This is literally one of the first recipes that we posted–in fact, it’s one of the recipes we posted on the blog before we even launched it. I think it’s gotten lost in the dusty, dark corners of Our Best Bites, so I’ve decided to resurrect it for a bit of a makeover!

So Samburgers. I’ll admit it’s pretty cheesy–I mean, I’m the girl who just can’t bring myself to order a Strawberry Cheesequake Blizzard at Dairy Queen. However, I’m married to a guy named Sam, so when I found a recipe for Samburgers, I had to suck it up and oblige.

This recipe is from Family Fun magazine. To be honest, I think most of their ideas are cool and most of the recipes look relatively edible, but I’ve never been particularly inspired to really make and eat most of their recipes. I’m a wee bit food snobby, I’ll admit it. But I found this recipe for hamburgers while we were on a cruise a few years ago and I actually stole (GASP!) the copy of Family Fun from our stateroom because the recipe sounded THAT good. And they are that good. If, after you try this recipe, you ever go back to popping frozen beef patties straight onto the grill for anything other than a large church/community/school function, I’ll hang my head in shame and say a prayer for you.
Samburgers
1 ¼ lb. ground beef (that extra quarter pound is absolutely essential; if you don’t have it, your burgers will fall apart when you try to cook them.)
3 Tbsp. A1 sauce
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
½ tsp. Kosher salt
¼ tsp. pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
¾ tsp. dry oregano
1 Tbsp. dehydrated onion

Combine ingredients. A word about ground beef–when I’m just cooking for us, I usually use 93% lean ground beef because, well, my thighs need all the help they can get. But if I’m cooking these for a crowd, I use 80% lean ground chuck for two reasons: 1) it’s cheaper and 2) it tastes better. Shhhhh. Don’t tell the diet police. Anyway, shape meat into patties. If you want big burgers (and who doesn’t??) a la Red Robin or Chili’s, shape into 4 patties. If you’re a burger pansy, shape the meat into 6 patties.

Grill for about 7 minutes on each side over medium (or until they’re as non-pink as you want them.)
While the burgers are cooking, you can get your fixins ready. Yes, I just said “fixins.” Me? Personally? I’m a purist. I like mayo (but I use light, in my defense…), ketchup, mustard, a leaf of Romaine or red leaf lettuce, a couple rings of red onion, a slice or two of tomato, and a few dill pickle slices if I have them. You can also (and I definitely think your should) toast your buns. I like to slice the buns open and spread them with a little butter and then you can either place them under the broiler in your oven or buttered-side-down on a hot skillet.
If you want cheese on your burger, place it on top of the burger while it’s still cooking (and has about 2-3 minutes left). When the burgers are done and the cheese is melty, place them on your toasted buns and then add whatever you want on top!
Oh, and if you’re curious, the buns I used in these pictures are the French Bread and Hoagie recipe shaped into hamburger buns.

Heidi says:

I made these tonight for my husband who is very picky about his hamburgers and they were a hit! Thanks

Sara says:

I made these the other night when my sister was here and they were super yummy! I was short on ground beef so I threw some ground turkey in there too and they turned out great- really flavorful.

Marie says:

Those burgers look plenty delish! I may give these a try!

Denise @ Life on Stepping Stone Lane says:

YUM!! I'm all about a good burger!

MommytoTommy says:

Holy moley, it is 3:11am and now I want a burger!!!

Mary Kelly says:

Is it weird that now I want to make hamburgers for breakfast? Yummy! Yummy! It is always so amazing to me that the simpliest recipes usually taste the best.

ooh, those pictures are drool-worthy. Kate, what do you spread on your buns? Is that thousand island?

Kate says:

Sara–it's just fry sauce, although you could definitely use Thousand Island with similar results! :)

Amanda says:

We have been making these all summer. The burger is really good, but the homemade hamburger buns make it. Thanks for the great recipe.

The Cooking Photographer says:

This looks wonderful. Homemade buns are something I have to try!

Risa says:

Okay I'm super hungry now!! I just want to eat my computer screen now.

OREGON SOUTHWORTHS says:

Oh my goodness… those pictures! It's only 10:45am here and a burger sounds sooo good now! We actually made these about a month ago and really liked them – just a bit too much A-1 flavor for us, but other than that the best homemade burgers we've had!

We had BBQ burgers for late lunch/early dinner (you know, after that 1pm church time slot!) yesterday but we just may have to have them again tonight or tomorrow!
    - Jennifer

Laura says:

Everyone loves a good burger. This one looks great!

Amanda says:

These look delicious, I can't wait to try them! So smart to put all those flavors into the meat!

Malesa says:

Yum. Yum. Yum. I wish someone would come cook these for me tonight. I'm feeling lazy, but they look oh, so delicious.

kim says:

mmmm. i love the flavor of that dehydrated onion flake.

Steph says:

They look great! And you can go ahead right now and just tell me I'm really weird…but I don't like "thick" burgers. I prefer them more squished :)

teeny says:

i have made these burgers many times and they are the best. always a favorite. way to go!!!

Pati says:

Mmmmmm, these look good! My hubby is a burger man, he could eat them almost everyday of the week but I don't usually make them more than once a week (if I can help it : )). I like the combo of flavors here and will have to try it.
    I also try to use the leanest burger meat I can find. I bought some not so lean stuff because of the great price, but regretted it later, when most of it melted away into grease, not leaving a whole lot of substance left! We usually only make 3 burgers (sometimes 4) out of a pound since they do shrink as they cook, 1 really big for dh, then 2 decent sized ones or 3 pretty small ones from the rest of it. We use big buns, the meat should fit the bun (or be a tad bigger)! This big, we usually only eat one each.

queenskitchen says:

Do you think I could sub worchestershire for the A1? Would it still have a similar taste?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

queenskitchen–I would probably just use ketchup, another steak sauce, or BBQ sauce as a substitute.

Hope that helps!

cashrink says:

First, I love your web site and just pre-ordered your book! Of all the cooking site I have tried over the years, I have been most successful with your recipes!

I mad the Samburgers tonight on the homemade buns. My 11 year old loved them and he usually does not like hamburgers at home. At one point he was enjoying it so much (moaning and sighing) that my husband said, "He's having a moment with the hamburger!"

Sheena says:

I just found your blog via make it and love it…this is the third recipe that ive made.these burgers were AMAZING!!!Made them for my family and we invited my hubby’s single friend over…the guys would not stop raving about how good they were! Thank you! I also just ordered your cookbook…cant wait to use it!!

Kristina says:

This is on the menu for tonight and we cannot wait to eat. These are my husband’s favorite burgers, maybe even favorite grill-meal. I thoroughly enjoy them as well, being a carnivore through-and-through!

Amy says:

I made these the other day. They were fabulous!

Tracey L says:

Made these burgers tonight for dinner…HUGE hit at my house!! Thank you!

Corene says:

Made these for our first burgers on the grill for the summer and they were a huge hit! I agree: no more plain patties. I doubled the recipes for the 6 of us and made 8 patties. Thanks!

Jenny says:

I’ve been making these for the last couple years and we love them. It’s our go-to burger recipe.