Posted in Kate, Pork, Skewers

I feel like I’ve been churning out unnatural amounts of food from my kitchen since mid-October and I’m just done. I swear, we’ve only eaten frozen pizza and cold cereal in the last week-and-a-half and I’m not a tiny bit sorry. Problem is, we still have New Year’s Eve festivities and, well, the fam can only handle so much Raisin Bran, you know?

When it comes to appetizers, these are about as easy and crowd-pleasing (and completely addictive) as they come. I also love them because you can pop them in a slow cooker set to low and keep them warm all night. Sure, they’re a heart attack on a toothpick, but that’s why these are New Year’s EVE appetizers–go wild the night before and then you can break out the celery sticks and cottage cheese the next day.
Bacon-Wrapped Cocktail Sausages
Recipe from Our Best Bites
1 14-oz. package Lit’l Smokies
1 12-oz. package lean bacon
3/4 c. brown sugar

Preheat your oven to 325 and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Using a pair of kitchen shears, cut the slab of bacon into thirds.

Wrap 1/3 of each slice of bacon around each sausage and secure with a toothpick and place on the baking sheet.

Repeat with remaining sausages and bacon. When I was making these, the stars somehow aligned and this package of Lit’l Smokies and Hormel Black Label bacon matched up completely–no leftover bacon, no leftover sausage. Sprinkle brown sugar over sausages

and bake at 325 for 40-45 minutes or until bacon has cooked and is starting to brown.

If you’re serving these at a party, they taste even better after a little time in the slow cooker on low heat. And that bacon grease that has co-mingled with the brown sugar? Let’s just not think about what it actually is and focus on how that salty-sweetness is a perfect glaze for these little suckers.

belinhagulosinha says:

hummmmmmm,I loved it, wonderful, good years

Tonya says:

In England we call these pigs in blankets :-)

The Local Cook says:

I had these for the first time at a potluck this year. You're right, best not think about what it is and just enjoy the taste :-)

Lindsey@creativeattempts says:

mmm, my favorite :)

Britt says:

I make these more than I probably should…if we're transporting them somewhere, I pour maple syrup in the crock pot before putting the little smokies in. I think it helps them from drying out, but it's also delicious.

Rooster Inn Primitives says:

I have made these before and they are awesome.

And i made the pretzels with the rolo's at Christmas and everyone loved them. And now they will be making them.

Love love your site

Tiffany says:

YUMMY….I've made those and added a wedge of pineapple to the toothpick!

Julie says:

You had me at bacon..yummo!

Meals by Misty says:

I picked a crappy day to give up bacon. These are so good!

Atticelf says:

These look REALLY tasty. Adding them to my list…

The Food Hunter says:

I'll take a few :-)

Whitney says:

OOOOOHH I love those! We had them in the dutch oven and you CAN NOT just eat one–very bad for the waistline!

Tauni says:

These have been a long-time New Year's tradition in my family. So delicious!

Melanie says:

My husband loves these. They are delish.

kim says:

looks good, but the only thing i fear is it being too salty. lil smokies alone are already salty for me. plus bacon too? i can see how brown sugar may balance out the saltiness, but we'll see! :) thanks for the inspiration.

Derek and Mary says:

I won!!! How awesome! I emailed you guys yesterday. These look so good. My sister and her boyfriend are coming over for NYE and I think we may have to try these! We made the pretzel/rollos over Christmas and they were a HUGE hit, yummy!

Christa says:

I've been making these for a few years and my family can't get enough of them. They're requested for nearly every potluck and get together. Unfortunately, I've probably single-handedly shortened all our life spans. =P

Melissa says:

Have you made bacon wrapped water chestnuts? So yummy…everyone kind of frowns when I say what it is but they absolutely love them! Wrap bacon around the water chestnuts and hold together with a toothpick and bake for an hour. Pour the sauce over (1 cup sugar and 1 cup ketchup mixed) and change the toothpicks so they are clean and back for another hour. It's my favorite appetizer for Christmas time and New Year's!

lefsegirl says:

These are delish! :) I usually add more brown sugar and a little pinepple juice about half way through cooking. The juice adds just a little more flavor/sweetness, and yes, these are better when served out of a slow cooker. Happy New Year!

So yummy–these have been a new year's tradition for us since we got married!

Lisa says:

These were the biggest hit at our New Years Eve bash! I know they will become a tradition from here on out! Thank you Kate & Sara!

Tara says:

These little babies were delish! I'm not an eater of cocktail weinies, but these were yummy and I couldn't resist. Thanks!

Donna says:

YUM! I made these last night for our superbowl party- Defiantly the fan favorite! thanks for the super easy recipe!

Tupper Cooks! says:

Oink, oink, oink!!!!

Royleane says:

my friend made these for us only she used the lower fat little smokies and used turkey bacon! They were still yummy and a little better for you!

yes, they are all mine says:

Going to sound dumb but here goes…. How do you keep them together in the crockpot?? you stick them with a tooth pick in the oven but what do you use in the crockpot? Thnk you for helping the crockpot challenged :)

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

yes, they are all mine (love the name, by the way! :) )–They'll still stick together just fine in the crockpot, just leave the toothpicks in them after you bake them. Does that make sense?

Jessica says:

Does anyone know if I can substitute Nathan's cocktail franks in place of the lil' smokies? I have to make gluten-free options for my niece because she has celiac disease, and those are the only certified gluten free. They're not smoked, just regular franks. Thank you!

Lisa says:

We have made the little cocktails with bacon around them for years now. I just made them for New Years & the only ones that my store had were the Nathans brand & they turned out great. No difference. Hope this helps.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Jessica–I truly have no idea. :) Honestly, the Little Smokies are definitely "sturdier" and they are smoked, so those things ultimately contribute to the flavor and texture. But it's kind of a trend in the food world right now to wrap hot dogs in bacon. But then those are usually grilled.

Ultimately, your niece's safety is the most important thing and you don't want to make anything that will make her sick. But this is one thing I think you'd have to try to see how it would turn out.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Pep says:

Julie,

Search google for Gluten Free Hormel. http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/glutenfree/default.aspx

I believe that the Lil Smokies are gluten free.

Pep says:

Sorry, I meant Jessica not Julie.. :( Name Fail!

Sheri says:

Made these before but used maple bacon.

imagrandma2five says:

I had these for the first time this Christmas at my DIL's. You could have just set the plate in front of me and I would have been a happy camper. They are good!

Tracy (Oklahoma) says:

I make this quite frequently. I wrap a quarter of a piece of bacon around each link then place seam side down in a 9×13 dish, line them up right next to each other (no spacing necessary) and bake. The bacon adheres to the little smokie during the cooking process thus no need for toothpicks. I also sometimes add a little mustard to the brown sugar and make a glaze and then bake. It adds a nice little zing to it. I also love them with just the brown sugar sans mustard. They are delicious either way!!

Jessica says:

Just wanted to mention – I made them using regular cocktail franks for New Year's (due to the celiac/gluten issue) and they were fantastic!! Thanks so much!

Moms of all Trades says:

PERFECT for our Super Bowl Party Thank so much

These were FANTASTIC. I made a batch for our Super Bowl party, and of all the appetizers I made (a lot of them from this site!) these were the favorite and went first.

Eloise says:

these were as easy as 1-2-3! and got gobbled up very fast!! i used the oven method and the slow cooker, the verdict?: slow cooker. thank you once again ladies!

Misty says:

If you need to make these in a large quantity you can layer them in a crockpot (one layer of smokies, cover with brown sugar, smokies, sugar, and so on) We LOVE this recipe and use it often!

Debbie says:

I have made these for years. The gal that I got the recipe from was named Arleen so we nicknamed these Arleenie’s Weinies! They are the best!

Lindsay says:

Ok…so are you supposed to cook them in the oven and then put them in the crockpot? Or do you just put them in the crockpot on low to cook – and if so, how long do you cook them for?

Thanks so much!!!

Lindsay says:

Thanks Kate!

Mary says:

I make these up the night ahead and let the brown sugar really marinate with the bacon and smokies…super yummy!

Fran Viney says:

I had these at a Thanksgiving dinner. No brown sugar. No crock pot. Just baked in the oven with no toothpick. Toothpicks were separate. They were brought from a home an hour away. Probably room temperature in a nice bowl. They were gone in record time. Delicious!

Sheila says:

These are wonderful. We call them Pig Candy!!

Michelle says:

i serve them with a tasty dip, 1/4 C mayo 1/4 C mild or hot chili sauce 1/2 C brown sugar…make the night before & chill…delish!!

Cherish says:

I just made these for my hubby’s birthday party and they were a huge hit. One guest called them epic.

ok says:

sprinkle with maple syrup when done, Delicious!

red8monkey says:

i doubt that the bacon that you are using is really lean. i had the same “hormet original black label”. pan fried it, a lot of oil came out. very oily.

[...]  We invited everyone over to my parent’s hours and celebrated with recipes found here, here, and here, as well as deviled eggs, chicken wings tossed in Buffalo Wild Wings sauce, taco dip, [...]

Ned Adams says:

This is my favorite! I will cook these for bowl games and other big football games. They are super tasty!

[...] 10. Bacon Wrapped Cocktail Sausages [...]

Debby says:

I made these for Christmas but used Nathans Beef mini hot dogs. They were soooo good, they disappeared very quickly. I am making a batch just for my hubby and me for New Years Eve.

Rikki-Dee says:

I love these. When invited to a get together I have been told that I will not be let in if I don’t bring these.

Denise Bell says:

I make these every year for Christmas but use way more brown sugar. Absolutely delicious! I prepare them the night before our party and bake them an hour before people come and throw them in a warm crock pot to have throughout the night—if they last!

Mollie says:

We LOVE these and call them Bacon Crack!!! Try them with cheese smokies too!

[…] Meat covered in meat? Sign us up. These are great to serve up as an appetizer, and even better to use as finger foods during the big game. [View Recipe] […]

[…] Bacon-Wrapped Sausages […]