Some of you may be wondering why there is an image of Michael Scott, branch manager of Dunder Mifflen Scranton, on the beginning of this post. Well let me start by saying that this isn’t actually Sara typing, it’s her husband Eric. If you’re an avid reader of this blog you may feel like you know Sara. You might know she’s obsessed with chocolate and limes. You might know she can’t swallow a plain cherry tomato even if her life depended on it. You might even know she cringes at the word “panties.” However, one thing you might not know is that she’s completely accident prone. Especially in the kitchen. Which is why it didn’t come as too much of a surprise this morning when my dear, sweet wife grabbed the handle of a skillet just moments after it came out of a 500-degree oven. Yeah, ouch. For those of you who are fans of The Office and have seen this famous episode, you know the rest of the story. One clean CT scan later…we’ve determined that Sara’s okay, too. Unfortunately, her hand now has frostbite from sitting in a bath of freezing cold ice all day, so she has asked me to type for her. I assure you that she will quickly recover and be back to writing witty commentary soon…thank goodness for bubble wrap.

The recipe today is awesome. I’m an average guy, so I think it’s awesome because it tastes amazing. But Sara tells me it’s awesome because there’s NO yeast in it. Just a bunch of other random stuff that somehow lets it fake being a real cinnamon roll. No yeast means no rising and no waiting and no nightmares for all of you yeast-o-phobes. You just mix it, roll it, bake it, and eat it. I think even a guy could do it. (And by guy, I’m not talking about the food-blogging guys who are actually reading this post, I’m talking about the average Joe who likes to eat, but probably doesn’t even know where things such as baking soda are even stored in their kitchen. Sara tells me I have to specify this or she’ll get hate mail from hoards of offended man-foodies. For the record, I totally hooked Sara on our first date when I impressed her with my mad cooking skills. Two words: Boboli Pizza.)

Alright, from this point on I’m turning it over to Sara and typing exactly what she says because this is taking way too long with her making me delete all of the inappropriate commentary. (But come on, she actually told me to write something about disliking soggy nuts. Really? You think I can let that one go?)

Eric here. One last thing. If you’ve ever wondered if Sara really is the young mother of two she claims to be and not some scary old man, some of you can finally know the answer. If you’re in Utah, tune into KSL’s Studio 5 this Thursday (Sept. 17th) to see Sara cooking up a storm. And let’s all pray her hand is functioning by then.

becca says:

Best. Post. Ever. Seriously, Eric should be a guest typist more often. I'm still laughing… I saw the first line on facebook and I knew immediately what picture of Michael Scott was going to be there when I opened the blog LOL.
    But really, these look/sound amazing. I just might have to make some tomorrow!
    Oh and feel better, Sara :)

Valerie says:

I totally agree!!! Eric, you’re hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sara, I hope your hand feels better soon!!!

becca says:

And be grateful it was your hand on a skillet and not your foot in a George Foreman grill!

Kathryn says:

Thank you for including us yeast-o-phobes in your recipe share…Husband gets props for writing and for having an excellent sense of humor. You get props for being 100% awesome.

Christy says:

Kuddos to hubby for writing your post and sharing his gift of "wit" with us!! So sorry to hear about your hand, hope it feels much better today. GREAT recipe!! I'm definitely trying this one, especially with no yeast. Thanks for sharing.

sherri says:

Sorry about your accident- sweet hubby for filling in.

The rolls look amazing.

Libby says:

I'm sorry to hear about your accident! That was sweet of your hubby to type the post though :) I am a yeast-o-phobe so this recipe would be right up my alley. Thanks for posting it :)

Memória says:

Oh, no! I'm so sorry that you hurt your hand. I hope you'll be feeling better soon.

I enjoyed the post from your husband. Make sure he knows that plenty of men can cook, and not all women can cook. So, gender has absolutely nothing to do with one's cooking abilities. So, your hubby could definitely make this yummy-looking dish for you one day! :)

Kathi and Ryan says:

Hey! Who knew Eric was so funny??? Total suckage about the hand, though. I'll have to see if I can watch the Studio 5 thing online somehow. OH, and totally appropriate picture since The Office finally starts back up this week. Wahoo!

Oh, and yeah, the rolls look yummy. I will have to be trying them.

Brooke - in Oregon says:

YEEOUCH! Here's to getting better quickly.

Great job on the post Eric and for being a good hubby :) these sound amazing!

LollyChops says:

You are the bestest Eric. So funny…. and you can cook too. I am impressed. Ron does a killer job of supporting me… but as for cooking… there he's not so great (you should see him "scramble" eggs…shudder).

Speaking of Ron… I am pretty sure he could polish off this entire pan of no yeast sweet rolls in one sitting (with a gallon of milk).

Feel better Sara!

gina says:

Wow, great food and entertainment too! I read your blog all the time, but have never commented; have tried all kids of receipes though. ( I love lime too!) Can't wait to try these rolls, and your husband is hilarious. Not to say you aren't funny as well!

stephchows says:

Oh yikes!! Feel better Sara!! These sounds amazing. I love yeast less cinnamon rolls :) I love when John does guest blogs for me, to fun. I say bring in all the husbands to make us laugh every so often :)

tanalicious says:

hah!! please have him guest more often, complete with dirty jokes. cant wait to try the rolls.

Erin says:

delurking to say i hope your hand heals quickly and your husband is very entertaining!
    love your blog. keep up the good work!

Maria says:

I hope your hand heals soon! I will try to watch on Thursday. I did Studio 5 once and it was so fun. Everyone is so nice. You will be GREAT!

Bwahahahaha. . .

Seriously – this post made. my day. I just want to die right now – laughing.

But not before I devour a pan of those rolls.

No yeast?? for real?? You ARE magic, Sara.

TheFitnessFreak says:

I have a no-rise dough recipe and it is so easy and yummy! I'm anxious to try this one too! Thanks!

Kira says:

Sorry about your hand Sara, but it was pretty amusing to have your husband type the recipe. THe Cinnamon/orange rolls look easy and delicious. Looking forward to trying it!

Steph says:

I love that my word verification is "fanism" I'm definitely a fan :)
    Hope your hand gets better quickly Sara! It was you who needed the bandaid at Maceys too, wasn't it?

Kara@ Creations by Kara says:

So sorry about your hand, that is the pits! Your hubs was hysterical, I thoroughly enjoyed this post. And I can't wait to see you on Studio 5. I love that show!!

Nicole Chow - HealthyChow.com says:

Your blog is AWESOME! I love it! I can't believe I just found it today. Keep up the great work and the amazing recipes! BTW, I feel as if I can smell the orange cinnamon rolls through the computer screen. I hope your hand feels better, Sara!

Alicia W. says:

I can't wait to try these! I am so excited to not have to wait for them to rise! I hope your hand feels better quickly!

Kourt says:

These look really good and easy too! Congratulations on the Studio 5 segment. I love that show and will be sure to set my DVR and tell all my friends to watch too. Hope your hand feels better soon!

Andrea says:

I am so sorry about your hand, Sara–burns are SO not fun! (and I am speaking from experience. Aloe vera and tea tree oil helped me)

I'm NOT a yeast-o-phobe, but these look awesome. Sometimes you just need a quick homemade treat (which sometimes doesn't go together). My husband and I have been dessert-free for 2 1/2 weeks (trying to cut back in the three week space between kids' birthdays), but guess which dessert recipe I'm trying on Sunday–these look divine!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction says:

Very funny post! It's always fun to hear what food blogger's other halves think of their cooking/blogging/etc! Sorry to hear about your hand, Sara! This sounds like the perfect recipe for me – I always want last-minute breads/rolls but don't have the time to wait for them to rise. I will give this a try next time!

lilsexyma0506 says:

Sara I hope you feel better, definitely know how that feels and I went ouch when I started to read that.

Eric.. I would definitely not be able to hold back with the soggy nuts comment. LOL.

Charna

Shelise says:

I admit I am a yeast-o-phobe. It scares the crap out of me. I try it from time to time but its probably the one reason I dont make my bread from scratch. (believe me, I've tried, it just never turns out very well)

MMM.. orange. Im excited.

Oh these look SO good!!!
    YOur hubbys writing is just hilarious!!!Feel better!

kelly gibson says:

michael scott is REGIONAL manager!

Too funny! I love your blog and can't wait to try these – they look so much better than from a can! Also, I've wanted to ask since you made the pizza rolls – what kind of pan IS that blue one? It's so pretty!

Chanel11 says:

I'm a yeast-phobe, so I was really interested to see how these turned out – they look pretty good to me

Miriam says:

I came on here today craving orange rolls. No joke. Do you think there's a world where it's acceptable to feed my children orange rolls for lunch? Oh yeah, the world where I'm 8 months pregnant and sick, the world I'm living in. Mustering all my energy to make these instead of doing any housework. That's rational right?

loveulongtime says:

HAHAHAHA that totally made my day. you must train eric in the way of the jedi sarah…
    i would totally read his blogs.
    and LOL at the office reference!
    hope your hand de-cripples fast sarah!

Mandy says:

Hi-lar-i-ous. Seriously, your husband is a great guest typist. I hope you are feeling better soon!

Abby says:

what a sweet hubby you have!! he is so funny. He just might have to guest post more often. I wouldn't be able to turn away a "soggy nuts" joke either, sorry :)

Those rolls look soooo yummy!

So sorry to hear about your hand.. i hope it's better in time for the show! wish I lived nearby so I could watch!

Christine says:

Get Better Soon Sara!

Coniqua says:

Your husband is a popular guy judging from the comments he might be able to author his own "food my wife cooks" blog. It was good of him to chip in. Hope your doing better soon.

Victoria says:

Oh man… Sara, sorry about the hand. I was making a stupid stupid (did I mention how stupid?) caramel sauce two weeks ago, and dropped butter into the mixture, so that 400-degree sugar splattered up onto my hands. I have been in bandages for two weeks. I am un-bandaging today, and maybe I'll post a pic of my witch hand on my blog. But seriously… kitchen burns are the WORST. Loved the guest post, however, and am very intrigued by the no-rise roll dough. Biscuit-like? I may have to try it… Thanks!

Laura says:

Interesting recipe. I'll have to give it a try. I'll also be watching for Sara on Studio 5!

Thanks for all of the well-wishes! My dumb hand is so much better today- at least I can type now! Hubby appreciates all of the nice comments too, I think I'll have him pinch-hit more often!

Victoria- OUCH. Geez girl, that sounds way worse than mine. And I feel bad our caramel sauce took part in it!

Jennifer- you've probably seen that blue dish a lot- it's my favorite! I use it a lot in my pics, lol. Ya know, I got it as a wedding gift years ago. I just searched the net to see if I could find the exact one and I don't see it. But it's made by Chantal and it's a 1 1/2 qt ceramic dish. It's like a pie plate (similar size) but the sides go straight up instead of flaring out. I looked for ceramic Chantal dishes on Amazon and found lots that look similar- I think it's one of their quiche pans. Love it!

laquillen says:

You should guest blog more often. I LOVE that episode of "The Office".
    Pam: "I'm sorry you cooked your foot."
    But seriously. These rolls look SICKENINGLY DELICIOUS. I dont' think I can make them. I would have to be locked up in mental institution after eating the whole pan of them and suffering from sugar-induced mania.

Hanna says:

OK– I went camping and grabbed the handle of a skillet that I was cooking on over a huge propane flame. Yes, I rode home from Jackson, WY. to SLC with my hand in ice, stopping at every gas station to refill the ice. After arriving home and finally submitting to going to Urgent Care. The first thing the nurse told me was to cover up the burn! She immediately wrapped my hand in gauze and taped it up and the pain went away almost INSTANTLY. She said when we keep the burn in the open or worse yet in ice or ice water, it keeps the nerves in a constant state stimulation. So next time you burn your hand, wrap it up. I bought some little 100% cotton white gloves from Walgreens and keep them in my first aid kit now– Best of Luck!

eve says:

These look amazing–I hope I get to test them out soon, yum! Great job man!

Hanna, my husband and I got into a, let's just call it "discussion" about this, lol. He happens to *work* at urgent care, so ya you'd think I'd trust the opinion of a professional! He kept telling me to take it off ice and wrap it but I tried and the pain wouldn't go away! It was horrible and I decided I'd rather carry around a bowl all day and get frost-bite than deal with the gauze-wrapped sting! lol

Ingrid says:

Hey, Eric! Great job on the post! I enjoyed your commentary.

Sara these look delish and easy! Right up my alley! Sorry to hear about your kitchen mishap. Hope your hand heals up soon (by Thursday)!
    ~ingrid

Justin says:

i'm definitely impressed you can get results like that with no yeast

jill says:

Wow, I bet dinner conversations are a riot at your house! I had to laugh about the soggy nuts thing…my husband SO would have left that in there!

Get well soon, I am off to the kitchen…I just bought a giant tub of cottage cheese!

Amy says:

That was great! Eric had me laughing out loud. I think you found an awesome helper. Love your blog and all of the fun stuff. I cant wait to try them. Thanks!

The Barkels says:

What a great husband to type for you!! I can only imagine the jokes he was making! Gotta love the office :) HOpe your hand is better!!

(Oh, and the recipe sounds good also!!!)

Shannon says:

Good Luck tomorrow Sara! We were just talking about "accidents" in the kitchen. So sorry to hear of another. Good thing you have Eric around. Loved the post. I will have to ask Eric about "soggy nuts" sometime. Too fun! Wishing you well in Utah and a safe return.

Shannon

Patti says:

That was so much fun to read. Way to go Eric! I'll be tuning in to see what's happening on Studio 5 this morning. Good luck Sara, and I hope your hand is healed quickly!

Leslie says:

I just want to know if you can taste the cottage cheese? I don't enjoy cottage cheese at all, so if I did not make this but was offered to try one . . .would I notice there was cottage cheese in it?

Absolutely, positively can NOT taste cottage cheese!

Leslie says:

Yeah!!! Thank you! I will give them a try!

MDtripmom says:

I'm glad I'm not the only accident prone one. I was searing the roast for the french dip sandwiches earlier this week and of course, got burned pretty badly by the oil. I now have some beauties on my right wrist and my left breast. The sandwiches were so yummy though!

Nice post, Eric. I was laughing out loud too. We made these this morning with the cinnamon filling and we LOVED them! I, too, am somewhat afraid of yeast/impatient when I have to wait for something like this so I was excited to try them. I think I really could have eaten the whole pan.

I think our food processor is smaller than yours, Sara. Everything just barely fit. Do you think I could use my blender or mixer next time to make it a little easier?

Emily- and everyone else: If you have a small food processor (or no processor at all) just puree the cottage cheese and liquid ingredients any way you can (sm. food processor, blender, etc.) and then mix the rest by hand.

Mary Ann says:

I just made these this morning- I have been looking for a quick alternative to the usual cinnamon roll and these were great! I made half of mine with the orange filling/glaze and half with my normal cinnamon roll filling/glaze.
    My family loved them!
    I don't know why I haven't seen your blog before now- it is great!
    Thanks for sharing this recipe and doing the step by step instructions- they were great, especially the one of the dough- I knew exactly when to get mine out of the food processor!

Erin says:

Oh my goodness!! LOVE love LOVE these rolls. Made them yesterday with my older kids-super easy! These just might now be our 'Cherished' cinnamon roll recipe. My husband isn't a fan of cottage cheese-imagine his surprise when he bit into his first roll and my son yells out "Dad, there's COTTAGE CHEESE in these"…too funny. His expression was priceless. He liked them so much he asked me to make more! And you're right, when you want super yummy cinnamon rolls right now, this is the perfect recipe.
    Thank you for this wonderful blog, for all your cooking talents and for the most amazing recipes. Not sure how I found you, but SO so glad I did!

elesa says:

So delicious. You totally made my conference weekend!

Trimble says:

Made the cinnamon rolls with the allspice and cloves. They taste so Christmas-y. LOVE them! Also, I don't have a food processor so I used a hand held blender for the cottage cheese part and then mixed the rest with a spoon and it turned out just fine. Just mentioning that so others don't think they can't make these without a food processor. Afterall, others need to join me in the quest to see how much weight we can gain from your recipes! ;)

Gina says:

I finally tried these and they were yummy. perfect for the yeast-o-phobe that I am. I don't do breads but they are like my favorite thing to eat so I decided this would be a good place to start.

Em says:

I made these this morning to take to a brunch for moms at church. They were a hit! I was so surprised at how easy the dough was to work with!
    I think next time I'll double the recipe (just pureeing the cottage cheese & liquids before handing mixing the dry in a bowl) and bake them in a 9×13. 12 rolls were just not enough! :)

emeraldcityjewel says:

I loved these! I took the super easy way out and patted half the dough into a pie plate then topped w/a mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon (dash of nutmeg and clove too) w/the butter then patted out the rest of the dough in my hand and topped it. 20 minutes in the toaster oven done. delish. Maybe not as pretty but lots easier than rolling!

miss macchiato says:

I stumbled upon this blog just a few days ago, and love it sooo much! My teenage daughter and I read it and laugh and cook good stuff we see here. Thanks a million!

ificould says:

Made these yesterday and I was NOT disappointed. I used fat free cottage cheese (because that's what I had in my fridge) and they turned out great. I linked this recipe on my blog http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/2010/04/no-yeast-cinnamon-rolls.html

Thanks for sharing!

boxergurl says:

I just happened upon your blog yesterday, and spent all day reading entry after entry. I found this recipe, and decided it was time to get over my fear of baking!

These were simply amazing! I'm so glad I decided to give these a try. I might have to graduate to yeast breads/rolls since these were so easy!

Janis says:

Funniest post ever! I'm still laughing. It looks like wit just runs in the blood of both of you.

I can't wait to try these.

Thanks for sharing.

Virginia's Designs says:

Hey Guess what?
    I just made these and they actually looked just like yours. Who woulda thought?? I only had walnuts so used that. So good. Definately a keeper. Thak you!

Suhasini says:

Oops, I’ve done that too. Just one question: why would anyone be a yeast-o-phobe? Sounds so strange.

cricket says:

Can’t wait to try the cinnamon rolls. And Eric…well in three words Hil-ar-ious. You should let him sit in more often!!

Betsy says:

I’ll be honest… there’s a tiny part of me that hopes your hand takes an extra day or two to get better so we can get another post out of Eric! :-P That being said… feel free to FAKE your hand not being able to type and feel better right away! :)

Phyllis says:

Burn first-aid tip I just got on an email from from brother. This came from a medic working in the war. When you get a burn immediately immerse it in flour and let it stay there for 15 minutes (no water first or anything). One person they keep some flour in the refrigerator thinking the cold might be even better. They claim it immediately takes the hurt away and blisters do not come. Healing is quick. I’m sure going to try that next time I burn myself. Just found our blog, I’m surely enjoying it. Thanks

charity says:

Glad to know my husband isn’t the only one who thinks us bloggers might be creepy old men pretending to be domesticated women! Great post, can’t wait to try the rolls. Hope you feel better.

Heather Ingram says:

LOVED this! Good thing they make us laugh every day, right Sara? ;)

Brandy says:

Sara LOVED the post; my DH is an Eric too so I’m partial to Erics. Please RUN do not walk to you nearest CVS and buy some WaterJel BurnJelPlus. I promise you will not regret it. It is AMAZINNG stuff; my mom makes sure EVERY person in our family has some. I keep our bottle in our kitchen…. we are kinda accident prone her as well.

Hilarious! The rolls sound great too…

Bridget says:

Can you do this without using a food processor? All I have is a mini 2 cup one and my blender is a piece of crap, so I can’t even use that instead! I might try pureeing the cottage cheese and buttermilk (just so the cottage cheese is smooth) and then stir everything else in. Guess what’s on my Mother’s Day list? Yep! A big food processor!

Patti says:

I remember seeing that segment on TV when you had just fried your hand. You pulled it off without a hitch. Mostly. Wasn’t it for your caramel corn?

Diana says:

I made the Orange Rolls last night and they were so good. Thanks for another yummy recipe!!!

Stephanie says:

Just made the orange rolls! This recipe saved me – I had another recipe that called for eggs – but I just hard-boiled all my eggs for Easter! Plus – I didn’t have to get up so early. I had another recipe for filling that I used – looking at your recipe it is exactly the same, but doubled. That was a mistake – the dish was overflowing and the bottoms are mush because I had too much filling. Next time I will just follow your recipe. Despite that – my husband said they are the best he has ever eaten – so thanks!

Valerie says:

Instead of the cottage cheese and buttermilk, I used 3/4 cup ricotta cheese and 1/3 cup Greek yogurt. The dough was fabulous! I sent them along with my husband for his ORV weekend and he’s going to let me know how well they reheat. They may not be a replacement for yeasty cinnamon rolls, but straight out of the oven with a slather of cream cheese icing made them hard to resist! 30 minutes from start to finish was not bad at all for a pretty convincing cinnamon roll stand-in. Yum!

I laughed my head off reading this. I love that episode of The Office, and loved your husband’s commentary. I agree, he should guest “type” more often!

auntiepatch says:

I made the orange rolls for brunch last Christmas. My sister-in-law ate 3 & took home another 4. She couldn’t get enough! Everyone else ate just 1 but I’m making them again this year.

heather says:

my family loves this recipe. i tried something different last night & turned it into a savory roll for our ham & bean soup. I substituted 3/4c. whole grain flour. I was low on cottage cheese, so i made the difference up w/ lowfat plain yogurt, & skipped the sugar. I followed the rest of the directions, but used butter, thyme, & garlic for the filling. As I was rolling it out i thought next time i’ll just use my biscuit cutter and not roll it as thin. This is a great versatile recipe! definite keeper : )

Kathryn Somers says:

i made these from the recipe in Fine Dining before I read it here. They are totally amazing. The addition of allspice and cloves is wonderful. They are a little different from yeast cinnamon rolls, but sooo good in their own way. They are better fresh, but if you gently microwave any leftovers ( and there aren’t usually many in our house) they are almost like fresh.

Corrie says:

Hi there – I have made these with the orange rolls filling a couple times. I would like to make these again for a gathering and have this question:

Do you know whether I can make them up to the point of baking, leave them in the fridge for a couple hours and then bake them as soon when I am home? I just want them to be really fresh when I serve them ….

Thanks in advance and also thanks for the great recipe, I love it!

Greetings from Vienna, Austria

Corrie

[…] you don’t want to use this dough, you can use one of our many other doughs like this one or this or this or this or this. So pick a dough. Whatever […]