I think I’ve mentioned before that although I’ve always loved to play around in the kitchen, I didn’t really start exploring my inner foodie until I moved to an apartment my sophomore year of college and had my own (well, shared with 3 other girls, but not my parents) kitchen for the first time. This is literally one of the first dishes I made on a regular basis that wasn’t 100% from a cookbook. And I mean, it’s really not rocket science, but believe me, marinating and grilling vegetables was a long, long way from Some-Kind-of-Browned-Meat-in-Cream-of Something-Soup-Over-Some-Kind-of-Starch-ville where I grew up.

I had completely forgotten about this recipe and then I reconnected with one of my former roommates on Facebook and I remembered that this was one of her favorite things to eat. I feel like I really have come so far in the years since we lived together that it may not be “my thing” anymore, so I decided to try making it again. After pulling these off the grill, I was genuinely surprised that not only was it “my thing,” but it was ultimately “my thing”–fresh and flavorful, a slight twist on something a little more classic. It really kind of…I don’t know…gave me more faith in myself that my initial foodie instincts were so true to who I am now.
You can mix this up a little–use steak instead of chicken or throw in some eggplant and nix the onions if you want. I normally also use green zucchini, but every grocery store in my area was out the day I went shopping, so I doubled up on the yellow zucchini. Also, I am totally and completely in love with mushrooms anyway, and I’ll tell y’all…after they’ve marinated and then been grilled, they are positively divine. But I also (very sadly) get that mushrooms aren’t everyone’s thing. I really, really, REALLY encourage you to keep them, but I definitely don’t want to trigger any gag reflexes out there, so leave them out if you absolutely must.
Grilled Chicken and Veggie Skewers
1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into small, bite-sized pieces
1 each yellow and green zucchini squash, cut in half (if large) and sliced
8 oz. small whole mushrooms, stems removed
1 red, yellow, or orange bell pepper (or combo of 2 or more), chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 small red onion, carefully cut into bite-sized chunks (try to keep as much of the pieces in tact as possible, but don’t stress it if they start to fall apart)
Sweet cherry tomatoes
1 recipe of Zesty Italian Dressing (below) or 1 bottle of Berenstein’s Italian Dressing
Prepare Zesty Italian Dressing:
1/4 c. white vinegar
1/4 c. lemon juice
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. seasoning salt
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (this really doesn’t add much heat; it’s better with it!)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
4 cloves garlic
1 c. canola oil
1/3 c. Parmesan cheese (either fresh or from a can)
3/4 tsp. Italian seasoning (add more if needed)
In a blender, combine vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, mustard, salt, seasoning salt, black pepper, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Blend. While blender is running, slowly add oil in a steady stream. Turn off blender and add Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese. Pulse blender 2-3 times to combine herbs and cheese. Remove 1/2 c. of dressing for basting during grilling and set aside.
Place cut-up chicken in a shallow dish and pour a little less than half of the remaining dressing over the chicken. Place in refrigerator for 2-3 hours or until ready to use.
Place chopped veggies in a dish (a 9×13 pan works great) and pour remaining dressing (except for reserved 1/2 c.) over the veggies. Toss gently to combine. Set aside.
If using bamboo skewers, soak in water for about 30 minutes.
When chicken is done marinating, skewer veggies and chicken (you’ll have far more veggies than chicken, so keep that in mind when assembling your skewers; I use about 3 pieces of chicken per skewer, but as many vegetables as I can get on there).

Preheat grill and then cook skewers for about 10-12 minutes over medium heat until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender-crisp, turning at least once.

They will smell fantastic–the smell and flavor, strangely, is actually very reminiscent of Churrasco restaurants like Tucano’s or Rodizio grill. Pop off one of those GLORIOUS mushrooms as soon as they’re cool enough to handle and serve with some cubed watermelon and Brazilian Lemonade for a fabulous summer feast!

These look gorgeous- I love the colors. Kate, you'll be happy to know that I, a life-long mushroom hater, have been warming up to them lately. I am going to make these this week and just for you I am going to put the mushrooms on!

Lyn says:

I'm loving all the great recipes! Making the Thai Noodle salad tonight. I'll have to try this one next time chicken is on the menu….thanks!

OREGON SOUTHWORTHS says:

These look REALLY good. I love grilled veggies and will have to try this one soon! One of the few ways I will actually eat zucchini. :)

- Jennifer

Jennie B. says:

Looks delicious. I have a question…..Do either of you have a great and simple recipe for ham and potatoes? You know, the cheesy/yummy/some call them funeral potatoes? I'm pregnant and having a Sunday dinner craving!

Kate says:

Hey, Jennie! :) I do have a yummy funeral potatoes recipe–email me at general (at) ourbestbites (dot) com and I'll send it to you. As for ham, I almost always just use the spirarl cut hams with the seasoning packet they come with.

Tammie says:

I like adding potatoes to mine. Also, why are you not having a print text only anymore. THere aer so many things I want to try, but I have to print it out for a later time.

Tammie- we have to enter our recipes into print form separately so sometimes because of the time factor, we post a recipe and then come back to link the print version. I often write my posts late at night so I come back the next day to add the print link and sometimes we get behind! Also, we just started doing the print version a few months ago, so we have to back track to get all of the old recipes print-ready. But thanks for the reminder, I have a bunch that I need to get caught up on so I'll hurry!

One thing you can do in the mean time is hold down the ctrl key while you select just the text you want to print. Then select "print selection" from your print menu. Hope that helps!

Carrie says:

Hi ladies, long time lurker, but have to share my review of your candied walnut salad and honey red wine vinegrette… TO DIE FOR! Literally. If someone told me I could never eat that again I would literally DIE! OK, not really, but I need to make you understand how in love with that salad I am.

Also love your pizza sauce and dough, loved grilling my pizza. Thanks for the tutorial.

Tried your overnight cinnamon roll. They were yummy, wondering, though, if they won't rise if I add a little salt. Dough kinda tasted like it needed a little.

Loved the foccacia bread too. My husband is in love with it.

Can't think of anything else to rave about, but we've tried lots of things and haven't had a recipe from this site that we didn't like. Keep em comin!!!!

Carrie- we love to have lurkers speak up! And if you don't keep doing it, then we'll be forced to prohibit you from ever eating the candied walnut salad ever again. Got it?? ;)

As for the cinnamon rolls- you'll notice that there's salt in the picture, I just forgot to write it down and that's the second time (different recipes) someone's pointed that out to me today! I really need to stop writing my posts out so late at night, lol. So yes, add some salt- I updated the recipe. Thanks for the nice comments!

Katie Tyler says:

Yay! My hubbie was just saying he needs some dinners even HE can throw together that are still edible– this is PERFECT! looks great

Laura says:

These look so good! I still need to master the grill for myself, I rely on my husband for grilling, but so many of your recipes are inspiring me to take grilling into my own hands. Hello, pizza on the grill, I sooo need to try it!

Kricket says:

I am a long time lurker too, and I LOVE your blog. I am using your Asian BBQ chicken tonight. Thanks for ALL of the great recipes and pictures.

Kricket says:

I realized I have a question. What are the ingredients on your tutorial for the BBQ Grilled Pizza. I know you said we can use different things but I want to eat what you have pictured. Is it mozzarella, tomatoes, basil and green onions?

Kricket- thanks for the nice comment first of all. We love to see you lurkers come out of hiding!

On the pizza pictured, I used Kate's pizza sauce recipe:

And I topped it with slices of fresh, whole milk mozzarella, roma tomatoes and fresh basil and oregano. (A simple classic!) If you use fresh herbs, make sure to sprinkle them on at the very end, just before serving. Good luck!

The Food Hunter says:

Thanks for sharing this.

We made these last night for dinner and we loved them. Quick, easy, and so so yummy. Kate, you'll be happy to know that I also ate the mushrooms!

Sonya Blaquiere says:

We went to a bar-be-que this weekend and I said, "I've been dying to try this new receipe" so I'll bring the main dish, and I'll also bring the drink!" I made these skewers and the Brazilian Lemonade! They were both hits! All I heard while everyone was eating were moans and groans of happiness! Thanks for such a great blog, you make me look good!

Spencer Family says:

We had these twice this past week. YUM! We did zuchini, orange pepper, red onion, chicken, and canned potatoes. They were delish! We will definitely be making these more all summer long!

Karen says:

We made these the other night and they were delicious! The dressing is soooo good!

Lauren says:

I think I'm going to make this over the weekend for Mother's Day. About how many people does this recipe feed?

Kim says:

These were delicious! I’m not a mushroom fan, and even after trying these, I’m still not. But at least I tried ‘em, right? Anyway, I do have one recommendation. I was telling my mom about the dressing recipe to use as a chicken marinade and I wasn’t able to find it on your blog by itself–only in this recipe. It would be awesome if it had it’s own link! Anyway, thanks for another delicious meal!

Vanessa says:

Making these again tonight!! Love your grilling section of the index- perfect for the summer!

Melanee says:

Wow, I just made these and I can’t believe I’ve waited so long. They were fantastic! Thanks for all the great recipes and ideas. This is my favorite food blog!

Becky says:

I’m so glad I found these, they look delicious! I’ve been making lots of stuff from your blog lately, it’s always fabulous! We are in love with the asian bbq chicken, and my kids loved the glass block jello. The guiltless alfredo is a new fave too! Oh, and the ooey-gooey pb brownies. They’re my husband’s favorite brownie!
    We’re going out of town and I want to make these for our trip…would it work to skewer the chicken and veggies ahead of time and let them marinate the next day already assembled?

Becky says:

Made these tonight, and my husband and I agree they’re the best chicken kabobs we’ve ever had! I served them with lemon rice, and it was pretty amazing. Thanks for the great recipe!!

Staci says:

I made these last night and they were SO good! I made a ton of veggies and chopped them a little smaller today, added pasta, and some more of the Italian dressing to make a delicious pasta salad for our cookout tonite! LOVE y’all’s recipes!! Thanks!

KHAD says:

Hello. Can you tell me how many people this recipe serves? It probably says somewhere but I can’t seem to find it. THANKS.

This is one of my favorites from your cookbook so far. I’ve made it about 5 times since I bought the book, once for my family of 15 in Hawaii. Huge hit!! That homemade Italian dressing is de-lish!!

Amy says:

These are amazing. We made them for the first time a week ago and they were so good we made them again this past weekend for a party. Everyone LOVED them! I just make the dressing by shaking it in a large jar since it’s easier to clean than my blender. Thanks for a great recipe!

Michelle says:

Made these tonight…they were fantastic! I loved the homemade italian dressing. Too bad my hubby had to work late, he’ll have to enjoy the leftovers!

Hannah says:

I tried making the marinade with extra light olive oil instead of canola oil and after being in the blender it was really thick and creamy! Does that happen with the canola oil too? It tastes great. So far this is my favorite salad dressing :)

Hanna, that just happens when it gets over-processed; it’s happened to me too! Try blending at a lower speed if possible, or just for a shorter amount of time.

Alyssa says:

I never comment on your blog but LOVE ALL of your recipes! This recipe is one I can’t stop thinking about. We had this over a week ago and I remember telling my husband I think I could eat these every day for dinner, maybe even breakfast and lunch :) I’m convinced to never eat at a restaurant again. Oh, btw, we had medium raw shrimp we were needing to use up so we thought to try these with shrimp instead of chicken. I HIGHLY recommend it. Yum yum yum yum yum! I’ll be making these again with chicken, and I’m sure it will be just as good. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Elena says:

do you have to marinate the veggies for 2-3hours or just toss them with the dressing right before grilling?

Aubri says:

We had these tonight and everyone loved them. The marinade is so good. I love the comment about using shrimp…I’m gonna have to try that next! Thanks for another great recipe!

Alison Robison says:

Made these tonight. They were awesome!

Sherri says:

I searched your website for grilling recipes I could tweak and make vegetarian, and I found this recipe. I used your marinade on my vegetable and pineapple skewers, excluding mushrooms, and they were amazing (and filling, even without the chicken). Thanks for the recipe! We will definitely be using this one again!

Cathy says:

I love this recipe! How long can the dressing be kept in the fridge (or freezer)? Just wondering if I can double or triple it, and keep it handy for quick preparation in the future.

Becky says:

MMMMM!! My sis-in-law made these along with your hummus salad and potato salad. We were all in heaven. LOVE YOUR SITE AND COOKBOOK!

Ellie says:

We just got a new grill and I was thinking about shish kabobs all day. Sometime in the afternoon I thought “I bet Sara and Kate have a good recipe for a kabob marinade,” and I was right! Loved it!

[...] Grilled Chicken and Veggie Skewers [...]

[…] Italian Dressing and Marinade Recipe from Our Best Bites 1/4 c. white vinegar 1/4 c. lemon juice 2 tsp. sugar 1 tsp. dry mustard 1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. […]