We don’t usually post on the weekends, but I had to just sneak on here to share a yummy recipe I made today! I’m happy that so many of you loved the Chocolate Zucchini Bread we posted not too long ago and two of you readers made suggestions that inspired this non-chocolate version. Jana suggested adding orange to the chocolate loaf, so I did that here, and Beth wondered if the chocolate recipe would be just as yummy without the chocolate. So I made a few changes and voila! A delicious, super moist, gently spiced zucchini bread with a hint of orange. If you’ve still got zucchini in your garden, give this one a shot and let me know how you like it. Here’s the recipe- with no fluff! Enjoy your Sunday!

This makes great muffins too. I used papers in the muffin tin and cooked them at the same temp. Set your timer for 10-12 minutes and then keep an eye on them (cuz I can’t remember exactly how long they took!) I made 12 large muffins, 12 mini muffins, and one small loaf- so you definitely get a bunch!

Maria says:

I love zucchini bread. I never get sick of it!

Amber says:

I love how you only have 1/2 cup of oil in the recipe and 3 cups of zucchini, so many recipes call for a cup of oil and 2 cups of zucchini. I'm making this to take to our church picnic tomorrow! Thanks for the recipe.

veggievixen says:

i looooove zucchini bread! and making it chocolate is even better.

Barbara Bakes says:

I made your yummy chocolate version and was thinking about adapting it without chocolate. Glad to know it was great!

cindy says:

I'm hungry–I want a slice now. Thanks for sharing another yummy recipe.

Beth says:

Thanks Sara, I will have to give this one a try. I did make the chocolate version without the chocolate and my family liked it. Also, do you have any good peach recipes? I have tons to use.

Kate says:

Beth, I've read of people making the apple dumplings with peaches and having FANTABULOUS results! That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head, besides peach jam and peach pie and peach ice cream…yum.

oooh, I love Kate's idea of peach dumplings!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction says:

Looks beautiful! I loved the chocolate zucchini bread, so I'm sure I will love this, as well!

mowsquaz says:

Hello, I love this site and have found quite a few keeper recipes, and can't wait to try others. I do have one question about this: If I want to make muffins, do I need to adjust the cooking time and/or temp? If so, what would the new info be? Thanks!

Muffins work great. Cook at the same temp, just watch the time. I made the chocolate zucchini bread recipe into muffins last night and I think it took about 12 minutes- but that's just an estimate, so keep an eye on them! I also used papers. It makes a whole bunch too- so plenty for eating and sharing!

mowsquaz says:

Thanks for the info! I'm hoping my son will eat a muffin for lunch at school. He's been very picky lately, his lunches have gone uneaten, and I figure this is a way to get at least one veggie in him. I just hope I can leave them alone long enough for him to try one …

Michelle says:

Just pulled these out of the oven a few minutes ago (I did the muffins). Just had a taste, and YUM!!!!! They're for a mom's brunch tomorrow morning. Thanks for the recipe!

Heileson Family says:

okay maybe I am an idiot but do you put the topping on before you bake it or after. It does not say and I jsut made them and realized I probably needed to put the topping on before I baked it. Ahh. It smells so good and the batter tasted awesome some I am really excited to eat it. Thanks again for helping my family add on the pounds and be happy. Just kidding.

you're not an idiot! Apparently I am for not specifying! You put it on before, so you're all good!

Emee says:

I totally loved this and so did my husband! It’s just the two of us though, what is the best way to store the extra loaf?

I’m glad you liked it Emee! If it’s wrapped up well, you can pop it in your freezer. Otherwise, just put it in an airtight container so it doesn’t dry out.

Lori says:

Waiting for this to come out of the oven and it smells GOOD. The print only version of the recipe does not specify when to put on the topping but the web version does. I have zucchini coming out my ears. Chocolate version is up next…

Melinda Kathriner says:

Ladies,I have been looking for a delicious zucchini bread recipe since the dawn of the Cretaceous!! I’m always tweaking recipes–rarely do I ever follow a recipe the same way twice. But after making this, I could NOT find anything to change about it. Not a DARN THING! Perfect the way it is. I’ve also used this batter in paper-lined muffin cups–sprinkle about 1 tsp. topping only on each one, and reduce time to about 15 minutes. THANK YOU!!!!!!! (Tip: I line the bottom of my bread pan with a rectangle of parchment paper for easy removal.)

Jamie says:

Thanks! Just what I needed today.

I was a bit short on zucchini, so I popped in a ripe banana. It went over really well with the kids. (And so did the sugary top!)

My muffins needed 20 minutes. My small loaves needed 40.

Rella says:

I just made this yesterday and it turned out great! So moist and flavorful, perfect sweetness (I did cut the granulated sugar by 1/4 cup though and didn’t put the topping on). I loved the spiced flavor that the cloves lent to this bread. I couldn’t quite detect the orange zest flavor but I did use a small/medium sized orange because I didn’t have a large one, so I’ll use more next time. I love how this recipe uses sour cream to sub for some of the oil and add to the moisture. I also used light sour cream to reduce the fat content even more. Mine ended up yielding one 9×5 loaf bread and 10 standard sized muffins. I had to dramatically reduce the baking time on the bread though. I had it in for 33 minutes total, but had to cover it for the last five minutes or so because the sides were done but not the center. The muffins were done after 15 minutes though. I would definitely make this recipe again! I’ve been searching for a good zucchini bread recipe and this is definitely it! Thanks so much!

Kristen says:

This looks so great! I’ve been on the hunt for a zucchini bread recipe. One question: I’ve seen a couple other recipes that say to squeeze out the moisture from the zucchini after it has been grated. Should I do that or no? I didn’t see any indication in your recipe to do so and wanted to be sure. I can’t wait to use the extra zucchini I have for this! :)

Theresa says:

Used this recipe last night–yummy! I’ve made zucchini bread over the years and have never been 100% satisfied with other recipes. Other recipes I’ve tried are too greasy, too soggy, too dry, little flavor, but yours is definitely a keeper–thank you! I do have a question, with one batch I left the orange zest out and added chocolate chips. However I noticed the chocolate chips sank to the bottom–how do I prevent this? I thought of using mini choc. chips but that doesn’t give me enough of the choc. flavor I want. Any suggestions? (ps love your website!)

Stacy Marie says:

Yummy! I used Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream and all spice instead of ground cloves..*I didn’t have any ground cloves. Wow, this is super delish!

Beatrix Pinkal says:

I have made this bread twice and i LOVE IT!!!!Thank you! One question though with the coming holidays… do you think i could freeze it before i would bake it?

Kristi says:

I love zucchini bread. My kids love it too. I’m trying to get them to eat vegetables more. This bread is delicious as well as a little bit healthy with the zucchini. My kids hate zucchini lasagna, but love zucchini bread

Margaret says:

Could I use whole wheat flour? What would I need to change?

Shannon says:

Any chance this could be made gluten-free? If so, do you think I could simply replace the regular flour with a GF all purpose flour? I am also looking for a GREAT zucchini bread recipe and have yet to find one that fits the bill. This one sounds AMAZING!

Sabrina says:

So glad I found this recipe. I used both zucchini and yellow squash in this from my garden and it turned out absolutely delicious. This is a great recipe!

Have you tried this with whole wheat flour? I have a ton, and would like to use it up….

christy says:

I am wondering how this would be with Agave instead of sugar and substituting flax meal for some of the flour?

christy says:

I made the bread but made some healthy substitutes: 1/2 cup applesauce for oil, agave for all sugar,egg beaters for eggs, Greek yogurt for sour cream. The flavor was awesome but after I took the nice raised loaf out of the oven and let it cool, it dropped and was kind of like a bread pudding with crust. I need suggestions on how to make the substitutes and get a nice loaf??

christy says:

I also substituted 1/2 cup flax meal for a 1/2 cup of the flour.

[…] Zucchini Bread – Our Best Bites – Sep 06, 2009 · Zucchini Bread {makes 2 loaves} Recipe by Our Best Bites. 2 1/4 C flour 2 t cinnamon 1/8 t ground cloves 1/2 t salt 1 1/2 t baking soda 1/2 C canola oil… […]