A couple of years ago, my sister in law Monica shared a quick and easy dessert idea with me. She sliced up a couple of bananas, sprinkled them with a little brown sugar and cinnamon and popped them under the broiler for just a minute so the sugar caramelized and turned into a syrup-ish kinda thing. While it’s still hot, you dump it over a bowl of vanilla ice cream and it’s the most yummy thing ever. I made it recently and when I got to the bottom of the bowl I had some melted vanilla ice cream that was all combined with the cinnamon-brown sugar goodness and some remnants of mushed caramelized banana. The flavors were so heavenly, and it was at that moment I knew I needed to turn it into an ice cream flavor of its own.

My experiment didn’t disappoint. I slow roasted bananas in brown sugar and cinnamon and then mixed it in a super easy {no cook!} base. The banana flavor is mild, but it’s the perfect amount of sweetness and the brown sugar and cinnamon round out the flavor palate. I know a lot of people have issues with cooked bananas- and if you’re one of those people, don’t fret. I puree the caramelized bananas into the ice cream, so all you get is the amazing flavor and extra creaminess!

Caramelized Banana Ice Cream
print recipe text only

4 ripe bananas, sliced into 1/2-1″ segments
1/4 C brown sugar
1 t cinnamon
1 T real butter, melted

2 C heavy cream
1 C whole milk (vit D milk)
1/2 C white sugar
1/4 t salt
2 t vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Line a 9 x 13″ baking dish with foil and place bananas in it. Sprinkle brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter over bananas and toss well with hands. Spread bananas out in a single layer.

Bake bananas (in your 400 degree preheated oven) for 15 minutes. Stir, and bake for 15 more. Remove from oven and cool on counter top. By this point you will have a scrumptious, thick syrup in there too.

While bananas are cooking combine cream, whole milk, white sugar, salt, and vanilla. Whisk until sugar is dissolved. Set in fridge to chill.

When bananas are completely cooled, puree them in a food processor* until completely smooth. Using a whisk, stir them into the milk mixture until combined. Chill entire mixture.

Churn in an ice cream maker and transfer to an air tight container in the freezer to set up. Makes 1 1/2 quarts.

*If you don’t have a food processor, you can use your blender. If you choose to do so, leave the whole milk out of the original milk mixture and use the milk to puree with the bananas. Don’t put the cream mixture in the blender after, make sure to whisk them both together by hand.

Note: The roasted bananas in this recipe make the ice cream incredibly soft and smooth, but it may be softer than usual when coming straight out of your ice cream maker so it’s important to let the ice cream set in the freezer for a few hours before eating.

After I took the picture above, I started to wonder what I could add to it. Nuts? Coconut? Cookies? My husband told me not to mess with a good thing and I’m glad I took his advice. (Although one thing still on my list is to make it into ice cream sandwiches with these cookies) It’s perfect just the way it is. But I could think of just one thing that would make it irrisistable.

Wait for it…

Ya, that’s what I’m talking about.

Get the recipe for Kate’s buttermilk caramel syrup here.
And then go make yourself a bowl of this:

The only other thing that can make home made ice cream any better than it already is are homemade waffle cones. I make mini ones and they’re perfect for my mini monkeys.

Christine says:

Please, please, please give us a waffle cone tutorial! Now if only I had an ice cream maker… sticking to the gallon tubs for now.

PS – I absolutely love your blog and link to it often from mine! It is one thing to create new and yummy recipes but it is another to make it look so good!

Thanks for all the great recipes!

Cami says:

What temperature do you bake the bananas at? Did I just miss it?

And yes please to the waffle cone tutorial!

Manda says:

I need to know how to make waffle cones!
    And I'm excited to try this ice cream, and happy that you puree the banana :)
    If it has fruit in it, it's healthy, right?

Susan (5 Minutes For Mom) says:

You're killing me over here!!! Don't you know I'm trying to fit into my dresses for the BlogHer parties??? Now all I can think about is ice cream.

Sonya says:

I'd LOVE a tut on how to make a waffle cone!! please and thank you

Marie says:

wow! I will definitely be giving this a try especially since we have an ice cream maker…and YES! Please do a tutorial for homemade waffle cones! My kids would be so thankful!

Elizabeth and Luna says:

That would be called a Bananas Foster wich originated in New Orleans, Louisiana. I had never heard of it until I moved to the East Coast. It's very sweet, but very good!

Love your blog!!!

Andrea says:

That looks DELICIOUS. And I would LOVE a tutorial on homemade waffle cones!

[I seriously LOVE your website. I have now got my mom and my sister hooked on it, too. About 75% of the meals all three of us are making this week have come from your site! Keep up the GREAT work! ]

Kimberly says:

Can't wait to try this one! I recently got the ice cream maker attachment for my kitchen aid and seem to be making ice cream all the time. I can't wait to try this one out!
    Can't wait to see the waffle cone tutorial, sounds fun!

Jess says:

Please, please, please tell me how to make waffle cones!

Erin says:

Oh my. That looks like heaven! If you look at my blog today, you will see a picture of what I would be doing to that bowl of ice cream with flourish…

And yes, a waffle cone tutorial sounds amazing!

Jarmeg Family says:

that looks so delicious! i would love a waffle cone tutorial… please please please!!!

The Wifey says:

Well I was wrong about the bread part but totally guess banana. Where are my bonus points? :)

Looks deeeeelish!

Kara says:

Oh danggit, now I want ice cream for breakfast! This looks heavenly! And I would love a waffle cone tutorial.

Adrienne says:

I want to know how to make waffle cones…thanks for another yummy recipe!

Christina says:

It seems as if everyone is posting sorbets and ice cream these days. Sounds like it's time for me to get an ice cream maker! This sounds delicious. But I must say I'm even more excited about the waffle cone tutorial!! I don't think I can wait another day for that one!!! Ever consider a weekend post????

The Wifey says:

Oh and just because I'm a crazy spelling person you spelled "ivaway" without the E. Giveaway. I'm sure you just missed it on accident.

I know I know, no need to thank me.

Thanks spelling Nazi, er, I mean Carly ;) I don't know how you noticed that when it was in giant, bold letters, haha. Not the best time to mis-spell a word!

OREGON SOUTHWORTHS says:

Oh man, all these ice cream and sorbet recipes…. I am seriously wanting an ice cream maker now! I had never really thought that it was a much-needed appliance, but I am having second thoughts. That ice cream, especially with the syrup, looks AMAZING! Yum!

Brookel says:

oh yes, waffle cones are the best and to make them myself i'm sure they would be even better! love love love your blog, it makes me feel like a gourmet cook but you make everything so simple and easy to create.
    thanks for all your posts!

Ingrid says:

I make something so similar but I call mine a roasted banana ice cream. It of course is a recipe but very close. I do however sub some of the cream & milk for buttermilk. If offsets some of the richness of the bananas. I have also added dulce de leche. I'm definitely giving your recipe a try along with Kate's sauce! Thanks for sharing & PLEASE, can I have a waffle cone tutorial! Pretty please!?

Happy Friday!
    ~ingrid

jill says:

first of all, Yes. A million times, yes to a waffle cone tutorial!!

secondly, that icecream looks SO tasty, I'm afraid I will have to go buy some bananas this very minute!

Kathryn says:

Mmmmm…homemade waffle cones. Somehow it seems possible to do if only we have Our Best Bites to show us how real people can do it. :)

Do you think I could do a short cut and just blend the banana bake mixture in with store-bought vanilla ice cream, refreeze and serve?

ec says:

waffle cone recipe? yes please.

this looks delicious ….

Britney says:

I love your site, I check it a couple times a week and cook from it often! Love the ice cream recipes and would love to learn how to make waffle cones! Keep up the great work!

Katie Tyler says:

what kind of question is "would you be interested in making homemade waffle cones?"??!!! I may never leave the house all summer with a recipe for waffle cones!! can't wait!

Andrew & Carlene Wood says:

I just found you blog a few weeks ago and have tried about 7 of your recipes and love, love, love them!! YOU guys are AMAZING!

And YES I would be interested in learning to make homemade waffle cones, yummy!

Andrew & Carlene Wood says:

And YES I would be interested in learning to make homemade waffle cones, yummy!

Andrew & Carlene Wood says:

by the way, I just ordered the Cusinart Ice Cream Maker you had blogged about…I can't wait until it comes!

Andrew & Carlene Wood says:

Andrew & Carlene Wood says:

BY the way, what temperature do the bananas roast at?

Andrew & Carlene Wood says:

BY the way, what temperature do the bananas roast at?

Kathryn- You bet you could just blend it into store-bought ice cream. It wouldn't be quite as yummy as homemade stuff, but it would be really really good!

For all of you asking about the oven temp- it's the first step listed. Preheat to 400 :)

LeBeau Family says:

I love bananas! We can't wait to try it and we'd love to know how to make waffle cones. Craig would like to know if there is a job opening for a Second-Opinion-Taste-Tester before you post your entries. haha.

Jilla B says:

I made this yesterday along with the Buttermilk caramel sauce and served it over a banana pound cake. Absolutely DELICIOUS. Plus I love ice creams that don't involve a custard….I'm lazy that way. Thanks for posting this. It's definitely going into my favorite ice cream file!

Laura says:

Would love to learn how to make waffle cones!

Deborah says:

It sounds amazing – but that dripping caramel is what gets me!!

Kevin says:

What an amazing sounding ice cream especially with the caramel sauce! Great shots with the caramel sauce dripping all over it.

Suzy says:

Oh wow..this looks and sounds insanely good. I am definitely giving this a try. I am always trying to think of ways to use my bananas. Thanks for sharing this great recipe. If you have the time come check out the Ice Cream Social event I'm having over at my blog this weekend. There are some great recipes being shared. You can link up there if you'd like too.

Holman Family says:

Absolutely … love to see the waffle cone tutorial. Can't wait and, thanks for asking :-)

You guys do such an amazing job on your blog, thanks for sharing!

Katy says:

I just found your blog and I'm loving it!!! I would totally love to see a tutorial on the waffle cones!! :)

Russell says:

Mmmmm… I need an ice cream machine soooooo bad. But, I'd still love to know how to make waffle cones for my store-bought stuff until I can afford one. So please share!!! Thanks…

LuCDay says:

Why would you even ask? Of course we want a waffle cone tutorial, that's why we come here! Sounds like I'm going to have to dust off my ice cream maker now. :o)

Koko says:

I'm in the mood for ice cream now! This is drool-worthy, decadent, HEAVEN! How I would loooove to try this!

Sweet Charity says:

I love how the sauce is just drizzling out of the bowl! Gorgeous!!

Jacksons says:

Sara! It's been awhile and I just checked your blog and holy professional!! I'm seriously impressed. Can't say I'm surprised, though :)

betchacanteatjustone says:

oh my! this looks incredible!

Bunny says:

This sounds sinfully good!! I have to try this!

D.I.M. Incorporated says:

Can't wait to try this!And yes, of course we'd love to learn how to make waffle cones! :)

WOW, YUM!!!!! I need to make this! I would also love to learn how to make homemade waffle cones! :) thanks!

kateweather says:

I love, love, love the pictures of the caramel sauce dripping on the ice cream. Makes me want some NOW!

Leah says:

I would really like a tutorial on homemade waffle cones. Yummy Ice Cream.

Andrea says:

Please, yes! Waffle cones are great and if I can make them myself: even better! Are these the kind you can make and freeze or store for later?

Angela says:

What kind of ice cream maker do you have that you can scoop it like that? THe only kind of home made ice cream that I have made that you can scoop has a can of sweetened condensed milk in it. It always goes rock hard with other kinds.

Angela- it's probably not your ice cream maker, it's probably the recipe. Try this one for example, the bananas add a smooth, creamy texture that keep it soft. The cream cheese and custard in our blueberry cheesecake ice cream will do the same thing. Usually when it goes rock hard like that it's because it doesn't have a good balance of fat to keep it soft.

tanalicious says:

yes please! who doesnt need a recipe for home made waffle cones!

lesley says:

yummmmm… Sadly I can't have dairy right now but that didn't stop me. I tried the caramelized bananas in a bowl of oatmeal over the weekend and they were delicious! When dairy is back in my life I can't wait to try the ice cream!

Glynda says:

When I was dairy-free, I would just substitute coconut milk (the full fat canned kind) for the dairy in ice cream recipes. It’s pretty decadent and made me not miss the dairy so much.

Katrina says:

Awesome. I'm so loving my new ice cream maker and I LOVE all things banana. This ice cream sounds great!

Annika says:

I would dig a waffle cone tutorial!

Megan says:

Please do a waffle cone tutorial!!

Karen says:

I too would love a waffle cone tutorial!

How long do you churn your ice cream? I made this last night and the machine ran for an hour but didn't get past soupy. Either I need a new machine or I need to plan to church it for about 3 hours. We wound up putting it in ziplocks and tossing it to hurry things up!

Still…it was delicious! Especially with the buttermilk syrup!

Karen- my guess is that you processed the cream too much. I say that because I did it once too! I actually worried about people doing this, so I just re-worded the directions. Sometimes when you pulse the cream in the blender or food processor it causes the soupy problem. So try mixing it in by hand next time. I churn it for the normal amount of time for my ice cream maker- about 30 minutes. After you churned it did you put it in the freezer to set up? That's an important step too. This is an extremely soft ice cream at first so it really needs time in the freezer to set. Even my soupy batch was perfect the next day after freezing. Hopefully the next time it will all work for ya!

Cusaks says:

Did I miss the waffle cone making? I would also really love one if it hasn't been done yet. I couldn't find where the recipe is. I am ready to make this ice cream! Sounds great!

I thought this recipe was amazing! my kids loved it and my husband did even more! thankyou so much! And please,please,please post the waffle cone tutorial! :)

Brooke - in Oregon says:

I just added this to my 'Recipes to try' folder! lol That folder is getting HUGE! For ever one I try I add at least 3 more! lol

I did a search for the waffle cone tutorial but did not find it?

LoriK says:

I need that waffle cone recipe. Please post the tutorial soon!!!

Carlyn says:

mm I made this ice cream for a church ice cream competition and it won 2nd place ! (out of 14…but still!) The texture really is out of this world.. usually the texture of home made ice cream I make comes out icy and hard but this one felt just like the kind at the grocery store!

Carlyn- 2nd place is awesome! Congrats!

Amalia says:

Waal,I love this. I love cooking though I hardly have time to. just yesterday, I was asking colleagues at work about ideas for desserts and there you are with such a yummy ice/cream. Help me where can I order a good ice cream maker. I do not have one.

Melanee says:

We just tried this recipe for our ice cream maker’s maiden voyage. It was heavenly! I can’t wait to try all of your others.

Brittany says:

This looks and sounds amazing! I can’t wait to try it! And a waffle cone tutorial? Please do! That’d be awesome! And just in time for summer!! :)

Gary Brocato says:

Yes…the waffle cone maker without a special mechanism would be a great trick to learn. Please help us with this either through email or online tutorial. This banana ice cream is next on my list to make. I am ordering an ice cream maker today. Thank for all the other great stuff…like the pies in a jar. They were a hit!

Lindsie says:

I’m a first time reader to your blog looking for a recipe for our 4th of July celebration. I plan on making a dairy free version with coconut milk!

Donna says:

Found your site this week! Wow! The pictures really make it pop! Everything looks SO good! Can’t wait to cook up some of the recipes!

I would also love to see how you make those waffle cones. Any hope of that happening?

Ailene Hert says:

Have you posted a waffle cone tutorial yet? I’d be all over that!

Kara says:

I am so excited to try this ice-cream, and a big emphatic- YES!!! to the waffle-cone tutorial. Sounds dreamy. NOW please! Love the website. THanks girls!

Natalie says:

yes, please! I would love a waffle-cone tutorial!

Ashley says:

I too am new to your blog, and this ice-cream is on a very long list of need to makes. I would love the tutorial on the waffle cones as well, they are my hubby’s favorite!!

Stephanie says:

Okay, I LOVE your site, but have never had the guts to leave a comment. This ice cream is totally comment worthy! I am an ice cream lover and I have to say this is the BEST ice cream I have ever eaten. My chocolate loving husband couldn’t agree more! Oh my goodness!!!!

Jan says:

I’m in the process of making this ice cream and as it chills before going into the churner I’m looking over the sauce recipe. I almost just had a “pre-churner” banana milkshake! This stuff is D-LISH!! Can’t imagine what the final product will be like on a 102+ degree day!

Pam says:

Waffle cone recipe would be great.

oh pretty pretty please with buttermilk syrup on top will you give us the waffle cone recipe….um….and maybe before Sunday? I’m going to make your roasted banana ice cream for dessert and waffle cones would be divine. :)

Sara! Waffle cones please!!

denelle says:

ok, so all i can say is this recipe really surprised me with the amazing taste..when i got done caramelizing the bananas and puree them, i thought…great this is going to taste like frozen baby food (smelt, and looked like something in a Gerber jar) =) however, i must say…you get two snaps in a circle!
    delicious!…oh and i wanted to just add in a tip i have used with all ice cream recipes that call for heavy cream. i only put in half of the amount of heavy cream that is called and the other half i substitute with half and half…made it smooth w/o the film that is left in my mouth after eating home made ice cream with all heavy cream…(hope that made since)

Alexia says:

This was so yummy! I used almond milk in place of whole milk which made for a fluffier, lighter ice cream, but this delivered on flavor. Topped it with a little melted Nutella. Yum!