Posted in Kate, Oven Baked, Poultry

A few days ago, I overheard a gaggle of my favorite teenage girls discussing the foods their moms made best, the things that reminded them of home and family. Now granted, I’m in the South, but invariably, the favorites were macaroni and cheese, chicken and dumplings, and chicken pot pie. Sara and I have discussed macaroni and cheese at great length because neither of us have found THE ONE, and I do have a chicken and dumplings recipe that I love. Which means…drum roll please…chicken pot pie is up today!

Two years ago, our family kind of found our world turned upside-down. It was an unbelievably stressful, scary, unexpected, fish-out-of-water experience. You know, one of those times when you have really fabulous plans and then those plans totally change without your permission? Yeah, it was one of those. On top of everything else, I had a brand-new baby, meaning I wasn’t really going anywhere. So let’s combine emotional trauma and lots of nursing/web-surfing and that is when I discovered Dani and her chicken pot pie. I made it. I loved it. My family loves it. Even my cat, who, strangely, doesn’t like human food, will hide and pounce at us unsuspectingly in Hobbes-like fashion when we’re eating this. This would be the perfect recipe to show up show off to your mother-in-law when she questions whether her baby boy/girl is being properly cared for.

I’ve tweaked just a few things–I use leftover Fauxtisserie chicken (although an actual rotisserie chicken would also work great) instead of boiling chicken breasts, just to save on time and mess (and the fact that I have gaggy sensory issues with boiled chicken). I also cut the potatoes into significantly smaller pieces because my husband refuses to eat a cooked vegetable larger than about 1/4 of a cubic inch. Additionally, I use homemade cream of chicken soup because, well, I like it. Same goes for the homemade pie crust. Dani, I hope I haven’t completely destroyed your mom’s chicken pot pie! :)

Chicken Pot Pie
2 unbaked pie crusts (or double the pie crust recipe here)
1 lb. leftover roasted fauxtisserie chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 12-16 oz. bag of peas and carrots or mixed vegetables, thawed
1 onion, minced
butter
5 medium-small red potatoes, diced
2 cans cream of chicken soup (or one recipe of homemade cream of chicken soup)
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt (more or less, to taste)
Ground black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400. Bring a large pot of water (salt optional) to a boil. When ready, add potatoes and boil until tender. Meanwhile, heat about 1 Tbsp. butter in a medium skillet. When the butter is bubbly, saute the onion until it’s translucent and fragrant. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, combine cream of chicken soup, chicken, vegetables, onion, and potatoes. Season to taste.
Now…the pie can be done a couple of ways. Normally, I make one family-sized chicken pot pie like Dani does, but my most recent adventure in Chicken Pot Pie-Land involved little individual mugs/ramekins of chicken pot pie. It was a big hit! The baking directions are exactly the same, except that the mug pies ONLY have a crust on top (which cuts down on the fat; in fact, you could get away with 1 pie crust if you do it this way).
ANYWAY. If you’re making one whole pie, place one pie crust on the bottom of a pie plate, transfer the filling to the pie plate, and then top with the other pie crust. Crimp the edges and then cut a few vent holes on top.
If you’re making individual pies in oven-safe jars, mugs, or ramekins, fill the dishes with the chicken mixture
and then top with a piece of pie crust slightly larger than the opening of the dish. Crimp the edges and cut some vent holes.

Place pie plate/individual pies on a baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to stand for a few minutes before serving.

Jade says:

Ooh that looks yummy. Btw – I never liked mac & cheese (though i desperately wanted to and thought i should). But then my friend recently made some and it was A.MAZ.ING. I don't know the recipe, but I do know it was baked casserole-style with real sharp and mild cheddar and – surprise, surprise – a layer of crushed Cheez-its on top. YUM.

cookies and cups says:

That looks sooo yummy! I LOVE LOVE chicken pot pie and am so glad it's getting cooler so I can make it more often! Thanks for this recipe!

Britta says:

This recipe looks great. I can't wait to try it. My family loves macaroni and cheese. Here's the recipe that I use ==> http://brittaschatz.blogspot.com/2009/09/comfort-food-macaroni-and-cheese.html

Enjoy!

sherri says:

I love the way you did this crust! This sounds wonderful. Perfect comfort food for fall.

LollyChops says:

This looks so so so good!

I actually LOLd when I read the part about your husband not eating any veggie over a cubic inch. That's funny stuff right there.

See if you can get that recipe from Jade for the Mac & Cheese with cheez-its on top. That sounds kinda interesting!

Andria says:

I love chicken pot pie, but I think there's one thing you should try adding to fill out the flavor a little. Crazy as it sounds, cranberry sauce with whole berries is AMAZING in chicken pot pie. You'll never want to go back.

mindy says:

I'm assuming you add the soup to the chicken mixture?

Angela [YourEverydayMama] says:

I love Chicken Pot Pie, but have never tried to make it…this one looks amazing, love the personal portion sizes.

Kate says:

Thanks, Mindy! I fixed it! :)

Cate says:

Love pot pie – total comfort food.

becca says:

I am never disappointed with chicken pot pie and I love that you made them in mugs… so cute! I made little bite sized chicken pot pies in mini muffin tins last month and they were adorable :)

Shelby says:

i can't wait to try it! too bad my hubby is out of town tonight…i'll have to try this out tomorrow night. looks so yummy right now.

I am in love with anything made in personal mug servings. So cute! And it looks so warm and cozy. I think I will have to make it this week and pretend it's not still in the 90's outside!

Crystal says:

The personal pot pies look so perfect. Love chicken pot pie. Bring on the soups and comfort food the cold weather is just around the corner.

RhodeyGirl says:

I don't even like chicken pot pie and this looks INSANELY amazing to me! yum!

Love the presentation too!

Kelly Sweazea says:

Looks delicious! Can't wait for it to get cold here so I can make it! :)

Oh and Pioneer Woman and Alton Brown have similar but both AMAZING mac and cheese recipes. I have tweaked them to make my own and it is perfect! Good Luck!

Anne says:

Wow, it looks amazing!

michelle says:

This looks fantastic! I have to try it. Thanks for another amazing recipe.

Amanda says:

My husband claims to not like chicken pot pie.

We'll just see about that!

MDtripmom says:

That looks just like what I ordered last time I went to Mimi's Cafe but better! We love chicken pot pie here!

tollestrupfamily says:

This recipe looks amazing (as usual) but the real reason I am posting is I was wondering if you had a Greek chicken recipe up your sleeve. You are my "go to" for anything yummy so I thought I would check with you first. I tried to email the question portion of the blog but it gave me an error. I hope you see this!

Tollestrup fam- try sending us an email at general@ourbestbites.com (is that what you tried?) and we'll talk Greek chicken!

I love the pie crust/mug idea.
    Mmmmm. . . it's so cute.

kim says:

i normally don't like chicken pot pie. but they way you made it here looks yummy. i want some ramekins or oven safe mugs now!

Ferni's Food says:

You know I've never had a homemade chicken pot pie I had been thinking about that rather recently. I want to try your recipe looks really good : )

Donya says:

Saw this yesterday and what am I making for dinner tonight, yep, I was inspired to make chicken pot pie. We can't do potatoes due to my hubby's diet restrictions but we substitute celery. Yummy! Thanks for reminding me to make one of my fave dishes.

TheFitnessFreak says:

Oh how I wish I could eat that picture!!

Dani says:

I'm honored to be the inspiration for this lovely dish. Looks fantastic!

Dani

Daphne says:

I made this last night (complete with the homemade cream of chicken soup…which was DELISH all by itself..thanks for that!) and it was a huge hit! My husband called it a "keeper" (which he does with just about every recipe I make from this site :)). I made the whole pie version (I'll try the individuals next time) and this morning, I couldn't find my 3-year-old…she was in the kitchen, with the fridge door open, with her fingers stuck in the leftover pie…I guess she really loved it, too!

Amanda says:

I'm bookmarking this for this winter, looks so good!

Jolleen says:

this looks amazing! thank you!

mitten says:

When do I add the cream of chicken soup? and to u add water (can full) too? I may just make a roux and add some homemade chicken soup instead.

bscngrad says:

I love chicken pot pie, especially now that the weather is getting colder. One thing I do when I make it is add a layer of grated cheese to the top before the pie crust, so yummy!!

Cusaks says:

This was VERY good. I am leaving for a week and wondering if I can make this and just freeze it whole? Will it be soggy or something?

Kate says:

Cusaks–While I've never done it before, I'm almost positive that you could bake it and then freeze it, or just freeze it uncooked and let it bake a little longer. Looks like I need to try that next because that would be an AWESOME freezer meal! :)

Bethany says:

this was great!! I was out of red potatoes but had russets so I peeled them, diced them and boiled them, although it was slightly dry so maybe a little too much potato. Next time I will add a little milk now that I know the right consistency to look for. We all loved it even my picky 9yr daughter!! Thank You!
    For a freezer meal I would do it like my peach pies, line a pie dish with plastic wrap, put the filing in wrap over the filling and freeze, then when ready unwrap and put it in a crust, but prebake the crust bottom about 10 minutes to avoid soggy from the filling as it thaws, then bake a little longer.

Nicole says:

Thanks for the great recipe! My very picky 2-year-old thought it was "cake" and was very excited to have a slice. I wondered if he would keep eating it once he realized it wasn't really "cake" and he did keep eating it!!! I was so excited to sneak a few veggies in his diet! Next time I make this, I am going to double the amounts for the filling and freeze half of it in a gallon ziploc bag. Then when I am ready to have it again, all I have to do is put it in the fridge the night before to thaw and whip up a pie crust when ready to bake. Thanks!

Trimble says:

I was really nervous about making this because I was doing your cream of chicken soup and your pie crust as well but it turned out GREAT and my husband and I loved it! The next time I made it I put a little cheese on top before putting on the top crust and gave it to a neighbor. They said that was yummy. You guys are the best!

Holman Family says:

Any suggestions on how big the individual portion size mugs/ramekins should be? I'm guessing about 8 oz. size, but didn't know if that might be big? Definitely wanting to try individual portions! Thanks!

Richelle says:

I don't like pot pies. I have bad memories of my mom making us microwave pot pies as a kid and hating them. So I was a little leery going into this recipe. I have been on this kick lately to make things that I don't like. How weird is that?! I think I am convinced that I will like them now or something. Well let me tell you….I LOVED this. I am not sure if it was the crust from scratch (your recipe) or what, but this was really really really good. And the hubbs thought so too. And he's not real big on veggies. I see a trend with husbands not liking veggies here. And it was pretty simple. I know some people don't think rolling out a pie crust during the middle of a non-holiday week is calling it simple, but I did. :) Thanks for the awesome recipe. Keep up the fabuloso job.

Kylie Walker says:

We made this tonight and loved it! The crust was delicious, and I am forever indebted to your fauxtiserie (sp?) chicken.

Lauren says:

I'll definitely have to try this, but since you mentioned mac-n-cheese, I thought I'd suggest a super yummy recipe that I recently tried. It's so delicious. Give it a go!

the frog princess says:

Made these yesterday, great recipe!

My homemade cream of chicken soup came out a little bland at first, but that might have been the cheap chicken broth that my grocery store carries. Some extra broth and spices perked it right up.

Also, I am officially in love with this blog. Just sayin'…

julie! says:

On the back of the Kraft sharp cheddar shredded cheese package is a recipe for Mac n' cheese with spinach and BACON! (BACON!!!!!)
    woah. It's seriously awesome.
    This is the one you've been searching for.

Jessica says:

I made this dish tonight, and loved it. When I said I was making chicken pot pie, my boyfriend wasn't too excited. He ended up LOVING it, though, like I knew he would.

I think next time I'll only use half an onion, though. A whole one seemed to be a bit much.

Jessica says:

First, I have to say this is the best chicken pot pie I have ever eaten! So, I would like to make this for a fried who just had a baby and I was thinking of putting it all together and not baking it; I figured I would let her do that so it's fresh for dinner. Do you think that would be okay or should I just bake it and let her reheat it? And if you have any suggestions for dishes that might work better for something like this – I would love to hear them :)

Thanks,
    Jess

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Jessica, I'm so glad you liked it! :) You know, you could totally take this to her unbaked and just let her cook it whenever it works for her. For other meals you can make ahead, copy and paste this link:

A lot of them are things you can make a lot of ahead of time and the freeze and either thaw or cook in a slow cooker.

Hope that helps!! :)

Marybeth says:

I would like to say that because my little jars were being used up by mini frozen berry pies. and my pie dish had a chocolate chip pie in it, and i had an incurable craving for chicken pot pie, i made my mini cakes in a CUPCAKE TIN!!!! and they turned out WONDERFULLY!!!!

mummoftwo says:

I have made the cakes in a jar, am going to try the apple pies as I send these to my son in the Marines in afghanistan, They love them, If I prepare the lids in boiling water and seal them as they come out of the oven and tighten as they cool, could I send them overseas to the guys? I am sure they would love some home cooked real food. Deborah

Deborah- We've heard about a lot of people doing this, but we're not canning experts, so we really aren't sure!

Jenissa says:

Just curious what ramekin size ya'll use? I may have some oven proof mugs, but the ramekins are really cute =) Also, do you use the same kind size ramekin for your cookie/ice cream heaven dessert? thanks!

Jenissa says:

Just thinking out loud here…

Do you think it would be possible to do this like you have done your single serving dessert pie in the freezer (i.e. put the filling in a mason jar, then the crust, then the lid on top?)

Jody, RD says:

Great recipe – I love a CLASSIC chicken pot pie recipe :)

I made a few minor tweaks to improve the nutrition. Check it out at my new blog

Annie says:

Made these tonight (in little ramekins) and it was a big hit! We have a bunch of them though, but again, so delicious.

randumbredhead says:

Made these tonight. I was a little skeptical because I have a recipe similar to this and it's just all right. This one was waay better. Made the homemade crust and it was awesome. I've made pie crust before but those weren't as good as this one. They came out dry and tough, not at all flaky like this one. Also, I halved the recipe and was worried that one can of cream of chicken was too little. I was wrong! I added about a tablespoon of milk to make it thinner, DON'T do that. It was still very good though. Throwing out my other pot pie recipe definately!

Bridget says:

We had this for dinner tonight and it was so delicious. Thank you! I also used your cream of chicken and pie crust recipes (we live in a foreign country where you can't buy the prepared versions of that stuff…which is sometimes a good thing).

Thanks again!!

Robyn says:

Loving your website…looking for your cookbook next!
    I must be blind but where do you note how many your recipe’s feed? I cook for a family of 8-9 each night and would love to make better approximations…thanks!

kirstin says:

Hi Ladies! I just wanted to let you know how much I absolutely LOVE this recipe. It gets rave reviews from the family, my boyfriend doesn’t make a sound during dinner and it was even fire station worthy and got rave reviews from hungry firemen! keep bringing us the fabulous recipes! I love the one potish meals, they make my life easier :D and my boyfriend also likes to bring them to the station because its alot less work on nights he has to cook! (Tip: I made the pie filling and popped it into a ziploc freezer container, minus the crust. Then when I want chicken pot pie I just defrost the filling and make a crust! I just wasn’t happy with how the left overs I had done previously with the crust already on turned out! Its a half-way done meal with only a small amount of prep, but with the perks of everyone thinking you slaved in the kitchen forever. Couple minutes defrosting, making a crust. and then go hang out for an hour while it bakes!) Thanks again ladies for changing my cooking!!!!!

Gabrielle says:

Do I add water with the soup like it calls for on the can?

Charlotte says:

To those that asked about freezing pot pie. I have a recipe I make for my family that they LOVE1 Including all the kiddos. I make it in double batches and put half the filling in a freezer bag for up to several months. This is my meal I take to every new mom and it freezes great. I just defrost the filling, pour into the dish and add the fresh crust at time of baking. I would guess that this could be frozen too, however I use fresh veggies, except for the peas, so not sure about frozen veggies being cooked and then refrozen.

Vanessa says:

Loved this!! So did the hubby!

Vanessa says:

Amazing! I have never had a pot pie this good! This was the first time I made it, but it sure will not be the last. I had leg quarters that I boiled and cut into small pieces and a rotiserre chicken. I used all the juice from the rotiserre chicken. I had soup veggies, stew veggies and mixed veggies (5 bags total). I used 10 potatoes, and had four crusts, so I was able to make four pot pies with a crust on top only. Why not save some calories? Ooh, this is just the best and soooo easy to make. I’m very glad I found this recipe! My husband will be too when he tries it!

Pam says:

I made this for my family tonight. The kids groaned when I put it on the table since they have not like the chicken pot pies I’ve made in the past. Once they started eating, no one stopped until it was all gone! Everyone really, really like it. I will be making it again and again! Thanks for another great recipe!

Chelle says:

Just want to say I have made this a million times and our family loves it. This is coming from a lady who grew up hating pot pie. I probably comment yearly something similar lol, but we can’t get enough. I make it both with homemade or store bought soup. I always make a homemade crust, which I believe makes this dish. Keep up the great work ladies.

Future Mrs. Gresco says:

I have a lot of those squatty half pint jars (like from the cup cake and pie in a jar recipes.) So, I used those for my pot pies..I did the crust similar to the pie in a jar post so that I could screw the lid onto the left overs! So stinking cute! I also used those seamless crescent dough sheets as my crust (i made 72 cupcakes yesterday for my co-workers ie elementary teachers, special request from the principal for v-day, so i wasnt in the mood to create anything!) They are puffing up like crazy and browning quickly. they look yummy. but i did make a tin foil blanket so they could cook for longer. thanks to you wonderful ladies people think im more more talented then i really am: when actually i just know how to follow a good recipe! Thanks!

em says:

Can we substitute cream of chicken soup for cream of mushroom?

TDSmith says:

So disappointed that Mimi’s Cafe has changed their chicken pot pie recipe that I found a recipe and made one myself. I think using the rotisserie chicken made the difference. It already had such great flavor. MMM mmmm good!

My filling was way more than enough to fill a the largest pie pan I owned. I’ve put a quart of filling in the freezer for a personal size pie sometime later on.

Shirley Easton says:

I made the Chicken pot pie last week…..it was wonderful and very easy. I did add 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning, a little garlic salt and pepper. My family loved it. This recipe is a keeper.