This is a sweet fruit salsa to eat with those Cinnamon Chips. This is such a great family snack, a light dessert, or an awesome appetizer to take to a gathering. It would even be great on a brunch buffet. People are always surprised at the twist on chips and salsa and you can’t beat that it’s super easy to whip up. Just looking at this makes me excited for summer! Take this to your first pot-luck and be the coolest kid on the block.

So, when you were a kid did you ever read those “Choose Your Own Adventure” books? Like, “If you choose to enter the big scary building that says Do Not Enter then turn to page 47. If you choose to listen to your mother and go home for dinner turn to page 62…” and then you get alternate endings? Well this is a “Choose Your Own Recipe” post! I know, fun right? We like to keep things hopping around here.

I make this stuff a few different ways so as I was preparing to write this post I tried to get exact measurements and narrow in on the best way that I make it. But then I discovered that they’re all good and everyone likes it differently anyway so I’m going to give you all your options and just let ya go crazy. Cuz Kate and I are crazy girls.

1. Choose Your Fruit
I choose fruit based on it’s color. I love having something in just about every color of the rainbow! So here’s some options (have ideas I missed? Leave a comment!):

Kiwi, Mango, Strawberries, Pineapple and blackberries

Red: Strawberries are my standard because they hold up really well, they’re usually inexpensive, and everyone loves strawberries. But watermelon, raspberries or pomegranate seeds would be fun too.

Orange: Mango is my top choice because you all know how much I love mangoes! I usually put in a higher ratio of mangoes to other fruit, but that’s just me. Peaches, nectarines, or orange segments would work.

Yellow: Pineapple! Fresh is best, but in a pinch (uh..like my pictures here) open up a can. I guess nectarines and peaches can also be yellow.

Green: LOVE the bright color and great texture of Kiwi in fruit salsa. There’s always honeydew too.

Blue/Purple: I go with price on this one. Blueberries or blackberries, whichever is cheaper! See my note about blackberries below.

In this batch I photographed, I used a little of everything, but there are lots of fun combos you can do. Look how gorgeous the kiwi and blackberries look together:

I really love Kiwi, blackberry, and Mango together too. It looks gorgeous and the flavor combo is really great too.

My berries were giant so I cut them in half, which I think make them look super cool. If you are using any type of berries, you’ll want to stir them in at the last minute so they don’t dye the whole salsa.

2. Choose Your Sweetener

Honey: I love the flavor of honey with fruit. I usually add a little no matter what.

Powdered Sugar: It dissolves fast and gives a light sweetness.

Brown Sugar: Takes longer to dissolve but adds an interesting flavor. Much deeper flavor than white sugar.

Granulated Sugar: What I use the most. It tastes good and makes a nice syrup with the fruit juices. Remember my life lesson about adding sugar?

Agave Nectar: If you want to use an alternative sweetener, you could try Agave Nectar (very low on the glycemic index if that concerns you) or a natural herbal sweetener like Stevia.

3. Choose Your Extras
You don’t want to do all of these together- pick and choose!

Lime Juice: I always add lime juice. Just a few big squeezes. The fruit will give off a lot of juice so you don’t want to add too much additional liquid, but a few squeezes of tangy lime juice adds a great flavor and makes it nice and tropical tasting.

Cinnamon: A few dashes of cinnamon goes great with the cinnamon chips.

Mint: I love a little chopped fresh mint in my fruit salsa. It reminds me of cilantro in regular salsa and makes everything so fresh tasting. But beware, a little goes a long way and if you add too much it will really overpower the taste of your yummy fruit. My husband hates it when I put mint in- he thinks it ruins the salsa and tastes disgusting, so you may want to go sparingly on that one!

Coconut: shredded coconut is especially yummy when you have tropical fruits like pineapple and mango in your salsa. Sprinkle some on top or stir it in, but either way do it just before serving or it will get all soggy.

Toasted Coconut: If you’re taking this to a party, then add some toasted coconut on top for great presentation. People will go wild over it!

Ginger: I’m adding this from Kate’s suggestion in the comment section. Great thinking! A little fresh ginger would be great. A little will go a long way. P.S. ginger + coconut = yum.

4. Eat it!
You’ll want to chill the salsa first for maximum yumminess. Then serve with Baked Cinnamon Chips for dipping. Also fantastic over ice cream! Ooh, how about cinnamon chips AND ice cream. Now that’s a party.

Who’s ready for summer?!

Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" says:

I loved those books! I had forgotten all about them, until a couple years ago.

I’ve seen this recipe posted at allrecipes in their top list! =)
    Sounds so good!

Princess of Everything (and then some) says:

That makes such a pretty dip! It would be really good for a shower!

Carolyn says:

Beautiful pictures, first of all :). And it looks delicious! I want to make some and eat it while I tan in the nice weather. Yum!

Letti says:

This looks so good!

Ingrid says:

Looks really good! Thanks for the great tips!
    ~ingrid

Michelle says:

This looks absolutely divine! I added your button to my blog!

Kate says:

That looks awesome! I bet a little bit of fresh ginger would be super-yummy, too!

OREGON SOUTHWORTHS says:

Oh man, that looks SO GOOD!! The cinnamon chips from yesterday alone looked like such a yummy treat, but adding in that fruit salsa… Mmmmmm! :)
    I’m thinking my husband and I need to pray for nice weather this weekend (this IS Oregon) and have some people over!

Random, but I literally cannot wait until I am in charge of someone’s bridal or baby shower because I’m pretty sure that everything on the menu would come from your site!

-Jennifer

Nathaly says:

Yum!

And great job on the pictures. They’re gorgeous!

Morgan and Derek says:

Beautiful! MUST MAKE THIS SOON!

Kim @ Forever Wherever says:

Oh, that’s so pretty and yummy looking! Love it! Want it! Now!

~Kim

Tammy says:

First visit to your blog, and it is adorable! Great post on the fruit salsa and cinnamon chips. You make it look so easy and delicious. Can’t wait to see your next posts.

Bunny says:

This is making me so hungry for summer fruit, fantastic!!

It’s beautiful. beautiful.
    I just want to frame my computer screen and hang it on the wall. And I KNOW it tastes just as delightful!!

It’s exactly the perfect thing for an event I’m hosting next week!!!!
    Thanks.

ooh ginger. Good thinking Kate- I’m gonna go add that to the post!

Drew says:

OK, combine the chips with this post and the chips recipe becomes unlame

I’m glad I redeemed myself Drew, thanks for the approval :)

jodi says:

YUM!

Lacey says:

Ok girlies. I am so excited about this. I just made up a batch (I used agave nectar, and lime juice as my “additives”) with the chips for a luau potluck we’re having tomorrow. Yummmmmmm….

Kara says:

I’ve made this before but had forgotten all about it. It really is a fabulous snack/treat. Thanks for the reminder to make it again. And again.

MollyE says:

This looks great, do you think it would still taste good with corn tortillas?

Molly- honestly? No I don’t think it would taste as good with corn tortillas- but you could try it and see!

Sheena says:

This looks so good I think I would just get a spoon and dig in!

Kevin says:

I really like the sound of a fresh fruit and berry salsa. What amazingly vibrant colours!

Kara says:

I made this today with the chips, and they are both so good!! Thanks Sara.

Manda says:

I made this for my husband and his brothers (and me too of course) and it was awesome. They were so impressed, plus, it’s mostly healthy! I say mostly because I put waaaaay too much sugar in mine, so it tasted like candy, but hey, you can’t go wrong with that, right?
    Anyway, long story short, thanks, it was awesome.

Leah says:

Looks amazing!

Morgan and Derek says:

We made this yesterday for Cinco de Mayo, and it was FABULOUS. We ate it with the cinnamon chips and it was oh so yummy.

Steph says:

I made this yesterday and used strawberries, kiwi and tiny apple cubes (that I soaked in lime juice so they wouldn't get brown) Then I added brown sugar. It was great!

Deni says:

We made this last night with cinnamon chips made from your homemade flour tortilla recipe. It was a VERY popular sidedish along with your taquitos recipe and your salsa recipe. We also made Groundhog Day cupcakes (a little groundhog made out of a nutter butter cookie peeps out of the top)out of your 3 ingredient pumpkin chocolate chip muffin recipe. My 8 year old daughter made them herself!

I have been LIVING on your website since I found it last week. Great stuff!

jjnhubbs says:

Yum! I've made this several times since you posted it and it always gets rave reviews! Actually, I've turned at least 10 people onto your blog through this recipe!

So…I'm a cheapskate…I usually do strawberries, kiwi and apple. I just can't justify spending the money for all the extra fruit! Honestly, as long as the fruit is fresh and yummy it will taste fantastic!

4becs says:

I just made the Sweet Fruit Salsa and the Cinnamon Chips…..THEY ARE AWESOME!!! Thank you so much! It is so good! Healthy snack, and i'm also going to use it at my sisters baby shower in 2 wks!!!
    Someone posted a link to it on another site i'm on, i've already forwarded it on to my friends/family. Love your Site!!!

Cec and Dal says:

I really want to make this for our big group this weekend, but I am nervous because I don't know how much of what sweetener to add. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

Cec and Dal- don't be scared, I promise you really can't mess this up! If you're nervous, I'd just go for plain 'ol sugar. Just start by adding a couple of spoonfuls and taste as you go. It really just depends on how sweet you like it. Like I said, you can't mess up!

DJ and Candra Probert says:

We made this as a "side" for dinner on Sunday with the cinnamon chips. It was so yummy and all three of us inhaled it (including our 18 month-old). It was perfect with some lime juice and sugar.

Thanks for the awesome idea. I decided I'll make this the next time I have an excuse to make an appetizer for something.

ificould says:

I know you posted this forever ago, but I finally got around to blogging about it today! http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/2010/08/fruit-salsa.html

Thanks for the yummy recipe!

Nicole says:

Your recipes are so good! I made them tonight and loved them. Thank you! I added one passion fruit instead of the lime juice and really liked the result!

Heidi says:

I made this with the cinnamon chips for a party last week and it was a hit! Mine didn't look near as pretty–I made the mistake of adding a few frozen raspberries too early (not at the end like the recipe says) and it dyed the whole thing–yuck!

One thing I wish I'd done differently is chop the fruit pretty small. I left it larger and it was more like fruit salad than a dip for chips.

Kristin says:

I featured this on my blog today and wanted to give you a heads up. I have made this so many times and just love it, thanks again for the great recipe!!!

Abby says:

Would it still work if you used the already pre-cut and made up fruit bowls they sell at the grocery store as long as you cut the pieces even smaller ?

I made this for a party recently and served it with Sweet Potato Chips (gluten free)from the Food Should Taste Good company. Sooooo good. I actually used a food processor on pulse for the first bit and then cut small chunks for varied texture. I added fresh lime juice and honey and used strawberries, kiwi, and pineapple. I was nibbling on it while prepping and had to stop myself.

For more info on the awesome chips I mentioned, look here:

Karalynn says:

Sara, I saw you today on KTVB – you were great! And thank you for sharing this recipe. Now I know what I’m going to take to my primary teachers’ bbq this weekend.

Michele N says:

I’ve made a similar fruit salsa, but always with apples, kiwi & strawberries. And then usually a little orange juice concentrate or apple butter and talk about yummo! I will have to try it with some of the other fruits. I love it, a friend made it years ago for a party and my kids sat at her kitchen table after the rest of dinner was done and ate it straight from the bowl when they ran out of cinnamon chips until it was gone.

Reina says:

Made this today to go with lunch, now all I can think about it putting what’s left on cheesecake or angel food!

Kristin says:

This looks amazing. Going to a cookout tomorrow, so i’m gonna try it along with the cinnamon chips. Do you think it’ be alright to cut up the fruit the night before (store in separate containers) and just mix it together before we go? Thanks for the recipes!!

Melissa says:

Quick question… I want to make this for family coming into town this weekend and am wondering can you make the chips ahead of time? If so, how far ahead?

stacey says:

just what I was looking for, the blackberries really make this salsa look great. can’t wait to try it.

Idalee says:

Begun, the great internet eduicaton has.

Megan Rennert says:

I just made this for my husband and a friend and they are in love! Fairly cheap to make and soooooooooo tasty!

Thank you so much for this breakdown! Wow! I’ve been playing around with a strawberry/cherry version and this was really helpful. Looking forward to exploring the rest of your blog.

Thanks!

Allison
    @TheNewbieFoodie

Myrna Foster says:

How much fruit to you put in example
    Kiwi 1 cup or what