Okay, do you ever find yourself in Costco [I can only dream] or Sam’s Club around this time of year and see those GIANT flats of strawberries for, like, $3? And you think to yourself, “Self, that is an awesome deal on strawberries, but after the novelty wears off with my kids and my husband and myself and I make strawberry shortcake and strawberry jam and some strawberry smoothies, what will I do with the remaining 14 pounds of berries?” Well, I have your answer. This strawberry sauce has about a million uses, is freezer-friendly, and is so much better than that jar of Smuckers strawberry sauce that you’ve had sitting in your fridge since that time you made banana splits 1 1/2 years ago.

Strawberry Sauce
1 pint strawberries
1/3 c. white sugar
1 tsp. almond extract (my favorite) or vanilla extract

Uh-oh. 3 or less ingredients. A loser recipe in Sara’s brother Drew’s opinion… ;)

Wash strawberries and remove stems. If you’re feeling ambitious, you can roughly chop the berries, but I say you’re already feeling ambitious enough by making your own strawberry sauce. So don’t sweat it.

Combine berries, sugar, and extract in medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for five minutes, stirring/breaking strawberries up with a wooden spoon constantly.

After five minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly (if you have a glass blender jar) and a lot (if you have a plastic blender jar). When cool enough, transfer mixture to blender and pulse until desired consistency is reached.

Personally, I’m not a huge fan of large chunks of mystery fruit, so I like it smooth, but you can do it however you want.

Wanna know what to do with it?

–Make banana splits with this and Sara’s hot fudge sauce
–Drizzle over plain ol’ cheesecake
–Spoon some over this ice cream, with or without the cinnamon (depending on how brave you’re feeling)
–I’m envisioning this sauce atop a pizzookie with sugar cookie dough and lemon ice cream
–My proudest use of strawberry sauce: mix a couple of tablespoons (depending on the size of the glass and your own personal taste) with this fresh-squeezed lemonade for strawberry lemonade. So so so so good…

Chocolate waffles, anyone? If that’s not your thing, you could put them on your favorite French toast, waffles, or pancakes. Speaking of French Toast- try this one!
–Drizzle over angel food cake and add a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.

Hmmm…I’m thinking either a straw or a spoon would be a good way to consume this, lol. Yum!

Kerran says:

Since I’m trying to lose a few pounds I’m making my sauce with Splenda for sugar and crystal lite for the lemonade. Yummm. I’ve been missing the strawberry lemonade.

Ciao Chow Linda says:

Great idea. This would be good for smoothies in the morning – or added to yogurt for breakfast.

Joanna says:

This looks and sounds so good! I’ll have to try this. We all love strawberries!

Bunny says:

Ok first I’m jealous that you can by a flat of strawberries for $3!! We don’t have any of those stores around here. This syrup will come in very very handy this summer and you said you can freeze it too??

Kate says:

Bunny–yeah, it definitely freezes really well. This way, you can have the taste of strawberries all year! :)

Erin says:

…or you could do what I did last week: attempt to make strawberry freezer jam, but instead of actually making jam, it is more like strawberry syrup because you didn’t cook the pectin long enough.

This looks much easier, and much yummier (and much less frustrating). Thanks!

Adrienne says:

oh yum! I’m needing some for strawberry lemonade right now! and then a cheesecake, and then banana splits and then …I will stop there.

The Cookie Girl says:

mmmm….delicious! Strawberries are a fave of mine

Steph says:

No new wonderful ideas here, but I’m loving the strawberry lemonade one!

Michaelp0429 says:

Make chocolate cups (or bags) by melting dipping chocolate blocks and painting onto the inside of a cup-cake foil, then refrigerate. Make white chocolate mouse (any recipe will do). Pour a tiny bit of strawberry sauce in bottom of the chocolate cups. Break up an ice-cream sandwich into bite sized pieces and add. Top with white chocolate mousse. Drizzle more strawberry sauce. Fight everyone in the room to see who gets to eat the most.

@sweetbabboo says:

Hey great! I still have 2 pints of strawberries left after making two batches of jam, strawberry bread, strawberry muffins, strawberry-rhubarb pie, and strawberry shortcake. This will be perfect for those last two pints. One batch for the freezer and one batch to use on ice cream tonight.

-Abby

Morgan and Derek says:

Look how pretty! I love all things strawberries.

Erika says:

Yum, this is the kind of thing I could just drink! By the way, I made your chili-lime steak salad for dinner last night and it was the best salad ever!!! What an awesome recipe. My family devoured it and even wanted seconds! I have a feeling I’m going to be making this baby just about every week now! Thanks for the wonderful creation.

Ingrid says:

This is a great recipe to have as it is easily adaptable for use with other berries.

Btw, almond extract rocks! :)
    ~ingrid

Yum! Where was this last week when I accidentally bought a whole flat of strawberries from the little spanish-speaking man on the corner and they were moldering on the counter? LOL.

Katrina says:

Yey! just in time, I just bought a flat of strawberries yesterday! strawberry lemonade sounds soooo good right now. i also plan on adding some to homemade yogurt so i can have strawberry flavored! You could probably make some awesome virgin strawberry daquiris with it too – Put 2 C strawberry syrup,4 C ice, and 1/4 C lime juice (Fresh squeezed of course!) in the blender and blend away!

Talita says:

Wow! What a colorful post! Cute!

Sarah says:

I keep reading suggestions for what you could do with pesto. I would like to know what your pesto recipe is like.

Candy says:

awesome. i want to go to costco tomorrow.

hilarious description at the beginning by the way kate.

Mindy says:

This sounds great! If there’s one thing I can’t pass up at the store, it’s strawberries! I’m definitely going to use some of this for lemonade. Maybe I’ll freeze them into ice cubes and use that to cool the lemonade down…

becca says:

We were invited over to some friends’ house today for crepes and I made this as our topping contribution. I had frozen strawberries and blackberries, so I did some of each and it was delicious! Everybody raved about the amazing berry sauce, so thanks for the recipe!

(BTW… strawberry sauce + nutella = perfection!)

Suz says:

Um… Yum! I love almond extract in cherry pie and peach pie. Never thought to put it in strawberries.. why didn’t I think of that?!?!?!?

Memória says:

Thanks! I love recipes with 3 or FEWER ingredients!! I just bought some strawberries today, so I’ll be making this tomorrow.

Riddle Girl says:

I hope it is ok to come back to older posts and post MUCH later. I just want to try the yummy recipies before I can comment.

This one we have used twice now and OH MY GOODNESS-YUMM! We will be trying it in lemonade tonight. But on waffles it is PERFECT!
    Keep rockin ALL of the great treats!
    I don't think I will ever buy another cookbook. I have just been printing off many of these and created my own Best Bites binder! (I have yet to try one that is not great!)

Kate says:

Riddle Girl, um, yeah, no commenting on posts that are off the main page! TOTALLY kidding–we'll take comments whenever we can get them!

I'm so glad you loved it–let us know how it goes with the lemonade!

KC and Lana dee says:

Okay we tried this on chocolate waffles and with lemonade and it was amazing – but then I thought of another use for it I wanted to share…I added it to unsweetened plain applesauce to make strawberry applesauce! It was sooo yummy and my kids loved it too! Thanks for all the awesome recipes:)

Adriann says:

Is there a way to make this thick enough to put on one of Sara's scones? Or should I just stick to jam?

vlaizure says:

this is a bit late, but how long does this stay good in the fridge?

crackedupkitchen.blogspot.com

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

vlaizure–I can't say for sure, but I don't think I'd keep it longer than 2 weeks.

Hope that helps!

April says:

Where did you find that cute, cute pitcher? I've loved it in every single post I see it in!

laurel says:

I'm making this for father's day! And do please tell where you found that cute pitcher?? I want to know, too!!

Oh, believe or not, that pitcher is from Walmart! Both Kate and I have it and love it! It only cost a few bucks too :)

Sweet and Savory says:

I get strawberries, blueberrie, tomatoes and bell peppers, each week from Costco. Dreamy.

I then concoct recipes to use them with.

I want to try your sauce. Just printed it.

Laura says:

Ever tried this with blueberries? Which extract would be better? I came home with a flat of each from Costco only to have my husband inform me that he "doesn't really like blueberries that much." Um, hmmm . . . so I need to get rid of them fast. :)

Laura, I bet it would be really yummy with blueberries, and either extract.

And if you need some other ideas, try this ice cream:

or the blueberry pudding pops in this post:

Laura says:

Thank you! And FYI, it was divine with blueberries but I did blend them up a bit before bringing them to a simmer since they retain their juice more than strawberries.

M.W. says:

Just wanted to say that this is absolutely my favourite cooking blog, and all the recipes are great, but this recipe is my favourite without a doubt. The sauce is delicious and so versatile. I put it on waffles, ice cream, in lemonade, atop bananas (and just eat them like that) and, when no one's looking, I might just eat it by the spoonful.

My favourite thing to do with it so far though, is to flavour yogurt. Instead of buying aspartame-filled fruit yogurt, I just buy plain yogurt and throw in a dollop of this sauce, and bingo, strawberry yogurt that I could eat by the gallon! I also used it to make all fruit popsicles. Yum.

TRICIA says:

Another dynamite way to have strawberries is in a sauce with chopped kiwi. Yummy & the kiwi are full of antioxidants. I think the strawberries are good sources of Vit C & potassium. Can anyone verify that or correct it?

Nutty Mom says:

I couldn't make the scrambled egg pockets in the shape of hearts, so instead I made them rectangular, and painted a heart on with food coloring. Turned out really well!

GutiFam says:

Since I'm new to this blog I've just found this recipe which will be a simple solution to a recent challenge. I've been trying to think of something that my family will use instead of syrup on our otherwise healthy pancakes in the morning. I plan on trying this recipe but substituting agave nectar for the syrup in order to make it diabetic friendly. I'm very excited to have found this today!

Sherezada says:

Thanks for sharing this! I was looking for a quick, easy way to preserve some strawberries I had in the fridge before I left on vacation. Now I have strawberry sauce to look forward to when I get home! :)

Kristi says:

I am loving all of your strawberry recipes. I just picked 24 lbs at a farm yesterday, so needless to say, strawberry recipes are on my mind right now!

Audrea says:

So, this strawberry syrup saved my Mom’s birthday cheesecake yesterday! For her birthday my mom requested something, anything with fresh strawberries, so we bought a half a flat from a roadside stand on Saturday. Well, when we woke up on Sunday, the strawberries had completely gone bad (im talking fuzzy and white and juice pooling on the counter and spilling onto the floor.) We always refrigerate our strawberries, but the one time we forget, bad things happen.

Anyways, how did your Strawberry Syrup save the day you ask? Since it was Sunday we couldn’t just run out and buy more. My sister happened to have some strawberries that she had bought a frozen a while back, but those wouldn’t have been too good on cheesecake, so we pulled up this recipe and threw together some amazing deliciousness!

I’m sure this would have turned about a 100 times better had we used fresh strawberries, but EVERYONE loved it and it was delicious on the cheesecake! Thank you so much!

Mary says:

I was thinking of making this and pouring it into popsicle molds that the kids could eat (and let’s be honest, hubby and I will probably eat too)…how would that be? Too sweet? Not sweet enough? The 2 lbs of strawberries I bought at Costco yesterday for $6 are organic and are much sweeter than non-organic strawberries I’ve eaten in the past. Thanks!

Diana says:

I made the Molten Lava cakes, again, and drizzled this over the plate. WOW! It looked so fancy and was yummy. Thanks again!

TaraJoy says:

Fantastic on French Toast!!!! wow! I could still be eating it!! Thanks for fantastic ideas! And so simple!

Wendy says:

mmmmmmm, we love it on cereal. It’s especially good with cheerios, rice crispies, etc.

Rusty says:

Your mentioned, in an e-mail, the other day that you didn’t like strawberry pie because the glaze always tasted artificial. Well, you haven’t tried my wife’s strawberry pie recipe. Do you accept donated recipes? I’d be glad to send you the best strawberry pie recipe you have ever have ever tasted. And, since this is an old family recipe, there is nothing artificial about it, just yummy, plump strawberries just waiting for gobs of whipped cream!

Kim says:

I would LOVE your strawberry pie recipe, Rusty!! If you don’t mind… :o)
      photoqueen13@yahoo.com

Cheryl says:

Hopefully I’m not too late to reach you, Rusty, but I would also love, love, love to have your family recipe for strawberry pie! Any chance you could post it here for everyone to enjoy — with Kate and Sara’s permission, of course! Otherwise, my email address is cherylh777@aol.com. Thanks!!

Kellie says:

This looks and sounds amazing! I’m going to try using it in my smoothies.
    Kells @ Backpocketcreations.blogspot.com

Barbara says:

I’m thinkin’………I want to do this Kerran’s way, with Splenda and Crystal Light. No fear – no guilt. Wait – does Crystal Light make limeade? Love limes, not so much lemons. This is Florida. Isn’t there a margarita tree around here somewhere?

Debbie says:

Love your book and the recipes. Where is the printer friendly button?

Debbie–for our more recent posts, there is a print button, but we’re still working on reformatting these older posts. For the time being, the easiest option is to copy the text and paste it into a word processing doc and then delete what you don’t want (pictures, extra commentary, etc.)

Gloria says:

Very simple to make and tastes really great. I’m thinking about putting this on pancakes. :-)

Juliet says:

I’m wondering if I can use this sauce to make fresh strawberry cupcakes? If it is possible, ::crossing my fingers:: how much do you think I’ll need to mix in the batter? Or can I use this to make strawberry whipped cream frosting?

I’m betting you could do both, I just have no idea how with the cake, haha! :) I’d say just add it into some batter, but then you run into issues with adding too much moisture. As far as the frosting goes, just mix it in to taste and it would be awesome.

Rebecca says:

I just made this for the first time! (My first OBB recipe tried, too!) I can’t wait to try this out on some ice cream :-D Incidentally, I had forgotten how beautiful strawberries really are.

Molly says:

Fantastic!! I don’t even like cooked strawberries! I made one batch and loved it so much I made a double batch out of the strawberries that were rotting in the fridge. Strawberry sauce for the freezer to pull out for waffles, french toast, ice cream… Thank you!

Teresa says:

I want to make this to put over cheese cake for mother’s Day. It’s for Relief Society. How many servings do you think I’d get if I drizzled this over each piece if cheese cake?

Thanks!

Wendy says:

I just used the last of my strawberries I froze last year for fruit leather. I cooked ‘em, added some lemon juice & sugar, blended, then dehydrated them and thereafter got the “best Mom” vote from my 7 year old. You’ve inspired me to take the plunge and buy another flat!

Alissa says:

I am not a very experienced cook but I really love to try new things! I’m not quite sure how to measure out a pint of strawberries from a large flat of them. How many strawberries is it?

LOVED this recipe! I made it, immediately dished it up with a bowl of vanilla ice cream and my husband and father were begging for more! To freeze, I put the strawberry syrup in ice cube trays and froze them, then put them in to baggies so I don’t need to thaw large batches when I want to use it for small things. Works wonderfully!

Jules says:

Okay, I substituted the juice of half a lemon for the vanilla, used Whey Low to cut the sugar impact by 3/4, and made a delicious light sweet salad dressing to drizzle over baby greens with pine nuts or walnuts. Yowsers! This is now my favorite dressing! I’m going to go make the second batch now….the first one didn’t last three days. (This would be spectacular on a batch of steaming Popovers too.) Great recipe!

Ellen says:

I used it to make a great salad dressing for a romaine and berry salad. It was delicious. I have also used it for a topping on waffles, another favorite. Thanks for the recipe.

So I bought a jumbo container of strawberries @ Costco and made a strawberry cake and a strawberry spinach salad. I still had 2/3 of a container left. I made this strawberry sauce to go on waffles Sunday morning. Everyone loved it. I will probably just make up the rest of the strawberries into this sauce and freeze it for future use. Thanks!

Boy, do I love a good fruit sauce. You inspired me to make this last weekend for my French toast. Even blogged about it today. Very yummy indeed.

Lauren says:

So when I was growing up, my nanny always put a strawberry sauce on my waffles and pancakes. Since I stopped going, I have been searching everywhere for something like it. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR! Thank you so much. I just got your cookbook in the mail and have marked so many to be cooked in the summer.

Jenn says:

Do you think I could seal this in a jar to send overseas? And thank you, your blog and then cookbook have changed the way I think about food!

Stacey says:

This is wonderful stuff! I actually leave mine chunky — I like how it looks on ice cream, strawberry shortcake, and waffles that way.

Rosann says:

I made this yesterday and it’s delicious. My question though is, how long will it remain fresh in the fridge and should I freeze it?

Thanks!!
    Rosann

Rosann- I don’t know exactly how long it will last because it’s never lasted long enough to go bad at my house! Just keep it in an airtight container and it should be fine for a week or maybe even two. You could definitely freeze it as well.

Crystal says:

The best word to describe this is YUM! I just made it for the puffed french toast and it was amazing! I am going to make this sauce all the time now. It’s super simple and a million times better than the store bought stuff. I can’t wait to try it on a sundae!

Mama B says:

Strawberry season is just beginning here and I never think until it’s over to make sauce to put in the freezer. Thanks for the reminder.

Rachelle says:

just wondering how long the sauce lasts in the fridge?? and in the freezer too.
    I just made a couple batches, thanks so much its taste yummy!!

I received a gallon ziplock bag full of strawberries and blueberries from a ward breakfast. I used some to make this and it is AMAZING! It’s not too sugary, and it is just divine on ice cream, pancakes, limeades, and even mixed in greek yogurt! Yum! I am featuring this recipe on my blog this week. Thanks for all of your wonderful recipes ladies!

rhonda Gordon says:

tired this with fresh peaches too and it was awesome!

rhonda Gordon says:

tried this with fresh peaches and it was awesome!!! ( can’t spell if you notice previous post..lol )

Misty says:

I just finished eating my first triple batch of this and need to get more strawberries:) This is a pregnant girl’s dream sauce. At least one who hasn’t been able to have chocolate due to heartburn. I eat it with ice cream, make milkshakes, lemonade, and pancakes, french toast…

Misty says:

Oh and mine lasted more than a month in the fridge with no problems- I kept meaning to freeze, but never did. I had it in a airtight container with a twist-able lid.

Jenny says:

This is super yummy but just a warning, if you don’t eat it right away, it will explode in your fridge without a twist-able lid on it. It happened to mine only after about two weeks. So sad. :( You’ll just have to eat it faster than I was able to!

Katrina says:

Have you ever tried canning or freezing this? I’m not sure I would actually use it all up before it goes bad—between living alone and eating refined-sugar-free (so the banana split suggestion is not likely to happen any time soon). Thoughts?

Courtney says:

Just made this for my mom’s strawberry shortcake bday cake…so excited to use it. WAS sooo sooo simple to make and yummy on my taste test. ;)

Emily Muir says:

Don’t mean to sound like an idiot…..but how much is two pints of strawberries? 4 cups, I know. But do you measure them when they’re whole, or sliced?

It doesn’t really need to be exact Emily. If the strawberries are small, I measure them whole, if they’re huge, I just slice them in half. (And not a idiotic question at all, girl!)

Rachel says:

What a great recipe, and it’s so simple. I love the almond extract. Most of the recipes similar to this one call for lemon juice. I added a little lime juice and it was a great addition. I can’t wait to try it over cheesecake.

Jesseca says:

Can you freeze this for later use? I just bought waaaaay too many berries, and this is a family favorite at our home. :0) I was just wondering if I could freeze it now, and pull some out to use later?

Carlie says:

I love it! so yummy! Would it work with cherries? I have cherry tree, so I have a ton of cherries and I don’t think I have time to can all of them. so I’m looking for others things to do with them. If you have any other ideas, please share!

I bet that would be delish- make sure to use almond extract! I’m jealous you have a cherry tree! Check out our recipe for a Galette, one of my faves for cherries.

Jackie says:

Made this tonight and it tastes amazing! I plan on using it over angel food cake and fresh strawberries (and maybe some whipped cream :)

Laurie says:

I’ve made this a few times already and can’t even tell you how many ways we use this sauce! Waffles, pancakes, crepes, oatmeal, french toast, cold cereal, strawberry lemonade, strawberry shakes, drizzled over cheesecake, ice cream, yogurt… etc. Can’t wait to learn how to make horchata and mix it in there! Oh, and it has waaaaay less sugar, less prep, and more flavorful than freezer strawberry jam. Thank you SO much for this recipe which I’ll use ALL the time now. I think I’m in love with strawberries…

Kamey says:

I was wondering if you can freeze this, and if you can, how long can it stay in the freezer? Thanks!!

Shayleen says:

I’ve made this a few times over the summer to not only use up strawberries from our garden, but because it’s absolutely delicious when you add it to your lemonade!!! Now I have tons of raspberries and wondering if I could make a raspberry sauce the same way? What do you think? I know there would be lots of seeds, but I’m figuring they’d mostly go to the bottom when you are drinking? When my husband ate at Tucano’s in Utah over the summer, he had a raspberry brazilian lemonade drink that was great (but honestly, my passion fruit brazilian lemonade was THE BOMB!) and so I was thinking of trying the sauce in the brazilian lemonade?

Yep, it would probably work. You’d have to adjust the sugar to taste, and you might want to puree it and strain the seeds out when you’re done. You’ll have to experiment!

Serena says:

Could the same thing be done with fresh peaches? I have a case of them I need to use up and I HATE canned peaches, but my family devours the strawberry sauce I made and have in the freezer. It’s a great base for the breakfast smoothies we make! Thanks!

chelsea forkin says:

this is awsome! where did you get that adorale jar?

Christie says:

Oh my goodness!! That sounds SUPER YUMMY!!! Thank you for sharing!! By the way, I also have a Blendtec and I LOVE IT!!!! It is the BEST blender!! I use it ALL the time!!! ( :

Ladybug says:

What timing for me to come across this recipe! My daughter has been asking for strawberry juice lately. I can mix this sauce with seltzer and she will love it!

Lindsay B says:

I just realized I didn’t cook the strawberries– just blended them up. (didn’t think I needed to actually read the recipe…duh) Should I cook them to kill any bacteria or something, or was that step for flavor?

Leslie Hobbs says:

I was just wondering if there was an alternative to white sugar that would work. Do you think Stevia would work? Love the idea of the strawberry sauce, but we want to cut back on white sugar. Could you suggest another alternative that wouldn’t change the flavor. We often us natural maple syrup or raw honey in place of sugar in recipes, but it may affect the taste of this sauce. Thanks.

Alecia says:

This stuff looks amazing! I think I’ll try it with some sort of sugar substitute then vary different extracts- I’m thinking coconut would be my favorite.

Alecia says:

Oh man, yeah. Soooo I tried my own variation of this with sweet n low, black berries and lemon extract. PERFECT for waffles!

[...] Alternative Strawberry Sauce. I feel guilty eating pancakes sometimes because I like to drench them in sugary syrup. This seems [...]

Ericka says:

How long will this keep in the fridge?

Erin says:

can you freeze on a ice cream cake will it set or not?

Erin says:

Im wanting to make it in the middle of a ice cream cake like the dairy queen ones with fudge in the middle wanting strawberries in the middle

[...] Strawberry Sauce (Original Recipe from Our Best Bites) [...]

[...] Strawberry Sauce – adapted from Our Best Bites  [...]

[...] This dish is undeniably voluptuous! This would awaken your desire over lavish food! A bite of this would only make you crave for more servings! I mean you’d fall in love with the flavor and become affectionate with it before you know it! I’m sure this is a kind of dish that you’d wish will be on your table everyday!For this yummy recipe, hop on over to here [...]

[...] milkshake is made with a fresh strawberry sauce from Our Best Bites.  It is a great way to use up strawberries if you  buy too many and cannot [...]

I had no idea this was even possible. Thank you from the bottom of my giant bowl of strawberries!

Erica says:

I love making this to put in your fresh squeezed lemonade. I made a lot so I could freeze it and have plenty for the whole summer BUT my brother in law seriously ate the whole freaking bowl on me! Lol. Good thing it is so easy to make =)

[…] with Strawberry Sauce [cake from You Can Trust a Skinny Cook by Allison Fishman, sauce from Our Best Bites] click to […]

[…] Recipe and photo by Our Best Bites. […]

[…] her if I thought they’d actually taste good enough to be worth it!), there is this recipe for Strawberry Sauce that we make for pancakes or waffles from time to time, and I’ve made it with frozen as well […]