Taquitos! Just in time for Cinco de Mayo. One of my pet peeves is when people say that a healthier version of a traditionally unhealthy food tastes just as good. When it obviously doesn’t. “You’ll never know it’s light!” Ya, maybe if you’ve never tasted real food, but most of the time that’s just crap. Anyone who has followed counsel of the diet books to make spaghetti with spaghetti squash instead of pasta knows what I’m talking about. So when I tell you that a lighter version of something really does match up to it’s calorie-dense cousin, you can believe me! That’s why I was pleasantly surprised when I made taquitos at home for the first time. The tortillas baked up nice and crisp, and I found spraying the tops with a little cooking spray and a pinch of salt helped them have that deep-fried flair. And actually, I prefer this baked version because the deep fried ones tend to get so chewy and oily. These are super easy to make and even easier if you prepare the filling ahead of time. You could experiment with all kinds of filling–shredded beef or pork would be great, too. This particular filling is something I came up with for an entirely different recipe but I thought it might work well as a taquito filling and I think I was right. My family gobbled these up.

Make them with some sides for a fun dinner or for appetizers or snacks at a party. Whatever you make them for, this is totally “fun food”! And if you’re viewing this in a feed reader, come on over and check out our Daily Bite section that’s full of links to more fun food!

Then roll it up as tight as you can.

Place seam side down on the baking sheet. Lay all of the taquitos on the baking sheet and make sure they are not touching each other. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or an oil mister and sprinkle some kosher salt on top.

Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown.

The ones pictured below are actually flour tortillas- which I found out I like just as well (maybe even better!) than corn ones.

Dip ‘em in salsa, sour cream, guacamole, or this dressing.

Makes 12-16

Freezer Instructions: Prepare the taquitos through rolling them out and placing them on the baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the freezer and freeze until solid, then transfer to a large freezer bag. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 425 and place the taquitos on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.

Wanna make it a meal?
Serve with a side of Black Beans and a simple green salad with Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing. Wash it down with some Brazilian Lemonade!

Looking for the beef version? It’s right here!

Lastly, recently this recipe was noted in an article in the Chicago Sun-Times where the author noted that they were “some of the best taquitos I’ve ever had” I’ll take it!

Julie Farani says:

I just made these last night and they were super easy and super yummy! I made them with flour tortillas and was impressed. I LOVE Mexican Food and these are a new favorite!

L Olson says:

I ran across this recipe (thanks to Money Saving Mom) and I love your blog! These were delicious when we had them a few weeks ago. Also, I just realized I froze the remainder of them so they will be great for a quick and easy dinner tonight! Yum!

amelia says:

I made these for lunch today, I substituted green salsa for red salsa (not sure where to find green or what it tastes like) and they were quite good. Something different from my usual checken fingers and fries. The only comment I’d make is even though I went light on the cilantro (maybe one Tablespoon if that) it was still the flavour that stood out most and I am not a huge fan of cilantro so if like me you’re not a huge fan, you need barely any as it is a very flavourful herb and it tends to overpower the other ingreedients. Also I don’t like mine super crispy so I cooked them for 7 minutes which gave them just a nice light browning on the ends and the bottom and a bit of a crunch.

A recipe I’d make again though I might replace the cilantro with fresh parsley which I like more :)

Anita J says:

I made these for dinner, along with yalls quick and easy black bean recipe and I made a side of the cilantro lime dressing, and it was a delicious dinner! :) We all enjoyed it! Thanks!

Jenny says:

So nice to have a new Mexican dish to make! They were a tad spicy for me (I’m a mild/medium salsa kind of girl), but I’ll just cut out the chili powder next time, and they’ll be perfect for my “mild” taste buds! Will definitely be making these again (and with beef too)!

Paige says:

I made these last night and they were DELICIOUS! I’m kind of a spice-sissy, though, so I switched out the regular cream cheese for Philadelphia Santa Fe Blend Cooking Creme and cut out the green salsa and chili powder. So good!!! I will definitely make them again – they’ve quickly become a family favorite!

Jaala Allen says:

I made these for dinner this evening. Oh man- are they delish! And I love the fact that my hands smell like lime and cilantro! Thanks for the recipe!

Erin says:

I eat these about once a week now.

Kathy B. says:

OH.MY.GOSH. These are AMAZING!!! Hubby couldn’t get enough..can’t wait to make another batch and freeze some!!

Julia says:

WOW THESE ARE INCREDIBLE!! I just made them tonight and my husband and I LOVED them. Will defnitely add this to the recipe box. Thanks for sharing this wonderful and easy recipe.

Lucy says:

These sound great. I’m planning on making a double batch to take up to a cottage for a family get together.
    Can I bring them up totally done, and just re-heat when I’m up there? Or is it better to roll them up, and not bake at all until just before serving?

Lucy, I’d recommend getting them all rolled up and ready to go, but baking right before serving. Enjoy!

• Lucy says:

Thanks Sara! I ended up doing the filling at home, and then rolling and baking them up at the cottage. A big hit! My husband loved them. Will be making them again soon, for sure!

erin says:

These are delicious! I served them for a girl’s night party with the cilantro lime dressing and they were a total hit, everyone was begging for the recipe. It was great that I could make the filling and dressing ahead, and only had to fill, roll, and bake before the party. I’ve since made for dinner using leftover roasted/grilled/whatevered chicken. I have always used flour tortillas and tend to spice mine a lot heavier (more salsa, more hot sauce). Great one girls! Got me hooked on the site :)

Kristen says:

These are fantastic. I have made them for everyone I know. I love love love the filling. I have tried them with flour tortillas, white corn tortillas (my favorite) and even put the filling in a enchilada casserole. Yummy.

Lisa says:

My family and I enjoyed these immensely! Can’t believe I’m just now making them, seeing that I’m a Texas girl!

Barbara says:

I tried these last night. They were so good and easy to make! I will definitely make them again. I served mine with sour cream and salsa on the side. Also, I served them with Grilled Stuffed Jalapenos, which I found on http://www.myrecipes.com

Yummy!

Cajungirl3651 says:

Another question, and someone may have asked this but gosh there are too many comments to read on this recipe! While this is yummy and I am planning to make this tonight for dinner I was just wondering if this was good with shrimp instead of chicken (just noticed shrimp are on sale in my neck of the woods this week). Aren’t shrimp and chicken often interchangable? Or am I making that up?

Jordan says:

I have made these several times now – delicious! I use the uncooked tortillas that can be found near the canned biscuits at the grocery store. You just heat them up on a skillet and they taste like they came straight from your favorite Mexican restaurant. Plus, they are super soft so they don’t crack when you bake them.

Krystle B says:

I just made these using fat free cream cheese and they were DELICIOUS! My husband who REFUSES to eat “fat free” things didn’t notice because I didn’t tell him :) He told me how amazing they were! Thanks for a great recipe! It will definitely be a staple in our meal plans!

Ashley says:

We love these in our home! especially the flour tortillas. We also love to dip them in home made cilantro lime ranch! yumm!!

Melissa says:

I just recently discovered your cookbook/website. LOVE IT!!! Just made these taquitos last night for dinner, complete with the Taco Chicken and Cilantro Lime Dressing and WOW were they good! Even my picky eater kids ate them up! Thanks for such a great new addition to our dinner menu!!

Heidi says:

I’ve made these several times and they’re awesome!

Claire says:

Yum mm!!! I just finished making these… 30 min prep since I think I’m slow, but DELICIOUS!! what a treat. The cream cheese is a welcome change from a sour cream base. Go girls!

Helen says:

Claire, please read my comment below. I found that if you put the filling in a zip-top bag you can bang out a whole tray of these pretty quickly. Much faster than spooning it on the tortillas, and not as messy!

Helen says:

I just needed to tell you that once you get the technique down for these, they really become a go-to recipe to stock the freezer! I wind up usually using ground turkey browned and seasoned with taco or southwest seasoning, but you can add pretty much anything to the basic recipe! I found that using flour tortilla seem to roll better for me than the corn ones, and come out just as crunchy when baked.
    As to freezing them, I only ever cook them frozen anymore. It keeps the filling from oozing out onto the pan too much. One more tip: scoop the filling into a zip-top bag, cut off the corner and you can “pipe” the filling onto the tortilla, which makes assembly much faster!
    The only question: does anyone have any filling ideas to turn these into BREAKFAST taquitos?
    Thanks again for a winning recipe!

Helen says:

I just did a search of OurBestBites and found the breakfast taquito recipe! Thanks!!!

Holly says:

These are so tasty! I make them all the time! Thank you so much for this little gem!

Holly @ naturallysweetrecipes.blogspot.com

Allison H says:

These were SO good, I just bought your cookbook and I am having so much fun with the recipes. Thank you :)

Marie Z says:

When we made these, we sprinkled Parmesan cheese on them instead of the salt…super yummy!

Meredith Jones says:

i live in the town where my husband grew up, which happens to be in mexico, and i’m always trying new mexican recipes. i tried this from your cookbook hoping it would reach my husbands expectations – he’s kind of a hard one to please, as far as food goes at least. he took one bite of these and yelled at me from the kitchen (i was across the house) “Meredith – these are awesome!” thanks for the crowd pleaser!!

Jessica says:

Love these! A new family favorite! I blogged about them here. http://valleyofsunshine.blogspot.com/2011/09/best-taquitos-ever.html

Becca AKA Carter's Momma says:

I made these using left over turkey after Thanksgiving….yum-o!! Gonna make them again tonight using the Costco canned chicken, in a pinch so it should do!

AllisonC says:

I’ve had my eye on this recipe for several days, and finally got around to making these today! WHY did I wait so long. These are delish and super easy. 10times better than the ones in the freezer boxes. Thanks!

Sunny says:

These were very yummy!! One of my fav’s!!
    Mahalo!

I am obsessed with these, as is my husband. They are soooo good. They have become a staple in the house. I make fauxtisserie chicken and use it to make these; sometimes I freeze the chicken mix, defrost, then stuff the tortillas and bake.

Jaime says:

I am eating them right now making yummy noises!

Rachel T says:

I made these for dinner the other night and 1 & 1/2′d the recipe thinking I would have enough for friends coming for lunch the next day. What a foolish thought that was! My young daughters ate more than their normal portions – as did my husband and I. There was enough for my husband’s lunch the next day, but that was it! Thanks for another wonderful recipe!

Jaime says:

I made these again tonight with leftover turkey. Followed all directions, just substituted the chicken with all the left over turkey we had from Thanksgiving dinner. They were delicious! Just thought I’d let you know, so if you make a post about what to do with thanksgiving leftovers, you could include this one. :) Thanks!

Anita says:

I’m allergic to gluten, so I make these ahead of time when I come home from college, and then whenever I need a quick dinner back at school, I just pop them in the toaster oven for a couple of minutes and I have a quick, healthy, freezer meal.

(A lot of people asked when they freeze them. I cook them until they’re ALMOST done and then freeze them in giant zip lock bags)

I made them today with a bunch of leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, they turned out great! :)

Thanks again! I love these! …and pretty much everything on this website! :)

-Anita

Anita says:

oh haha, I guess Jaime and I had the same idea! :)

They turned out delicious with the turkey! :)

Jessica says:

Just turned the rest of my leftover turkey into a double batch of taquitos for the freezer!! YUMMM, and way better than choking down leftover turkey for another 3 days :) Thanks for the awesome recipes!

Melissa Mandella says:

OK I am the one who asked if you could make these with shrimp. I finally did it and they were so yummy! The only change I made to substitute the tiny (what we call) gumbo shrimp. OK now that I look at the actual ingredient list- I didnt have green onions so I didnt put that in, but that would have made them better. So if you can get your hands on some fresh Louisiana shrimp, give it a try! Actually mine were not fresh they were frozen. :)

Jill F says:

Made these tonight for something different after Christmas. Everybody L.O.V.E.D. them – even the picky teenage daughter. :) Tried them with white corn tortillas but will use flour tortillas next time. The corn rolled great when warm but cracked as soon as they cooled. Thanks for such an easy, yummy recipe.

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all of us you really know what you’re speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Please also discuss with my web site =). We could have a hyperlink alternate agreement between us

This is one of my very favorites. I slow bake the taco chicken recipe all day so it’s fall apart tender and dip them in your guac recipe! To die for!

Jenelle says:

Made these last night, and found out while preparing them that I had run out of chili powder so I used Chipotle chili powder- it’s all I had, and they were heavenly! Everyone raved about them. Thanks for sharing!

Emily S says:

Have to comment because these saved my life tonight. My night became something from “Dinner Disasters.” (Is there such thing? Should be.) It involved massive amounts of dough, an absent husband, a screaming baby . . . then I remembered I had a bunch of these in the freezer. Popped them in the oven, made a quick salad and dipping sauce, and there you go, miracle dinner my kids LOVED. It was good enough to ignore the fact the smoke alarm woke up the baby and my kids subsequently sang, “Fire Burning” variations all through the meal. (Nothing was burning, my smoke alarm just doesn’t like it when I open the oven. Another story.) So, yes, thanks!

If anyone ever reads this comment looking for tips, when they come from the freezer they don’t turn out looking all lovely like pictured. I don’t care, but just in case you do. Also, this is obvious, but a while back I cooked some from the freezer and forgot to put the seam sides down. Tostadas!

Shannon says:

Hey! I made these last night and they were DELISH… but I couldn’t get them to stay closed. I tried using toothpicks but I ended up having to settle with them looking terrible. Any thoughts on how I can make them stay round without breaking??

Bill Shaw says:

When you use flour tortillas instead of corn, two things happen. First and most important, the caloric value of the food item jumps. So corn tortillas mean less calories. Second, when you use flour tortillas, it is no longer technically a taquito. It is something else completely.

Kate says:

I absolutely love Mexican food, but have never tried to make anything like this before. Definitely want to give this a try! :)

Amy says:

I found this recipe from ifIcould-ifIcould….they were so YUMMY!!! I loved them. Thanks for sharing. I’m definitely making them again—-and often. I’ve been looking around your blog and I’m a fan. I’ll definitely be trying more.

Erin Nichols says:

HI I just got done making this tonight and as a mistake I added 1 Tbsp Paprika thinking it was the chili powder. I noticed what I did and added the chili like normal and did everyting like normal. I cannot believe the awesome spice it gives the mixture and from now on I’m going to add Paprika everytime :D Love this dish and always will!

Karlie says:

My hubby does not like sour cream… do you think I could use some cream of chicken soup instead to make it more moist? I know, I have made these before and they are delish made just as instructed, I just thought I would try to be nice this time. ha ha.

Karen says:

Made these AGAIN tonight but used your cilantro lime vinagrette instead of the green salsa-SOOOO yummy.

Anna says:

Love it! Making them tonight! Also, just WHERE in the South do you live where they don’t have good Mexican? That sounds impossible!

Mardee says:

Quick question– are these freezer friendly the way the breakfast taquitos are? I want to make these and the black beans for a freezer food exchange. I loove looove looooove the breakfast taquitos–make them every conference sunday :)

Eprsy says:

I really want to make these today, but I don’t have any tortillas. I do have some wonton wrappers, do you think those would work? Would I still bake them or fry them instead?

Kristie O says:

We had these at my friend’s house last night. They were delicious and a hit with my 9 year old. So easy and delicious! I’m bookmarking this entry and making them for dinner, at our house, soon! Yum!

Laura says:

Hey Sara!
    I am pretty new to Our Best Bites but I can’t even begin to tell you how it has changed my outlook on cooking! For the past 6 years of my marriage I have cooked like once a week (If I am lucky), but now I can’t stop and I am cooking 4-5 times a week for a few months now. The only issue I have is I can’t get these to not burn. I burnt these, the beef once and the breakfast taquitos. Do you think my pan is too close to the burners in the oven, or maybe I am using the wrong kind of spray. What are some suggestions on better cooking these? Thanks so much!

Hi Laura! I’m so glad you’re enjoying our food! It sounds like your oven might be hotter than it says it is. Make sure your pan is in the middle rack of the oven as well and that should help.

emily says:

These are probably my very favorite things on your blog! Yum Yum Yum!!! I love them so much! I’ve made them twice and everybody loves them! Even my 3 yr old brother! =)

Kelly D says:

These were wildly popular at my family’s reunion yesterday! It’s a little feather in your cap when you take home an empty dish. :)

Emily Lessner says:

Made these again this weekend for company – also the veggie/black bean option from the cookbook – along with the cilantro lime dip…rave reviews! SO GOOD! Can’t wait for your new cookbook!

Tanya says:

When I press print recipe text only, it wants me to login. How do I do that? Thanks.

kristen says:

I make these all the time and everyone loves them! The are so easy to make and I love how crispy they get without having to fry them! I like to dip them in the leftover green salsa, so yummy!

Susie says:

Love these taquitos! I was wondering if you think the filling would work as well in soft tacos? Or do I have to cook the filling?

Nicole says:

These turned out better than I was expecting. I even omitted the cilantro (because when I glanced in my fridge before my grocery shopping trip, I mistook the parsley for it), but they were still really great. The whole family loved them. Dipped them in your homemade guac. Definitely going to be a repeat for us!

Sharmy says:

One of my favorite recipes ever.My family thanks you and my dinner club group! :)

[...] out, this recipe is all over Pinterest.  Here, here and here are a few of the places it or a version of it can be [...]

[...] Source:  Our Best Bites [Creamy Chicken Taquitos] [...]

[...] Source: Pink Parsley originally from Our Best Bites [...]

[...] our family!!Brisket and Rosemary New PotatoesWednesday:  These Tacquito’s look delish from Our Best BitesBaked Creamy Chicken TaquitosThursday:  This recipe was given to me by friend from South [...]

[...] Recipes, sponsors Some of our families favorite recipes come from Our Best Bites. Like their Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos. I make them when I want to impress without looking like I’m trying too hard. It works every [...]

Amy says:

Wow! Everyone in my family loved these. Made with flour tortillas and they were fantastic. Made the filling a few days before, made dinner time so easy. Definitely a keeper.

[...] Saturday night we had BBQ Chicken Taquitos. These are so good. I tried the original but wasn’t impressed but once I found the BBQ version over at Pink Parsley I was hooked. You [...]

jenny says:

i made these tonight for dinner, but substituted the green salsa with a sofrito tomato base sauce. and oh my god. these are legitimately some of the best things i have EVER tasted. i have never been so excited about making somthing for dinner before lol. my whole family loves them, my mom is already talking about making them for future family gatherings. absolutely incredible recipe, thank you so much for sharing! <33

Brooke says:

When I try the “print recipe” for this it says I don’t have permission? I don’t think I’ve encountered this elsewhere on your site. Anyway, maybe it’s my computer? We LOVE this recipe, it has become one of the most requested dinners at our house. I use the leftovers of a rotisserie chicken to make it super easy!

Phil says:

Thanks! I really like taquitos but avoiding deep fried food or pan fried food with too much oil. Really good, really like fried taquitos minus the bad feeling after eating them!!

Kara says:

Seriously so good! You girls have not let me down once! I also just used my kitchenaid to shred my chicken for the very first time and I feel like my world has changed : ) Thanks for helping us have a happy home with happy tummies.

Angie says:

What is grilled taco chicken that you mentioned in your recipe? Is it a seasoning packet?

Suzanne says:

When using the Costco unbaked tortillas, do you suggest cooking the tortilla before assembling them or assemble them raw and bake the tortilla?

Katie says:

just made these…delicious!!!! Thank you for the amazing recipe!!! :D

Jessie Crooks says:

Yum, Yum, Yum. Even my picky husband and son ate them up! You are my new fav blog! :)

dee says:

I love these. I really really do. I find myself craving them and wishing I still had some in the freezer. I think I need to put together a big batch every other week just to freeze. Oh – and you absolutely 100% HAVE TO make the taco chicken for these.

Vanessa says:

Made these tonight. I’ve made them before and loved them but this time I tried regular salsa and colby jack cheese because that’s what I had. They were still delicious! My 6 year old said they are now one of her favorite foods.

Beth says:

These are, without a doubt, wonderful. I used both corn and flour tortillas and prefer the flour. Loved the creamy cilantro dip but just used bottled ranch dressing and added all the other ingredients, except mayo and milk. Delicious!
    Can’t wait to try this out on company. I know they will be a huge hit!

Kristi says:

I got this recipe from the SixSister’s blog where they had adapted it to use flour tortillas. I’ve made this several times for my family and they love it! I used soft neuchatel cheese instead of the light cream cheese and went for regular jack cheese instead of the pepper jack (for my 5 yr old who isn’t into spicy). I also served with green and red salsa on the side and plain yogurt in place of sour cream for dipping. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!

Katie says:

I triple the recipe to freeze and keep for compassionate service meals. I learned the hard way not to triple the chili powder and to use Monterey cheese. I also double the cilantro dressing. Again, I learned the hard way not to double the garlic. It’s a great meal to freeze and give a new mom or someone baking instructions!

Tammy says:

I made these tonight for our Cooking Club. Yet again you guys were a hit! I have never been let down by a recipe I get from you! Thanks again :)

Beverly says:

Made these tonight and they were delicious!!! Thank you!!

Ethan says:

I had some fresh corn on the cob so I boiled up a couple of ears and stripped it and added it to the meat mixture. Very good

Mary Case says:

A variation of the baked taquitos: Use mashed avocado to replace the cheeses.

Whitney says:

I made these tonight using whole wheat flour tortillas (the 16 oz guerrero brand that comes with 11 tortillas in a pack). I had to omit the cilantro to save my marriage, and since I didn’t have shredded pepper jack, I substituted 1/2 cheddar and half monterey jack. I doubled the recipe and got 15 large taquitos. They were super yummy, and with a side of black bean/corn/onions/bell peppers skillet, 2 taquitos was plenty to fill up my husband. So glad I have enough for lunches now through out the week. Thanks for the recipe.

Leigh says:

We’ve loved this recipe for years now. Recently I’ve realized that my body doesn’t like carbs as much as I do. My kids requested this for dinner and I made it as a quesadilla instead (higher filling to tortilla ratio,equally less carbs for me) and it was great. The filling is also really good in a lettuce wrap. Maybe you’ve already tried these options or thought of this, but I thought I’d share that we LOVE this recipe and have found new ways to love it as well. Happy Cooking, we sure love this site!

Amy Forsyth says:

How many do you usually get from one recipe?

This truly amazing. I made it with a side of coleslaw, it was delicious. Thank you for sharing it.