So it’s Thursday, but I thought it was only fair to post this recipe today since people in Utah get to see me cook it on TV! If you want to catch it, my (very short-really, don’t blink or you’ll miss it) segment will air Thursday Sept. 17th some time between 11am-12. I’ll do my best to avoid being a gigantic disappointment. If any of you imagine me in your head to look like Heidi Klum with spatula in hand, then do me a favor and don’t watch. I’d like to preserve at least some of those metal images. However, if you’d like a good laugh, there’s an extremely high chance that I’ll do something ridiculously klutzy on live television (like spill boiling sugar on my already burnt hand or drop a cuss word in Zion or something).

For everyone else–here’s what we’re cookin’ up today.

Oh yeah, it’s really good. It’s a variation of this regular caramel corn, but with all of the warm cinnamon-y goodness of fall. (Hmm…warm cinnamon-y goodness appears to be our theme this week). When it bakes, the pecans get toasted and the creamy white chocolate just makes it food-gasmic. Whip this up for all of the fall TV premiers this week (by the way, it’s not even funny how excited I am for those). (Hey, do you think I could use any more parenthesis in this post??)

*note: there are a few minor changes to this recipe as compared to the recipe on KSL. They’re both fine, I just removed the salt and added a bit more white chocolate in this version.

Cinnamon Caramel Corn with Pecans & White Chocolate

{AKA Cinnamon Bun Popcorn!}
Recipe by Our Best Bites

12 C popped popcorn (about 1/2 C kernels)*
1 C roughly chopped pecans
1 C brown sugar
3/4 t cinnamon
1/4 C Karo syrup (or honey makes a good substitution)
1 stick real butter (1/2 C)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
3 squares almond bark

*You can use air popped or microwave popcorn. If using microwave, anything works, but I prefer a “natural” flavor that’s low in butter and salt.

Preheat oven to 250 degrees

Place popcorn and chopped pecans in a large bowl and set aside. And by large bowl, I mean like, twice as big as you think you really need. If you don’t believe me, then maybe you will believe the scorching hot caramel goo that’s splattered all over your hands while you’re stirring in your not-so-big bowl. Just a thought.

Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a big, microwave-safe bowl. Like a 2-quart bowl or Pyrex measuring bowl. Again, use a bowl larger than you think you need to avoid scorching hot caramel goo accidents. It’s really important to incorporate the cinnamon into the brown sugar at this point. For some reason, if you don’t it does crazy things. I don’t know why. Try it and then email Alton Brown and ask him if you really want to know.

Chop butter into chunks and place on top of sugar mixture. Pour corn syrup (or honey) over the top of everything.

Microwave on high for 30 seconds (just to soften the butter a bit) and then stir to combine.

Return to microwave and heat for 2 minutes. Remove and stir and then microwave for 2 minutes more.

By this point it should be nice and bubbly like this.

If it doesn’t quite look like that you can microwave it a little longer, but just beware that if you over cook it, it will reach the hard candy stage and you’ll end up with a giant clump of tasty concrete-like substance with little popcorn pieces stuck to it. Don’t ask me how I know this.

Remove from the microwave and add in vanilla and baking soda.

This is where you can justify making this every day. Adding vanilla and baking soda to boiling sugar totally counts as a science project so you can check it off as a teaching moment with your children. Really. It’s about the children. Here at Our Best Bites we’re all about educating America’s youth. So you should also know that if you count how many pizza rolls or toffee chip cookies you eat it qualifies as math class. Count in Spanish and you get extra credit. And heck, if you’re doing Spanish, you should just go ahead and make taquitos to go with it. And you can’t have taquitos without guacamole. And something to wash it down with. Like I said; it’s all about the kids. If you give a mouse a cookie…

Okay, back to caramel goodness. See what happens? The vanilla makes it bubble and pop and the baking soda makes it foam up, like this:

Now take that foamy science project and pour it right over the popcorn and pecans. Stir right away, and stir lots. Take too long and the caramel will harden on you. Keep stirring until everything is well coated.

Spread popcorn mixture onto a foil-lined jelly roll pan.

And yeah, go ahead and pop some in your mouth, you know you want to. It will be kinda chewy and stick-to-your-teeth-like. But we’re gonna change that. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.

After 30 minutes, take a piece out and let it cool. “Sample.” If it’s not crunchy enough, bake for another 5 minutes. “Sample” again. This will not be the end of “sampling.”

When it’s done, give it a final stir and let it cool off for a bit while you melt your almond bark (just nuke it in the microwave according to the package directions) If you want, you can spread out your caramel corn on a clean piece of parchment, waxed paper, or foil. I always do this because sometimes it sticks to the hot foil if I leave it on the original pan. I’m kind of a clean control freak and I like to have it on a nice, fresh surface.

Now, just use a fork and drizzle the melted almond bark over the popcorn mixture.

When it’s hardened (pop it in the fridge to speed that process along) break into chunks and enjoy!

This stuff is so awesome for packaging. Put it in cute bags like shown in this Halloween popcorn post, or in little tin pails, or cellophane bags with a ribbon. It’s great for bake sales and party favors too. Or just to EAT! It’s so stinkin’ addictive.

People always tell me I should sell it. I did once, at the only garage sale I’ve ever had. People apparently thought the well-packaged bags next to the “Gourmet Popcorn for $1″ sign were samples. But they DID disappear real fast.

OREGON SOUTHWORTHS says:

So basically this is like a "Harvest Moose Munch" – totally something you would see at Harry & David this time of the year! Yum, yum, yum. I have never attempted making caramel corn (doesn't help that our air popper sucks) so I'll have to get over that fear and try this! And I still want to try your Peppermint Bark popcorn. :)

jjnhubbs says:

Holy mackerel! I want this…no, I NEED it!! I might just have to make a trip to the store this afternoon so I can make some tonight…Oh, and don't feel too bad about your screamin hot pan handle accident – I've done it too! I felt like an idiot for weeks. I hope it heals quickly!

Tricia says:

Oh my word really?? Why haven't you given me this recipe before? You know my love affair with caramel corn!! The only way you can make it up to me is to bring me some :) ILY!! Congrats on your television appearance!

Jade says:

OMG. That looks amazing. And evil. And yummy. I'm drooling. :)

Sonya says:

WOW! We already call the other Caramel Corn "Crack" Corn because we can't stop eating it(burned my finger so bad the last time I made it. That stuff loves to fly sometimes when you are mixing it..lol) but I can see that I will be making this one aswell!!

LeBeau Family says:

Yummy! It's the perfect snack to eat while I watch Biggest Loser!

Christina says:

Hey– I just noticed you are SOOOO close to the thousand mark on followers!! Yeah! You knock the socks off every other food blog out there and should have won those luxe awards.

Anyway…this looks amazing!! I can't decided if I'll make this or your poppyseed bread for a baby shower this weekend. Hmmmm.

BERRETTS says:

Talk about Timing! Our local gourmet popcorn shop (what, don't all neighborhoods have one?) recently went out of business and we've been trying to make do with butterfingers melted over popcorn. This looks just like their cinnamon corn. YAY!

the ungourmet says:

What a wonderful Caramel Corn recipe! I agree, you should sell this! I'd be the first in line! :P

Erin says:

holy crap that looks good!

good luck on TV!

torri says:

I really, really want to make this, it looks divine! But I'm wondering if you don't like crunchy popcorn, and like it gooey, can you just not bake it?

Nama says:

I love this! So Fall-y and Christmas-y. I'll definitely have to try this recipe out soon.

And, by the way, I regularly burn myself in my kitchen. I know and feel your clutzy pain.

Lisa-Lou-Who says:

Yum. Loved the TV appearance. Too bad Kate wasn't able to make it too. :( You guys rock.

Kelly says:

Sara you looked gorgeous! How fun!

Megan says:

Is there any way to make this without a microwave?? We try to steer clear of one and currently don't own one…is it possible to do this on the stove top without too much trouble? It sounds divine and I would love to try it!
    happybakerwife27@gmail.com

The Double Dipped Life says:

You look fabulous darling! You were a natural, great job!

stephchows says:

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!! now that looks delicious!!!

Lisa says:

I make regular caramel corn for the kids, and can't wait to fancy it all up (on special occasions) with cinnamon, pecans, and white chocolate…yum!! What a great gift idea!!

Thanks for the great recipe!!
    Lisa B.
    (Colorado)

Laura says:

I must find out from Sara what kind of popcorn she uses. The kind in the picture looks like it pops up fabulously. The kind I buy doesn't tend to be as nice and fluffy.

michelle says:

I want to eat this now! I love saving your recipes!

The Wifey says:

It is a STICK of butter. What kind of geometry classes were YOU taking in Seattle Sara?

;)

Ingrid says:

Hey, Sara! When you print your recipe the vanilla and baking soda are not on the ingredient list. Just a heads up. I'm making this as we speak!
    ~ingrid

Stix says:

Sara, I wanted to tell you that I thought you rocked your TV spot. You were witty and funny and you kept a great banter with the host. Good for you!
    By the way I am Stephanie Jones's sister in-law on the Evenson side. I love your blog, keep up the good work.

christina- yes, over a thousand today! Thanks for your nice words too, so sweet of you :)

Torri- I like gooey popcorn too, but this one works best crunchy. You can certainly give a shot though, I would just toast the nuts first so they taste better and you may want to skip the chocolate. But hey, you may not! I actually have been munching on the leftover un-baked batch from tv today and it's not bad! It's a little different (texture wise) than the regular gooey caramel corn, but still tasty.

Megan- you can totally do it on the stove top instead of the microwave. Follow the same instructions and just let it boil for about 4 minutes or so before adding the vanilla and baking soda.

Laura- funny you should mention the popcorn. Ready for this? Walmart brand! As I popped it last night to prep for the show my family and I were staring at it wondering how on earth it got so big- largest popcorn I've ever seen!

Ingrid- thanks, got it all fixed.

Whoever asked- (can't remember and can't find it!) you can absolutely substitute white chocolate for almond bark. Both work. I just always have big blocks of almond bark around and it melts and drizzles so nicely. Either one works great.

Thanks to everyone else for your nice comments!

MommytoTommy says:

You are SO cute!! I loved the TV bit! I want that popcorn, too! Too bad I can't have any! :( Darned tooth! It doesn't get fixed for 2 weeks!! *cries*

Jess says:

I just tried this, and it is SO GOOD. It's supposed to be for a function tonight, and I'm not sure it is going to make it there.

It also made my house smell very yummy.

Jessica :) says:

Wow!! This looks so amazing! I love all things popcorn – it's kind of crazy just how much I love it – and I am sooo excited to try this amazing looking recipe!! Thank you so much for sharing!

Rhonda says:

Looks delish—but I'm in the middle of making it and don't see how much salt to mix with the brown sugar and cinnamon. We'll see how 1 tsp does.

JoandDoug says:

This was delicious and my house smells like Christmas so thanks for that! The only think I noticed was that salt was left out of the original recipe. I accidentally added the soda instead of salt because I thought that's what you meant and saw that soda was added later. It still turned out delicious. Thanks!

Shannon says:

Sara you did great! You may have a career in tv. Remember me when you are famous. Scott will be at the game. Give him a hard time if you see him. Have a fab time and a safe return.

Barbara Bakes says:

Fun video! I love the idea of Cinnabun Popcorn!

I posted about your delicious Southwest Chipotle Burgers today. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Sorry about the salt confusion! I actually took it out of this recipe (but forgot to delete it in the directions). I forgot to add it in one of my batches and that's when I decided it wasn't really a necessary ingredient! If you do add salt, do 1/4 tea. But I'm just going to remove it from the ingredient list now.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction says:

Yum! I love popcorn recipes… they are so fun to make, and they make wonderful gifts! Reminds me of Moose Munch from Harry & David's!

LuCDay says:

You sneaky girl, so that's why you were going to Utah. Definitly adding this to my popcorn recipes (they have their own section in my recipe box but this one's definitely the fanciest). You're aweseome!

A.L. says:

I've always wanted to know what the secret of making tasty gourmet popcorn is. I never knew it was to bake it in the oven!
    Thanks, this looks divine. And, you are soooo pretty! You did great on studio 5.

Ryan says:

This stuff is great – after seeing your spot on KSL I decided to make it as our treat contribution to our friends' BYU game pot-luck. The popcorn was a crowd pleaser – too bad the game didn't turn-out better…

Karina B. says:

This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!!!!

Steph says:

Um, cooking right now. I don't know if I can wait for it to cool. I totally licked the carmel spoon … YUM!

J and K says:

Love the post and the site! Can't wait to visit again!

jjcrew says:

Sara! I watched your segment. I was so nervous for you (I'm a "Next Food Network Star junkie) but you did awesome! You would have made it to the next round in my book! Just remember me when you're famous! ;) Love ya, Jenn

I got to enjoy this from the cook herself and it is to die for! We just couldn't stop eating it-even after it made us sick :) So watch out, it's addicting! Mmmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it again :)

LollyChops says:

1) You looked FAB on TV! So neat to actually SEE you.

2) This stuff looks dangerous.

3) I might have to make it tonight

4) There is NO such thing as too many parenthesis (no matter what). I should count how many I used in my last post (it's got to be around 100).

5) HUGS.

Annie says:

Thanks so much for this yummy recipe. I have made it a few variations this past week. I posted a link on our blog. Thanks again!!

Linda says:

Wow, this was amazing! It reminds me of the cinnamon roasted almonds that I love to get at the baseball games. I am totally making this for Christmas.

mindy says:

I love your blog and all your recipes! You two are awesome. I enjoyed watching your tv bit–and I have to say, I grew up in puyallup, washington, and I also call soda POP, and a CUBE of butter sounds fine to me. Funny how some things are like that…

Yay, another Washingtonian! Thanks Mindy, I feel normal now that other people talk like I do!

Cuff says:

Hi! I've made this three times in the past 10 days or so, and man, it's great. The first time I made it, it came out all shiny and crunchy and beautiful. But the last two times, it's come out looking dry-ish. It tastes fine and when it cools it gets crunchy, but it doesn't have that "caramel corn" shiny-crackly skin to it. Any idea why?

The 2nd time I didn't microwave for long enough, but this last time I did…maybe I just need to go over the 2+2 mins in the microwave?

Cuff- I know what you mean. The only way to really control that is to do everything on the stove top with a candy thermometer. I think the sugar needs to peak at a certain temperature. The only problem is that I couldn't tell ya what that temp is, lol. Sometimes my batches turn out shiny and glossy and other times they don't at all. For me personally it doesn't matter because it tastes so good either way! So for that reason I've been too lazy to experiment with temperatures. When I do I'll be sure to add it here!

Brian and chelsea says:

Hey there – my friend Ivy sent me to this site. I just want to say what a talented writer you are! Very captivating. I actually enjoyed reading the recipe directions, even though the calorie count of this dish is way too high for me to ever consider!

Cheri says:

This looks so good! I'm making it for a charity bake sale next tuesday. Any idea how long in advance I can make it?

Rebecca says:

Could you use microwave popcorn for this?

Kate says:

Rebecca–Yep, you can totally use microwave popcorn! :) I've used Orville R.'s Simply Salted popcorn and it works beautifully!

BluRibbonz says:

OMG! This looks absolutely mouthwatering and delicious!!! I will have to make this for my family this year… maybe for thanksgiving – the sooner the better, lol! I might add marshmellows to it though… and maybe even some (real) coconut! I'll definately make extra so I can use it to occupy the kids I babysit =P they can help me make it and then give them some to eat. I usually get hulless popcorn kernals from http://www.justpoppin.com and make popcorn with the kids, then they can each put their own flavors on it and they wont eat a bunch of salt and oils from the microwave stuff!

crazybug says:

AmAzInG!!!!

Stacie says:

perfect! i went to super saturday after i made this, came home, and my family had saved me three bites! i was ticked! but i guess that just proves how delicious this is! a keeper!!!

Southern Belle Mama says:

I have made this recipe twice and it is delicious (and addictive)! I have a question though. When I add my vanilla it does the bubbly thing, but adding the baking soda has no effect…no frothy reaction as shown. It isn't really a problem, it just looks like the consistency of your mixture would be easier to mix with the popcorn. Any suggestions?

Southern Belle- Is your baking soda fresh? That's usually the problem, especially if the box has been sitting open for a while. I can tell you though that it won't foam nearly as much as it does with the normal caramel corn recipe. For some reason the cinnamon has some reaction that prevents that. Sometimes when I make it the mixture foams quite a bit and other times hardly at all. It's strange! I'm sure it has a lot to do with temps too- since we're not doing this with a thermometer on the stove top it's hard to know exactly what point is perfect. But the easiest thing would be to try a fresh box of baking soda!

Jolleen says:

just letting you know…i linked you to my blog. i love this recipe…i've made it twice this week and it's only Tuesday. Ha!

Lisa M. Cline says:

FINALLY had the op to make this and I was NOT disappointed. We have munched this to pieces. We LUV it and will be making it often, even for Christmas presents.

Megan says:

Never heard of this or anything similar til now. Am definitely going to make this for the gang on our craft night on Saturday! thanks again

Andujar Family says:

Quick question,

I would like to make this and pass it out for Christmas. When is the earliest I can make it??? and store it.

All of the popcorn treats on our site are best the fresher they are. Technically this one will stay crunchy for a week or so, but I wouldn't make it that far in advance because it's definitely not as good. I would probably only do it a day or two early for optimum yumminess :)

Andujar Family says:

Would you advise storing them in a container? Or a plastic giftbag okay?

I wanted to do that and tie a ribbon. Well, thats the idea!

Either, or. If you do a gift bag, just make sure it's tied tightly and it should stay nice and fresh. When I use the little cellophane bags I usually tie them with a twist tie (that comes with them) and then put the ribbon on.

Stephanie says:

I've never heard of almond bark. Where can I find it? In the supermarket? Any suggestions? (I live in Los Angeles)
    Thanks!

Stephanie- Almond bark is similar to white chocolate (same flavor, it has nothing to do with almonds!) it just melts much easier. It comes in a big block, separated into squares and wrapped in plastic. You can find it just in your regular grocery store. It's generally by the chocolate chips, and often on the very top or very bottom shelf. During the holidays it's often on end-cap displays as well. If for any reason you can't find it, just use melted white chocolate instead. Hope that helps!

NICOLE says:

Hi Sara, I love caramel corn recipes. I'm always lookin for new ones. I've been making Rum
    Caramel corn (that's rum extract)for a long time. Never did the chocolate. I wish you the best, your blog is so much fun. I was just looking for gifts from your kitchen for Christmas gifts. Found some nice recipes to try. Don't know if you have a Michael's in your area, they sell Wilton Baking items and molding chocolate that you can melt if you can't find the almond bark. It comes in many colors and flavors. Even a Peanut Butter flavor. Have a great Holiday and a Merry New Year

Sylvia says:

Yeah, um I have a little problem…none of this is making it into my gift bags. It detours directly into my mouth. Sheesh. Yum. I'll be wearing most of this Ah-mazing stuff on my already "cottage cheese" wrinkled thighs!!

jfb says:

I made this for a family party this weekend and also to take to my VTing ladies. So delish! Thanks for the great recipe.

The only change I made was I poured white chocolate chips on right from the oven and then just stirred it to coat – - my girls woke from their nap early and I knew I wouldn't have time to finish with almond bark!

Kara@ Creations by Kara says:

I finally got around to making this stuff. Oh my. It is scary yummy!

Erin says:

I am totally enjoying this popcorn recipe! Its half gone and the chocolate isn't even hard yet! This is such a great blog – makes me want to cook!

Brooke - in Oregon says:

OH MY GOSH I just made this and WOW it is just FABULOUS!!

Plain Jame says:

OK, so when I made this I had a problem with my caramel getting grainy instead of smooth – is there something that I am doing wrong? It started out lovely and smooth, but as it hardened, the sugar went grainy and crumbly. I'm bummed because I would like it smooth and toffee looking! Any tips?
    (maybe I'll stick with the pprmt bark popcorn!ha!)

BakinBlast says:

Just made my third batch! Thanks for the great recipe! It is just as good as the once a year road show at Costco that sells Zebra Carmel Corn. I've added a bittersweet drizzle as well to match it to the Zebra stuff! YUM!!!!!!!

Melissa says:

Made a triple batch for Christmas gifts at work, and within minutes, I had two emails telling me that it was the best flavored popcorn that they had ever tried! Thanks again for making me look great! And of course, I told them about ourbestbites.com

My daughter and I made two batches of this 2 days ago. Oh. My. Goodness. It is the best caramel corn I've ever tasted. And it was so easy! You gave excellent instructions for something that might be seen as complicated. It isn't at all! Thank you for this recipe!

Heileson Family says:

This is our new "crack" corn. Yes crack as in the drug. There are only a few popcorn recipes that qualify as crack corn and this is now one of them. It is called crack corn because it is like crack, an addiction that you can't get enough of. I have never tried drugs before but I can imagine what the addiction is like with food. So this is now an addiction. Thank you Sara. I made this the other day for the first time and let me tell you I was in heaven. Everybody that tried it was in heaven as well. I love your "CRACK" Corn. Yum.

LollyChops says:

I just saw this posted on another blog and I had to come check it out. It looks like a giant mound of cinnamon rolls! My goodness! Someone STOP me from making this!!! I can handle making 8 thousand batches of creamy chicken taquitos… but my hips cannot handle 8 thousand batches of this stuff. I will have to be committed to rehab!

Donna says:

I made a big batch of this popcorn to give away with my gifts at Christmas… let me tell you- I wish I made more just for me… since I gave it away I only got two handfuls.. This is the best sweet popcorn I have ever had! Thank you for my new Christmas tradition!

Mrsblocko says:

I made a batch of this using honey and wrote about it here: http://tomatoesforapples.blogspot.com/2010/02/cinnamon-roll-caramel-corn.html

Thank you so much for this evil recipe!!!!!

Erin says:

This was so delicious! I made this for a party, and everyone was hesitant at first to try it. The, "this is just your typical kind of carmel popcorn". Oh no! It turned out to be a "one bite is far from enough!" Thank you for the treat!

Meridee says:

Oh so good! We were all fighting over it.

Angie D says:

I have a quicker method for "baking" the covered popcorn. You can do it in the microwave.

First get a large paper grocery bag and spray it with cooking spray all over the inside. Then pour your popped corn in there. Once your mixture of caramel is finished, pour it over the popcorn right into the bag. Then commence shaking the bag and stirring inside the bag tossing the popcorn all around. I've never burned myself this way. :) I have several times when I try the bowl way. After corn is well coated, roll the top of the bag down and microwave on high for 1 minute. Take out and shake. Put in again for 1 minute. Remove and shake. Then in again for 30 seconds and remove and shake. Then a final 30 seconds in microwave and remove and shake. Cut the side of the bag to lay the popcorn out flat and cool.

It's super quick and turns out the same. :)

Kim says:

Should this be salted or unsalted butter?

Kim, use salted. ( fyi- Unless we specifically call for unsalted butter in our recipes, we're always referring to salted)

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer says:

We love popcorn in our house, this looks fantastic!

TheStolcparts says:

My family loved this recipe. I made a batch to take to a girls night out and ended up making a second batch as I knew my husband and girls wouldn't let me leave with the first one. I can't wait to use this recipe for my family's annual Christmas baking day and give it as gifts. Love it!

Susan says:

This is delicious! We will be serving it at a fun art gallery reception. I think I'm going to leave off the almond bark next time and add in some pretzel pieces drizzled in dark chocolate.

Cher says:

Holy cow! This recipe is fabulous! I followed it to a "T" and it turned out perfectly! And I even managed not to burn myself in the process…Can't wait to share this goody with everyone! Thanks!

giggliz72 says:

Dear Ladies,

OH MY HECK! You have outdone yourselves again. This is so dang good, we were sampling all along the way and had to make a second batch for the ladies at honey's work. I always make them a treat every week and they were supposed to get the first batch…OOPS! It tastes amazing at every sampling stage! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Linda says:

Howdy. Love your recipes.
    popping pop corn tip:

take a regular paper lunch bag, put 1/4 cup of unpopped kernels in it. Fold top a couple of times and put in microwave.I stand the bag upright. Pop for about 3 minutes til the popping almost stops.

Commercial microwave popcorn bags are coated with a chemical that is carcinogenic. The lunch bag is not

Jacqueline says:

I just started playing with candied corn….just love it and all the creative ways to make it. My question is – WHY MICROWAVE POPCORN? I've been using kettle made corn. Is it the moisture perhaps… does anyone know..would love to hear from you. I also agree about using plain paper bag over store ready. Newman's has natural one that's not too bad.

tina says:

Last night I tried to make this delish recipe but it didn't work. For some reason it didn't foam up like it should.

I did use a plastic not glass bowl. Could I have overcooked it? I followed the instructions exactly.

I'd love some advice. I want to give this out at Christmas. Thanks for the help.

Tina Swinford

P.S. Love the site! You guys are amazing. :)

Tina- did you finish the recipe after you made the caramel? Sometimes it doesn't foam up as much. The cinnamon actually affects that sometimes, but it will still work. Also, you may just need new baking soda. Sometimes baking soda sits around in cupboards for a long time and using fresh will make a difference!

tina says:

Sara,

I did cook it in the over for 30 min. It was pretty crystallized on the popcorn. My husband didn't care. He ate it with gusto. :)

You maybe right about the baking powder. I've had it for over a year. I'll try some fresh and see if that works!

Thanks for everything. Your site is delish!

Did you use baking powder tina? If so, then that's the problem! It should be baking soda. Maybe you just mis-typed (I do that all the time with those two things!) but just a thought :)

tina says:

Sara,

I used a new baking soda and instead of plastic bowl I used a glass one and voila! Delish fluffy coating for the popcorn.

My husband declared it was the best thing I ever made. He kept making trips to the kitchen to sample it.

Thanks again for the great recipe. I'm making tons for Christmas and handing them out to everyone!

Thanks again guys! You are the best!

The Ross Family says:

First, I love your blog!
    Second, I'm usually incapable of making stuff like this correctly (can't get home-made fudge to set to save my life), but it worked and was delicious!
    Third, I'm going to try the peppermint bark popcorn tomorrow. Will it matter if I use Bob's Peppermint candies instead of Candy Canes?

Ross Fam- yup, the candies will work just fine. Enjoy it!

Sue says:

Oh my goodness—I made this popcorn and it is soooo good. I have to tell you tho, I decided to do the final cooking in the microwave in a brown paper sack. I poured the goodness over the popcorn and pecans and then shook the heck out of the bag, microwaved it for 1 minute, then shook it again, then micorwaved it for another minute, then shook the heck out of it again and then micorwaved it for 1 minute again (total of 3 times). I then spread it out onto 2 cookie sheets and drizzled with white almond bark after it had cooled quite a bit—it was GREAT!!!!!

Sue Stanley

Carrie says:

This is the 2nd year I made this as gifts for families at church. They all loved it last year so I did it again this year. Made 4 batches last night. I am going to have to give the grocery bag in microwave a try and see how that works, what a time saver if it truly works.
    Thanks again this year!

HavasuLou says:

Oh My! This is wonderful! I made a batch last night, but since I don't care for nuts I put in a cup of coconut and a cup of dried cranberries . . . so yummy! If I'd known caramel corn was this easy I would have attempted it YEARS ago! I'm making two more batches tonight (no nuts) and drizzling with almond bark and melted cinnamon chips :) I'm excited to see how it comes out! THANK YOU LADIES!

Rick Quinnett says:

Just made this to honor some ladies in our office for Admin. Prof. Day….hopefully there will be some left to give away! Thanks for this….truly is great popcorn.

Kristin says:

OMG I LOVE this!!!

Kristi Hall says:

I have a recipe very similar to this, but instead of trying to stir everything together (popcorn and carmel) you dump it into a brown paper bag, you know the ones you get at the grocery store. Then you just shake, shake shake. No worries about getting burned and I always tell myself that I’m working off the calories from eating the delicious popcorn!

kris ann says:

I just made this tonite except I added peanuts instead of pecans, added candy corn, and drizzled it with choc and white almond bark. Beware! This stuff is SERIOUSLY addictive!! You are a mad genius!!! :)

Cristina says:

Though I have not made this yet, give me about 10 minutes, I’m heading to the kitchen now, I do have some helpful hints. 3 bags of microwaved popcorn is about 12 cups popped corn. So if like me you just need a fix, pop 1 and reduce the recipe to 1/3 for an evening treat or afternoon pick me up. I’m off to try this, sounds just too good! (PS- I have made the traditional caramel corn recipe and that was how I figured out those measurements and BTW- it was amazing!)

Becky says:

I’ve been making caramel corn for years and use my great-grandmother’s metal dishpan! It’s huge! I can’t wait to try this variation! Last year, this week, I was in the UK and spent the day in Harrods (they sell everything) they had this almost exact popcorn in little jars for 24 pounds!! each !! Can’t wait to make this!!

Cathy Neistat says:

The cookbook I worked on as a kid….we used ‘cube’ of butter and that’s here in Denver. In later years, on a cooking video and a second cookbook, we evolved to ‘stick’. It’s just the way it was, the way of times passed along. Cube has always been a stick!

Julianne says:

PAN & STOVE VERSION:

The first time I made this in the microwave as directed. The caramel crystalized and went sugary :o( . I don’t like the idea of making candy in the microwave anyway.

The next time I made it in a pan on the stove. Brought it to a boil over medium heat, put a lid on the pan for 2 minutes to wash the sugar crystals off the sides (to prevent the caramel from crystalizing), and then removed the pan from the heat and added the soda, vanilla, and also the chopped nuts (to keep them from falling to the bottom of the popcorn bowl). Poured over the popped corn in a bowl sprayed with Pam for easy clean-up. Also used a silpat on my cookie sheet and a rubber spatula for easier stirring. Success!!!

Charity says:

Oh.Em.Geeeeee…just made this & I am so addicted! =)

joy says:

Hey Sara~
    For the cinnamon, is it 3/4 t meaning Tablespoon or teaspoon? Sorry, not much of a cook or baker, so I guess I need it spelled out.

Nona Taylor says:

Another hit! I sent this to my daughter at college. She said everyone loved it. I also used Orval R. Natural microwave popcorn. So good. Sent the Monster Mix for October, this for November and will be sending the peppermint popcorn for December. Any suggestions for January? Thought of making popcorn with covered with white chocolate & red hots for February.

wendy hunt says:

Sound delicious… Cant wait to try it.. love the way you teach your recipes. so cute…

Krista says:

Just made this popcorn last weekend and now have made it 2 more times. It is soooo good! Everyone wants more! Thank you!

Kristi says:

I made this and it rocked! Everyone loved it, I will definitely make it again. I had a small hiccup though, I tried to melt white chocolate/vanilla chips in the microwave and this did not work! Luckily I had some candy melt disks and those of course worked.

Dawn Robinson says:

Oh my goodness, I made this yesterday, everyone LOVED it and demanded the recipe! My family is leaving on a trip this year at Christmas time and we decided this popcorn would be a good alternative to making several batches of cookies for friends and family.

kelly says:

2 weeks ago I made 6 batches of this for gifts and I have been asked for the recipe half a dozen times on the spot. lol I am making a couple more batches for our christmas eve brunch. guessing the recipe will be requested again. Thanks for an awesome recipe!!!!

jo l says:

Tasted really good but my popcorn (air popped Orville Red) was soggy :( Not sure if it has to do with not baking it long enough or our Florida humidity.

Rachel says:

This made for a delicious Christmas Eve late night treat!

Ginger says:

Thanks!!! This taste just like Cracker Jacks!!!! It is the best popcorn recipe I have ever tried!!! =)

Ginger says:

This is the best recipe for popcorn I have ever tried!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!! =)

Heather says:

First off,I just love your blog. Pretty much everything you guys post looks amazing….and your cookbook is awesome (can’t wait for the next one to come out).
    Second, I tried making this popcorn just now to give as part of a homemade gift I need for tomorrow and it is so delicious! I think I’m going to have to make another batch just for me and my husband! Keep up the good work guys! :)

Heather L.

Donna Womack says:

When I made my carmel corn it came out dull and not shinny. What did I do wrong.? The recipe said to bring it to a boil and then turn the fire down to med. low. and cook for 5 min. stirring constantly. then add the baking soda and vanilly and pour over the corn. mix well and put in a 250 degree oven and cook for one hour stirring every 15 min.

You probably didn’t do anything wrong; sometimes mine comes out shiny and sometimes dull- but it always tastes the same!

Julie says:

how many calories are in this?!!!

Molly says:

This looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for the idea…and the Sugar Rush!

Louise says:

I followed a sweet trail from this sweet collection to your blog…and I’m glad I did! Who couldn’t love a handful of cinnamon bun popcorn!!!

Barbara says:

So easy. So yummy. The Girl Scouts are going to LOVE this snack this afternoon!

Robin says:

Sarah @ourbestbites, can you use I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter instead?What would make it different in taste?

You can try it. It will definitely taste better with butter, but will probably still work with a substitute. I can’t make any promises though!

Glenda says:

So I made this popcorn this morning to give as a gift. I used 2 bags of microwave “natural” popcorn. I followed the directions exactly. When I went to stir the mixture into the popcorn it hardened really quickly and I had a difficult time getting all the popcorn coated. You mentioned it should be gooey at this point and my was rather dry. I went ahead and baked it and it tastes delicious….it just seems to dry and not all the popcorn is totally coated. Did I use too much popcorn, or did my microwave cook faster and it got overdone? I really want to know and then try again because this stuff is amazing!

I’d measure the popcorn because 2 bags is probably too much. That’s probably the problem. If your carmel is hard that that point, I’d cook it a little less as well.

Stephanie says:

I have made this recipe a few times.. I just have to say it is beyond amazing!!! I usually have to bake it about 10 minutes longer but that depends on how exact I was with my popcorn measurements. It is soooo good!! Unfortunately I can eat one batch myself in two days… that would be the only con.. :D

vanessa says:

I have to say that aside from the amazing recipe, I enjoy your writing. Witty and fun without being too cutesy. Made me smile a bunch, as opposed to the eye rolling I usually do. Looking forward to making this.

Moriah Cochran says:

Thank you, Thank you for this recipe!! I love it! I have made it multiple times and it is a hit with everyone!!

ingrid says:

oh my gosh sooooooooooooooooooooooo good

I have admired this recipe from afar for a long time and I finally made it today. I added 1/2 cup imitation bacon bits to the popcorn and pecans then sprinkled some more bits over the popcorn after I drizzled it with the white chocolate. I am shipping this to someone so I didn’t want to use real bacon. TO DIE FOR!!!

Randi says:

I have been stalking this recipe for months and months and I finally made it tonight. It is so yummy. My only problem was I think I used too much popcorn and didn’t cook it for long enough in the oven. Also I used nut pieces and next time I’ll stir them into the caramel because they are now just carmelized little nut tidbits at the bottom of my popcorn. Oh, well! This was my first popcorn experiment.

Audree says:

Is the caramel supposed to be nice and smooth? I added 1/2 t. of cayenne with the baking soda and the caramel was kind of grainy but still YUMMY! Maybe it needs to be added with the cinnamon to avoid that?

Audree says:

Also, How long do you think this will stay fresh in cellophane gift bags? Thank you in advance!

[...] 1. Cinnamon bun popcorn (cinnamon caramel corn with pecans and white chocolate) via Our Best Bites [...]

[...] Advertisement:           1. Cinnamon bun popcorn (cinnamon caramel corn with pecans and white chocolate) via Our Best Bites [...]

Stacey says:

How long does this popcorn stay fresh???

Crystal says:

I used mushroom popcorn (gourmet ball shapes popcorn) that I special ordered. Made a huge difference. This kind is designed for heavier coatings. Aaahmazing!

[...] Caramel Corn (Recipe adapted from Our Best Bites) [...]

[...] season. I wanted to take something tasty to serve as a party favor and thought this variation on Our Best Bites’ Cinnamon Bun popcorn was the perfect fall [...]

Amy says:

LOOKS REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD

Tiffany in Utah says:

BEST popcorn on the planet!!!! I was making it for a large group and made several batches. The first batch, I tried with honey, and sure, it works and tastes good, but not AWESOME! (I do not recommend using honey!!) I made most batches with Dark Corn Syrup (which has no High fructose corn syrup in it….so surely it’s a hair better than light corn syrup….right!??!), then I tried a batch with light corn syrup also, and the only difference I noticed was a tad lighter color. This stuff is highly addictive!! :) My whole family LOVED it!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!! I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!!

Cherie says:

Has anyone tried just reg butter flavored popcorn? If so how did it turn out?

Holly says:

I was looking for a good caramel popcorn recipe to use to for my daughter to sell at a school event and happened across this site. I laughed so much, you are awesome and you make me feel connected in some way. What a delight to read your ponderings and comments. This will for sure find its way to my Bookmarks.
    Rock on!

Jules says:

Question: I need to make a ton of this as a Christmas Eve give away for our party. Can I make ahead and freeze until Christmas Eve? When does this expire? I love this treat. sooooooooooooo yummy.

Erica says:

I saw this on pinterest and had to try it! It is amazing, tastes exactly like cinnamon buns with icing! Used two bags of lightly buttered popcorn with about 1.5 times the recipe. Delicious, thanks!

maureen says:

this makes cooking more fun when someone has a good sense of humor when telling how to make something. it looks like a lot of work but could be worth a try. and the humor used makes me want to try it. i also love cinnamon.

[...] 1. Cinnamon bun popcorn (cinnamon caramel corn with pecans and white chocolate) can be found here. [...]

[...] Cinnamon Bun Popcorn – a variation on caramel corn, this is easy to mix up and looks so festive in a cellophane treat bag or holiday tin. [...]

[...] adapted from Our Best Bites   Save Print [...]

Sandie says:

I believe this is ok for all diets out there. Popcorn is a diet food right. Pecans are a good,,,, cinnamon no problem there. Yep diet food.

Rachel Taylor says:

I had to laugh in pain when i read the part about the bowl because I have a child hood scar from making popcorn balls.

Judy Dragonetti says:

How do I get a printed copy of just the recipe without all of the pictures and comments?

I would like to make the cinnamon bun popcorn.

Thanks.

My mom introduced this to me last year at Christmas (2011). It is my favorite and I’m making it up for our New Year’s Eve celebrations tonight. I came to your site to get the recipe again, and was so excited to see it on today’s post. Happy New 2013!!!

Jeanette says:

Looks yummy! I am wondering how long you think this will stay fresh if kept in an airtight container. I would love to mail some to a friend. Is there another popcorn recipe on your site that would stay fresh longer and mail better? Thanks!

Barb says:

OMG! Talk about decadence!

Sara Viramontes says:

Did anybody else’s popcorn burn in the oven? :( i’m trying to figure out what I did wrong?

[...] after scouring the interwebs for a gourmet popcorn recipe. Then I came across this recipe from Our Best Bites. I adapted it slightly to make it my own…aka, I left out the [...]

[...] they will love you for this one.  This treat NEVER lasts for long in our house.  With thanks to Our Best Bites for the recipe, let’s get started!  (Complete recipe [...]

K Bliss says:

Hello, I was just wondering how many people this recipe can serve. I plan on making this for my daughter’s Valentine’s Day party and need to have enough for about 20 kids. I just dont want to go through the steps more than once. I was thinking of possibly doubling the recipe.

[...] Try your hand at making some gourmet popcorn [...]

How do I print just the recipe. I don’t see a print button. Thanks

carol s says:

How do I print just the recipe? Would appreciate knowing.
      Thank you! Just discovered your site. Great!!

[...] by Our Best Bites – For recipe click HERE [...]

Joyce says:

This is very much like the caramel corn I have been making for 30 years. I never add the cinnamon so you inspired me to try that next time! I think the best outcome is from corn popped the old fashioned way rather than in a MW though I bet air popped is good too. We usually make it and send to work and friends who promptly eat it right up!

Linda says:

Hi!

I am a diabetic and there is NO WAY this recipe can be adapted, as often happens. However, I laugh so hard every time I read your site I come back many times just to be amused!!

Lots of times, though, I can adjust have a bit of something sinful so keep on writing! After all, it’s all about the kids……………

[...] Marshmallow Popcorn Treats, Dark Chocolate Popcorn S’mores Popcorn, Cashew Caramel Popcorn, Cinnamon Bun Popcorn, Spicy Caramel Popcorn Candied Popcorn, Cranberry-Orange and White Chocolate Popcorn, Pretty [...]

Kathy says:

Wow! I made this last night, it was easy to make
    And tastes like something you would pay lots
    Of money for! Going to make this again!

Melinda says:

I just made this and it is delicious! Instead of the 1/4 c corn syrup, I used 1/4 c water and it turned out great! Thanks!!!

[…] 6.  Cinnamon bun popcorn (cinnamon caramel corn with pecans and white chocolate) via Our Best Bites […]

Christy says:

Looks delicious! Would love to see a post with the most popular OBB recipes!

JR says:

Yum! I made this last night and added some pretzels pieces rather than the pecans to the popcorn before baking…They ate the entire pan. Thanks for sharing. I am definitely keeping this one.

amanda says:

Tip– use a big brown paper grocery sack to mix everything. Just dump it all in and shake. Makes it so much easier!

Kate says:

I’ve made this recipe quite a few times and everytime I’m amazed at how good it turns out and how simple it is. The bigger the bowl to mix the popcorn in the easier it is. I always spill a bunch and I’m using the biggest bowl I have.

[…] up some valentines, packaged them up and gave them to our neighbors and teachers. This recipe from Best Bites is easy and everyone begged us for the recipe. This time around, we’re adding cinnamon hearts […]

[…] made 2 batches of Cinnamon Bun Popcorn.  The recipe I used can be found here.  Doubling the recipe made 13 of these addictive, mouthwatering popcorn […]

[…] Cinnamon Bun Caramel Corn via Our Best Bites […]

Ginnette says:

I want to share this recipe sending it by email… Do you have that option… I dont see it.

[…] Just imagine a cinnamon roll in popcorn form. Just with a hint of white chocolate as well. This is what you’ll here. Try the recipe. […]