Cinnamon Rolls are a favorite in our house. We seem to always get the cravings on Sunday afternoons, so after church when we’re all home being lazy, I’ll often whip up a batch. There have been lots of times where I would have loved to make them for breakfast, but who wants to get up at the crack of dawn so they’ll actually be ready in time for breakfast?? Even if you don’t mind, by the time they’re ready to eat, you’ve got a kitchen full of dirty dishes. I’ve tried putting my everyday cinnamon roll recipe in the fridge over night and I haven’t had any luck. Actually, I’ve tried a few different recipes and none of them really turn out all that well. So when I saw a recipe for overnight cinnamon rolls in my new favorite cookbook, it instantly caught my attention. I tweaked the dough just a little and then used my own filling recipe. The cinnamon rolls were were just as I imagined they would be: soft, fluffy, full of flavor, and mouthwateringly delicious. The dough takes a bit longer than my other recipes, but it works out perfectly since you can whip them up up after dinner and pop them in the fridge before bed. In the morning, they just need to sit out for about an hour (so you can either sleep in some more or take a shower and get dressed!) and then pop them in the oven.

Don’t have time for overnight cinnamon rolls? Try my “every day” quicker version instead!

Bunny says:

I haven’t had breakfast yet, you’re killing me!!These look fantastic!

Lori says:

These look wonderful! I never have good results with cinnamon rolls. Maybe I need to try the overnight kind like this. I’m so hungry for one now! :)

Maria says:

They look good! What a great morning treat!

Kate says:

I love overnight cinnamon rolls! I’ve been using The Pioneer Woman’s and it’s amazing, but the recipe makes a million, so I’ll have to try this on to see how they compare… :)

Try almond extract in the glaze. Holy foodgasm…

Angela says:

Thanks for this. I love cinnnamon rolls, but like you hate the wait. I am excited to try these for breakfast this Sunday morning. Thank You- Angela

OREGON SOUTHWORTHS says:

YUM! Holy moly these look amazing and sound heavenly. I have never made cinnamon rolls from scratch and now I’m anxious to try these this weekend!
    Maybe if I make them up Saturday night I can convince my husband to bake them up Sunday morning for my birthday! Hmmm…. :) Can’t wait to try them.
    - Jennifer

Kristin says:

Thank you so much for posting this recipe!! I’m going to make them tonight. I love recipes with common ingredients that are already in the kitchen and fridge.

Alli Blue says:

My husband is going to beg for these!

Jigginjessica says:

Yum! I love finding a new cinnamon roll recipe!

The Cookie Girl says:

These are for breakfast in the morning! Thanks for the recipe.

Memória says:

I love what you wrote about waiting 47 seconds for the rolls to cool and soothing your wounds with more rolls. haha hilarious!

These rolls look perfect. I’m definitely going to bookmark this one!

Drew says:

I have to say that WS cookbook looks pretty good but I think this one looks way better.

D.I.M. Incorporated says:

Mmmmmmmm….I can almost smell them! Can’t wait to try this recipe!

pigpigscorner says:

They look so good! I can prepare everything the night before and have fresh rolls in the morning!

The Food Librarian says:

These look fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing. The smell must have been heaven in the morning!

The Wifey says:

Would you believe I don’t like cinnamon rolls? Yeah I’m weird. But my mom did make these last night so I’m sure all my siblings loved them this morning.

Yes Carly, you ARE weird! What’s the other super yummy thing that you don’t like?? I know there’s something but I can’t remember…

Patricia Scarpin says:

Sara, these are wonderful! I love how perfectly cut they are (great tip on using floss).

Yum!

Nurse Heidi says:

Awesome! I too have tried my standard bread dough recipes in an overnight form, and wound up with giant poofy air bubble filled rolls…so I will definitely give this one a try. It’s perfect for those 9:00 a.m. church schedule Sundays.

Rachel says:

These look yummy. My grandma makes fantastic cinnamon rolls and uses a penuche frosting (couldn’t really call it a glaze) made with brown sugar. They are rich, but soooo good.

Eileen says:

How great it would be to wake up to these!

Mishaela says:

These are fabulous! I have searched endlessly for a cinnamon bun recipe that works for me, and that I enjoy, and so far I’ve tried 6. This one was by far the best! I added a little extra filling and made it into a paste with softened butter, and whipped cream. SO Gooey and delicious! THANKS!

Mama Bear says:

Nom nom nom – thank you for this recipe! LOVE the tip about the dental floss!

Laura says:

Those look awesome!

MommytoTommy says:

Yum!! I am so going to make these soon!! That tip about the floss is great!

Kitty says:

Dental Floss! Who knew!!!

Rainbow Factory says:

Oh my god, this looks too amazing.. Drooling..

Kevin says:

Those cinnamon buns look so good! They would be great for breakfast tomorrow.

chocolatecup says:

lovely breakfast,lunch dinner food!hehe:)

Sarah says:

I just made these this morning and they were delightful. Instead of using the glaze thought I just took a tub of cream cheese frosting and spread that over the top.

Barbara Bakes says:

I had fun exploring your blog today. These especially caught my eye. So nice to do all the work at night and enjoy hot rolls in the morning!

Plain Jame says:

Have you ever tried a cup of mashed potatoes in your cinnamon roll recipe? IN_FREAKIN_CREDIBLE!!!!!
    Glad to see your site is doing so awesome! I put your button on my blog last year when you had me at hello with the cookies in ramekins with ice cream… still a fave.
    *mwah!*

Joy says:

Could these be frozen? If so, when in the process should I freeze them?

Joy, I've never frozen them so I don't know how they would hold up but you could give it a shot! If you do, I would freeze them as soon as you fill them and make them into rolls. So instead of putting them into the fridge, stick them in the freezer. You might want to try flash freezing them individually. If you try it will you let us know how it goes? I'm still looking for a cinnamon roll recipe that freezes really well. Maybe this is it and I didn't know it!

Diana says:

So sad, I made these for the first time yesterday and woke up very excited to bake them only to find them sitting in a puddle of water. What a terrible night for the ice mysteriously accumulating in the fridge to melt combined with a strange finger hole that got poked into the plastic wrap. Hopefully I get to try again soon! They look amazing.

Mark says:

You can avoid the freezer issue by taking the copper ground wire from a 6 inch piece of electrical wire and making a small hook, hang it on the defrost coil in the back of the freezer and stick the other end down the defrost hole. The warm wire will keep the defrost hole open and draining. Found this on line luckily before I was going to go out and buy a new fridge. Has been working flawlessly for me.

Diana- Ack!! What a horrible thing to happen to beautiful cinnamon rolls. I won't judge you if you cried. lol. So sorry to hear about that- hope you make them again some time and they make it safely to the oven!

Joy says:

I did freeze them & they turned out great! Of course, I only froze them for 4 days. I knew I didn't need the whole recipe so, after cutting, I put half in a pan in the fridge & the other half in a pan & freezer bag in the freezer. I put the frozen ones in the fridge mid-afternoon the day before I wanted to cook them & they turned out as well as the ones I'd cooked right away.

Jill says:

I made these this morning and they tasted great! My problem was how they looked. They seemed really dry but I think I didn't knead the dough long enough. Do you think that would happen if I under mixed it? It was like the dough looked kind of cracked when I took them out of the fridge. Yours look perfect! :)

Nonetheless, the fam loved them and I will definitely try them again.

iluvmyairman says:

How would you do the dough if you don't have a stand mixer with a hook? I only have two hands…
    Thanks!

Mary Kelly says:

These turned out a hot mess :( I followed the directions perfectly but for some reason my dough ended up a brick and did not rise at all. I'm sure it was my mistake but I am so disappointed because cinnamon rolls would have been so perfect for the morning (conference and all). I'll try a different recipe for tonight and maybe try these again another time.

Jill- Try brushing a little melted butter over the top of the dough and make sure it's covered really securely. That should prevent it from drying out.

ilovemyairman- enlist a helper and count it as a work out! lol I trade off with my husband when I need to knead for a long time without a mixer.

marykelly- bummer! sounds like a yeast problem to me. Was your yeast fresh? Hope you have better success next time!

Una says:

The brown sugar, butter & cinnamon mixture never got fluffy and was difficult to spread on to the dough. Is this normal? Any suggestions?

Una- the mixture is thick so it won't get super fluffy. It's heavy on sugar in order to make a nice thick filling. It helps to use a spoon or your fingers to spread it out, and most importantly, make sure your butter is soft.

Una says:

Thanks Sarah! That helps a lot. They are baked, frosted and ready to be eaten. They look and smell amazing.

Stephanie says:

So DELICIOUS!!! Hubby, 5 yr old & 3 1/2 yr old all went back for seconds. We've decided these should be part of Christmas morning, because nothing is sweeter when you've opened all your presents than this fantastic taste waiting to make your tummy just as happy. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

Sugar Jane says:

I love all your fun comments on your creations. Totally makes me laugh.

Cam says:

Your recipe is now a family favorite. I make these all the time and people LOVE THEM. I usually double the amount of glaze and add a little extra cinnamond to the filling for an extra decadant treat. Thank you for this recipe!

Julie says:

Sarah, I want to have these on Christmas morning with our breakfast. Could I make them sooner than Christmas Eve, say Christmas Eve morning? I have enough to do on Christmas Eve without making rolls so if I could do them earlier in the day that would be great. Thanks for the delicious recipes…my family loves them!

Julie, I think it would be just fine to make them earlier. The fridge allows for a really slow rise so you should be fine. If anything, you might be able to get away with a shorter rise in the morning because of it (which is a bonus!) Good luck!

Shanna says:

These look fantastic. Have you ever tried them with using whole wheat flour or at least half whole wheat?

Shanna- nope, I've never tried incorporating whole wheat flour. I'm all for adding healthy grains into rolls and bread, but I am firmly against it when it comes to something like cinnamon rolls! lol.

Kirsten says:

I made these for Christmas morning breakfast and they were FANTASTIC! We went out of town christmas afternoon and I gave the remaining cin. rolls to my neighbor so they wouldn't go to waste. We weren't on the road more than 10 minutes before she called to rave about them. Melt in you mouth.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Becky says:

These look so good! I am trying them out tonight! I was wondering though if there is supposed to be any milk in the dough? I noticed that there is milk in the ingredient picture but maybe that is only for the frosting?
    Thanks!

vertigoxcured says:

holy cow i love your bowls in this post! where did you get them?!

Are you talking about the teal ones? Aren't those cute? They're nesting bowls and I love them because they have measurements marked on the insides. I think they came in a set of 6. You know why I bought them? They matched our blog header! I was super excited to see the color, lol. I actually found them at Ross or Marshalls and it was only like 4 bucks for the set. I just looked and there's no brand name on them so I'm sorry I can't get you any more info!

Shelby says:

wow!! that's all i can say. i'm SO not a baker, but even i can make these. they turned out perfect and SO yummy. i've been wanting to try out this recipe forever. thanks for posting it. it's definitely being added to my favorites.

Lydja says:

When you are kneading it for10-12 mins, (I use a Bosch) is the dough really stiff/firm? And that's what you let sit for two hours?

Lisa says:

I've had this recipe in the back of my mind to try for a while now and finally got my chance last night. I thought they were spectacular and delicious! My husband, however, thought the dough was a little on the bland side. (I think all those Pillsbury rolls have warped his senses.) Is there anything you'd recommend I try to sweeten up the dough a little more without completely botching the entire recipe to appease him?

Lisa- if your husband prefers rolls from a can over something homemade like this there's not much I can do! ha. Cinnamon Roll dough is often less sweet because you're slathering both the inside and the top with sugar! If you want to sweeten it up a bit you could try increasing the sugar to 3/4 C in the dough.

Lisa says:

Sara, thanks so much for the quick reply! We tried again last night (hubby had to take them to work for a bfast potluck) and increased the sugar to just shy of 1/2 cup (seriously, I just felt SO wrong about 3/4 cup..gag!) and then doubled the filling and the glaze. He's on a sugar high now but insists that they are the BEST ROLLS EVER! Thank you thank you!!

haha, good Lisa! I'm glad that did the trick!

Grandma Babe says:

I made these Cinnamon rolls and they are great. I will make them again, and again. I added raisins to my second batch and both with and with out the raisins was great.

Am I reading this recipe right? Only 1/2 cup of water? Surely that can't be right.

Yup, correct Jen. It also has 4 large eggs and a stick of butter, so that makes up for the low water content.

Ok, thanks for responding Sara! I was in disbelief last night as I was trying to make these for Father's Day, and I ended up just using 1 cup of water and 3 eggs because I was in egg-rationing mode. You know how it is when you get to Sunday and don't want to run out of eggs and milk ;)

Christina says:

These are truly THE BEST cinnamon rolls I have EVER had (and I've had a lot in my short 24 years)!!!
    I've never been much into making bread, pizza dough, cinnamon rolls, etc because I always get afraid of adding too much flour or not enough, etc. But I decided to try my luck on these guys and they were FABULOUS! And my hubby (who said he had never "had a homemade cinnamon roll that was sweet enough")LOVED these!!!:) So, ya, that made me super happy and what also made me happy was how EASY these were to assemble and make!! The dough was SO SO easy to roll out and work with and even though I had to use my hands to knead it (I don't have a mixer), I was surprised and delighted at how pliable it was. :)
    I passed this recipe onto my mom and a friend and they were both really excited to try it. My friend has made them and said that I was right~they are the best cinnamon rolls ever! :) My mom hasn't made them yet, but I know she is going to~especially after all my 'raving.' :) Thanks for such a delicious and easy recipe! You guys are great!! :)

The Foster Clan says:

can I bake these the same day?? Do I have to stick them in the fridge??

Foster Clan- Sure you could bake them the same day. The fridge slows the rising process so I'm sure you could leave them out until they rise enough to bake. Although if you're looking for something quicker- I suggest trying this recipe: http://www.ourbestbites.com/2010/06/everyday-cinnamon-rolls.html

mustlovecows says:

Excellent recipe ladies! I have NEVER had a better cinnamon roll. They were fluffy, not too sweet, and they came out just as I'd hoped. I made them for a get together and everyone loved them (not a piece was left on their plate!) Thanks again for sharing this amazing recipe.

WeesaSuzi says:

I've just made this recipe for the second time and I can assure you…these are some seriously yummy cinnamon rolls. My family likes a cream cheese frosting instead of the traditional glaze, and I would compare these cinnamon rolls to anything you can buy in the mall. Better than Cinnabon any day.

sheri says:

These look delicious! Can you make them with instant yeast instead?

Kit says:

I don’t have a mixer with a dough hook.Can you use a bread machine to do the mixing and kneading for you?

Oh my gosh, these puffed up SO MUCH the next morning, they were amazing! Thank you so much!

Patti says:

A co-worker gave me a recipe over 25 years ago for overnight cinnamon rolls, and I have lost it. They were wonderful and easy to pop in the fridge and bake the next morning. So I searched and found this recipe, which sounds pretty close to the one I had. Anxious to try these!! Thanks for sharing your recipe!!

Stefani says:

I made these yesterday and had them for breakfast this morning. They looked wonderful before and after they were cooked. However, they tasted like yeast! It was very strong. Did I do something wrong?

Aubri says:

These were amazing. Soooo good! The dough was beautiful and easy to work with. I used instant yeast and skipped the 2 hour raising. It worked great. I cut them into 8, and they were huge and delicious. I used some leftover homemade cream cheese frosting instead of the glaze….mmmmm. Thanks for the wonderful (and dangerous!!) recipe!

Bryanna says:

How would these turn out if you did not put them in the fridge overnight but cooked them right away. Would they taste the same? same consistency? Do I let them rise 3 hours or 2? I made them the overnight way and they were awesome!!

Thanks for great recipes!!

Natalie says:

I love, love, love your everyday cinnamon rolls! FAB-u-lous! :) But, I am wanting to make these for a big family brunch so I can do them the night before. I need to make lots. Have you had success making a bigger batch before? I’d need to like 5x it. Any tips?! Thanks :)

MT says:

This is the best cinnamon roll recipe! The dough was super easy to work with. I love the convenience of doing the hard stuff at night and just baking in the morning. We will definitely have these on Christmas morning! The only thing I will change is to use a thicker icing and more of it. Thank you! We love your recipes!! :)

tdish says:

Ok – I tried these. The dough looked amazing! So soft & raised so well – but then I rolled it out. I think I rolled it too much/pressed too hard or something. They didn’t really raise the second time (after taking them out of fridge). When I baked them the tops of all of them and the outsides were all really hard and dry. I thought the middles still tasted amazing but still on the dry side. I really don’t have the knack for cooking/baking…Any pointers? Yours look so light and fluffly. I love love love your blog.

I’m not sure, it’s hard to give dough pointers when I can’t see it. But I would say to make sure it’s covered well in the fridge so it doesn’t dry out, and make sure not to add any extra flour so the dough stays tender. And then just practice!

Kristin says:

I just finished making these, they are currently in the fridge and will be baked for our Sunday breakfast tomorrow (woot for afternoon church!)I just wanted to say thanks for this awesome recipe! I made the dough in my bread machine and it came our perfect, not sticky in the least. I also loved using a softened butter spread, which I have NEVER thought to do before, you girls are genius! I have tried recipes from other food blogs and the filling they all used was out. of. control. Every time I would go to roll up the dough, the melted butter/sugar/cinnamon concoction would be oozing out all over my counter and dripping off on to the floor. Clean-up was awesome to say the least…anyway I am happy to say that I had my batch rolled out, filled, cut, in the pans, into the fridge, and everything cleaned up in about a half an hour, because of your easy to work with dough, and your awesome idea to use softened and not melted butter made it a breeze! Thanks again!

Elisa says:

Just curious….why wait 30 min for the yeast/water/flour mixture?

Because that’s what the recipe says? lol I’m not sure of the technical side of it all, I just did what it says in the book :)

Lindi says:

I just wanted to thank you for sharing this amazing recipe. I craved cinnamon rolls when I was pregnant and I searched everywhere for some soft, homemade ones like grandma used to make and couldn’t find any….so I decided to make them myself! They totally satisfied my craving and for that I am eternally grateful! I am no longer pregnant, but still crave these rolls all the time (as does the rest of my family who was lucky enough to try them).

I think someone asked you what would happen if you baked these right away? Well, since I love these so much, I usually cut two big rolls from the batch to bake right away for me and my hubby. We just can’t wait until morning sometimes! I brush them with butter like the rest of the batch, but then instead of putting the two jumbo rolls in the fridge, I just let them rise for about half an hour while the oven is heating up and while I make cream cheese frosting and then bake them as usual and they turn out perfect!

Looking forward to making these for Christmas morning and to finally sharing some with my family.

jen says:

I made your overnight cinnamon rolls and they were by far the best I have ever tasted. Wowsers! My husband (who thinks cinnamon rolls are a “girl dessert” even gobbled them up!) Anyway, I’ve been volunteered to make them for a church Christmas breakfast… problem is I will be out of town. I was wondering if they could stay in the fridge for more than just overnight… like maybe 2 or 3 nights???

Thanks!

Courtney Miller says:

Just so you know, these have become our standard holiday breakfast. Thanks so much for the recipe!

katherine g says:

Mine are in the oven right now! I can’t handle it, I want them noooow!

angela d. says:

Wanted to let you know we just ate these for Christmas morning! They were wonderful. Thanks for the great recipe. I love that they were made ahead and just needed to rise and bake this morning. Couldn’t have been easier.

Jen Z says:

These turned out so good! I don’t have an electric stand mixer so I kneaded the dough by hand and it worked out just fine. I also only made 7 medium rolls and froze the rest to make sometime later this week. Will definitely be using this recipe again! Thanks!

Heather T. says:

These are very easy and good, I did use some whole wheat flour about 2 cups as I try to use half and half, they turned out very good, I think I would double the glaze recipe next time, we love sugar.

Cecilia Haedo says:

I have a question, instead of putting them in the fridge, could I put it in the freezer? I’m thinking of doing the whole recipe and then putting half in the freezer and when I need it, putting it in the fridge the night before to drefost it

Cecilia Haedo says:

ok…. I reply to myself, haha, after reading another post! I would definetly make the whole recipe and freeze half. (The only problem is that if I know that they are in the freezer, ready to be baked they will only last a day or two!!!)

Stephanie says:

I just made these yesterday, and let me tell you, they were a dream!!!!! I love how you just let them sit for an hour before popping them in the oven the next morning. The texture was light, airy and moist. Ended up not needing all the flour it called for. Ive learned the hard way to never just add in all the flour recipes say to use. These were hand kneeded to since I have no mixer. Delicious recipe! My hubby, who isn’t even a real cinnamon roll fan said they were great.

Hema says:

Hi Sara,

I’d really appreciate if you could give a substitute for eggs in the recipe i.e. to make eggless cinnamon rolls.

Thanks,
    Hema

stephanie says:

I was searching for an overnight cinnamon bun recipe and it was a decision between yours and Pioneer woman’s. I’m so glad I picked this one because yours were so much less effort in the morning!! honestly I don’t think I could have been bothered to roll out dough 6am in the morning.

I baked some left over ends that weren’t pretty enough to be on a pan right away and they were fluffy and moist,just like you described! suprisingly with a crunchy exterior, I’m not sure if that is suppose to be the way it is or because I knead the dough by hand ( my cheap temporary hand held mixer would have burst into flames if I had used it for 10 minutes )

I hope the rolls will be just as good or even better tomorrow once they have been left to rise for an hour.

Bethany says:

OMG! THESE ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!! :D Made them for this morning to try the recipe out and to have breakfast made before my oldest goes to school and WOW! This is a recipe is for keeps!

I put your badge on my blog and I will be back for more recipes to try out, cause if one’s good, so are the others! :) Thank you for such an awesome, and easy recipe………not to mention, once again, YUMMMY!

I used maple nut extract in place of vanilla in my frosting and the maple nut complements the cinnamon and sweetness, like kate said in her comment: “holy foodgasm!” LOL! :p

So after reading close to 100 comments I am convenced this are the vest cinnamon rolls ever and I haven’t even made them yet :)… so my question is when you say “The next morning, remove from refrigerator and let rise until half again as high, about 1 hour.. Do you take off the plastic wrap or leave it on?.. I am still new to baking with yeast and tried your breadsticks yesterday… next time I will need to hide them till dinner is done… I was afraid there wasn’t going to be any left to eat with dinner… they were amazing!!

Honestly, it doesn’t really matter :) If I’m using a shallow pan I take it off so it doesn’t get in the way of the rolls rising, and if it’s a deeper pan, I leave it covered. Either way!

• Jennifer says:

So I made them last night to have before we went to the zoo this morning…well this morning I pulled them out and they were almost half frozen.. (note to self.. check fridge temp!!).. so I cut my oven on to preheat for a couple minutes then turned it off and placed the rolls in there and in an hour they rose perfectly!!.. I made 1.5 batches since I was making them for some friends too..I cut them small and got over 20!!.. even with cutting them small they rose and baked up huge!!!… we loved them!!!.. this is defentley a keeper recipe!!.. going to try your french bread recipe today to go with some left over Gumbo I pulled out of the freezer

Missy says:

I realize this is an old post, and I realize that you’ve already gotten a lot of comments about how these good are, but I can’t help myself. I had to comment and let you know that we really enjoyed these! Every time I’ve made cinnamon rolls before, they were always so dense and chewy – the secret is in the LACK of flour! I totally resisted the urge to add more flour and let the extended kneading time do it’s thing – this was the most soft and easy to work with dough which resulted in the lightest, tender cinnamon roll! Yum! And it was not a lot of effort at all, just some time. Thanks so much for sharing – I love so many of your recipes!

Leopard Girl says:

These were great! I made them pretty much as written except that I let them rise overnight when it said to let them rise for two hours, (before rolling them) and then let them rise for two hours when they were supposed to rise overnight. In the filling I used a little less brown sugar and added a little salt and vanilla to give it a more complex flavor, it also decreased the sweetness to a really nice level. Making me feel less guilty about eating one for lunch!

Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Leslie says:

This is a beautiful dough recipe. Soft, supple, just as it should be. Excellent tutorial. Thank you for sharing. After cutting mine, I froze them, and we rise/bake them two at a time, so always fresh and warm. Thanks again. Will be watching your blog more, now that I have stumbled across it. Best wishes.

Jessica Schroeder says:

Thank you for this post (though it was quite a while ago). I just found it today and am making these tonight for my husband and little one. Overnight cin. rolls are genius! Who has time to get up so early to make them?
    This is perfect. Will add freshly diced apples into the filling for added nutrition. Yum!

I cannot find the darn “Print This” button anywhere! Am I just slow and missing it? Please help, I would love to make this tonight for our Valentine’s breakfast tomorrow! Thanks in advance.

Nicole says:

I made these the other day after reading all of the great reviews. I was happy to see they were similar to your quicker version, I have made those a few times and LOVE them. The dough looked great yet a little dry compared to the other version, but after I baked them I thought they seemed to be pretty dry an not gooey… Like the others. I am going to try again and cut back on the flour. Do you think they can be made with milk and one less egg? Also, if i doubled the filling do you think that would mess them up? Despite thinking they were a little dry I have still managed to eat them! Thank you!! I wish your quicker version could be put in the fridge…. I love them, but have to wake up so early to feed my hungry husband and kids!

I would try to cut back on the flour a bit and not bake them quite as long. You’ll have to play around with the rest of your variations, I can’t promise how any of that would turn out. Enjoy!

Karen says:

Have you ever made these as a sticky bun?

Molly says:

Hi! I was just wondering, has anyone tried to make these more than 24 hours before baking them? I have relatives coming in from out of town and I’d love to prepare the dough ahead of time, 2 days before I’m going to serve them.

Christine says:

These just replaced my old overnight CR recipe. And I wasn’t 100 percent when I made these and they still came out amazing.

[…] inspiration for this recipe came from Money Saving Mom, Our Best Bites and Joyful […]

Tricia says:

So, you mentioned a few cinnamon rol recipes here. Overnight, quick, etc… What’s your favorite? I have time for all options, so which is best (in your opinion). Thanks!

Melissa says:

These are my Christmas morning rolls for the second year in a row. Your recipe is very well written and my family absolutely loves these. They talk about them all year. I feel like such an idiot because…for the second year…I rolled them down only 10 inches instead of down 15 inches. I ended up only going “around” 2 times with the cinnamon mixture. They will still taste great but I will get it perfect next time. I like what you said in one of the responses…”practice”…don’t give up if it isn’t absolutely perfect the first time.

Also, I rubbed them all around with the melted butter and did two layers of plastic wrap. One layer was tight around the rolls the other just over the top of the dish. This really helps protect them from drying out overnight. Merry Christmas!

For Christmas Eve we always make your Taco Chicken with Pioneer Woman’s Pico and Guacamole. Your taco chicken is amazing and should be a staple in everyone’s kitchen.

Tina says:

These are by far the best cinnamon rolls ever! I made these after Christmas because the ones I made Christmas evening turned out horrible. My husband said to not look any further because these are the best he has ever had lol, I guess these will remain in our recipe box. I just started a blog tinadoes@blogspot.com and will definitely post about these awesome cinnamon rolls

[…] Roll each roll up tightly.  Using a piece of floss, or a piece of fishing line, and put it underneath your roll up in the middle.  Cross the ends of the floss over the top of the roll and pull.  It will make a clean slice through the roll up.  Repeat on each piece, putting it in the middle of the pice until you have 8 equal pieces.  (A great idea I got from Our Best Bites.) […]

Stacey says:

Scrumptious! Same fabulous taste and light, fluffy texture as the Everyday Cinnamon Rolls but with the convenience of being able to make them a day ahead. I cut 10 and they are enormous and filled every ounce of a 9×13! I think even if I cut 12, they would be fatter than the Everydays. Both absolutely perfect recipes. I took the Overnights to share with some PTO moms while we worked this morning and they were a huge hit. Shared the recipes and your website!

Stacey says:

I can’t count. I cut 8 of these (not 10) and they were ginourmous. They spread out and filled the entire 9×13.

Hannah says:

Hi,

Thanks for the wonderful recipe and mouthwatering pictures which inspired me to begin baking last night! The rolls turned out lovely, the dough when cooked looked like bakery rolls and the glaze was delightful. One problem albeit an overwhelming one, the rolls had this unmissable taste of yeast :S it kind of ruined the whole thing as whilst all else was perfect this was a big issue. I am determined to try them again, what could I have done wrong and what to do to improve?

[…] you don’t want to use this dough, you can use one of our many other doughs like this one or this or this or this or this. So pick a dough. Whatever […]

[…] hope it all goes smoothly tomorrow! I’m off to finish the preparation for homemade cinnamon rolls for […]