So I’ve told you all before about my recipe search for “the one” in every culinary category. Well a semi-related aspiration of mine is to have a perfect, go-to recipe for every local produce when it it’s in season. I know, kind of big and kind of vague. But you know when you walk into the grocery store and first thing in that produce section is a huge display of whatever is in peak season at that very moment? And they’re beautiful, and on sale, and if you’re lucky, local? And you sit there staring at it thinking, “hmmm I should buy some of these, but what will I make with them?” Well every time something is is season I get inundated with requests for recipes. “What do I do with all of this zucchini??” (Answer) “How do I use up lots of tomatoes?” (Answer A. Answer B. Answer C.) “Someone just gave me a crate of cherries–help!” (Can do.) So right now, you guessed it. Butternut squash. I’ve had so many people ask me for a soup recipe but I didn’t have one! So I decided that would be the next thing to cross of my list and here we have one.

I have issues with a lot of squash soup recipes I’ve eaten. One is that they’re often too sweet. People try to make them taste like dessert with pumpkin pie spice and sugar and all that jazz. Not my thing. I want something I can dip a sandwich in and pie flavored dessert soup just won’t cut it. The other thing is the texture. Sometimes they’re just downright slimy. I packed this one with vegetables and and added a potato to add smoothness and also some bulk so it will fill you up better. Well, ya know, as well as a pureed vegetable soup can. And lastly, a lot of recipes have heavy cream in them. While that tastes pretty good, if I’m going to spend calories on a soup, I’d like it to be one with a pound of cheese, not a bunch of vegetables! So we thought this version was a homerun at our house and I hope you like it too!

In case you’re totally confused, this is a butternut squash. You could use a variety of other squashes for this recipe as well.

Butternut Squash Soup

Recipe by Our Best Bites
serves 6-8

1/2 T olive oil
1 T butter
1/2 C sliced carrots (abt 1 med carrot or 12 baby ones)
2 stalks celery, diced
1 C diced onion
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 medium butternut squash, (abt 4 cups peeled and diced)
1 medium potato, diced (about 2 C diced)
32 oz chicken broth (that’s one box/carton)
1 T brown sugar
1 1/2 t kosher salt
3/4 t dried sage
1 pinch cayenne pepper or a douse of hot sauce

In a large stock pot, heat olive oil and butter. When butter is melted add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic

Saute for 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add the squash.

Then add potato, sage, salt, red pepper, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer. Simmer with the lid on for 30-40 minutes or until everything is tender. Check a piece of squash and also a piece of celery and potato to make sure they area fork tender. Stir in 1 T brown sugar.

Use an immersion blender, or transfer soup to a regular blender and puree until smooth.

I topped mine with a little parsley so it didn’t look so plain! A small drizzle of heavy cream or sour cream is also tasty.

This is a really light soup, so it works great as an appetizer, or along side a sandwich and/or salad. I love it with croutons on top and grilled ham and cheese on the side.

Barbara Bakes says:

Sounds like another great recipe. I am passing the Inspiration Award on to you. Stop by my blog for details.

April says:

Yum. Right up my alley.

Wendy says:

Sweet! My Mom dropped off a couple butternut squash at my house and I've been trying to figure out what to make with them (besides slathering them in butter and cooking them in the oven). Thanks Sara!

Holman Family says:

I'm SOOO excited to try this … Thanks Much!

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen says:

Yum is right! It sounds great. Can't I just come eat at your house…pleassssssssseeeeeee!

Crystal says:

This looks great! I can't wait to try it. Love the recipes on this site! I have tried quite a few and love them!

Jessica says:

yum! I love fall squash soups. I need to make this ASAP.

Darci says:

This sounds just perfect for this fall weather, of course! I even planted butternut squash in my garden this year only to have it freeze and be ruined. To the grocery store I go!

Mary Kelly says:

My sister is visiting this weekend and this will be a perfect thing to make for her. Thank you!

Cara says:

Yum! I love butternut squash, and I absolutely agree with you about some soups being too sweet. Yours sounds great, and I'm definitely going to try it! I've found a couple I like- one that has smoked gouda and bacon, and another with wild rice and smoked sausage (both on my blog). Both are delicious too!

Holman Family says:

This turned out GREAT … thanks for all your efforts in putting together these fantastic recipes!! It was even yummier a few hours later :-)

petite nyonya says:

You have a lovely blog! I like it! And congrats on the award by Barbara Bakes!

Abby says:

thank you! i've been wanting to make a squash soup because it's fall…. and you just have to. I actually thought the SAME thing yesterday when I was shopping and saw all the assortments of squash- what the heck do you do with that? now I know!

Super cool. Homemade pizza is a favorite at our house. The only thing that could possibly make it better is to make it FASTER!

Thanks for the fun giveaway.

LollyChops says:

Do you think you could replace the squash with pumpkin?

Yes Lolly, you could totally use pumpkin!

Wendy says:

This was awesome Sara. My kids loved it too, so that's always a bonus. I love how easy it was so make. I wish I had this recipe back when I was pureeing squash everyday for baby food.

The G squad is: says:

I wondered if you could tell me the easiest way to cut up the squash…do you cook it first and de-skin it?

Yummy! I was just thinking about pumpkin soup, but now I think I'll have to make this one instead. I love soups like this.

Stacy says:

Hi there. This is so funny – I was at the grocery store when this adorable butternut squash was calling to me….make soup, make soup….
    I've never made butternut squash soup before, so I was just searching for a recipe. I wanted the "right one" when I stumbled across your blog. Thank you so much for this. I'm making it for our dinner tonight!

Stacy says:

Just wanted you to know it was delicious! Thanks for this recipe!

Susan G. says:

It was amazing!! Thanks for sharing such a great recipe. G-Squad I found it easiest to peel the squash with a vegetable peeler and then cut it in half, remove the seeds, and dice away.

Darin, Jenn and Ivy says:

I used the last of the veggies from our CSA to make this=(. It was SO good though. I didn't have any sage left so I used ground cumin instead. It gave it a bit more of a kick. Thanks for another yummy dinner!

Mary Kelly says:

I made this recipe over the weekend and it was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. So tasty and healthy. This recipe will be made over and over again in my kitchen!

wyllo44240 says:

I cut my squash in half, removed the seeds, and baked my squash in the oven – cut sides down – skins on.

I used a small acorn squash and a small butternut, since I wouldn't have had enough of either.

I cooled them in the refrigerator overnight and scooped out the insides with a spoon, then transferred to the blender with the other ingredients.

Anna says:

I'm so glad I found this post and I'm going to go make this soup right now, thanks for sharing!

Shelby says:

yummy recipe as always! it was a great part of our dinner tonight.

Alisha Stamper I Photographer says:

Thank you SO MUCH for this recipe! the only other one I have (and one that I LOVE) is for curried butternut squash soup. I love the flavor of this one, made it today. the potato is such a fantastic compliment, and it is so delicious! I cannot rave enough about how much I love your site– this is the first recipe I've made so far, but I have SO MANY OTHERS marked in my reader… guess now I better get crackin'! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

ItsyBitsyKC says:

This is great! I have been looking for a butternut squash soup recipe that isn't too complicated, and this looks simple and delicious. I have been eating butternut squash baked with lots of butter and brown sugar on top…so this will be a nice change.

ChineseKite says:

this butternut recipe is the best I have tried so far. Tonight, we had it for dinner, yummy and yummy. If interested, see my soup here:http://chinesekite.blogspot.com/2009/11/butternut-squash-soup.html

Ann says:

I made this tonight. We liked it a lot. My little boys wouldn't touch it, but they don't eat much of anything.

It makes a TON.

Needs croutons or crispy breadsticks. Or, my husband suggested, crumbled potato chips. Ha ha.

Tamil Home Recipes says:

Good post.

Natalie says:

I am new to your blog and this is the first recipe I've tried, although it was hard to chose because they all look so great! This was delicious! It has three great natural ingredients for getting over a cold (which I have): onion, garlic, and cayenne pepper. So tasty! I wonder though, if you have tried this with a sweet potato instead for even more of a nutritional punch?

sally says:

This was yummy deliciousness, thanks for the recipe, I'll be making it often!!!!

Amelia Darling says:

I've always added dollop of basil pesto which really adds a great flavor to this soup.

Valerie says:

Thanks so much for posting this recipe! It's the only thing my 20 month old, super stubborn, picky eater will eat! :)

CJ says:

Thanks for the post! I made some butternut soup last week (first time ever) but it was really 'thin' and weak. DH wanted a creamier soup and I am thinking the carrots and potato will help with that. HOPING SO! We are vegan and would not be adding cream or milk to thicken it. I can't wait to try this.

ceodraiocht says:

Looks like the perfect fall soup – thanks for sharing.
    Maggie

*Vanessa & Trevor's Blog* says:

This is SOOO yummy and a super simple soup to make. It doesn't take forever like a lot of soups I have seen. I made it with Pumpkin(a perfect way to use up the pumpkins left over from halloween) and it was YUMMO!!!!! Totally the perfect warm soup for a cold Fall Sunday! Thanks SOOO much! You guys are awesome keep the yummy recipes coming!

Kathy says:

HOw much does this feed? I need something to make this weekend for a potluck before the Light Parade and was thinking this would be good but I have no idea if I should double it or not.

Kathy, I'd say it serves about 6-8. Hope that helps!

Kjerstin says:

Awesomeness… I had a butternut squash lying around for months, and I finally got around to making this soup. I should have made it sooner because its so delicious! And it is insanely easy! Thanks!

Tricia says:

I made this the other day, and it was FANTASTIC! My husband hates soup, and he loved it! He said it tasted like something you’d get at a restaurant. Thanks for the awesome recipe.

Liz Morrissey says:

Just made the Butternut Squash Soup in an effort to get some veggies into my 2 year old…Amazing! He and I slurped it right up! Thanks so much, it was perfect!

YUM!!! I too have been looking for the perfect butternut squash/pumpkin soup recipe! Can’t wait to try yours and see if it’s the one for me.

Marianne says:

Do you think subbing out canned pumpkin would work?

Gail says:

Hi Sara, nice soup!~ But the squash isn’t roasted as your recipe title implies…..?

Lol, I just added the printable version of this a few days ago and I probably threw in the word “roasted” because I’m working on another recipe with roasted squash right now! Fixed :)

Holly says:

Absolutely wonderful! I am going to learn to cook with your wonderful blog. I am soooo excited!

Telly says:

I just made this soup and love it. Even my pickiest eater said< "this isn't too bad".

I just made this… It was sooo good. My husband doesn’t like squash but he had 3 servings of this:) Thanks you so much for posting this.

Liz says:

I can hardly wait to try this as it’s simmering on the stove right now and smells fantastic. This will be the third time we’ve had soup this week. Can’t get enough of it with the (finally) cooler weather!

Kelli says:

I used pumpkin instead of butternut squash and it was so yummy!!! I added some pumpkin pie spice and a dash of cloves. It was a soup the whole family enjoyed it.

Gaby says:

Absolutely delicious!! it’s a keeper! thanks for sharing.

I added Ginger to mine…it gave it a little bit of spice that was SO NICE!

Jodie Edgington says:

Made it and liked it-Have you ever frozen this??

Cyndee says:

I found that the squash was really difficult to peel and cut up so I tried baking it. Just cut off the stem and rub the whole squash with olive oil and bake until tender. 35 min or so at 350. Just chop and add to your soup. I wonder if you blanched it or microwaved it if it would speed up the process. I added cilantro and chopped tomatoes in one batch. My new favorite vegetable.

Diane Dutson says:

Looks yummy! One of my favorite ways to make winter squash is to cube it up and roast it with butter, s & p, and parmesan cheese. So good and even squash haters love it. I roast it at 400 for about an hour because it’s not as good mushy.

Theresa says:

Delicious!!

Debbie says:

Pumpkin soup is a staple in the land down under and I have searched the web for years to try and find a recipe to duplicate the flavors found there in just about every restaurant we visited, this one is soooo close. After years of experimenting with pumpkin soup recipes I have discovered ways to alter the flavor, adding a few tsps of cooking sherry adds a wonderful flavor to go with italian food and some curry with coconut milk added gives this a more Thai flavor. If you want sweet without the pumkin pie flavor add honey.

Melanee says:

Wow, this was soooo good! I totally feel the same about sweet/pumpkin pie-spiced soups and have been hunting for a good savory squash soup. This was perfect. Thanks!

Sherri says:

Yummmm!! I made this last night for dinner and the WHOLE family loved it. I topped it with a swirl of sour cream and Sriracha hot sauce, then topped with the homemade croutons. Loved it so much I’m eating leftovers for lunch and I never eat leftovers! Thanks for the great recipe! (I did make one change, I baked my squash and added it at the end because I hate cubing it ;))

I made this and we all LOVE it! My one question is in your recipe you don’t call for red pepper, however in your instructions you include it?!? I just left it out- is that correct?

jen says:

I looked…i definitely don’t see it… no red pepper in your ingredients list.

1/2 T olive oil
    1 T butter
    1/2 C sliced carrots (abt 1 med carrot or 12 baby ones)
    2 stalks celery, diced
    1 C diced onion
    4 large garlic cloves, minced
    1 medium butternut squash, (abt 4 cups peeled and diced)
    1 medium potato, diced (about 2 C diced)
    32 oz chicken broth (that’s one box/carton)
    1 T brown sugar
    1 1/2 t kosher salt
    3/4 t dried sage
    1 pinch cayenne pepper or a douse of hot sauce

Lol- Cayenne is red pepper!

jen says:

oooh, maybe you’re meaning the cayenne pepper, and I’m just thinking straight up red pepper! ha!

Anissa says:

I made this with sugar pumpkins that I canned. It was about 4 cups of pureed pumpkin. It is AWESOME. It’s amazing that a soup so rich and creamy has no cream or milk whatsoever. Healthy and delicious!

A. Graham says:

This is a wonderful fall soup! I had never eaten a butternut squash so I had no idea what to expect. It is simply amazing!

Barb K says:

This is the best butternut squash soup I’ve had in a long time. I love that its not a heavy cream soup but tastes rich like one. This is a true winner! Did I mention it’s a snap to toss together and tastes like it cooked all day.

Cindy says:

I was curious about the calorie count, so I input all the ingredients and their measurements into my handy dandy Fitness Pal. For six servings it comes out at 176 calories and 4.6 grams of fat. Not too shabby. I’ll be trying this recipe on Sunday by letting everything simmer in my crock-pot while at church and then blending just before dinner. Looks delicious!

TatertotMama says:

I am going to make this for a friend that is vegan, has anyone tried making this using vegetable broth rather than the chicken broth?

Cynthia Lovell says:

This was EXCELLENT Soup!!!! We LOVED it!!! (We left out the brown sugar because our squash
    was plenty sweet without it.) We added salt & pepper to our servings and cream.

Megan says:

Hey there! I just wanted to thank you for this great recipe! I found it on Pinterest a couple months ago and have made it about 5 or 6 times! It’s the best soup I’ve ever had!

Diane Combs says:

I have tried a few different butternut squash recipes and there was always something missing. I made yours the other night and it is delicious!! I took some to a friend yesterday and she loved it and asked me for the recipe this morning :-)

Susan S. says:

THis soup is great. I substitued a sweet potatoe for the white potatoe and then didn’t need any sugar. Love this soup – it makes me feel smart (and happy)!