So Mother’s Day is coming up and I’m betting that there are a bunch of you (or your dearest, darlingest husbands) who are looking for a special treat to make for breakfast for all the moms in your lives. I can’t imagine waking up to the smell of anything better than apples and cinnamon baked with sweet pastry, plus who doesn’t want an excuse to eat pie-like creations for breakfast? If sweets for breakfast isn’t your thing, these are a fabulous finger pastry for a late brunch or even a perfectly portioned dessert after dinner.

Apple Streusel Bars
Our Best Bites

SWEET PASTRY:
2 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. real butter, softened (no substitutions!)
1 egg, beaten
APPLE FILLING:
1/2 c. white sugar
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 c. (about 3 medium) sliced, peeled baking apples (I’ve used Granny Smith in the past, although this time around I used Gala and they were fabulous)
GLAZE:
2 c. powdered sugar
About 3 Tbsp. milk (whole milk is best)
1 tsp. almond extract
To prepare crust, mix flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until you have pea-sized crumbles. Gently mix in beaten egg.
Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Gently pat about 2/3 of the crumb mixture onto the bottom of the dish. Preheat oven to 350 and set aside.

To prepare apple filling, combine flour, sugar, and cinnamon and toss with apples.

Spread apples out on prepared crust. Sprinkle reserved crust mixture over apples evenly and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.

When finished, allow to cool completely.

To prepare glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, almond extract, and enough milk to achieve desired consistency.

Place glaze in a Ziploc bag and cut off a very small portion of one of the corners (or just use a fork) to drizzle glaze over cooled pastry and allow to harden (you can place it in the freezer to hurry things along). Cut into bars and serve.

In an attempt to keep yourself from eating the whole pan, you, like me, will probably have to send half of them to a nice home…

So for all you moms out there, what do you want for Mother’s Day? All you hubbies, dads, and kids (grown-up kids…I’m pretty sure we don’t have any kid-kids reading our blog!), what are you doing for your moms?

Victoria says:

This is pretty much what I want for Mother’s Day:) I am not a chocolate person (I know…that is almost unfemale or something) but apple…now, we’re talking. This reminds me of a recipe my mom made called “Apple Pastry Squares.” Glaze, apples… only difference, is that it had a butter pie crust on top and on bottom. It was super hard to roll out a large rectangular pie crust… this looks awesome.

jack!e says:

Wow, that looks amazing! =) Thank you for all the wonderful recipes!

redkimo says:

Those look so nummy! Perfect for mother’s day, but I think I might just have to make them for myself sooner! Your recipies are so great. Thanks

Oh yum. This is right up my alley. So the crust is more of a pastry as opposed to cakey, right? These sound sooo yummy.

Kate says:

Yeah, Sara, the crust is like a slightly-crumbly pastry, not cakey at all.

Kara says:

Those look simply divine. Maybe if I hint really hard, I can get my hubbie to make them with his amazing scrambled eggs. Yum!

OREGON SOUTHWORTHS says:

Oh yum, these look fabulous! I love my hubby, but pastry may be a little beyond him. I think I’ll make this for later in the day and let him stick to making waffles, eggs and bacon for breakfast. ;)

- Jennifer

jodi says:

Looks delicious! Cute flower dish too!

Linda says:

I’ll just make these for myself and eat the whole thing! Sounds great!!

CaSaundraLeigh says:

Looks beyond delicious! Thanks for sharing =)

kim says:

I made these this morning and I had to call my mom to come get some so I wouldn't eat them all! My kids (1 & 3) loved them too! :) thanks for the recipe.

J.Danger says:

I am totally making these this weekend!

elesa says:

Oh, this looks delicious. I think this will be the next thing I try. Right after the BBQ chicken legs for dinner tonight. Seriously, I have never cooked so much. My husband thinks he is living the high life. I eventually just had to your site on my google bar because I come here so often. And I am having a great time. Thank you for making cooking fun for me!

Kate says:

Ah, bless you, Elesa! It’s comments like that that make my day! :) I’m so glad you’re having fun in the kitchen (and that your hubby is having fun eating!)

~Sister Boogie Woman says:

I made these today! Very yummy! Could be dangerous with some ice cream!

Thanks! The crust was such a great texture!

crazybug says:

Loved these! Apple desserts usually are not my favorite, but I had to try these because the picture looked too good to pass up! AMAZING!

kat7259 says:

I made these yesterday and there were only about 2 left after only 15 mins. I could only hold them off for 20 mins to let them cool so they were still a little warm but soo good. GREAT RECIPE and easy.

Brianne says:

I have a huge bag of apples I'm totally making some!! My mother in law made these and of course I ate like 5 bars. Whoa SOOOOO yummy!! I think theses are going to be my new tradition to make every fall!!
    THanks so much for the yummy recipes!! I love desserts!

Amanda Smith says:

This is by far the best thing I've ever baked. I saw this recipe and couldn't wait to try it. I took a whole pan to my daughter's school last night for teacher conferences and this morning when I dropped her off they were all raving about them. Thank you for sharing.

Mindika says:

Hey, I tried these today and they were delicious! Thanks. I posted them on my blog with a link to your for the recipe. I hope you don't mind. Thanks again for the inspiration.

mindikamoments.blogspot.com

R and R says:

LOVED these – they were the perfect fall treat. THANKS!

Drew says:

Emily just made these for a baby shower the other day and they were amazing. I don't usually like apple deserts but this was awesome, the almond glaze made the desert for me. I convinced Emily that she would not want to just bring the pan to the shower as it would be much better to cut them and plate them. About half made it to the plate, and I made it to my bed with a stomach ache, but it was worth it…

Heidi says:

Just made these tonight for a family dinner and everyone loved them! My dad requested them for Father's Day. I know I never have to worry about a new recipe failing if I get it from here, you guys are the best!

Mateo says:

I have a bunch of company coming in May. Would these turn out if I made them early and froze them? Would I just cook them part-way before freezing? thanks – I LOVE your site!

Nancy says:

This past weekend, I went to an apple orchard and thought this recipe would be great to make. These turned out delicious!

P.S I love your blog!

Sadia Virk says:

So far everything I have tried from your blog has been great!! I really liked this recipe, was delicious!! I made it in a slightly smaller dish so the bars were thicker and added some extra cinnamon. Yum!

Aileen says:

I made these last night for my sisters and I–OMG they were amazing! I made them gluten free/dairy free using Domata Living Flour all-purpose flour blend in place of the regular flour, Earth Balance non-dairy butter substitute, and coconut milk. They were very good and I will DEFINITELY be making them again!

Tina and Jason says:

When you say "flour" you mean all-purpose, right? If I use self rising, do I omit the baking powder and salt? Why must I always overthink things? lol

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Tina and Jason–Yeah, just regular, all-purspose flour. You COULD use self-rising flour and leave out the salt and baking powder, but I would just get the all-purpose flour. Hope that helps! :)

April says:

Ok these are FABULOUS! Easy to make hard to resist! Love them.

Tina and Jason says:

Thanks Kate! Makes sense. Now I can make them w/o getting sweaty hands. LOL

Becky says:

Thanks so much for the yummy recipes! I was too lazy to cut up apples, so I used a can of cherry pie filling instead, with a little bit of cinnamon and it was delish!!

Nikki says:

can these be prepared the night before and then just cooked in the morning? I'm not a big fan of taking all morning to make breakfast but we are getting sick of the same old stuff….

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Nikki–I would probably just bake them the night before. I'm afraid that if you didn't bake the apples right away, they'd turn brown (and also that the moisture from the apples would mushify the crust). Hope that helps! :)

M.W. says:

So, I've made these a couple of times in the last little while and they were a total hit. Soooo yummy! I definitely had to feed them to other people, though, or I for sure would have eaten the whole pan.

I made them again last weekend and realized after I'd made the dough that I didn't have a single apple in the house. (What?) Instead of the apples, I used 3 cups of frozen raspberries and 1 cup of frozen cranberries (tossed in a little sugar/flour, but skipped the cinnamon). Then, I thought to myself, what goes great with raspberries? Why, chocolate! So I used some melted chocolate on top instead of the glaze and they were AWESOME. Just the right mixture of sour and sweet. I don't know if I like them better than the original, because they're so different, but man, sooooo good! I was the hit of the office this week!

Annie says:

These are on my brunch menu for this weekend – and I’m trying to pick out things I can make ahead – is this one of them? (do these keep well for a day?)

Wonder how well this recipe would work with the dried apples from the LDS Cannery? I might have to give that a try. :)

sue says:

For this recipe could I substitute vanilla extract in the glaze, I have several people with nut allergies and can’t use the almond? Also, since I have several rheumatoid arthritis, could I use the presliced apples that the stores sell and have my daughter remove the skin from these? I have a very difficult time cutting up apples so any other suggestions are welcome. THe recipe looks amazing. I can’t wait to try it.

Lori says:

Just made these and got through sampling a piece (or two) and they are AMAZING! I think the best apple recipe I’ve ever made :) Husband enjoyed them as well. Thank you!! I did add about a cup of extra apples but other than that followed your recipe exactly.

Angela says:

Made these today and my family loved them!!! We are Canadians living in South America and while we love where we live, we miss the change of seasons – This was a perfect taste of Fall for us! Thank you!

Sheena says:

So yummy!! Made these tonight.. although my hubby doesn’t like anything with cooked apples..I sure did love them!!! As well as our dinner guests!!

Laura says:

Served these up for company the other night and everyone raved about them! So easy too!!

wendy says:

AMAZING! Truly! Made these for my husband to take to work and his coworker said: “No wonder you married your wife- these rocked my world!” Thank you for sharing!

whitney says:

These are my go-to recipe for basically everything now and everybody goes crazy for them.

I made these and they were amazing! Thank you so much for the recipe! I made a few changes — I used a combo of apples and pears, diced and sauteed in butter, 1/3 c brown sugar and 2 tbl maple syrup and cinnamon. I added the flour and let it cook off for about 5 minutes. After cooling, I prepared the recipe as printed (but I did add a little more cinnamon to the top streusel). I brought them to work and they were devoured!

Lyle B. says:

Was flipping through your cookbook this weekend since I felt like baking, and couldn’t look at anything else once I looked at this recipe, and just had to make them again… perfect choice, they’re amazing every time! Thanks for the recipe!

Kathleen Mangum says:

This is the best apple dessert ever! It’s my husbands favorite and my whole family loves it. I do only use half the glaze – gotta cut calories where I can. Ha. Divine!

Julie says:

I made these but used gluten free flour. They were delicious and my friends who require gf food were thrilled! Thank you for sharing!

LizBiggerdiamond says:

Just made these. Wow. Amazing. Delicious.
    Thank you for ALWAYS posting the best recipes. I have never made a recipe from this site that I did not love!

Heidi says:

I know you say no substitutions for butter, but I can’t have dairy right now. Is there a reason that shortening wouldn’t work?

barb quinn says:

These were wonderful, and so easy to make. I have always made apple pie for my family, but the crust and the frosting took it over the top. Thank you for the recipe.

[...] Jone, Kate and Sara Wells.  “Apple Streusel Bars“.  Our Best Bites. 3 May 2009. cake dessert seasonal [...]

CC says:

This recipe is one of my husband’s favorites. I make it when he requests apple pie and I don’t feel waiting for dough to chill. I also blend the leftovers into vanilla ice cream for an amazing treat.