they were excellent! I think this will be my next dinner with friends. It's perfect because it makes a lot for a little. THANK YOU so much!

Melanee says:

Mmmmm, these were awesome! Definitely going into the regular rotation. Thank you so much!

Tif says:

These are wonderful! Made 'em last night for dinner and then I had them for lunch AND dinner today! :) I heated them up in the toaster oven and they were still crispy and delicious. Great recipe! Thank you!

Adrienne says:

So I just finished making these for my husband and I and they are delicious!!!! I'm eating one as I type. Anywho Chris, my husband, is such a picky eater YOU HAVE NO IDEA! He devoured them. I topped it off with my famous spanish rice and salsa and wow what a yummo and easy dinner! Thanks for sharing!

Krista & Tyler says:

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I blogged about it and linked it at this site:

We absolutely loved it! They were so easy to make and I love it when my finished product actually looks like yours! These were a HUGE hit!! Thanks again!

Sarah says:

Yum these look de-lish!

Amanda says:

Made these tonight… AWESOME! I used fat free cream cheese and forgot to put the jack cheese in, but they were still packed with flavor and SO GOOD! Thanks for sharing!

Andrea Foster says:

These were AMAZING! I can't wait to make them again. Thank you!

Rob says:

Just thought I would let you know that I made these last night for my husband and he said it was one of the best things I've made!!! YAY!! It's a favorite!! Thanks ladies:) I have to admit, they are very tasty… lots of flavor!!

Kate says:

I made these this evening– Well, I say I made THESE, but it's more accurate to say that I used your recipe as a starting point.
    I didn't have any cream cheese, so I substituted vanilla yogurt and added extra cayenne (I coat my chicken liberally in hot sauce, cayenne and chili powder before browning it in a pan) and cilantro to counteract the sweetness. We ran out of salsa verde, but I added a chopped tomato and roasted red pepper to add a little bit of veggies to my meaty-cheesy mixture (I'm incapable of stopping at a "sprinkle" when cheese is involved). It was still delicious even after I was done messing with it!!! I'm making a wimpy (non-spicy) version for my mom tomorrow.
    I love your site and I LOVE this recipe <3

Demarcus Family says:

I just made your cilantro dressing and it is as good as cafe rio! yay!!! These taquitos are getting ready to go into the oven as I type this but I was wondering if you had any nutritional information for these? calories most importantly. Thanks!!

Laura says:

Went to Nutritiondata.com and was able to get apx nutritional values per taquito (if you make 8).

Made with flour tortillas – about 285 caleries in each taquito
      Made with flour tortillas and fat free cream cheese – 263 calories in each
      Made with corn tortillas – about 231 calories in each
      made with corn tortillas and fat free cream cheese – about 207 calories in each

• Becky says:

When I make them, I get 17-20, and I buy tortillas that for some reason are only 85 calories per, rather than 110 like the rest seems to be. With cilantro-lime ranch dressing, mine turn out to be 202 per with 1 T. dressing

Demarcus fam- nope, I don't have it- sorry!

Allison says:

These were DELICIOUS!
    I will definitely be making these again.

Laura says:

made these for my family (15 year old boy, 18 year old girl and 20 year old son) and they were a hit. I made a batch and a half because as I said I am feeding 15 and 20 year old boys. I made the tortillas and my oldest helped by shredding the chicken. I love that you state they can be made with flour totillas because I can’t eat corn so I always have to find a way to substitute. I used fat free cream cheese and fat free milk, regular jack cheese and just added a small can of mild diced greeen chilis. And the lime cilantro dressing to go with is great! This is definitely a new favorite in my home.

natalie says:

These are so good! I freeze them, so my fam can eat them anytime!

Saskia says:

Oh. My. Yumminess! Made these tonight with the sweet and savory coconut rice! Would it be naughty to admit I licked the bowl that I mixed the filling in?

Erin says:

I really enjoyed these, and served them with your lime-cilantro dressing. Perfect!

Lindsey says:

My husband loves these! I say taquitos are for dinner and he’s home early! These are so good and so quick and easy to make. Love them!

Danna says:

My family loves these so much we have lovingly changed the name to “Jimmers”. We have these every time we watch BYU play! We’ve even added these to our Laurel recipe collection.

Lauren myers says:

Hey Sara,
    I know this is by no means newly posted but o can’t wait to make this next week for dinner. I know you made some suggestions as what to have on the side, but was wondering if you think having the cilantro lime rice as well would be overkill? Lol I just can’t wait to try it all!

Leann says:

We made these last night and they were a HUGE hit! Thanks for the recipe.

Jennie says:

I just made these tongight and my whole family LOVED them. I tried them with white corn tortilla’s and flour tortilla’s but I prefered the white corn the best. I just found your website a few weeks ago, so this is the first recipe I have tried. There are so many recipes that I want to try but was wondering what are some of your favorite or the most popular recipes.

Nicole says:

OMGosh, these were *DELICIOUS*! I have to admit I’d never made Mexican food fancier than a taco seasoning packet, so I had to buy most of these seasonings. But these taquitos are AMAZING and it was so easy! I made some for the freezer too because the family LOVED them! Thank you!
    Also, thanks for the tip about the green salsa ‘hotness’. I am hot sauce wuss so the La Costena was plenty for me!

Anna says:

I’m always happy to see a recipe that calls for green salsa! If I can’t get fresh regular salsa, jarred green salsa is what I go for :) My husband decided to try out being a vegetarian a couple of weeks ago so when I made these tonight, I used 2 cans of drained black beans. I added about 1/2 cup extra pepperjack because 2 cans of beans equals more like 3 cups rather than the 2 cups of chicken the recipe says. The taquitos turned out great! I will definitely make them again and may mash the beans some first to prevent them from falling out as much. So if anyone’s wondering if this recipe is good with beans instead of meat, the answer is a resounding yes.

Michelle says:

I’m making these in a crock pot today.

We make “salsa chicken” on a regular basis for the days I don’t have time to cook – throw chicken and salsa in the crockpot and head out the door. I shred it right in the crockpot when dinners ready and serve with rice or in tortillas with cheese & sour cream.

This recipe is going to take it up quite a few notches! I didn’t add the cream cheese, cilantro or green onion yet. I’ll add that at the end and assemble the taquitos. The house smells great! Can’t wait for dinner:)

Aliessa says:

Thanks so much! We had these for dinner with salad tonight and my kids LOVED them – even the fussy ones, AND the 2 year old! The older ones liked them so much they want them in their school lunches. A definite winner! Thanks again :)

Jaime says:

I have had this recipe bookmarked for a year!!! Finally, I made them, they are the BEST homemade taquitos I’ve ever had! So yummy, the entire family loved them. I even craved them for breakfast the next morning!! Hahaha! Thanks for yet another wonderful recipe!!

Jesica Mangum says:

My sister made these when she was visiting a couple of weeks ago and my kids came home from Grandma’s raving about the ‘mini tacos’ that aunt sadie made!! I had to give them a try and they are wonderful!! Thanks so much!!!

Amy says:

Just found your site and these are the first thing I made. LOVE them!! Made them for my 65+ y.o. parents and 14 y.o. son and they were a HUGE hit! Thank you!

Krysta N. says:

Just made these for dinner (I had originally planned chicken tacos) and they were scrumptious!!! My hubby loved them and looked longingly at the 2 I had earmarked as going in the freezer for a future easy lunch. I didn’t have green salsa or lime juice so I subbed regular salsa and lemon juice and about 1/2 tsp dried cilantro since I didn’t have any fresh. I also was using up tortillas from the freezer including a lone homemade wheat tortilla which was equally as tasty (if not more so) as the white flour ones. We will definitely make these again – it was super easy to put together! The filling filled 6 medium size tortillas. I bet it would get the 12-16 mentioned on your recipe if I was using small taco-sized ones. But we just cut them in half to make them easier to eat and it was awesome!

Christina says:

These turned out fantastic! Crispy and full of flavor, definitely better than the fried versions.

Whitney says:

I wanted to let you know I made a “super healthy” version of this yummy recipe on my blog and linked it back to you. My family LOVES these!

Kelly says:

We made these for dinner last night and my 6 year old consumed 4 dubbing it her most favorite dinner ever…and that says a lot because my kids all eat like birds.

Stephanie says:

I just made these (w/ flour tortillas)- YUMMMMMMM! Thanks for the great recipe. And they were so easy. I’m hoping the hubby listens and gets me your cookbook for mother’s day like I asked for :)

Kimalee says:

I made these last night.( WE LOVED THEM) My friend told me about them and said her family loved them so I double the recipe and am excited to have leftovers!!!

Scoob says:

We loved these with flour tortillas – I think we just don’t like baked corn tortillas.
    Also good using garam masala instead of cumin for an Indian twist to the recipe!

Rebecca Klinke says:

Yep, these were really THAT good. I made them for book club last night and all the ladies were impressed. (Especially because I’m typically the gal that brings a bag of chips and a jar of salsa!) Thank you!

Shelby says:

I made this but substituted the verde salsa for a small can of chopped hatch green chilis and put a few tablespoons of water to this mixture to compensate for the salsa. I also used flour tortillas… They came out FANTASTIC! I’m definitely going to play with this recipe some more, I see some creamy chipotle taquitos in my near future… Thanks for sharing :)

Jami says:

There are a few times in my life where I find something that I think everyone should know about (like when I discovered the magic eraser). When I found this blog I knew it was one of those times. I love it! And I made these taquitos tonight and all three of my kids loved them. My husband did too. They are easy and super good. I would use this recipe to entertain. Note- I used the uncooked tortillas from Costco and it made them all the more amazing. Thanks ladies

Karen says:

Made these for dinner the other night and they were great. I substituted the green salsa with a creamy cilantro “dip”-perfect!!!

Jessica says:

I made these last night for dinner and they were Amazing!!! I really liked how the tortilla was a bit crunchy. I also made it with the Brazilian Lemonade and the lime cilantro dressing. So good! I am excited to try out more recipes and am hoping I get your recipe book for my birthday next month. ;)

Rebecca Klinke says:

I’ve made this twice in the last two weeks and my mouth is watering now as I think about them! Delicious! Dipped in salsa and sour cream, I am in heaven!

Heather says:

I am making these tonight! I already put together the mix to go in the tortillas and it smells delicious! I can’t wait to try them! I love all of your recipes that I have tried so far!

I made these last night, took pictures for my blog, and can’t find my pictures anywhere in my camera. I posted your picture but linked it back to your site. I have made a lot of your recipes and am a huge follower. I sing your praises as much as I can.

Heather says:

These were AMAZING!!! My daughter was literally licking her plate off! Thank you!!! My husband says they taste just like in Mexico! We’ll definitely be having these again!

Jamy says:

Very impressive. These are the first taquitos I’ve made and liked! They were delicious. I made it a meal with the black beans and Brazillian Lemonade. So wonderful! Thanks for your great recipes and your easy-to-follow (and understand!) instructions. =)

Laura says:

I made these last night for dinner and I love them! Very, very good. Thank you. We ate them with the guacamole you also have posted and it was fantastic.

sarah crosby says:

Do you think whole wheat tortillas would work as well? Wanting to make these tonight, but only have the whole wheat tortillas! Might just have to try it to see!

sarah crosby says:

Tried them last night with whole wheat tortillas and they were WONDERFUL!!! Both the husband and I loved them!

Alyssa says:

We love these!! I make them probably once a week because it’s quick and I have most of the ingredients already. As I was making them yesterday I decided that it would be a great filling for enchiladas! So I think I’m going to try that next week.

Sara says:

The BEST taquitos EVER!!! I can’t say how much I love them! I add a few more calories and get some queso to dip them in! haha but everyone loves these! I make these all the time for work functions or for families who are in need of meals for whatever reason. It’s easy to fill and roll up and hand them off to the family to heat up whenever they need! I’m about to go make more for a work lunch! YUM You must try this!!

Erica says:

I made these last night for my family for Cinco de Mayo. SUCCESS and easy! Only ingredient I didn’t have on hand was onion powder, but it tasted just fine without it.

Had some trouble working with my first round of towel-covered corn tortillas but ended up heating the others for 1 minute instead of 30 seconds. Like you said, the hotter the better!

They were delicious. I’m very proud of my end result! Thanks!

~E

Mom of Twins says:

I made the Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos for Cinco De Mayo and they were delicious! My 3yr old twins also loved them, and I couldn’t wait till the next day to eat the leftovers. Thank you for sharing, these are being added to my recipe box!

Cajungirl3651 says:

These are delicious! Almost everyone loved them, my daughters are just strange and dont like Mexican food much, not sure how they are related to me…
    Question- mine kind of exploded in the oven, the stuffing oozed out everywhere, making a hard to clean mess and more importantly loss of yummy innards. What did I do wrong? Overcook or overstuff or both possibly?
    Made with your black bean soup also yummy, my son liked dipping the taquitos in the soup- which was a tasty treat!

Yep- probably overstuffed! Keep the filling about an inch away from either rolled end to leave “oozing” room :)

TaraJoy says:

This is our new family favorite!! Thanks for a fantastic recipe!!

Monica says:

OMGosh! I was a skeptic & THESE ROCKED! I used some leftover Greek Lemon Chicken I had. I doubled the meat/cheese mixture because I needed to use the chicken up but they turned out about the same size as yours because I used large tortillas. The baked flour tortillas were so yummy & crunchy baked. If you haven’t made these yet, do it TONIGHT!

Jen E says:

I made these for dinner tonight and both my husband and my 3 year old loved them! I can’t wait to play around with different fillings and dipping sauces. Thanks for another wonderful recipe!

Lynette says:

I’ve made these several times, but got the recipe off of “the girl who ate everything.” I don’t know why I didn’t check out the link to your site before! These are delicious, and I often use the spice combo for other thing like chicken tacos and stuff.

Sarah says:

Hey girls- totally just found your site while searching for how to cook chicken! LOVING all the recipes!!!!! I am NOT a cook, but you makes these dishes look pretty do-able even for me! ;) QUESTION about THIS RECIPE tho- where do you get (or how can I make) the green salsa? Do you buy it at the store? I’ve seen it at restaurants, etc. but never really seen it at the store. Anyhoo, I wanna try these taquitos sooo bad!!!! thanks so much!!! =0)

Glad you found us Sarah! You can find green salsa in the regular salsa aisle at the grocery store, or in the Latin Foods aisle :)

Alessandra says:

I just made these and they came out absolutely fantastic!! :) thank you!

Rebecca says:

So EASY! My 4 kids DEVOURED them ALL! I literally had to make more in the middle of dinner for hubs and I!

Thanks SO much!!

Jenny says:

I love this recipe – so good. In fact, every recipe that I have tried from your blog is amazing. Thank-you for sharing them with us.

Just made these for dinner. I used flour tortillas and added a can of black beans. Big hit with everyone in the family. Think we will be adding this to the “rotation”.

Thanks!

tia bennett says:

Do you think these could be frozen? at what step do you think it would work best? I am trying to find a quick heat up for meals on the run.

I am trying it this week and will let you know how it goes.
    tia

Jami says:

I just stumbled upon your blog via a pin on pinterest three days ago. I saw these and immediately HAD to make them. I’m not the biggest fan of green salsa so I opted for red and they were amazing. :) My husband and I devoured them. I’ve been scoping your blog out since I found it and can’t wait to try the coconut chicken fingers!

Lisa says:

I made them up to the point where you are supposed to spray and bake them in the oven and then froze them in a Pyrex pan making sure the taquitos weren’t touching. I took them out of the freezer, sprayed with oil, sprinkled with salt and baked them for a few minutes longer than stated. They heated up perfectly. Next time, if I am going to freeze and bake, I will pinch and roll them up with the top and bottom closed so that the filling will not spill out of the top. These would make a great appetizer for a party as they can be made ahead of time and baked when needed. Thanks for a great recipe!

Lisa says:

Oh and I also doubled the recipe but replaced half the chicken with two cups of canned, rinsed black beans pulsed in the food processor. The black beans added creaminess and texture and were cheaper than extra chicken. Thanks!

I have a question. This recipe calls for grated pepperjack cheese. It’s not really possible to grate the pepperjack without it becoming a mutilated ball of cheese. Do you mean shred it? It sort of affects the volume of cheese in the cup so that’s why I am asking. Thanks so much in advance. I made these taquitos today and they are amazing! I carefully measured two tablespoons of filling and some of them still exploded a bit. Next time I may use less filling or figure out a better way to stuff them. I did fold down the edges of two of the tortilla sides to make a fancy end like you did. It looked nice. I used Mission small flour tortillas. I also bought Mission extra thin small corn tortillas but didn’t get to using them yet and I think they will be perfect to use also. My daughter LOVED them. Great recipe!

These are one of my favorites!!! I like to use flour tortillas. So easy and so delicious!

Jenni says:

Used this recipe tonight although I didn’t have any lime (which would have made them THAT much better) it was a HUGE hit!! So yummy and quick to make!

I made these last night with flour tortillas and they were absolutely delicious. I baked four of them last night and froze the other six, so I’m looking forward to just popping them in the oven and having dinner in the near future. This is definitely a recipe I’ll be making again! Oh, I didn’t like the salt on top, though, and ended up brushing it all off. I might have been heavy handed, though.

if I could says:

These are so delicious! Love them so much we wanted to share… we posted a link: http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/2011/05/baked-chicken-taquitos-quick-meal.html

Thanks for another great recipe!!!
    Missy & Kimi
    if I could…

Julie says:

I made these 2 days in a row. My husband and I love it! Thank you so much!

Dorie says:

These are wonderful. My picky 16 year old daughter almost ate the whole batch! We eat chicken tacos often, so I have an easy way to make shredded chicken ahead. Add boneless, skinless chicken breasts to your crock pot. However many you have. add a can of diced tomatoes (with Chilis!), diced onion, garlic, and spices or taco seasoning to your liking. cook till shredable. I package it up in 2 cup servings and freeze. then you have chicken on hand for tacos – or these yummy taquitos. only need to add a few of the ingredients depending on how you seasoned your chicken.

Carly says:

I LOVE these!! I made them last week with chicken & am making black bean ones tonight. I used flour tortillas both times & it worked out great.

Lalani says:

So good, so easy. A hit!

Lois says:

Made these tonight using your Taco Chicken (previously made & frozen). These were WONDERFUL! Thanks so much for the recipe!!

Audrey says:

Made these tonight, and they were delicious! But you already knew that. The best part, that you probably don’t know, is that my toddler practically inhaled these! I wasn’t sure how she would handle the spices, but they were a huge hit. Thank you so much for all your awesome recipes.

Rachel says:

I wondered if you could make bigger taquitos and drizzle some red sauce on them and shredded cheese and make enchiladas?! Mexican food sounds yummy for tonight!