I love fresh green beans–they may just be my favorite of all summer garden treats. To me, they taste like the very end of summer with a little hint of fall and instantly bring back memories of snapping the ends off and eating insanely ridiculous amounts of pressure-cooked, garden-fresh beans with butter, salt, and pepper.

A little while back, one of our readers commented on the Caramelized Green Beans and said that her husband just didn’t think that bacon and green beans belong together. And I was shocked. Because while I’ve eaten (and thoroughly enjoyed) green beans that weren’t paired with bacon, I certainly like green beans better with bacon–I mean, really, what’s NOT better with bacon, right?
This recipe is no exception. This is another elegant-yet-easy side dish that’s easy to make ahead of time. It’s a great way to use up those green beans in your garden (or the ones you found on sale, as is the case for me! We all know about my less-than-stellar gardening skills…)
Green Bean Bundles
1 lb. green beans with the ends snapped off (buy or pick about 1 1/2 pounds so you’ll have 1 lb. after the beans’ ends have been snapped)
8 slices lean, regularly sliced bacon
3 Tbsp. real butter (no substitutions!)
1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. white sugar
1 Tbsp. minced red onion
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 tsp. Kosher salt

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.

If you’re using fresh green beans, wash and snap the ends off. Discard any sickly looking, overly skinny, limp, or yucky-looking beans. Super-scientific, right?

When the water is boiling, briefly boil (blanch) the beans for 2-3 minutes or until you start hearing a popping noise and the beans have turned bright green. Quickly drain and rinse in cold water until the beans have cooled.

If you’re planning on completing the beans immediately, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

On a cookie sheet, divide the green beans evenly into 8 piles.

Carefully bundle each pile of beans with one slice of bacon and return to the baking sheet.

This step can be done up to a day ahead of time.When the oven is ready, place the pan in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the bacon is crisp and sizzling. While the bundles are in the oven, melt the butter over medium-high heat in a small saucepan. When the butter is bubbly, add in the onions and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are softened and fragrant. Reduce heat to low and add in vinegar, sugar, and salt. Remove from heat and set aside.

When ready to serve, place bean bundles on a serving platter

and drizzle with sauce. Serve immediately.

Seriously, guys, my mouth is watering just thinking about that sweet and sour garlicky butter sauce…

These are perfectly paired with most meats particularly Asian- or American steakhouse-style meals.

rach says:

My green beans are just starting to grow so in a week or two these are on the menu. And as my Bro. in law would say," everything tastes better with bacon."

The Amoah-Boadi Family says:

looks sooo yummy!

betchacanteatjustone says:

oooh wrap it in bacon and I'm sold! :) Looks delicious!

Kathy says:

WOW We made these and I could have eaten the whole batch myself! So yummy!

Jennie Kunz says:

Great recipe! Thanks!

fittingbackin says:

ooh those look good!

Amy Glisan says:

Looks great!

Wehrle says:

mmmmmm…. Those look so yummy!! I may have to make them when my in-laws come to town tomorrow!!

Jessica says:

While I am normally not a bacon lover, pregnancy seems to have changed that aspect of my pallet. So yeah, these look divine!

Steph says:

Those look so yummy!
    One of our go-to sides growing up was green beans with crumbled bacon and almond slivers.

OREGON SOUTHWORTHS says:

I never knew just how good fresh green beans could be until I had them with bacon. And almond slivers give them a nice crunch. Anyway, this looks super fancy – great for when you have guests over for dinner.

Dean and Amber says:

That looks great…my kids love green beans so it's always nice to have a new way of cooking them. I think it looks yummy paired with the bacon and the sauce sounds wonderful.

stephchows says:

That's one way to get your kids to eat their veggies! mmmm bacon :)

Ashley says:

I cannot wait to try these! Yummy!

Tiff says:

Those look so cute. I'm going to have to try this instead of just throwing the bacon in with the green beans. Thanks for the idea!

Mary Kelly says:

Love the individual serving sizes. So cute and sounds so tasty.

Kate W. says:

OMG. I'm buying beans at the store tonight and making these. Delish!

Bobbi says:

That looks so yummy!!

Donya says:

Those look sinfully delicious. See, now I'm gonna HAVE to try them, especially considering our beans are going crazy.

Gaby says:

WOW – this looks phenomenal!! love your site!

Julie says:

Yum, maybe even my husband will eat green beans if I wrap them in bacon. Everything tastes better with bacon.

Linda says:

Everything is good with bacon!
    These look adorable!!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction says:

These sound delicious! I bet these would be delicious wrapped in prosciutto, too!

kim says:

I loved the other green bean recipe you posted and my husband who doesn't eat green beans ate it, so I am definetly going to have to give this a try!

Heidi says:

I bet my husband would love these. Do you think you could do them with frozen beans?

Kate says:

Heidi, as long as the frozen beans are on the long side, you could totally do it! :) Just boil them for a minute or two longer.

*sunchips* says:

This has got to be the best way to eat your veggies!

Jaimie says:

I was just going to make garlic green beans for Thanksgiving, but I ran across this and I have everything so I am making them instead! : ) I am so excited for that sauce! MMMM

wendy m says:

Definitely making these for Father's Day! Thanks for the inspiration!

Paul & Carla says:

I just made these for a Sunday dinner for guests and… they are fabulous! To be quite frank, I was a tad unsure about the sauce with vinegar in it but since I happened to have some rice vinegar in my cabinet decided to make it exactly like you said. Oh my. Oh MY. When I caught a whiff of the fragrance of the sauce I knew it was going to be phenomenal. I loved it, my guests loved it and I am delighted to have two servings left for my husband and me tomorrow. This is a great recipe! Thank you!

Mary says:

Just made these tonight for my mother-in-laws family birthday dinner. We had salmon, watermelon-herb-feta salad (VERY deLIsH!!) and these beans. The beans were fantastic. The flavor of the drizzle is wonderful. We cooked them for what seemed like nearly a half hour and finally pulled them out because although the bacon still didn't seem cooked, the beans were starting to dry out. We just peeled the bacon off and enjoyed the wonderful flavor of the beans. They looked beautiful to serve too.

Meg says:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I just found this. I Love bacon. I love green beans. I may do this also with some of the skinnier pieces of asparagus I have around here. mmmmmm. BACON!

Homemaker Honey says:

Thank you for sharing this recipe! I'm serving it for Thanksgiving.

Jill says:

I made this for Christmas dinner – it was a *huge* hit, almost eclipsed the presents! For some strange cosmic twist, the green beans act as a bacon accelerator and send the bacon-y flavor into the strastosphere. A.maz.ing. From my whole family, thank you, bacon goddesses.

Miranda says:

Made these for the second time tonight and they were super tasty.The sauce is sooo good!! I LOVE you ladies. I don't comment often but I am so grateful all the time you put into this website. You make cooking so much fun! Everytime I make one of your recipes I get tons of compliments and almost always a request for the recipe.I always direct people to your website I love sharing my secret weapon :)There are few things more satisfying that than someone raving about the food you've created for them. Thanks for all the tips and tricks that help me make these delicious recipes to successfully! Every recipe I've tried has been wonderful, and I've tried quite a few of them. You rock!!

Just an FYI if anyone reads through these comments for tips like I always do. :)
    Both times I've made these they took longer than 15min more like 20+. Although it seems like the leaner the bacon the quicker they cook. Mine ended a bit on the over cooked side (I ended up duped by the packaging on some lower qulaity bacon). Next time I'll be more careful to spend a few more bucks on the bacon and not blanch the beans as long.

Rebecca says:

Making these to go along with Easter dinner, I’ve had this recipe bookmarked for ages and I’m finally getting around to making it! Thanks again!

Lisa says:

My husband rarely goes back for seconds on anything I make :), but he definitely did on these! I just discovered your site this week, and this is the second recipe I’ve made from it. The first also brought him back for seconds!

Andrea says:

I found these in your cookbook (when’s the next one coming out?!) and tried them first with asparagus spears and lean turkey bacon, which is what I had on hand. Turned out so yummy! Thanks for all the inspiration. I look forward to reading your blog and browsing your website often.

Jessica says:

Just made these for friends last night, and can I just say they seriously stole the show! They were delicious and everyone wanted the recipe. I love that they are so easy, elegant, tasty, unique, and can be done ahead of time!

Think I may try this out with asparagus! This looks so good!

Stephanie says:

These look so good. I guess my Thanksgiving menu just changed. Thanks for the idea.

Kate DePriest says:

Wonder if you could cook the bacon a little in the microwave before wrapping it around the green bean bundles… then it might cook up a little crispier, and the beans wouldn’t dry out?
    I am making these for Thanksgiving dinner this year… hoping to “wow” my father-in-law who is the worlds pickiest eater. =)

Suzanne says:

I made this with asparagus tonight (along side Cheddar Broccoli soup with potatoes and corn bread…it was an OBB night.) Anyway they were really yummy, so if anyone does it, I just wouldn’t cook the asparagus at all before baking with the bacon.

Brandi says:

If you are in a hurry, I use canned whole green beans. Wrap them in bacon, put some butter in the dish and sprinkle brown sugar over them… bake them until the bacon is done…

Julie Avery says:

Oh my word!!! We made this with dinner tonight along side your Lemon-Herb Zucchini Fettuccine (yes…not a typical pairing…) and it was amazing!!! I’m cooking my way through your fabulous cookbook and love love love it!

Courtney Haueter says:

:) Julie- what a good idea to cook through their cookbook. I’ll have to try that too!

kellie says:

I can’t wait to try this recipe. I am a green bean junkie :) Looks awesome, thanks for sharing :)

Babs Ryan says:

These are incredibly good! For years, green beans have been my “go-to” vegetable since everyone in the family likes them(I’ve never found anyone who DIDN’T like green beans!) Over the years, I’ve tried to change up ways to serve them……Love putting bacon IN the beans, but never thought about wrapping on the outside. Ingenious! And the garlicy butter is the perfect topping. This recipe will definitely be used again, for sure. THANKS!

[...] casserole so I won’t post a recipe for that at all. But, these bacon wrapped green beans from Our Best bites look [...]

Meegan says:

Thanks for posting this recipe. I made it for the first time today for our Thanksgiving Meal, and it turned out awesome. And so much easier that I had thought it would be. It was a hit, and will be added to our vegetable rotation on a regular basis now!

[...]  Bacon Wrapped Green Bean Bundles {Easter Menu} ~ If you are looking for a new side to spice up your traditional Easter dinner, check out these [...]

[…] Click here for the link to Our Best Bites recipe. […]

[…] flavorful sauce, these green bundles are sure to please the green bean lover in you.Adapted from OurBestBites.comIngredients3/4 lb green beans, rinsed and ends snapped off5 strips of bacon3 Tablespoons real […]

[…] Bacon-wrapped Green Beans 2. World’s Best Dinner Rolls 3. Sweet Potato Casserole Boats 4. 10 Kid-Friendly Thanksgiving […]

Lynette says:

Will you please clarify what steps can be done in advance? I want to make these for Thanksgiving and prefer to cook as much as I can the day before. Thanks!

Samber says:

Can you substitute the rice vinegar?? Looks YUMMY!