Let me share a little secret with you. I’ve never really liked stuffed zucchini. I think it’s because every time I’ve eaten it, it’s been baked in the oven and the zucchini has that mushy, slimy texture and it’s filled with spaghetti sauce. But I like the idea of stuffed zucchini- so I thought I’d come up with one that was more my style. To the grill it is! You can do this on an indoor grill pan as well. You’ll want zucchini that aren’t huge, but just a little bit bigger than normal. About 10 inches or so. If you have really big ones, just add more diced zucchini flesh to the recipe to increase the filling, or double the filling all together. You can also substitute more zucchini flesh in place of the sausage for a vegetarian version.

Other Garden Week Features:
Bacon-Wrapped Green Bean Bundles
Garden Fresh Salsa

Lori says:

I've had stuffed zucchini before, but have never seen a grilled version! This is great. I like the use of the turkey sausage instead of beef or ground turkey as well. I'm sure it adds lots of extra flavor.

Amanda says:

Those look really good! I agree, the only 2 ways to eat zucchini are raw or on the grill I usually just slice then lengthwise into 3-4 pieces, then brush both sides with olive oil and then seasoning with salt and pepper. Grill both sides and they are fabulous. I will have to try this recipe, looks so good!

NikiTheo says:

I love zucchini, but I've never had ti stuffed w/ more yumminess! I love love love grilled zucchini, it's one of my favs to toss on the grill in the summer time. I'll definitely have to add this to my zucchini love!!!

Abby says:

this looks good- I've never had stuffed zuchs before!

Barbara Bakes says:

I'm bookmarking this – it sounds great!

Allison says:

YES! I have loads of zucchini and have been looking all over for some good recipes. The hubby is sick of just plain grilled zucchini, so this should mix things up very nicely.

Britanie says:

You constantly amaze, this looks terrific and we'll be trying it out soon!

rach says:

Hahaha, Go figure. I made stuffed zucchini last night. I came on yesterday looking for a recipe but didn't find one. Im making yours next time. It looks better, plus I never would have thought about grilling it. Smart, then I wouldn't have heated up the house. I still have some zucchini so I will definitely make it again.

Gaby says:

this is one of my favorites dishes in the world – and your looks AMAZING!

Brandy and Andy says:

I am not to crazy about Italaian sausage, but it sounds really good. I am going to try it with ground turkey.

Taylor says:

wow…those look delicious AND healthy! something i will definately be trying! :o) thanks ladies!!

The Wifey says:

Looks delish! I love zucchini!

veggievixen says:

those are so pretty! i feel like i should do as much with zucchini as i can before it isn't at the farmer's market anymore. stuffed veggies here i come.

OREGON SOUTHWORTHS says:

I've been waiting for this one! I just happen to have some zucchinis that are just the right size… one of which I have to save for my garden veggie spaghetti (fairly similar to your lemon-herb zucchini fettuccine) that I plan on making this weekend. This would make a great appetizer!

Crystal says:

Oh my gosh! These look awesome. Great pictures and wonderful color. Can't wait to try this recipe.

Coniqua says:

I love stuffed zucchini, its a good way to serve a veggie that everyone wants to eat. I have to try grilling them your pics look great.

Chef E says:

These are really beautiful! I might have to try this with the little ones that I see for appetizers, Thanks!

Holly DeVore says:

I've never thought of stuffing zucchini…sounds great!

Amber says:

Yum! This is going to be in the "must try" file! Thanks for posting!

bittersweetblog says:

I LOVE the sound of this dish! Perfect for summer's bounty, and a great excuse to get out of the kitchen and fire up the grill. I bet it would work beautifully with a topping of vegan feta, too. I must try this!

Ashley says:

I am going to the store. i want these tonight!

Dean and Amber says:

Sounds wonderful as usual. Love the grill idea.

Steph says:

We *have* to get to the farmers market this weekend!

D.I.M. Incorporated says:

Yum! This looks sooo good!

Hannah says:

This looks so good…I've still got zucchini coming out of my ears!

Heidi says:

I've never heard of stuffed zucchini, but I can't wait to try this.

kim says:

These look great! I will definitely be making these as soon as we get more zucchini in the garden! Thanks for the idea

Courtney says:

I made these for dinner tonight, and they were FANTASTIC. The flavor just blew my mind! This recipe is a definite keeper, thanks!

Andrea says:

My family loved these! Thanks for a fantastic recipe that keeps the kitchen cool.

Karli says:

I've had this starred for a couple weeks, ready and waiting. And now I'm in tears because I waited so long. OH. MY. GOSH. This is going on my list of top 10 recipes! My husband and I thought we were eating Supreme Pizza with a slightly zucchini flavored crust. And yet… healthier and not greasy. And my kids (ages 4 and 1) gobbled it up (though that might have been because I told them they got to eat "boats" for dinner). :) Thank you! Of course, I threw the health factor out the window when I made the Rosemary Bread and the four of us proceeded to eat both loaves in one sitting…. ah, well.

Kristy says:

I love recipes that are good and sooo easy, and this was delicious! Thanks!

Renee says:

This was the best stuffed zuchini I ever had, I tweaked recipe based on what I had which was Lebanese zucchini (we planted the wrong kind and I haven't known what to do with it, they are basically much fatter) so I doubled the filling to fill them, also since Lebanese zucchini are meant for stuffing there is no usable zuke to add to mixture so I upped onions & tomatoes, also had apple & onion sausage (not turkey) and instead of basil I used ground all spice (~ 1 tsp) since that is traditional to Lebanese zucchini. Steps were perfect, time was perfect and it came out amazing. Will make this again soon.

jnj777 says:

This is the BEST stuffed zucchini ever! My husband even loved it which is saying something.
    However I did use regular breakfast sausage instead of italian because we really don't care for italian sasuage. I put some thyme and sage in my sasuage while it was browning too.

April Hall says:

Oh My!!!! I made this as a main dish and my family loved them, this will be a yummy addition to our dinner selection!!!

Traci says:

This looks amazing! I can’t wait to make it for my Mom’s Bday! But where did your “printer friendly” button go??

Amanda says:

Oh man, I have been drooling over these since I got the cookbook for mother’s day. But everytime I go to the grocery store, all they have are these little baby zucchini the size of a pickle. And I have tried several different stores, but no good size ones yet, so anxious to make em, they look amazing!!!

Rachel says:

This was SO TASTY! We got a HUGE (like over a foot and a half huge) zucchini from family this weekend & we turned half of it into a stuffed zucchini and the other half grilled on foil with onion – super filling and way more than the 2 of us could eat. THANKS & YUM

Joyce says:

This sounds lovely! Just uncovered 2 huge zucchini hiding in my garden; perfect for tonight’s dinner. Thanks.

Suzie Paul says:

Made this tonight & we LOVED it! My husband asked what it was called & I told him, he said we should call it Zucchini Gondola!

Emily S says:

Delicious! I discovered my grill had no propane, so I had to use my little countertop electric grill. To solve the “no lid” problem, I took the bottom of a broiling pan and put it on top. Worked perfectly. I was also naughty and used pork Italian sausage instead of turkey – can’t say I have regrets. :)

Lalani says:

These are DIVINE! I absolutely loved them.

Robenso says:

These were so delicious! It was like eating pizza without the heavy bread. I noticed someone commented that she was waiting for larger zucchini… I just used 4 5-6 inch zucchini, and they turned out great!

This was our main dish tonight….. VERY satisfied people at the dinner table :-) thanks for the recipe!!!

Courtney says:

We made these a couple nights ago! They were sooo good! I used an italian pork sausage and it was so flavorful! Will definitely make these a regular during the summertime when we have plenty of zucchini!

Anne says:

Delicious! Even my picky 6 year old ate them and he claims to hate zucchini.

Vegge says:

Replace the sausage with some lentils cooked in veggie stock and a bay leaf, then just saute some onion and garlic to put into the mixture. You can really create any flavor you want using different herbs, cheeses and stuff: herbs de province, curry, southwest, etc. Awesome!

Lisa says:

I made this the other night & they were so good! My 15 yr old ate 2 halves! The younger kids didn’t even want to try them, so they had something else. I figured ‘hey, more for us’! Yummy recipe. Thanks!

Courtney Brady says:

I have made stuffed zucchini before and have always been dissapointed. It never turns out the way I imagine. But my garden is being plentiful right now and I needed to do something with it. I ran across this recipe and decided to try stuffed zucchini once more. And I’m so glad I did. This recipe is awesome! I think grilling made all the difference. Thanks so much!!

mary says:

This was absolutely fantastic. I had gigantic zucchinis and it worked well. They just needed a little more time. I plan to make this a lot.

[...] Grilled Sausage-Stuffed Zucchini Author: Our Best Bites Recipe type: Main Course or Side Dish Cuisine: Italian Serves: 2-4 [...]

Melenie says:

Making this for the second time and got too confident… I out 1 1/2 T of the dried Basil, not 1 teaspoon like the recipe states. Looks like we’re going spicy tonight!

[…] think I will make some grilled zucchini boats this week, using the zucchini, tomato and basil from their […]

Stacy says:

This=amazing. Period.

Analise says:

SOOO YUMMY! We used a more meat than it called for but we had much larger zucchinis also. Next time I want to try and add a bit more veggies like mushrooms maybe cauliflower. We had zucchinis that had been laying around for weeks because I was so done with squash season and this recipe was a great way to use them up!