Ladies and gentlemen. Boys and girls. I’d like to introduce you to my new favorite potato side dish. Seriously, guys, I have made this twice in the last 2 days because they are so amazing and SO easy. I even recommended this to my sister who is not only semi-clueless in the kitchen (I can say that because I know for a fact she doesn’t read this blog…let’s just hope other family members don’t rat me out here!), but she’s also friends with non-gushy people who apparently gushed over these potatoes.

I’ve always loved the look of fingerling potatoes (named such because they really do look like little fingers. Which you may find either really cool or really creepy),

This recipe is elegant, super quick and easy, and it uses up that pesky rosemary you have growing in your herb garden. Don’t be scared of the sheer amount of garlic and mustard; when you roast the potatoes, it will dramatically mellow the flavors, particularly the mustard–in fact, I seriously doubt you’d recognize the flavor as mustard.

Garlic-Rosemary Roasted Baby Potatoes
1 1/2 lb. fingerling or baby potatoes, washed; try and pick the potatoes that are as bite-sized as possible
2 1/2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 1/2 Tbsp. coarse-grain or Dijon mustard
2 1/2 Tbsp. chopped fresh Rosemary (be sure and strip the needles from the stem before chopping them)
About 5 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
Coarsely-ground black pepper
Kosher salt

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. While the water is heating, combine olive oil, minced garlic, rosemary, mustard, and some black pepper.

Set aside. When the water is boiling, add the potatoes and boil for about 10 minutes or until they are easily pierced with a fork. Drain, return the potatoes to the pan, and then toss with the mustard mixture.

Now…this is where the beauty of this recipe comes in. You can either do all of this ahead of time and then refrigerate the potatoes until you’re ready to finish them off or you can do it all at once. Either way, you’re not going to spend more than 30 minutes tops making these beauties and they’re so elegant that you could seriously serve them at the fanciest dinner party. So…if you’re making these right now, preheat your oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. If you’re saving them (for up to 6 hours), line the baking sheet and spread the potatoes out evenly and then cover them with plastic wrap and refrigerate them until you’re ready to bake them.

When you’re ready to bake these guys and the oven is hot, sprinkle with Kosher salt. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the skins are browning and sizzling. For fancy presentation, place the roasted potatoes on a platter, scrape those delicious bits off the foil, sprinkle them over the potatoes, and then garnish with a few sprigs of rosemary

Katy says:

Those look delicious! And lol about the pesky rosemary…I planted some but still haven't used it for anything! Now I have a reason to though!! :) Thanks for the recipe!

Steph says:

Looks wonderful! And I think I'm in the "creepy" camp. On of those pudgy fingers is pointing right at me!

Do you really think Rosemary is pesky?? It's my faaaaavorite herb. I have 4 plants because I use it so much! I'll definitely make these- they sound awesome!

Laura says:

I love cooking with fingerling potatoes, if I can find them around here that is. These look wonderful!

Melodee says:

Oh for Pete's sake, (who is Pete anyway?!), how can one woman keep up with you and all these amazing recipes?! LOL LOL I'll add this to the list of things to whip out today along with the Taco Chicken, White Chicken Chili. Made the Puffed French Toast w/Buttermilk Syrup this morning for some of the missionaries. They are now happily in sugar induced commas, and I'm concerned there will be no work done today at the Mission Office:) I'm blaming it on you:) I LOVE rosemary and cook with it as much as possible in hopes that my triplets will grow to love it as much as mom. YOU ARE THE BEST!!!

Kate says:

Nah, I don't think it's pesky; only when I have way too much of it and I don't know what to do with it!!

Ingrid says:

Lemme just tell you I could eat a plate full of those babies as my whole meal. They look delish!
    ~ingrid

olivia's mommy says:

oOoo i looove rosemary too!! probably my all time favorite herb! However my rosemary did NOT grow this year.. so i'm stuck with dried? do you think this would still work well with dried rosemary?
    thanks bunches!

Ellen says:

Where the heck do you get the fingerling potatoes???

Nancy Few says:

Walmart has them. There has to be a Walmart pretty close to just about anyone. If not, any high-end grocer should have them. I love fingerling potatoes with a standing rib roast, eye of round, sirloin or sirloin tip roast where the roast is on a rack and the potatoes are on the bottom of the pan, soaking up the savory drippings. Yum!

Kate says:

Ellen–I got mine at Kroger. I looked for some yesterday at Walmart, but there wasn't even anything close. Really, any very small potato will work perfectly!

teeny says:

trying these tomorrow for dinner. i went to get the finger potatos but do you think i could find them? nooooooooooo… so i got red potatos. i'll let you know how they work. love ya!

teeny says:

made the potatos last night and they were a big success! thank you! while they were cooking the smell itself was delicious!

AbbaZabba82 says:

These potatoes were SO yummy!! I love 'em!

KimChiBuns says:

I made this the other day and I couldn't help myself from eating half of the potatoes before my husband got home for dinner!

Glittery Goodness says:

Just made these for the family, they were a hit! Even the picky 9 year-old ate them up!

Steph says:

These are seriously one of my very most favorite side dishes! I'm embarrassed that I haven't commented about them before. I make them ALL THE TIME! I usually just chop up red potatoes. And I even skip the boiling. I'm sure it's a good idea, but I don't know if anything could make these any better than they already are. Because I don't boil them, I do end up cooking them significantly longer. But they are divine!

I definitely prefer fresh rosemary in this recipe, but I have made it with dried and it's still yummy, just a little more prickly. :)

Emily {Frilly Details} says:

I'm getting ready to make these for dinner tonight. I can't wait to eat them :)

Teresa says:

I made this tonight along with the Rotisserie Chicken. Have to say I couldn't stop eating theses potatoes!

Dalya says:

Seriously this recipe is amazing. I have made this several times now. Thank you!

Julie says:

LOVE these! My kids do, too. Another winner. Thanks!

Kristi says:

These look so tasty! Making them tonight! :)

Kristi says:

Love ‘em! Making them again this evening!

Erin says:

I made these tonight…SO good! My husband and I have loved every one of the recipes I’ve made from your blog. Thank you!

So delicious! And what was so great; I had all of the indgredients in my pantry! I will be making these again and again :)

Lily says:

Would this recipe work with regular potatoes cut up to bite size?

Emily Maxwell says:

Made these tonight w/ fingerling potatoes, and they were delicious. In the words of my 5 yo, as they were roasting, “Momma, what smells so good? It’s making me want to have a taste of it!”. She was not disappointed. Thanks for another great recipe!

Kelli says:

I made these tonight…they were awesome! The baked on bits on the pan were so good! I will definately make these again!!!

Stephanie says:

Quick question: about how many people do you think this will serve? I was looking for another side dish to bring to our family thanksgiving and I think this is the one. :) Thanks again for another awesome recipe!

Marty says:

@Stephanie, I’ve made a version of these potatoes on the gril. Usually, depending on their size, one can handle about 3 potatoes (but they’re so good that you CAN NOT stop eating them.) I would guestimate (based on the amount on the cookie sheet) these would serve about 8-10 people. I hope this helps you estimate the amount when you buy them.

janet says:

30 yrs ago we made these with small canned potatoes. Yummy

Elizabeth dae says:

my aunt makes these and they taste amazing, i need to make some for myself soon

Col says:

Would the garlic and herb mixture burn if these were roasted longer, I wonder? All other recipes for these little roasted potatoes have the oven time closer to 40 minutes, to get a crispy skin and creamy center.

[...] Pork Tenderloin Garlic-Rosemary Roasted Baby Potatoes World’s Best Dinner Rolls Strawberry Spinach Salad Molten Lava Cakes Chocolate Covered Cinnamon [...]

Kelly says:

This sounds great and I want to try it for Christmas! How many servings is this recipe for? I’m only cooking for 15.