Okay, so…over the last year-and-a-half, Sara and I have posted nearly 300 recipes. 300. And not a single one of them contains cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, cream of celery, cream of ANYTHING soup. It’s kind of something we’ve prided ourselves on, not because we’re gigantic food snobs or anything, but mostly because a lot of stereotypical Mom/home cook recipes have cream of _________ as their backbone and we wanted to show people that you can still cook amazing, easy, home-cooked meals without condensed soup.

The problem is that we have recipes that we like that do call for creamy condensed soups. And, let’s face it, those soups aren’t exactly tasty–when was the last time you popped open a can of cream of mushroom from the red and white can, mixed it with some milk, and heated it up? I tried it once when I was in high school and…never again.
I found this recipe for homemade cream of chicken soup awhile back and I love that it’s distinctly chicken-y. It’s kind of like a creamy chicken gravy, something you can make as thick or as thin as you want or need for your recipe. While not as completely footloose and fancy free as a can of Campbell’s, it’s super easy and actually tastes good rather than some kind of pasty filler.

Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt (more or less; taste to test)
1/4 teaspoon parsley
dash of paprika
1 1/2 cups milk, divided
3/4 cup flour
In medium-sized saucepan, bring chicken broth, seasonings, and 1/2 c. of the milk to a boil. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk and flour.

Add to boiling mixture and continue whisking briskly until mixture boils and thickens. Cook until desired consistency is reached, keeping in mind that it will continue to thicken as it stands.

Makes the equivalent of 2 cans of condensed cream of chicken soup.

I’m not just posting this for the heck of it! :) On Wednesday, I’ll be posting a fabulous recipe for what may be the most perfect, fall-like/wintery, quintessential American comfort food out there!

Joy says:

Thank you! I already have a freezer stocked with homemade cream of mushroom but I've been saying for MONTHS that I need a cream of chicken recipe! I love to dump it in the crock pot with some boneless pork chops & some Ranch seasoning.

Libby says:

Thanks for this recipe! I had no idea it was possible to make homemade cream of chicken soup. I've always been using the canned stuff. Not anymore thanks to this post :)

That Girl says:

I was going to ask if you can freeze this but I see Joy said that she does……thanks Joy! lol

I cant wait to try this. We dont use Cream of soups because they make me ill…literally.

Steph says:

Very cool! I don't like using the canned stuff either…and I've tried one different recipe, but I'll definitely have to try this one too!

Barbara Bakes says:

I often don't make a recipe that calls for canned soup because I'd rather have something fresh and tasty! I'll have to give this a try!

Ariana says:

This recipe looks delicious. I'll have to give it a try once it's cooler here :)

Jill says:

For the record, I love me some cream of mushroom soup from the people in the red can! :) I grew up on it and sometimes warm up a can for dinner—I know, I know. I will be trying your recipe though. It looks delicious!

April says:

Mmm… I also love canned cream soups, as well as the tomato soup. AND recipes using them! But nothing beats a good homemade soup, especially with fresh bread on cool days. That being said, I love the idea of making your own, freezing it and then popping it into a recipe! Fun and CHEAP! Sounds good to me :)

sherri says:

I do used the canned variety in some of my recipes but would welcome the homemade version!

Michele says:

This is fantastic! Maybe you can make one up for cream of celery? I do not like using those soups either but there is one recipe that my bf's mom makes that he loves (it is very tasty) and it used that soup. I'd love to learn how to make it from scratch. I feel awful every time I open that can. lol

Kelsee says:

Question: Is this something that could be made in bulk and frozen? It looks awesome and would be much better that the alternative. But being a busy mom, I like the grab and go method and if this is something that would freeze well, I will make a HUGE batch and then just set it out in the morning for dinner that night. Let me know. kelseeandzoe@gmail.com

Shelly says:

I think it is great that you have so many other dinners that don't use that glumpy stuff. I have a recipe that uses powered milk, so you can store it in your food storage and there is way less sodium and no isky preservatives.

Sarah Lenhart says:

One of the things I love about y'all's blog is that you don't follow the standard American homecook rule of using "Cream of ___" in 95% of your recipes. I can't stand the smell or look of the stuff in the can (besides the fact that it's pretty unhealthy) so I've made it a point to not use it.

However, I am happy to see that y'all have a better, homemade, approach to getting the cream of chicken ingredient into your recipe. I'm looking forward to seeing what it is!

Anne says:

Looking forward to Wednesday's recipe!

~L says:

I'm interested in having a healthier version than the canned to use in the stuff i make also, but…you said it makes equivalent of 2 cans of condensed soup. Is that in the condensed form or prepared as a soup? And i'm curious about freezing it also.

Kate says:

As far as freezing goes, I've never actually tried it, but I WANT to! :) It looks like Joy has frozen a similar recipe with success and I'll definitely try it next time I make some and let you guys know how it goes! :)

~L–It's the equivalent of 2 cans of condensed soup, no water or milk added. :)

Trimble says:

So excited to try this! Thank you!

Kate says:

I love your blog!! I love how you show all the ingredients and the step by step process in pictures! Thank you for the inspiration to try new and yummy recipes.. keep it up!

stephchows says:

mmmm sounds good to me :) I love my aunts cream of chicken soup… but lets face it, there is NOTHING healthy about it LOL

mistie says:

I've been looking for a recipe like this for a long time because I hate using the canned stuff! Thanks!

Gina Lee says:

love your blog and i do love canned cream of chicken soup. infact, i just finished my bowl of soup while reading this post. i add milk to it to make it creamy and crackers for a crunch. i never would have tried it but it's my nephew favorite soup. i'm with him. it's delicious.

Beth says:

I received my bottles of Uncle Bob's Special Sauce today. Thanks it is GREAT! The bottles were delivered as my husband and I sat down to dinner tonight so we poured some on our plate and dipped our grilled chicken in it. YUMMY! Thanks again I appreciate it! I also can't wait to try the soup recipe it looks wonderful.

Abby says:

almost all of my grandmother's recipes contain cream of "blank" soups. I can't imagine the canned stuff is all that healthy. thanks for this!

Jaimie says:

This looks great! We have about a bazillion cans of cream of chicken in the pantry, but this recipe might just take those cans to the food drive.

darnold23 says:

I love homemade cream of chicken soup. The flavor can be intensified so much by using your own stock. Thanks for all of your great recipes. I would love for you to join me for Crock Pot Wednesday at diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com.

Nathaly says:

I love when you guys post something that I can alter and use for my little allergic child. I just made this with soymilk and will be using it in a recipe tonight. Thanks!

CaSaundraLeigh says:

I never even thought of making homemade condensed soup! Althought it's probably cheaper to just buy it, I am still a big fan of homemade for the customization factor!

boisebyufans says:

This is why I love to read your blog!! You make family friendly food and it tastes amazing. Your cream of chicken soup recipe tasted great in my homemade chicken pot pie. Thanks!!

Alicia De la Peña says:

I just love all your ideas!

Farmer Jen says:

Wonderful! Thank you.

sha says:

I love that cream of (blank) soups can be made at home. Have you looked at the ingredient panel? Major sodium-lmited so I am always looking for fun ways I can make the canned stuff. Thanks for your great site!!;)

lily says:

I've just made this and it seems to taste like paste. I think next time I'll make a rue of butter, onions and less flour before adding the chicken broth, spices and milk. Something seems to be missing in the flavor. Anyone else tried to do a rue first?

Misty says:

Proud to say I just made Cream of Beef- I followed this recipe except used a steak seasoning and beef broth. I can't stand Cream of Mushroom and was dying for some Green Bean Casserole. Tastes yummy and hoping my casserole tastes good too! (I make the chicken version all the time and LOVE it!)

Bridget Bergstrom says:

Just made my first batch for the chicken pot pies! It came out clumpy… do you think that means I didn’t mix the flour enough before adding it to the boiling broth? I even tried whipping it with my mixer. I am sure no one will notice in the pies…

Bridget–My guess is that it clumped up while it was cooking and then it was too late (think dumplings). So yep, next time, just make sure it’s whisked until smooth (and keep whisking while it’s cooking) and you’ll be in business! :)

Cat says:

I just made this soup today and didn’t realize it was a “condensed” version. It was sooooo thick. I had to keep adding liquid until it was the right consistency (about another 3 cups of water/milk), so I have a lot – I mean alot – left over. That’s ok, it will freeze. Thanks for the recipe. Its great for using up left over chicken and the carcass from those pre-roasted chickens.

Sally says:

Thanks for this recipe. My husband has food allergies, and I can simply substitute the flour measurement with his allergy free flour, and thus, I can make him cream of chicken that is wheat, soy, and corn free!!!!!!!!!!!! YEEEHAAAH!!!

Tonie says:

Thanks for the Cream of Chicken recipe! Can you share one for Cream Of Mushroom?

Carole says:

Our moms did not use ready made chicken broth in their soups. They made their own using chickens from the store or farm. I also do this. I keep some of the broth from making chicken soup and I put it in the freezer. It’s always handy. Just defrost and use as you would the packaged grocery store stuff.

Jill says:

I made this gluten free by subbing 3/8ths cup of cornstarch instead of the flour. I’ve even frozen it though it’s got kind of a funny consistency when defrosted but it’ll still mix up fine into a recipe calling for a can of cream of chicken. I’ve also made a mushroom broth to make this as cream of mushroom soup! I love this recipe! I even had a friend come over and demonstrated how easy it was (used regular flour for her).

Lisa says:

How long would this stay good in the freezer? I’m trying to decide how big of a batch I want to make. Thanks!

I have no idea! I’m sorry! I’ve never even frozen it, so I’m not 100% sure what the consistency would be like.

• Chelle says:

I froze this the last time I made it. When it thaws it kind of separates, but it worked fine when tossed into the pot pie recipe. I think it would be kind of icky eaten like a cream soup after being thawed. The taste was fine, just the texture was all off. Hope this helps someone :) My guess would be 3-6 months in the freezer. Closer to 6 in a deep freeze.

Gina Lutz says:

I doubled this recipe and added mixed veggies and chicken chunks then poured it into a pie crust to make a fabulous tasting chickenpot pie… So tasty thanks for the recipe it was just what I needed to make this meal wonderful

Love the idea of this recipe. Does anyone have a cream of mushroom soup recipe that they would be willing to share?

Savanna says:

Tried it, loved it! Thanks so much! I also like mixin an egg or two in the for an extra boost of flavor and texture, all you gotta do is crack open the egg and mix the whites and yoke in with the soup and let it boil together for the last 5-10 minutes. Tastes delicious, hope you try it too

Dianna says:

I tried that tonight and it came out great. Thank’s.

Marissa says:

Hi Kate,
    So I’m going to make the funeral potatoes for Easter, but I’m going to try homemade cream of chicken soup for the first time. Can I substitue cup for cup in the funeral potatoes recipe with your homemade soup? The soup looks so liquidy, it made me worried. Thanks!

It should sub cup for cup, but you’re right, it’s not quite as thick as the condensed soup in it’s condensed form. If you’re making funeral potatoes though, I’d actually recommend going with the classic can just for flavor purposes!

[...] something nutritious. This really is tasty and easy and if you were feeling ambitious you could use homemade cream of chicken soup instead of canned but my kids complain when I have tried it because it just isn’t quite the [...]

[...] thoroughly, then reduce heat to low until ready to use. For the cream of chicken soup, I used this Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup recipe from Our Best [...]

[…] 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce 1 can cream of chicken soup or 1 cup homemade cream of chicken soup 1 cup sour cream 13⁄4 cups milk 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, […]

[…] and so easy and if canned cream of potato soup gives you the heebie jeebies, you can always make a homemade version–just omit the poultry seasoning and simmer it with 1/2 pound of chopped red potatoes until […]

Lacey says:

Made this and added Velveta cheese and made cheese sauce for chicken spaghetti !!! Delicious!!!

[…] HOMEMADE CREAM OF CHICKEN**Ingredients: […]