Posted in Cookies, Kate

So something horrible has happened (besides, you know, me eating an obscene number of cookies). I lost, like, half the pictures I took whilst making these cookies. So forget about ingredients…lots of shots of luscious cookie dough…we’re getting straight down to business here!

I know we post a lot of things that are fun to look at, but they’re not always super practical. I mean, I’m pretty sure most people don’t feel the same way about their ice cream makers that Sara and I do. Today, I wanted to post something simple like back-to-basics cookies, but with a little flair that makes them extra-delicious. I believe this recipe was originally from a Hershey’s cookbook, but I tweaked a few things to make them extra-special. Their texture is perfect–a little crispy on the outside, chewy and soft in the middle. They remind me of how my chocolate chip cookies were in Utah, which is a good thing because try as I might, I just can’t get ‘em right in Louisiana.
Not only are these cookies perfect for a weekend treat, staying soft for a couple of days (like they’ll last that long!), but they are amazing as the base for pizzookies. Excited? Ready? Yeah, I thought so… :)
Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter
1/4 c. Smart Balance margarine (or similarly high-quality margarine)
3/4 c. white sugar
3/4 c. packed DARK brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 c. Heath bits
3/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips*
1/4 c. white chocolate chips*
*You can use 1 c. chocolate chips instead of splitting it up between the semi-sweet and white chocolate chips, but the white chocolate chips make these cookies extra-special.
Preheat oven to 375. In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
Combine brown sugar, white sugar, butter, margarine, and vanilla in a large bowl until well-blended. Add in eggs and beat well. Slowly add in flour mixture and mix until combined. Add in chocolate and white chocolate chips and then mix the toffee bits until they’re just combined. Drop dough (I use a cookie scoop) onto the cookie sheets

and bake 8-10 minutes (10 is perfect in my oven, but each one is different) until the cookies are lightly brown. Allow to cool on cookie sheets for about 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely. The cooling rack is very important in this recipe because the toffee will make the cookies stick to the pan if you’re not careful.

And then try and only eat one.

Seriously. I don’t think it’s possible. And I wonder why the diet’s not working…

Leigh Anne Wilkes says:

Three of my favorite things – chocolate, white chocolate and toffee. Guess what I'm making today – yum!!! Have you ever made them with butter. I have an aversion to margarine but know that sometimes you just have to use it??

Kate says:

Leigh Ann–Most of the fat is from butter, but I use just a little bit of Smart Balance (that's the ONLY margarine I ever use) to help with the texture/softness. I've found when I use all butter, they're a little too crispity crunchity for my taste; I like them to be a little soft and chewy in the middle.

Britanie says:

If I added almonds this would be close to my favorite candy bar, is there room in these for some chopped nuts? I can't wait to try these, thanks Kate!

rach says:

My husbands going to love these.

This might just be the answer to my life-long toffee cookie problem. I have yet to make ANY cookie with toffee bits in it that didn't totally flatten out and turn crispy and melty. Know what I mean? Must be your darn margarine trick- I must put it to the test because those look wonderful!

OREGON SOUTHWORTHS says:

So I don't usually have toffee bits or white chocolate chips on hand, but I just might have to pick some up at the store… oh, and some of that Smart Balance stuff. :)
    These look great – thanks for a "back-to-basics" recipe. This non-ice-cream-maker-owner thanks you!
    -Jennifer

Lindsay says:

Will definitely be making these this weekend since I'm with my chocolate-chip-cookie-loving, no, worshiping, family. Sounds like a special version of my all-time fav choco chip recipe, Kate's. (Although Sara's a VERY close second–I made those last night, actually.)

becca says:

Mmm I love toffee in cookies! These sound (and look!) so good!

Bargain Loving Mom says:

I just used half a bag of heath chips in some fudge & wondering what to do with the rest of the bag! I think I'll make these for my son's first day of school! Thanks!!

CaSaundraLeigh says:

Yum! Toffee and chocolate is a no-fail combo in my book. These sound great, thanks!

Lacey says:

So you live in louisiana? I was born and rasied in Baton Rouge. My husband and I now live in Arizona but my family is all in La. Would love to know what part of La. you are in….just for fun!

Bunny says:

The look terrific!! I see margarine in the ingredients, I'm curious…does this help make them soft and chewy???

joyinhim says:

Just made these are they are wonderful! It is so humid here that I had to add a little extra flour, but it didn't change the taste. Some will go with my daughter to college and with my to school tomorrow.

Thanks!

Not gonna lie, I had *really* low expectations for these cookies considering my previous experiences with toffee (see previous comment) combined with the fact that I was out of white chocolate (so I used chunks of almond bark) and out of eggs (so I used powdered!) And what do ya know- they turned out fantastic! A new fave- thanks kate!

Brooke and Jake says:

I made these cookies this weekend while visiting my in-laws and lets just say that after they cooled … they were all gone within the hour. You can't just have one … seriously YUMMY!!

Ron & Sonya says:

In my line of business ( hearing) the majority of our patients are over 70. Most of them don't get "treats" anymore, so I like to bake cookies, breads, brownies, you name it, to bring to work to let them try it. I made these yesterday, Sunday, to bring to work today, Monday. We've only been open a few hours but already they are a big hit! I worried about the toffee sticking to their teeth but it hasn't been a problem. Thanks, I'm sure our patients thank you too!

Ron & Sonya says:

Tara Hicks says:

Amazing! I can't wait to make these beauties. And can I just say that I love this blog. It is one of my favorites.

A & W says:

haha this post made me laugh, I too binge on baked goods and then wonder why the diet is failing! I am definitely bookmarking these they look like my childhood favorite cookies from a bakery close to home. Thanks for the great recipe!
    -Whitney

A & W says:

-Whitney

Maria says:

Cookies with toffee, pure bliss!

Mindy says:

Mmm… looks so good!

Carol says:

My friend Bobbi has been telling me to use part butter, part margarine in cookies and I have yet to try it…..but I sure will be soon when I make these. She said the combo of the 2 makes a great cookie and by the looks of these-that's sure true!
    I can't wait to try these…….

Darci says:

These are fabulous! I made them tonight and got rave reviews. For some reason I needed to add more flour. The white chocolate chips with the toffee is just perfect!

Julie says:

New reader…found your blog through my friend, eightcrazy and her parties blog. You are my new favorite food blog!!! Tried several things and they are all AMAZING. second time making these cookies. they are to die for! I add more white chocolate chips because I love that flavor in there. Thanks a bunch…my entertaining menu is filling up!

Donya says:

I made these tonight when my in-laws were over and my father-in-law ate 12 of them, and my mother-in law, who usually refuses sweets, ate 4. The I can my FIL trying to take a couple more before he went out the door, so I gave him another six in a baggie to take home. They are indeed yummy, so thanks for another great recipe!

Coniqua says:

These look so good I love chocolate chip and toffee cookies, I think I'll have to feature these in my upcoming blog post.

Kat says:

I want desperately to make this recipe work for me because they sound and look divine! But I've tried it 3 times and it hasn't worked. All 3 times they come out really thin and spread out. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Kat–My guess is it's either a pan issue or an elevation issue. What kinds of pans are you using? Are you at a high elevation?

Kat says:

I used the air bake cookie sheets. We are not high elevation, we are down low in the hot desert. But I wonder if that could be the problem, because it was pretty warm and the dough was pretty soft.

thscrappinmama says:

I can't tell you how many yummy and inspiring recipes I plan to make this Christmas. I just love your blog, so many wonderful tasty treats. Have you ever tried to make gluten free baking? I have not had much success that for my daughter but trying to make some gluten free recipes will open up a whole new market for you! Just a thought and thanks.

These cookies are great. I live at 8k feet in Colorado so I of course had to make some adjustments. I increased the flour to 2.5 cups and decreased the sugars to 2/3 cup each. I also added a touch of water when I added the flour. I also used a cup of butter since fat is good for high altitude cooking.
    My family loved them and were sad when I told them I was planning to take them to an event.

Kat says:

I am so happy to say that I finally got it! I switched margarine ( I originally used a butter margarine blend that still tasted good but the texture was off) and they turned out oh so good. So worth the calories.

Kacie says:

These are AWESOME cookies! I LOVE toffee!! I've made them probably 7 times. I love giving them as gifts. It makes 3 dozen if my kids and I don't eat too much batter and use a cookie scoop (love that thing!). My first batch is always a little softer and the last batch is a little crispier (oven issues??). I really like them both ways so it's fine with me. It gives me a variety. LOVE LOVE your blog. THANKS!!!

Laura says:

I made these tonight but didn't have margarine and used all butter. Even though they were DIVINE (I ate 9 and tons of dough), they were a little flat and hard for my taste. I also had a ton of trouble with them sticking, so I will be sure to use parchment paper next time.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Laura–I guarantee that they were flat and hard because of the butter. :) The margarine should help with that (and the sticking) next time.

Christine says:

How many cookies does this recipe yield? I'm thinking about using this recipe for my cookie exchange this year. It sounds delicious and just the perfect bit of different for a cookie exchange!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Christine–This yields about 48. :)

Megan Bone says:

Bummer, I'm not sure what I did wrong…mine ran all over the place.

Megan, that happens sometimes with toffee. I don't know why, but when I try to put toffee in any other cookies they always flatten out. These are the only ones that actually work for me! So who knows…it might work the next time you try. Toffee is weird like that!

These are AMAZING! I'm making them for the second time right now.

I must add though, that Smart Balance is by all accounts, crappy margarine. It contains artificial ingredients and EDTA. My son has a dairy allergy, and Organic Earth Balance is by far, the best margarine out there. It's the holy grail of vegan baking. (It also comes in stick form for baking, as well as in a soy-free version as well.) I actually used all Earth Balance and zero butter when I made these the first time so that my 3 year old could have some. (Dairy allergy.)

I challenge you, OBB, to switch to Earth Balance and see what a tremendous difference it makes compared to Smart Balance!

Michelle says:

I have made these cookies several times in a convection oven and they have been voted our favorite cookie in the office. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

I just made these tonight into pizookies and oh. my. heavens. They were delicious! Lets not talk about the calorie content in these puppies, but they really were heavenly! A huge hit with my family and our dinner guests!

Rachel says:

Do you think I could use butter shortening instead of margarine? I really want to make these, but I don’t want to get out of my PJs :) It’s that kinda day.

Cathy says:

Is that the Heath bits with or without chocolate? Thanks!

Cathy says:

Sorry for another question, but do you soften the butter and margarine?